Target shooting in Victoria state forrest

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Re: Target shooting in Victoria state forrest

Post by bladeracer » 06 Jan 2019, 9:48 pm

Sarco wrote:These links are at least 6 years out of date. Current Act is dated 3 Sep 18, and Regs 20 Aug 18.

Also some Government Gazettes are applicable (eg. for approved general category handgun matches matches)

Use:

http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/

Then search for Acts/Regs and get current legislation.

Quite probably, I merely posted them to show that they are online and not very hard to find.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 06 Jan 2019, 11:02 pm

bladeracer wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:Not in Tassie and I suspect other places will be similar (we are too lazy to do our own laws so typically borrow Vic or SA...)

I have 300 hectares of heavy Bush nearby, locked boom gates in and out. I’m legally NOT allowed to target shoot and if I said I was doing that, I’d be breaching licence conditions. If I put reason for wanting a new rifle as target shooting and if I’m not a member of a club - the PTA will be rejected.
I can hunt and I can sight in...and I can I assume test/sight in which I do a fair bit of. I guess it’s a very gray area because I want to know my rifle, my loads, my skills are capable of humane hunting - so sighting in to me, is a process...could the same be said for a safe area, out of the way state forest where hunting / sighting IS allowed with game tags or equivalent in tow??? I think you could argue the fact quite easily, especially if you took additional precautions when “sighting” in...

I'm not saying you can do it anywhere outside of Victoria (check the title of this thread), I know you can't in NSW. We can specifically "practice" here in Vic, and "target shoot" as allowed under Regulation 22. If you have a CatC firearm you can only use it on the properties it's licenced to, so all practicing and load development is required to happen on those properties - you can't take it to a range.

That’s gold re cat C - didn’t know that...you’d really want / need one...I actually think I’m eligible now as I’ve got a crop protection permit in place for primary production...but if our laws emulate vic in that space...bugger it.

It really is a debacle - based on the Tas rules as I understand it at least - you could find yourself cornered for buying and then using a clay target thrower on private property...because you don’t sight a shotgun in and theoretically - we can’t practice...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 07 Jan 2019, 12:13 am

Hey br are there any regs regarding plinking or sighting in on owned private property (rural/farming)..... aka can it be done or which part of the act deals with it
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by JWD40 » 07 Jan 2019, 7:11 am

southeast varmiter wrote:What’s the problem. You can sight in your rifle in a state forest. It just takes you 50 rounds to sight in. Damn scope.

Must be different in Vic, in NSW, you're not allowed to sight in your rifle in the state forest, has to be completed before heading out there.
JWD40
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by southeast varmiter » 07 Jan 2019, 7:22 am

JWD40 wrote:
southeast varmiter wrote:What’s the problem. You can sight in your rifle in a state forest. It just takes you 50 rounds to sight in. Damn scope.

Must be different in Vic, in NSW, you're not allowed to sight in your rifle in the state forest, has to be completed before heading out there.

It’s different because here in Vic we treat public land as public land. You are free to legally use a firearm
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 07 Jan 2019, 12:38 pm

JWD40 wrote:

Does that mean you must have access too private land/or a range to own a firearm in NSW - if you want to hunt?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 07 Jan 2019, 1:39 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
JWD40 wrote:

Does that mean you must have access too private land/or a range to own a firearm in NSW - if you want to hunt?

I think all states that don't have public land for hunting require a club membership as part of a licence application.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 07 Jan 2019, 2:09 pm

bladeracer wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:
JWD40 wrote:

I think all states that don't have public land for hunting require a club membership as part of a licence application.

Don't have to be a member of a club in qld if you have access to private land thru either permission from landowner or being a landowner. :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 07 Jan 2019, 5:38 pm

bladeracer wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:
JWD40 wrote:

Nope.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JWD40 » 07 Jan 2019, 10:52 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
JWD40 wrote:

No, you are allowed to hunt in designated state forests, but you must hold a restricted licence (issued by the DPI). Part of the conditions of the licence are that you are not to sight in your firearm on the land. Your equipment must be ready to hunt before you get there and only used for hunting.

If you need to sight your rifle in, it either needs to be performed on private property or at a shooting range. I prefer to sight in at a range as a feel the environment is more controlled. I haven't used 'Target Shooting' as a genuine reason for my long arms licence, but this hasn't prevented me from attending ranges to sight in or practice.
JWD40
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by southeast varmiter » 08 Jan 2019, 7:13 am

The only places we can’t sight in is at national parks where deer hunting is permitted.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 28 Jan 2019, 7:55 pm

JWD40 wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:
JWD40 wrote:

No, you are allowed to hunt in designated state forests, but you must hold a restricted licence (issued by the DPI). Part of the conditions of the licence are that you are not to sight in your firearm on the land. Your equipment must be ready to hunt before you get there and only used for hunting.

If you need to sight your rifle in, it either needs to be performed on private property or at a shooting range. I prefer to sight in at a range as a feel the environment is more controlled. I haven't used 'Target Shooting' as a genuine reason for my long arms licence, but this hasn't prevented me from attending ranges to sight in or practice.

This seems really unsafe.
Say your getting your rifle out of the vehicle and "bump", you knock the scope hard...now legally - you can not check the sighting accuracy and you could be spraying bullets. I guess the prudent would call off the hunt - but FFS, 10 minutes of safe checking and 3 or 5 shots to confirm...hmmm.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 28 Jan 2019, 8:11 pm

I suppose u could take aim at "that vermin" in the tree
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 31 Jan 2019, 3:28 pm

Spot on "tracks"! The only place where target shooting is permitted is at an approved range.

People has trouble distinguishing between TARGET SHOOTING and SIGHTING IN.... :thumbsup:
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Woodo » 03 Feb 2019, 8:21 pm

Tracks, - Why cant you target shoot on private property if the size allows for it?
Woodo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 04 Feb 2019, 11:22 am

The land, buildings, butt stops etc. must be approved for target shooting.

A few people submitted that "Plinking" on private property is permitted. As I understand, plinking is a American term for shooting at tin cans etc, hence the name BUT out here if the powers to be interpret plinking as target shooting, look out.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by southeast varmiter » 04 Feb 2019, 3:21 pm

Woodo wrote:Tracks, - Why cant you target shoot on private property if the size allows for it?

Let’s clear up the BS on this thread.
In Victoria target shooting is defined as competition based activity, not the act of shooting at a target.
On private property or on crown land, shooting is permitted.
As long as you are safe, do not shoot across a road or track and close to a public campsite.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 Feb 2019, 6:17 pm

RoginaJack wrote:The land, buildings, butt stops etc. must be approved for target shooting.

A few people submitted that "Plinking" on private property is permitted. As I understand, plinking is a American term for shooting at tin cans etc, hence the name BUT out here if the powers to be interpret plinking as target shooting, look out.

Are you referring to Victoria?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 07 Feb 2019, 1:08 pm

No, Not in particular, Bladeracer..
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 07 Feb 2019, 1:34 pm

RoginaJack wrote:No, Not in particular, Bladeracer..

The thread is about Victorian law, other states have their own laws about what you can do on public, and private land.

On private property we are allowed to shoot - sighting in, load development, practicing, target shooting, etc. We are not allowed to run organised target shooting events on private property.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 07 Feb 2019, 3:13 pm

Um my lgs had a day on his property but spoke to the dfo and was told he could organise an event but and I will check this out next week when in town .
It was something like this no more than 6 shooters and no more than 3 hours at a time so they had lunch and got back to shooting .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Feb 2019, 3:56 pm

southeast varmiter wrote:
Woodo wrote:Tracks, - Why cant you target shoot on private property if the size allows for it?

Let’s clear up the BS on this thread.
In Victoria target shooting is defined as competition based activity, not the act of shooting at a target.
On private property or on crown land, shooting is permitted.
As long as you are safe, do not shoot across a road or track and close to a public campsite.

Summed up fairly well I should think. Some seem to have forgotten this is about VICTORIA.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Feb 2019, 4:00 pm

deye243 wrote:Um my lgs had a day on his property but spoke to the dfo and was told he could organise an event but and I will check this out next week when in town .
It was something like this no more than 6 shooters and no more than 3 hours at a time so they had lunch and got back to shooting .

Yes, that's correct.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 07 Feb 2019, 4:47 pm

bladeracer wrote:
deye243 wrote:Um my lgs had a day on his property but spoke to the dfo and was told he could organise an event but and I will check this out next week when in town .

Yes, that's correct.

I went through that link you posted of the act and could not find this bit ...... but papper work is not my strong suit :lol:
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Feb 2019, 5:01 pm

deye243 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Yes, that's correct.

I went through that link you posted of the act and could not find this bit ...... but papper work is not my strong suit :lol:

Not in the Act, it's in the Firearm Regulations.
Attachments
Vic Regs Part3.JPG
Vic Regs Part3.JPG (71.16 KiB) Viewed 4449 times
Vic Regs Part 3.JPG
Vic Regs Part 3.JPG (62 KiB) Viewed 4449 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Familyprep » 22 Feb 2019, 3:46 pm

In victoria you can non competition target shoot on your property
And if over 5 people and nore than 3 hours in duration you need to give 48 Hrs notice to relavent authorities
Familyprep
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Previous

Return to Victorian gun laws