NSW new licence application how long?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by zhuk » 15 Dec 2018, 9:26 pm

Well that seems about 'normal', JWD...or what was previously normal, anyway...six weeks for me, start to finish, once upon a time lol

Anyway good to hear and here's hoping its getting ironed out now. Had a nice surprise yesterday, my Cat H PTA is now being processed, exactly 2 weeks after online submission....thought it was going to be much longer from what I'd heard.
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by GojiraSteve » 19 Dec 2018, 1:58 pm

JWD40 wrote:So I've now just had another licence application 'new licence' reach 'issued to service NSW for photo advice' just 28 days after they received it.

How does that happen!? Mines at 65 days and still hasn't moved!
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Pyroteq » 19 Dec 2018, 4:51 pm

selaga wrote:For reference, target is 409 053 351 (NSW01) aka Sydney branch.

Hope that helps someone out there.

Nice, anyone know what the number for SSAA NSW hunting is?

Tried to get in contact with them but no luck today.

Gotta love the random hurdles the FAR throws in front of you.
Pyroteq
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 19 Dec 2018, 5:40 pm

GojiraSteve wrote:
JWD40 wrote:So I've now just had another licence application 'new licence' reach 'issued to service NSW for photo advice' just 28 days after they received it.

Your tax dollars busily at work for you.
Scary thought.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by JWD40 » 20 Dec 2018, 8:09 pm

GojiraSteve wrote:

Give them a call bud, if your application is in the system and has been listed as "NEW APPLICATION IN PROGRESS - NOT AUTHORISED FOR FIREARMS" for the past 65 days. Then something might be wrong with your application. Loads of applications more recent than yours have been approved now.
JWD40
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by JWD40 » 20 Dec 2018, 8:17 pm

Pyroteq wrote:
selaga wrote:For reference, target is 409 053 351 (NSW01) aka Sydney branch.

Hope that helps someone out there.

Nice, anyone know what the number for SSAA NSW hunting is?

Tried to get in contact with them but no luck today.

Gotta love the random hurdles the FAR throws in front of you.

What are you after ?
I normally just call whatever number i can find and let the person on the end deal with transferring me to the right person.
JWD40
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by GojiraSteve » 21 Dec 2018, 3:29 pm

JWD40 wrote:
GojiraSteve wrote:

Give them a call bud, if your application is in the system and has been listed as "NEW APPLICATION IN PROGRESS - NOT AUTHORISED FOR FIREARMS" for the past 65 days. Then something might be wrong with your application. Loads of applications more recent than yours have been approved now.

Cheers mate,
I called them today. They couldn't see any problem. Just gave me the standard "high volumes of work" line. :unknown:
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Alpha2 » 04 Jan 2019, 8:18 pm

Mines at 41 days still saying “new application - not authorised for firearms” I guess they pick and choose who they approve and when
Alpha2
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by JWD40 » 06 Jan 2019, 4:37 pm

Alpha2 wrote:Mines at 41 days still saying “new application - not authorised for firearms” I guess they pick and choose who they approve and when

I'd say it's more like they have a mix of online applications and a mess of paperwork applications. I could dig around to give you a more solid answer about applications entered around 43 days ago, but at this point i'm guessing, and my guess is one of two options, either something is funky with your application and it's slowing it down, or you sent it in as a paper application and it's in a pile of paper chaos. But just my guess at this point.
JWD40
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by simon223 » 06 Jan 2019, 6:17 pm

I rang the firearms registry on Friday about getting application forms and they said everything is online now so they are doing away with the paper trail hopefully it doesn’t take me 3 months to get my licence once I have everything done!
simon223
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 07 Jan 2019, 9:52 am

I spoke to a Sydney dealer last week who said there is a backlog of something like 900 PTAs atm...so you can imagine licensing would be banked up too
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by poid » 09 Jan 2019, 6:01 pm

I submitted my paper application late November, FAR listed as received on 29 November. It was referred to Service NSW on 29 December, and I got the photo advice yesterday (8 Jan). That's much faster than I expected, especially during the holiday period.

Might just depend on whose desk your app happens to land on?
poid
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by JWD40 » 15 Jan 2019, 7:15 am

zhuk wrote:I spoke to a Sydney dealer last week who said there is a backlog of something like 900 PTAs atm...so you can imagine licensing would be banked up too

I'm not convinced this is the case any more. I'm not saying you or the dealer is wrong, but everything i'm seeing is indicating that the backlog has been cleared.

I've been keeping an eye on over 40 licence applications and 15 PTA's in the past 10 months. In that time frame, I've seen licence applications go from an average of 60 days, then after the Edwards issue in July, within 1 month of the incident, they skyrocketed to an average of 130 days. Since then, the wait time has been slowly dropping by roughly 10 days per fortnight. Some time around late October, the average wait time plummeted to around 40 days. The wait time now appears to be shorter that i have personally ever seen it. I haven't included postage or paperwork handling time above, this is purely processing time.

But what I've also seen is that the new Service NSW system is removing an average of 20-30 days off the whole process by removing the postage and paper handling time.

My opinion is this:
That if you're posting your application in by snail mail, add 30 days to your expected wait time (give or take)
And if your licence application is taking more than 50 days (excluding postage), there's something holding up your application.
JWD40
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by GojiraSteve » 15 Jan 2019, 8:09 am

JWD40 wrote:
zhuk wrote:And if your licence application is taking more than 50 days (excluding postage), there's something holding up your application.

Hey JWD40,

For someone whose app is now at 93 days (marked as "New Application in Progress - Not Authorised for Firearrms" effective 15/10/2018). Are you able to shed any light on what particular issues might cause the app to be held up?

I called the registry and just got the "high volumes of work" line...
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JWD40 » 15 Jan 2019, 9:05 am

GojiraSteve wrote:
JWD40 wrote:
zhuk wrote:And if your licence application is taking more than 50 days (excluding postage), there's something holding up your application.

Hey JWD40,

For someone whose app is now at 93 days (marked as "New Application in Progress - Not Authorised for Firearrms" effective 15/10/2018). Are you able to shed any light on what particular issues might cause the app to be held up?

I called the registry and just got the "high volumes of work" line...

I'd help you if I could, but knowing what might be holding up your specific application is beyond my level of knowledge (I don't work for FAR, I've just monitored a bunch of applications and have seen the pattern).

I will say this. The "high volumes of work" or the "unusually high number of applications" line is a script that isn't necessarily accurate. I'm very confident they aren't trying to make you wait longer for no reason. But for whatever reason, they don't seem to be allowed to give out definitive reasons until an application has either failed or been approved.

If you're waiting longer than everyone else, these would be my guesses:

1. If you submitted it via paper, it's currently sitting in a pile somewhere or in the processes of being transferred between Service NSW and FAR. If this is the case, hopefully it will be found soon.

2. If you've done something unusual on your application, such as make an error in street name, or fail to include a genuine reason. They may be deciding if it needs to be fixed on a new application or if they can ignore the mistake.

3. Your background check is taking a while to come back, i'm not sure where they get their information from, but it takes them time to receive the information and i believe the time it takes is out of their control. My guess would be that it's unlikely there is an "issue" with your background check, as this would probably result in a failed application and they would tell you on the phone that your application failed.
JWD40
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Zeju » 15 Jan 2019, 3:38 pm

Hey guys, how's it going?

Similar boat to a few others that have posted here. I did my course and sent away for the forms at the end of October, didn't get them and had to call up. They sent me a copy out that came in November, ended up sending them away and finally after about a month and a half they received my license application on 13-12-2018.

So, now I'm just waiting I guess. JWD40 you seem surprisingly well informed, it's nice to have positive feedback coming and the fact that others have verified your predictions. It's good to have another forum specifically for shooting and the sport in Australia to hang out on, because I'm a sucker for forum conversation in free time and Whirlpool's shooting thread is sadly quite devoid of life.

Looking back to my form, when I submitted my application (paper application which I sent a day or two before they switched to online), everything was doubled checked by a couple of other people as well. It was standard A+B hunting & sport shooting, w/ SSAA as the club of choice. I supplied a photocopy of the SSAA letter and card as I didn't have access to a principal club official, but the form stated you can send in a photocopy or get a club official to sign it so I'm not really worried about the form. Just waiting for the good news, I hope.
Zeju
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by JWD40 » 16 Jan 2019, 2:12 pm

Zeju wrote:Looking back to my form, when I submitted my application (paper application which I sent a day or two before they switched to online), everything was doubled checked by a couple of other people as well. It was standard A+B hunting & sport shooting, w/ SSAA as the club of choice. I supplied a photocopy of the SSAA letter and card as I didn't have access to a principal club official, but the form stated you can send in a photocopy or get a club official to sign it so I'm not really worried about the form. Just waiting for the good news, I hope.

Unfortunately it's a waiting game, it can be painfully long if you're excited haha.

13-12-2018, did your licence cracked 4121 or is it still 4120 ? it must be very close

I'm guessing you'll see the status updated sometime around second week of feb, give or take 1 week. But that's just an average. Yours could be faster or slower than that. With a bit more information i could probably be even more accurate (PM me if you're interested).
JWD40
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by JWD40 » 16 Jan 2019, 10:09 pm

Did a bit of digging to see where things are at these days with FAR applications. (I hadn't kept up to date for a month or two).
At the moment, looks like the wait time has gone down a further 20 days or so. Average wait time between receipt of application and "refer to service NSW" is now down to about 35-40 days.

I'm seeing applications submitted end November getting "Issued" by 10th of Jan
and
I'm seeing applications submitted mid December getting "Refer to NSW" by 15th of Jan
JWD40
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by lionet » 21 Jan 2019, 2:46 pm

Mine is marked 'New Application in Progress' since 12 Oct 2018. Still the same to date.

I'm applying for Cate A and Cate B with reason HUNTING/TARGET SHOOTING. My supporting material is the letter from SSAA coz I'm told that was enough.

I think I might be close on setting the new waiting record here. Called them a month ago. Got the 'backlog' BS. I went from excited, to anxious, to agonized, to outrageous, to disappointed, to not feeling anything now :) Kinda like break up. Hope for nothing and they can't hurt you right?

I'm not a citizen, just a permanent resident visa holder. Wonder I just happen to have the wrong last name, or my material was not enough, which they wouldn't tell me anyway.
lionet
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by JWD40 » 21 Jan 2019, 9:38 pm

lionet wrote:Mine is marked 'New Application in Progress' since 12 Oct 2018. Still the same to date.

I'm applying for Cate A and Cate B with reason HUNTING/TARGET SHOOTING. My supporting material is the letter from SSAA coz I'm told that was enough.

I think I might be close on setting the new waiting record here.

There are a very small number of people who still haven't been issued a licence since application went in at the start of Aug. So you've still got a while to set some records :)

And yes, SSAA should have been enough.

lionet wrote:I went from excited, to anxious, to agonized, to outrageous, to disappointed, to not feeling anything now :) Kinda like break up. Hope for nothing and they can't hurt you right?

:lol: summed it up pretty well. You can go do P650 shoots at some ranges. That might help the wait

lionet wrote:I'm not a citizen, just a permanent resident visa holder. Wonder I just happen to have the wrong last name, or my material was not enough, which they wouldn't tell me anyway.

they'll tell you once they have finished their assessment. It's probably nothing man, they have probably just jumbled up your paperwork a few times and you've been unlucky. Hang in there!. Of the people who now have licenses, the longest I've seen someone have to wait is 148 days. I know that will hurt to hear. Hopefully things move quicker for you.
JWD40
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 22 Jan 2019, 7:03 am

JWD40 wrote:
lionet wrote:Mine is marked 'New Application in Progress' since 12 Oct 2018. Still the same to date.

I think I might be close on setting the new waiting record here.

There are a very small number of people who still haven't been issued a licence since application went in at the start of Aug. So you've still got a while to set some records :)

And yes, SSAA should have been enough.

lionet wrote:I went from excited, to anxious, to agonized, to outrageous, to disappointed, to not feeling anything now :) Kinda like break up. Hope for nothing and they can't hurt you right?

:lol: summed it up pretty well. You can go do P650 shoots at some ranges. That might help the wait

lionet wrote:I'm not a citizen, just a permanent resident visa holder. Wonder I just happen to have the wrong last name, or my material was not enough, which they wouldn't tell me anyway.

they'll tell you once they have finished their assessment. It's probably nothing man, they have probably just jumbled up your paperwork a few times and you've been unlucky. Hang in there!. Of the people who now have licenses, the longest I've seen someone have to wait is 148 days. I know that will hurt to hear. Hopefully things move quicker for you.

A guy at my club has been waiting since August, same thing he has SSAA as his supporting body.

However, every club I know of does not allow indefinite shoots on a P650, my club told him it's meant to be 4 (though they did give him a few more)
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Mr48Volts » 22 Jan 2019, 9:14 pm

Hi folks, mine was lodged on Oct 28 2018 and it’s been stagnant ever since, I’ve called a few times and have been given the backlog story, I was also told there was nothing wrong with my application, then last week I got a call (it went to voicemail) and the team member from FAR said they are only processing August 2018 applications now. I’m at 85 days, I’ve never had a speeding fine, the worst I’ve had is a parking ticket. To say I’m frustrated is an understatement.
Bear in a human suit.
Savage 17HMR
Browning XBolt .204 Ruger
Tikka T3x .204 Ruger
Howa APC 6.5 Creedmoor
Adler A110
Miroku MK38 Sporter
Mr48Volts
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by lionet » 23 Jan 2019, 9:12 am

JWD40 wrote:There are a very small number of people who still haven't been issued a licence since application went in at the start of Aug. So you've still got a while to set some records :)

You know man, I sent my application with Austrian Post Parcel Express. Cost me $10 but totally worth it because I sent out on 10 Oct and application was lodged on 12 Oct. Compare to other guys' unfortunate struggle with the mail, at that time I felt 'well it's not that bad at all, dodge the bullet there :P' and was hoping to get myself a .22lr for xmas gift hahaha then it's a downward spiral from there. See how naive I was?

As an immigrant I've no doubt dealt with a parade of government bureaucracy but this is by far one of the top 2. I also feel bad for the August guys. P650 shooting means booking and planning and weekends (I'm working full time during the week). And as I live in close suburb in Sydney any range is almost 1-hour drive from any direction. I just want to be able to blow off some steam off work in the evening :D
lionet
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 27 Jan 2019, 8:14 am

hi all,

I just got made VALID :mrgreen: - took me about 70 days as it was a paper-based application initially.

I requested manual forms 19 Nov 2018 (via website). They took a while to arrive but did everything to send in my application so FAR registered as receiving it second week in December. This process took 24 days - the new online process will save new applicants this time :roll: (I sent mine in via Reg Post).

The 28 day waiting period ended on a Monday and by the following Saturday morning the FAR online status check changed to "Referred to Service NSW" (34 days since application received).

On that same Saturday, I went to the nearest ServiceNSW registry to get photo done and was told I need physical letter as they need to send that letter back to FAR :(

Received photo advice letter the following Friday (40 days since application) and photo taken Saturday. Photo licence arrived during the following week later on Wednesday (45 days) but at this stage the online FAR check still said "Referred to ServiceNSW".

Called FAR on Friday as the status had not changed. They said whilst we see "Referred to ServiceNSW", on their side they see multiple status changes occurring each which have a delay (sounded like it's done overnight). These statuses include ServiceNSW acknowledging they've received advice - that I got photo taken (maybe others like they've printed the photo, posted the photo, who knows).

She did indicate that once you get the photo advice you are licenced, however, I wouldn't be able to lodge a PTA until the computers all sync up. She said they knew it was a problem and they've raised improving it - it really was due to the integration process annd the sync of computers needing to occur in batches (in separate sequential events by the sounds of it - like they couldn't do a series of events all in one night).

Anyway, overnight that same Friday, the status changed to "VALID" and on that Saturday I was still not able to submit PTAs. The following day, however, all was resolved. I am now able to submit an application (which I made a mistake in one already .... :x :oops: .. will post a separate question).

So bear that in mind, when ServiceNSW say it takes 10 days to get your photo licence, whilst you may receive the photo licence quickly the computers still took about 8 days to sync up. Interesting in this step, the snail mail method beat the electronic method. Anyway, since the date the application was received it's been 49 days (7 weeks) however the licence issue date was the date I took the photo.

Looking back, it was a relatively smooth process but it was a hard wait as you read a lot of forum posts that indicate the horror waits others have experienced and you just don't know whether it's going to happen to you or not. I think the long waits from last year are probably related to the ServiceNSW / FAR online transition that appear to have went online first week in December, staff shortages at FAR and possibly increased workload from the amnesty.

Thanks to this forum - it's been a great read during the big wait and pretty educational. Hope I can contribute more over time.

Cheers
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JWD40 » 27 Jan 2019, 12:30 pm

Mr48Volts wrote:Hi folks, mine was lodged on Oct 28 2018 and it’s been stagnant ever since, I’ve called a few times and have been given the backlog story, I was also told there was nothing wrong with my application, then last week I got a call (it went to voicemail) and the team member from FAR said they are only processing August 2018 applications now.

If you made that call this year, then what you were told it's not true. August applications were mostly processed late November and early December.

Mr48Volts wrote:I’ve never had a speeding fine, the worst I’ve had is a parking ticket.

Minor traffic offences have no effect on your firearms application

Mr48Volts wrote:To say I’m frustrated is an understatement.

Yours seems to be taking an usually long time, you're not the only one... but you're definitely not in the normal category. As someone else has recently posted, the best thing to do is to no longer care. Assume it's going to be a while, and concentrate on things in life for a bit. If you've requested application paperwork and it hasn't come, calling them can fix this instantly. But if you're application has been entered into the system, calling them can sometimes make you feel a little better, but it generally won't make any difference to the progress.
JWD40
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by JWD40 » 27 Jan 2019, 12:42 pm

lionet wrote: You know man, I sent my application with Austrian Post Parcel Express. Cost me $10 but totally worth it because I sent out on 10 Oct and application was lodged on 12 Oct. Compare to other guys' unfortunate struggle with the mail, at that time I felt 'well it's not that bad at all, dodge the bullet there :P' and was hoping to get myself a .22lr for xmas gift hahaha then it's a downward spiral from there. See how naive I was?

Express post will only have sped it up by a couple of days. The major difference with Express post is that you have peace of mind that they have received it.
The fact that yours was entered into the system 2 days later is both lucky and highly unusual. Most people have to wait weeks for their paper application to be entered into the system. Without express tracking, most people are left wounding if FAR has even received the mail at all.

As for the naivety, i think most would have experienced that at some point. It can be a very long wait when you're excited. Try not to watch the kettle boil.

lionet wrote:As an immigrant I've no doubt dealt with a parade of government bureaucracy but this is by far one of the top 2. I also feel bad for the August guys. P650 shooting means booking and planning and weekends (I'm working full time during the week). And as I live in close suburb in Sydney any range is almost 1-hour drive from any direction. I just want to be able to blow off some steam off work in the evening :D

I'm not sure what you meant by close suburb in Sydney ? If you meant you live in Sydney, there are a few ranges that do try shoot days, some pre-organised, some you have to ring up. Weekends included. The firearms have generally seen loads of use and accuracy isn't great, but it can be fun anyway.
If any of them kick a stink about doing too many P650's, just give them your licence number and just tell them that you're still waiting.
JWD40
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Mr48Volts » 29 Jan 2019, 9:52 am

Well done mate, I'm at 92 days now and it was a paper based application too, I'm getting jack of waiting, tried to call this morning, got the "we're really busy call back in 30 mins message and then was hung up on", seems the place is run by bloody clowns.

rookie wrote:hi all,

I just got made VALID :mrgreen: - took me about 70 days as it was a paper-based application initially.

I requested manual forms 19 Nov 2018 (via website). They took a while to arrive but did everything to send in my application so FAR registered as receiving it second week in December. This process took 24 days - the new online process will save new applicants this time :roll: (I sent mine in via Reg Post).

The 28 day waiting period ended on a Monday and by the following Saturday morning the FAR online status check changed to "Referred to Service NSW" (34 days since application received).

On that same Saturday, I went to the nearest ServiceNSW registry to get photo done and was told I need physical letter as they need to send that letter back to FAR :(

Received photo advice letter the following Friday (40 days since application) and photo taken Saturday. Photo licence arrived during the following week later on Wednesday (45 days) but at this stage the online FAR check still said "Referred to ServiceNSW".

Called FAR on Friday as the status had not changed. They said whilst we see "Referred to ServiceNSW", on their side they see multiple status changes occurring each which have a delay (sounded like it's done overnight). These statuses include ServiceNSW acknowledging they've received advice - that I got photo taken (maybe others like they've printed the photo, posted the photo, who knows).

She did indicate that once you get the photo advice you are licenced, however, I wouldn't be able to lodge a PTA until the computers all sync up. She said they knew it was a problem and they've raised improving it - it really was due to the integration process annd the sync of computers needing to occur in batches (in separate sequential events by the sounds of it - like they couldn't do a series of events all in one night).

Anyway, overnight that same Friday, the status changed to "VALID" and on that Saturday I was still not able to submit PTAs. The following day, however, all was resolved. I am now able to submit an application (which I made a mistake in one already .... :x :oops: .. will post a separate question).

So bear that in mind, when ServiceNSW say it takes 10 days to get your photo licence, whilst you may receive the photo licence quickly the computers still took about 8 days to sync up. Interesting in this step, the snail mail method beat the electronic method. Anyway, since the date the application was received it's been 49 days (7 weeks) however the licence issue date was the date I took the photo.

Looking back, it was a relatively smooth process but it was a hard wait as you read a lot of forum posts that indicate the horror waits others have experienced and you just don't know whether it's going to happen to you or not. I think the long waits from last year are probably related to the ServiceNSW / FAR online transition that appear to have went online first week in December, staff shortages at FAR and possibly increased workload from the amnesty.

Thanks to this forum - it's been a great read during the big wait and pretty educational. Hope I can contribute more over time.

Cheers
Bear in a human suit.
Savage 17HMR
Tikka T3x .204 Ruger
Howa APC 6.5 Creedmoor
Adler A110
Miroku MK38 Sporter
Mr48Volts
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 30 Jan 2019, 12:31 pm

mate, sorry to hear you're in the place you're in Mr48Volts - especially because as you say, you haven't got any complicating history.

the team member from FAR said they are only processing August 2018 applications now

Sounds like you got your application escalated (with that call back) and this would've been the only thing I might have suggested ..

Hopefully this is a sign that its going to come sooner than later ... fingers crossed for you buddy.

we're really busy call back in 30 mins message and then was hung up on

I also had to call them yesterday on a different thing and got that message around 9:50am and 10:20am ... but I did try again at 11:55am and about 40 min wait and got through.

I reckon they only have so many telephone lines and when they're all taken up, the last line might send everyone to that message. That or they estimate if anyone is going to be on hold for longer than an hour, to stop queuing calls.

This stuff is just general stuff I've experienced during the process .. not targeted at Mr48Volts but for new applicants in future:
  • Don't check the online FAR check multiple times a day - I couldn't help myself during the uncertainty after the official "waiting period" was over. My experience was the online status only ever changed overnight and even then, it was not early overnight (ie. not around midnight to 2:00am) as I was working at the time and could check. My guess, is that they have alternate servers that process all pending updates as a batch and they switch over to those new servers once the entire batch is complete the next morning. You might wish it displayed updates as they are received and possibly processed (ie. during the day in realtime) but that wasn't my experience.
  • Put away some cash every week whilst you're waiting - There was a price increase in rifles from when I first applied, to when I actually got the licence (due to new year prices or bad aussie dollar, whatever). Also, when you're researching stuff during the wait, you learn more and other features you hadn't noticed before become important and your original estimates for what you want might increase.
The most important thing I got from the waiting was to honestly be more patient than I was before - It's the only process for years where I've truely had to wait for something (longer than a couple of weeks for delivery, etc).

I was the type of guy (when driving) that would be so impatient that I would "loudly educate" a wayward driver cutting me off - but no longer. I let them past and think, with the hassles we've gone through to get this licence, I'm not going to do stuff to jeapordise it.

Also, in my very limited experience, waiting seems to go hand-in-hand with a lot of things to do with shooting. Rifles seem to be imported only every so often (eg. maybe only 2 to 3 times a year). If you don't get something in one boat load, you're waiting months (maybe weeks) for the next. That's why I suggest during the waiting period, do put away some cash because you're going to want to jump into action when you come across opportunities that present themselves.

Stay strong and don't give up Mr48Volts!

If you can manage this, this is good advice:

JWD40
Assume it's going to be a while, and concentrate on things in life for a bit

Afterwards, you're going to be shooting every weekend :thumbsup:
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Mr48Volts » 30 Jan 2019, 1:19 pm

Hey Rookie

rookie wrote:mate, sorry to hear you're in the place you're in Mr48Volts - especially because as you say, you haven't got any complicating history.

JWD40
Assume it's going to be a while, and concentrate on things in life for a bit

Afterwards, you're going to be shooting every weekend :thumbsup:

Thanks mate, yeah it's been annoying as all get out, when I decided to go down the hunting the route after a trip with my cousins last year on a private property I decided I was all in, I had to sell a Motorbike to fund this new pastime as I'm not Kerry Packer lol, so I sold my bike in 3 days no less and started on the process, I've got everything ready to go including a new Quad, safe, all the reloading gear (well the stuff I can own without my license) and after my licence was lodged I started looking at Firearms etc, I know exactly what I want gun wise, and I've paid for my scopes and knives etc, and I'll order my guns the day I lodge my PTA's.

I think that's part of why I'm so frustrated with this, cause it's all just out of reach, I'm normally a pretty organised bloke, I run my own business and if I conducted my business they way this process has been done I wouldn't have a business, when you see other fellas (and good luck to them) who lodged waaay after me and they are now licensed, well that's just like pouring petrol on a fire.

I did get through to them yesterday and asked to talk to a manager, I was told I'd be called back as they could see my lic has been lodged for ages and there are no warning signs on it, so she wasn't sure what the problem was, that was at 1.17pm yesterday after a 57 min hold time, and you guessed it, still no phone calls, I might just write to Troy Grant yet.

You know it, I've got 11 properties ranging from 300 acres to 17,000 acres all within 90 mins of my front door to hunt on when this is sorted, I can't wait. 93 days and counting
Bear in a human suit.
Savage 17HMR
Tikka T3x .204 Ruger
Howa APC 6.5 Creedmoor
Adler A110
Miroku MK38 Sporter
Mr48Volts
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Mr48Volts » 31 Jan 2019, 9:55 am

Another update from Incompetentville, after getting my application escalated on the 29th, I was told during that phone call I would have a call back that afternoon by a "manager", 2 days go by no calls, I call 1st thing this morning and only waited 17 mins on hold ( a record) and was then told, "I'm not sure why you were told you would be called back the same day, when an application gets escalated we have 10 working days to call you back, sorry about that, is there anything else I can help with"?

It seems their internal communication is lacking and the left hand and the right hand don't know what each other is doing which leads to applicant frustrations. Mon Feb 11 will be 10 working days, I'm guessing nothing will happen before that lol I'm off to the pub!
Bear in a human suit.
Savage 17HMR
Tikka T3x .204 Ruger
Howa APC 6.5 Creedmoor
Adler A110
Miroku MK38 Sporter
Mr48Volts
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

PreviousNext