Whats this New Savage A22 latching repeater action?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Whats this New Savage A22 latching repeater action?

Post by Wombat » 16 Jun 2018, 6:13 pm

And there was I thinking I'd bought my last new rifle. Brand New- not new to me that is.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 18 Jun 2018, 7:06 pm

Had a bit of a look around on the internet and it appears that the A22 is a straight blowback, without the delay of the Magnum versions.It has a bolt hold open catch where the "lever" is on the version we may see is.
They may allow this because there are no semi auto compatible parts in Australia, but I could see a Ruger version being stopped because of the availability of Charger bits that could possibly convert one in a real semi auto.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 18 Jun 2018, 7:58 pm

Can't find it on Savage Arms website, nor at Nioa? Only on the web using Aussie stores sites who all have exactly the same source? Not been across Border Forces approval desk? Arriving Sept or Oct maybe? Can someone please give me a definitive article or link to the makers info on said rifle? Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 18 Jun 2018, 8:31 pm

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018 ... -repeater/
A few local shops have them listed and priced for pre-order. Maybe Nioa is playing it quiet until they have approval, after the Adler debacle.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 18 Jun 2018, 8:48 pm

G'day Wombat,
The firearmsblog seems to be the only info on this rifle and even they don't list it in their "New Products" section. I can understand Nioa being cautious after their Adler stuff-up, but Savage? Nothing at all from Savage about a new concept rifle which would suit markets other than us as well? Verney flogged the idea of their new action all over the world, couldn't wait, and now BF look like banning them. So still nothing definitive, makes me wonder if it is nothing but a bit of wishful thinking on some bloggers part. I will contact Nioa direct and see if a product listing for the shop can be found, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gun-nut » 18 Jun 2018, 8:49 pm

Anyone know if they use the same rotary magazine as the ruger 10/22 and ruger american series of rimfires? According the TFB article, it utilises a 10 shot rotary mag but doesn't specify which. If indeed it does use ruger mags, I may already be sold.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 18 Jun 2018, 9:08 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05XfyaPiEAI

Uses a proprietary Savage magazine.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gun-nut » 18 Jun 2018, 10:25 pm

Wombat wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05XfyaPiEAI

Uses a proprietary Savage magazine.

Bugger, thats a shame. Would still be interested in purchasing one however. If ruger comes out with an offering, that would be even better.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 06 Jul 2018, 6:38 pm

Asked about them at my LGS and according to NIOA they are due in September and are cat A. That's the good news. The not so good is that my local reckons they will have to price the blued version at $800. Guess I'll go see what some of the larger Melbourne shops want for them.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 07 Jul 2018, 11:52 pm

Put a deposit on a blued one for $699 at a Thornbury shop. Looking forward to spring :thumbsup: Should be a good rabbit gun.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Ghoatman » 09 Jul 2018, 1:18 pm

Can't seem to find any info on these on Savage's website or via Google, not even an owners manual!
Ghoatman
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 09 Jul 2018, 1:40 pm

There doesn't seem to be anything on the Savage site.
Only place with a bit of info' is here http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018 ... -repeater/
Some of the larger dealers/dealer chains are listing it but only taking orders for delivery later in the year.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Wombat » 09 Jul 2018, 6:21 pm

Its basically going to be a Savage A22 with a bolt hold open on every shot. So apart from the latching aspect all the A22 info out there is applicable. Mixed reviews, cheap gun (but not cheap here) some QC issues - but I'm still buying one :thumbsup:
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Cryptic » 09 Jul 2018, 6:23 pm

From what I was told at LGS it is being made for Australian market mainly which might be why limited US info on it.

NIOA has a little detail on it here https://www.nioa.com.au/products/view/A22RF
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Ghoatman » 03 Sep 2018, 5:20 pm

Wonder how much longer I will have to wait. :D
Really want to get my hands on it now..... :P
Ghoatman
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Michael08 » 09 Dec 2018, 8:23 pm

Reviving a dead thread but my rifle has rocked up at myLGS along with my PTA just waiting on my damn plastic!
Michael08
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Ghoatman » 09 Dec 2018, 9:00 pm

Still waiting on the .17HMR version to arrive @ LGS. Have been told "next week/end of month" many times, but it keeps getting pushed back.
Ghoatman
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Michael08 » 10 Dec 2018, 7:31 am

Yeah I got told that for about 4 months, date kept moving back then all of a sudden it was in!
Michael08
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Michael08 » 17 Dec 2018, 7:46 pm

Got mine haven’t shot it yet, just stared and played around with it for a week straight, first rifle I’ve bought! Feels a little cheap in the stock anyway, keen to sight it in/shoot it this Monday
Michael08
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Wombat » 17 Dec 2018, 7:54 pm

Michael08 wrote:Got mine haven’t shot it yet, just stared and played around with it for a week straight, first rifle I’ve bought! Feels a little cheap in the stock anyway, keen to sight it in/shoot it this Monday

How are you finding the release lever? The one I handled it was so hard to use it put me off them.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Michael08 » 20 Dec 2018, 10:12 pm

I haven’t even shot it yet, just worked the action for a few minutes a day and it’s really loosened up, I can only imagine how much smoother it’ll get with a few hundred rounds through it
Michael08
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by mickhead » 05 Jan 2019, 3:40 pm

Hi all. Received mine friday, mounted hawke 3x9x40 scope on cheap leupold rimfire rings. First mistake☹️
mickhead
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by mickhead » 05 Jan 2019, 4:01 pm

Make sure you get detachable rings like Leupold QRWs because the scope really needs to come off to clean the gun easily
Last edited by mickhead on 05 Jan 2019, 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mickhead
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by mickhead » 05 Jan 2019, 4:07 pm

Out of the box the barrel was filthy, the release lever is heavy as, the trigger is horrible, creepy and gritty, and the mag is hard to load. Powerpoints, lasers, stingers were hitting tennis balls at best for a while. After a couple of hundred rounds i see it loves browning ammo, 10 rapid shots into a bit over an inch at 50 metres, and I am a shytehouse shot, and its loosening up. Love it! Rabbits will hate it..
mickhead
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Lou » 05 Jan 2019, 9:11 pm

i found that on cci standards it was getting good groupings at 50. , its also real quiet , quieter then the air rifles ive used. didnt have and subs to try out dam it . you can also go through he 10 rounds in 5 seconds . trigger finger to work the lever and middle finger to work the trigger
howa hcr 308
wetherby vangaurd 308
remington 783 223
chiappa 1892 357mag
ruger american 17hmr
savage a22r
adler 12g
Lou
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by rc42 » 26 Mar 2020, 1:09 pm

I picked up a stainless A22R on Tuesday, I have had a PTA at the dealer for a 22 lever action for the last two months waiting for delivery of a Browning BL-22 from the US. It was due in June but with the current crisis I don't think it will make it before the PTA expired so I chose from the 22 lever actions in the LGS as a pre-lockdown present. If I like the A22R I'll get a new PTA for the Browning, if not, I'll like for like swap it.

So far, it's a great little rifle, lightweight and reasonably finished and cycles with all ammo except CCI quiet (which I expected to not work) and can put bullets in the same hole at 25m. Feels odd to have the casing fly past your ear as you take each shot, with a bolt or typical lever you decide when the used case is ejected.

Trigger is heavy and not smooth at all, release point seems to vary so it's not for precision work but works well with a rapid pull and release. The bolt release leaver is also very heavy so you have to snatch at it rather then gently increasing pressure. You can actually use you middle finger for the trigger and index finger for the release and get into a rhythm to get a very high fire rate almost like a semi auto but certainly not as accurate because of the contorted hold.

Overall, I'm far more impressed with the A22R than I thought I would be, looks like it's a keeper
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Wombat » 26 Mar 2020, 5:17 pm

Mine cycles quiets ok, maybe try again after a few hundred rounds?
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by InisBineest » 26 Mar 2020, 7:54 pm

rc42 wrote:I picked up a stainless A22R on Tuesday, I have had a PTA at the dealer for a 22 lever action for the last two months waiting for delivery of a Browning BL-22 from the US. It was due in June but with the current crisis I don't think it will make it before the PTA expired so I chose from the 22 lever actions in the LGS as a pre-lockdown present. If I like the A22R I'll get a new PTA for the Browning, if not, I'll like for like swap it.

So far, it's a great little rifle, lightweight and reasonably finished and cycles with all ammo except CCI quiet (which I expected to not work) and can put bullets in the same hole at 25m. Feels odd to have the casing fly past your ear as you take each shot, with a bolt or typical lever you decide when the used case is ejected.

Trigger is heavy and not smooth at all, release point seems to vary so it's not for precision work but works well with a rapid pull and release. The bolt release leaver is also very heavy so you have to snatch at it rather then gently increasing pressure. You can actually use you middle finger for the trigger and index finger for the release and get into a rhythm to get a very high fire rate almost like a semi auto but certainly not as accurate because of the contorted hold.

Overall, I'm far more impressed with the A22R than I thought I would be, looks like it's a keeper

I Bought my A22R pretty much as soon as they came out. The trigger was as you described, heavy and gritty. BUT... i read a rumor that Nioa was fixing them under warrantee. And, well they did! Still heavy, but half what it used to be and not as gritty. Get in touch with them, see if they can have a look at yours.
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 26 Mar 2020, 7:56 pm

rc42 wrote:I picked up a stainless A22R on Tuesday, I have had a PTA at the dealer for a 22 lever action for the last two months waiting for delivery of a Browning BL-22 from the US. It was due in June but with the current crisis I don't think it will make it before the PTA expired so I chose from the 22 lever actions in the LGS as a pre-lockdown present. If I like the A22R I'll get a new PTA for the Browning, if not, I'll like for like swap it.

Can you put a heavy rubber band around trigger guard along to the latch to help take up some initial pressure, so it’s slightly more consistent?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by rc42 » 26 Mar 2020, 8:37 pm

If you mean between the trigger guard and the release lever then probably not, it takes a large force to pull the lever back to release the bolt but the lever then has to go forward again and only has a weak spring to help it.

Inside the mechanism, it works like other levers and semi autos where the bolt moves back and pushes the hammer back too, however, on the A22R there is a ratchet on the top of the hammer that the bolt locks onto as it slides back over it, the release lever has to pull the hammer back even further to let the bolt disengage and be released forward and the hammer spring is (and has to be) quite strong.

I'm running a good amount of molybdenum disulfide assembly paste all around the inner workings of the bolt and trigger, that will smooth the metal to metal contact surfaces and make them really slippery as it runs in. After run-in I'll clean all of that out and switch over to graphite, the same treatment works wonders on bolt actions.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles