Hunting in Africa

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Hunting in Africa

Post by NAMSA1975 » 05 Jan 2019, 1:47 am

Good day all,

The Yanks and Europeans hunt a lot in Africa, especially southern African countries, I have not heard of so many Aussies hunting there. Any reasons? Where do Aussies hunt generally outside Aus?

thanks...
NAMSA1975
Recruit
Recruit

South Africa

Re: Hunting in Africa

Post by No1Mk3 » 05 Jan 2019, 5:18 am

G'day NAMSA1975,
An awful lot of Aussies hunt in various parts of Africa, perhaps it is just that you, yourself, have not heard of it? There is a large difference in populations which would tend to make it seem that every hunter visiting was an American or European, but I know of at least 25 people who have hunted South Africa, Namibia, Botswana and Zim, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 05 Jan 2019, 7:26 am

Was going to say,a hell of a lot of Aussies hunt in Africa,if they can afford to. Been a dream of mine since I was about 5 I reckon.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 05 Jan 2019, 7:59 am

Plenty of aussies hunt in Africa and theres a couple I know who work as guides over there. :thumbsup: :drinks:

bigpete wrote: Been a dream of mine since I was about 5 I reckon.

Yep ya not alone in that BP! :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 05 Jan 2019, 5:17 pm

Was meant to be going this year. First my missus left me a year ago. Then a "mate" was going to shout me a trip over there,but he's disappeared...
If looks too good to be true,it often is...
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by tom604 » 05 Jan 2019, 7:38 pm

always wondered how much it would cost,,anyone have an idea??
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Runnymede » 06 Jan 2019, 10:00 am

I have hunted Africa a few times and highly recommend it, the most fun you can have standing up! It is surprisingly affordable when compared to hunting elsewhere in my opinion. Southern Africa is the best value (SA and Namibia) from experience places like Tanz seem to be more expensive. Admittedly I was hunting when the AUD was close to or on par with the USD and typically everything is quoted and paid for in USD. You tend to pay a flat day rate for accommodation, food and booze, your PH, skinners and trackers etc which 5 years ago was approximately $250USD a day and you definitely are not roughing it as most places are 4 to 5 star stuff. Then you pay for the trophies you take which vary depending on the animal ( $150 to $1000 for the typical plains game stuff to some serious money if you want to chase the big 5) As a caution you wound it you pay whether you recover the animal or not so shoot straight.
I’ll be going back one day as I still need that sable and a Cape buffalo.
Runnymede
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 06 Jan 2019, 9:06 pm

I was planning to go, but then...”I blessed the rains down in Africa...and had to take some time to do the things...”

Sorry.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Pooslice » 01 Jun 2019, 10:19 am

I'm originally from South Africa and have hunted 2-3 trips there for the past 20 or so years. Hth if you have any questions.

Regarding price, see if you can befriend a local. The prices we get are significantly cheaper than what foreigners are charged.

Cheers,
P
It costs nothing to be the better man.
Pooslice
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey