rifle stock for heavy kickers

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Re: rifle stock for heavy kickers

Post by Daddybang » 02 Jan 2019, 8:24 am

You know the stuff Daddybang :thumbsup:
It is Australia's answer to ebony in a way. When struck with an axe or chainsaw it sparks and leaves no noticeable scar. It doesn't really have a nice stock grain that I have noticed but if made into a stock it would be heavy and dent resistant :thumbsup: If you could get someone to cut it into a stock :lol:
I have used Blackbean before as well, it is really nice.[/quote]

Yep stoney it's slightly harder than African blackwood which in turn is slightly harder than ebony and that probably explains why I've only seen it used for structures or stumps for watertanks etc. Shaping a piece for a stock would be "interesting" :lol: :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 02 Jan 2019, 10:35 am

Yep stoney it's slightly harder than African blackwood which in turn is slightly harder than ebony.

Well I didn't know that. You learn something new every day. :D
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by trekin » 03 Jan 2019, 6:23 am

An opion for your gidgee would be to laminate pieces as a "skin" on the outside of another type of timber.
Blue gum salvaged from 1890's miners cottage;
20160927_124503.jpg
20160927_124503.jpg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 2882 times

20160927_124443.jpg
20160927_124443.jpg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 2882 times

20170802_125922.jpg
20170802_125922.jpg (1.93 MiB) Viewed 2882 times

Not quarter sawn, so didn't have much in the way of grain, but did have some nice fiddleback (a bit hard to see in photos of stock)
20161128_081107.jpg
20161128_081107.jpg (1.97 MiB) Viewed 2882 times
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 03 Jan 2019, 10:08 am

[quote="Die Judicii"]Rod,,,,,,
Thanks for the extra info Mate.
That Purple Waddy sounds absolutely fascinating.
I'm guessing that it too is a very slow grower. (I will Dr Google it)

What would be the chances of getting some seeds Mate ?

I love growing trees from seed, and used to grow hundreds of many differing eucalypts and acacias.
[/quote]

Mate, we are 'enjoying' the start of our 8th year of drought, so dont hold your breath on Gidyea seeds...

However, I'll keep an eye out to see if any trees start seeding. I know the wild passionfruits have seeded, as have a few of the othe rnatives, so maybe the Gidyea as well..
Pretty sure the Red-Wing Lorikeets eat the seeds like crazy, so I'll keep an eye on them.

There is also a type of Gidyea down towards Boulia called 'Poison Gidyea', which has large quantities of Sodium Fluroacetate in the leaves.
Thats the main ingredient of 1080 poison.
During drought conditions, people in that area have to fence those trees off, as the cattle will die from eating the leaves.
When I was still working for DPIQ (~1999), I remember the Stock Inspector from Winton, being called down to inspect a mass death of cattle who'd broken into a fenced-off area of Poison Gidyea...

Waddy Wood sounds to be highly restricted, so likely nigh impossible to find.

I'll keep in mind the need to find some of the local Gidyea seeds...

There is another tree we seem to have a very small number of; a Bootlace Oak (Hakea Lorea). NO idea what the wood is like, but it's another unsual tree (for this area - likely common as muck elsewhere..).

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 15 Jan 2019, 1:17 pm

Die Judicii,

Attached is another possible option for your stock; called Boree.

Cousin of the Gidyea(another Acacia), but slightly easier to work. We used to often use Boree through the 'Donkey' Hot Water System, as it burns slightly cooler than Gidyea, but easier to chop fallen trees up. Boree tend to grow into bigger trees than gidyea in the same soil, but often out-grow their roots, and get toppled in big storms(or split in half). It's quite a heavy,dense wood, though. Still not quite as hard as Gidyea, but still harder than most woods I've seen stocks made from!

Not sure what it's like for splitting; I expect if you kept the stock well-oiled, I dont think it'd be a huge problem. This vase was bought as-is some 20 years back, from a bloke at Blackall, who was making them from old fence posts. I simply cleaned it and oiled it, and I'm not seeing a lot of signs that it's split badly in the mean-time.

Food for thought, at any rate. The heart-wood has a nice dark grain in it.

Cheers,

Rod.
Cheers,

Rod.
Attachments
20190113_165718 (2).JPG
Boree Fencepost turned into vase.
20190113_165718 (2).JPG (438.59 KiB) Viewed 2814 times
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal