Pta

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Pta

Post by simpsonhey » 29 Dec 2018, 9:41 pm

So im half way thru my first rimfire pta for my 17. Can i put another one in for a 22lr now or should i wait for first to come back
simpsonhey
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Pta

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 29 Dec 2018, 11:12 pm

Nothing wrong with putting another iron in the fire mate if you have the money to buy another rifle do so i have had two ptas in at the same time.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by simpsonhey » 30 Dec 2018, 6:19 am

Yes but a normall online one takes about 2 weeks. And i still have just over 2 weeks for my first ever one i put in not sure what will happen
simpsonhey
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 30 Dec 2018, 7:22 am

If this is a qld pta? The 28 day wait doesn't get waived until the first firearm is added to ya license in the system this can take a couple of weeks after the actual purchase of ya firearm. So put another in now or wait a couple of weeks after ya purchase then ring wlb to confirm its been added in the system probably works out roughly the same. :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 30 Dec 2018, 11:12 am

Personally I think PTAs are a PITA.
The sale and transfer from the dealer is all registered with FAR, it's just another layer of unnecessary, time wasting red tape.

Our shooters licence is called a firearms permit, surely that is the only permit we should need to acquire the firearms our permits permit.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 30 Dec 2018, 1:49 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:Personally I think PTAs are a PITA.
The sale and transfer from the dealer is all registered with FAR, it's just another layer of unnecessary, time wasting red tape.

Our shooters licence is called a firearms permit, surely that is the only permit we should need to acquire the firearms our permits permit.

It’s completely insane and nothing but an additional money spinner for the govt - oh and yes, it’s another layer of firearm “security” to satisfy the nuckwits out there.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by simpsonhey » 30 Dec 2018, 4:53 pm

Nsw
simpsonhey
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 31 Dec 2018, 1:13 pm

simpsonhey wrote:Nsw

Ok I'd ring ya far (or maybe another nswelshman could chime in :D ) and ask them when the 28 day wait is waived ie after the first pta approval or agter the first firearm is added to ya license. ..my guess would be the latter? :unknown:
Or just put it in and see?? :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 31 Dec 2018, 1:21 pm

Daddybang wrote:

Ok I'd ring ya far (or maybe another nswelshman could chime in :D ) and ask them when the 28 day wait is waived ie after the first pta approval or agter the first firearm is added to ya license. ..my guess would be the latter? :unknown:

It's after the first one is added to your name and each category is treated the same, 28 days for first cat A, 28 for first Cat B and so on. I generally recommend to new license holders in NSW to lodge both Cat A & B PTA's so the clock starts ticking early. PTA's are valid for 3 months so there's plenty of time between picking up that first rimfire to saving / deciding on a first centrefire.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Geech » 31 Dec 2018, 10:02 pm

brett1868 wrote:
Daddybang wrote:

It's after the first one is added to your name and each category is treated the same, 28 days for first cat A, 28 for first Cat B and so on. I generally recommend to new license holders in NSW to lodge both Cat A & B PTA's so the clock starts ticking early. PTA's are valid for 3 months so there's plenty of time between picking up that first rimfire to saving / deciding on a first centrefire.

Not sure if it’s a new thing, but Cat A & B are considered the same when it comes to the 28 wait - ie once you’ve acquired a Cat A, you don’t need to wait another 28 days for a Cat B.

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/online_se ... tions#pta5
Geech
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 01 Jan 2019, 12:34 pm

Not sure if it’s a new thing, but Cat A & B are considered the same when it comes to the 28 wait - ie once you’ve acquired a Cat A, you don’t need to wait another 28 days for a Cat B.

No, they are not considered the same, It's 28 Days for the first firearm in each category. I've just had to wait 28 days for a couple of H3 PTA's on my Cat G license despite have multiple firearms registered on my Cat A, B & H.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 01 Jan 2019, 1:13 pm

When I got back in to shooting ,the trap i fell in to i submitted 2 pta One a one b.
Before I had a registered a firearm one each I had submitted 2 more pta one a one b the first pta set i had to wait 28 days plus post the second pta set i had to wait an additional 28 day plus post .
But once i had a fire arm on the licence my 5 pta came back before the 3rd and 4th IT when stuff like this happens you realize Idiots wrote some laws
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Geech » 01 Jan 2019, 9:59 pm

brett1868 wrote:

No, they are not considered the same, It's 28 Days for the first firearm in each category. I've just had to wait 28 days for a couple of H3 PTA's on my Cat G license despite have multiple firearms registered on my Cat A, B & H.

The link I posted above suggests otherwise. My first Cat A PTA was processed much quicker than 28 days as well (after I’d served it for my first Cat B). As I said, it only applies to A/B according to the FAR website
Geech
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 02 Jan 2019, 1:02 am

I transferred 2 cat B and one cat A on the same application here and they processed together I already have a license and I paid one notation fee
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Kaid » 04 Jan 2019, 7:23 am

Hey Guys just to let you know I have received my first PTA but I"am still waiting for my licence. Crazy is't

I'am never wrong throught I was once but I was mistaken
I'am never wrong, thought I was once but I was mistaken
Kaid
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 04 Jan 2019, 7:51 am

Kaid wrote:Hey Guys just to let you know I have received my first PTA but I"am still waiting for my licence. Crazy is't

And welcome to the sh@tshow that is firearms ownership in aus. Don't try to work it all out ya just end up with a headache!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles