Beginner gun safe question

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Re: Beginner gun safe question

Post by Gaznazdiak » 01 Jan 2019, 1:07 pm

TassieTiger wrote:I’ve literally just been scanning eBay - pretty funny when your looking at the 20 gun safe they advertise on there - they show you a picture of the safe full of firearms - full to the max...but if u count up the firearms, they only managed to get 8 in there....misleading much?

Ever been served a burger that looked anything like as big as those in the ads?
:lol:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Chappo » 01 Jan 2019, 1:09 pm

JWD40 wrote:but then what happens if the electronics die, like die die as most electronics do at some point, then your backup is in the safe.

My back up key is hidden (not in the safe!)
I just find that with a keypad entry the backup key can be hidden really well.
If using the key regularly it tends to be hidden in a more “findable” place.
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 01 Jan 2019, 5:05 pm

TassieTiger wrote:I’ve literally just been scanning eBay - pretty funny when your looking at the 20 gun safe they advertise on there - they show you a picture of the safe full of firearms - full to the max...but if u count up the firearms, they only managed to get 8 in there....misleading much?

I have two "20-gun" safes, and a "14-gun", and a "5-gun"... :-)
For milsurps, shotguns and un-scoped rifles they're very useful, but I think I'd struggle to get twenty in the "20". I doubt I'd get more than seven scoped rifles in one. I keep my rifles in rifle bags and/or gun socks so I can stuff them in without damaging them. Stand a row along the back wall butt-downward, then a second row in front of those muzzle-downward. You still need to pull most of them out to get the one you want though. The rifles I'm using regularly live in another safe so I can reach the one I want easily and quickly.

I have a plan to build a safe that is 2400mm tall, 2400mm wide and 300mm deep...which I'll get to building one day!

I just checked and I have fourteen un-scoped rifles fairly comfortably in one "20-gun" safe. One advantage of the larger safe is that the bolt box in the top is wide enough to take foldable or break down rifles, so there are two more in there.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 01 Jan 2019, 5:15 pm

I do not know what part of vic you are from but the easy answer to your question would be to ask the DFO who will be conducting the storage check what he would like to see you own :unknown:

as said earlier school lockers dont cut it anymore, the reason is that they are easily penetrable, they can be opened up with a can opener :wtf:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 01 Jan 2019, 5:33 pm

I'd steer clear of the cheap chinese keypad types, get something that requires a key if you can.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bladeracer » 01 Jan 2019, 5:56 pm

I don't consider the gun safe to be for security against gun thieves, more for preventing accidents by people accessing them simply because...guns. Gun safes are the very minimal security the authorities felt they could force us to comply with at our own expense, while appeasing the anti-gun nuts.

For actual security against theft you're better off spending your money on a security system, CCTV and making the room/building more difficult to enter. Multiple safes multiply the amount of time required for thieves to enter them all, also burning up more cutting discs, batteries, and gas to do so. Sirens and strobe lights inside the room make it very difficult for them to concentrate on the job. A smoke machine makes it virtually impossible, but is getting expensive.

Anybody that really wants your guns will simply grab one of your family members and threaten them until you open even the most impenetrable of safes...
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 01 Jan 2019, 6:40 pm

^ + 100 to this.
We are just appeasing really...
I read a book recently about the front door being nothing but an unwritten contract between the home owner and a indifferent society - a front door is generally sweet bugger all...it’s predominantly a symbol and nothing more.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by TassieTiger » 01 Jan 2019, 6:59 pm

Ziad wrote:Ebsy safes. .... two words i won't mix together.

Why?? I have bought all my safes via eBay and they all comply, they all work fine...
I can buy SPIKA safes via eBay - ?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 01 Jan 2019, 8:32 pm

Ziad wrote:Ebsy safes. .... two words i won't mix together.

If you were buying a safe believing it would actually secure your firearms from thieves I might agree, you'd probably want an ex-bank vault...although they probably do sell those on Ebay. But even then, if somebody wants your firearms, you can't stop them.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 01 Jan 2019, 8:33 pm

One of the obvious problems with a small gun safe is the internal storage locker; you can get bugger all in it! Think BIG, and then buy BIGGER!
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Jan 2019, 4:02 am

RoginaJack wrote:One of the obvious problems with a small gun safe is the internal storage locker; you can get bugger all in it! Think BIG, and then buy BIGGER!

Yep just cos it says you can get XYZ in em doesn't mean you can hey, I've got a 18 gun safe and it's flatout fitting 11 in it. :unknown:

That's the reason we say get bigger as you will more than likely buy more firearms than you think you will and then having to then go and purchase another safe is a bit of a PITA so go something bigger if you can. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by trekin » 02 Jan 2019, 6:50 am

bladeracer wrote:I don't consider the gun safe to be for security against gun thieves, more for preventing accidents by people accessing them simply because...guns. Gun safes are the very minimal security the authorities felt they could force us to comply with at our own expense, while appeasing the anti-gun nuts.

For actual security against theft you're better off spending your money on a security system, CCTV and making the room/building more difficult to enter. Multiple safes multiply the amount of time required for thieves to enter them all, also burning up more cutting discs, batteries, and gas to do so. Sirens and strobe lights inside the room make it very difficult for them to concentrate on the job. A smoke machine makes it virtually impossible, but is getting expensive.

Anybody that really wants your guns will simply grab one of your family members and threaten them until you open even the most impenetrable of safes...

This is the truth of the matter, it makes no difference whether it is a minimun code school locker or a bank vault that you keep your guns in if your house, itself is impenetrable or uninviting to a thief. It astounds me, the number of shooters who are lead to believe they should place more value on their firearms than they do on the rest of the contents (including those who live there) of their homes. Insurance companies do insure firearms under content insurance, but you won't get a discount because they are kept in a safe, because that is a requirement under law, however fit a security system to the house and they will give you discounts ranging from 5% - 15%, depending on the level of security.
Last edited by trekin on 02 Jan 2019, 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by trekin » 02 Jan 2019, 7:17 am

bladeracer wrote:I don't consider the gun safe to be for security against gun thieves, more for preventing accidents by people accessing them simply because...guns. Gun safes are the very minimal security the authorities felt they could force us to comply with at our own expense, while appeasing the anti-gun nuts.

Also, doing this in QLD might lead to charges of being in procession of a Cat R (edited) weapon.
Last edited by trekin on 04 Jan 2019, 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by JWD40 » 03 Jan 2019, 10:58 am

trekin wrote:

Also, doing this in QLD might lead to charges of being in procession of a Cat D weapon.

I don't understand the link to Cat D weapons, how would this lead to charges of possession ?
JWD40
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Arcwolf » 03 Jan 2019, 1:23 pm

Go as big as your budget allows!
The Wild Card
Arcwolf
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by trekin » 04 Jan 2019, 5:47 am

JWD40 wrote:
trekin wrote:

Also, doing this in QLD might lead to charges of being in procession of a Cat D weapon.

I don't understand the link to Cat D weapons, how would this lead to charges of possession ?

Thanks mate, for pointing out that glaring mistake, should have read "Cat R" (have edited my comment). This is the highly restricted category of weapons that machine guns, tasers, CS spray, silencers/moderators etc come under here in QLD.
Section 8 (e) of the Weapons Categories Regulation 1997
8 Category R weapons
(1) Each of the following is a category R weapon—
(a) a machine gun or submachine gun that is fully automatic
in its operation and actuated by energy developed when
it is being fired or has multiple revolving barrels, and
any replica or facsimile of a machine gun or submachine
gun that is not a toy;
(b) a unit or device that is capable of being used for
converting any firearm to a weapon mentioned in
paragraph (a);
(c) a firearm capable of firing 50 calibre BMG cartridge
ammunition;
(d) an antipersonnel gas, and an antipersonnel substance, of
a corrosive, noxious or irritant nature or that is capable
of causing bodily harm, and any weapon capable of
discharging the gas or substance by any means, other
than a gas or substance and any weapon capable of
discharging the gas or substance that is primarily
designed for the control of native or feral animals;
(e) an acoustical antipersonnel device of an intensity that is
capable of causing bodily harm
;
(f) an electrical antipersonnel device of an intensity that is
capable of causing bodily harm;
(g) a hand grenade, other than an inert hand grenade, and an
antipersonnel mine;
(h) a silencer or other device or contrivance made or used,
or capable of being used or intended to be used, for
reducing the sound caused by discharging a firearm;
(i) a rocket launcher, recoilless rifle, antitank rifle, a
bazooka or a rocket propelled grenade type launcher;
(j) a mortar, all artillery and any incendiary or inflammable
device containing any substance capable of causing
bodily harm or damage to property, other than an
incendiary or inflammable device primarily designed for
vegetation management.
(2) A thing mentioned in subsection (1)(a), (c), (i) or (j) is not a
category R weapon if it is a public monument.

Bodily harm is defined in the QLD Criminal Code as;
"bodily harm means any bodily injury which interferes with health or comfort."
To have the effect mentioned by Bladeracer, a siren would need an output pressure wave of at least 110 DB (most burglar alarm siren are now rated at 120 DB), and as we know, sound pressure wave at these levels will cause not only temporary damage to hearing, but also some permanent loss as well.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 04 Jan 2019, 3:37 pm

trekin wrote:Bodily harm is defined in the QLD Criminal Code as;
To have the effect mentioned by Bladeracer, a siren would need an output pressure wave of at least 110 DB (most burglar alarm siren are now rated at 120 DB), and as we know, sound pressure wave at these levels will cause not only temporary damage to hearing, but also some permanent loss as well.

I would think it could hardly be classed as a weapon if it requires the victim to voluntary trigger it themselves, and then hang around to be damaged by it. Who do I sue every time I accidentally trigger it myself :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JWD40 » 04 Jan 2019, 9:44 pm

trekin wrote:(d) an antipersonnel gas, and an antipersonnel substance, of

Hrm, does that mean we can gas intruders with substances that are designed to control feral animals ? :lol:
JWD40
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by trekin » 05 Jan 2019, 4:27 am

bladeracer wrote:
trekin wrote:Bodily harm is defined in the QLD Criminal Code as;

I would think it could hardly be classed as a weapon if it requires the victim to voluntary trigger it themselves, and then hang around to be damaged by it. Who do I sue every time I accidentally trigger it myself :-)

And yet mantraps are illegal in your State. By which I mean, you are the one held responsible for the carnage resulting from the victim triggering it themselves.
So, you're saying that the crim will pack up and leave just because he trigered your lights and sirens, not because the lights and sirens are making his work environment an uncomfortable place to continue to remain in?
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by trekin » 05 Jan 2019, 4:31 am

JWD40 wrote:
trekin wrote:(d) an antipersonnel gas, and an antipersonnel substance, of

Hrm, does that mean we can gas intruders with substances that are designed to control feral animals ? :lol:

Well, definatly not, south of the boarder down Mexico way. :P
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by zhuk » 07 Jan 2019, 9:54 am

TassieTiger wrote:On the cusp of buying sage no 4...you’d think I’d bloody learn.

I've got 6 lol
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by byadbo boy » 07 Jan 2019, 12:27 pm

As much as I don't want to hurt your local Gunshop, the Bunnings safes are reasonable quality and comply with legislation.
I have seen them for as little as $150 on special.
Frankly, the compliance risk you face for as little an outlay as $150 - to me it's just not worth it.
Imagine no licence, and your firearm seized- and a court attendance notice with a hefty fine.
To maybe save $150 ?
Sorry mate I'd just spend the hard earned and protect your rights, state sanctioned privilege, and investment !
byadbo boy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 07 Jan 2019, 1:42 pm

trekin wrote:And yet mantraps are illegal in your State. By which I mean, you are the one held responsible for the carnage resulting from the victim triggering it themselves.
So, you're saying that the crim will pack up and leave just because he trigered your lights and sirens, not because the lights and sirens are making his work environment an uncomfortable place to continue to remain in?

I think mantraps are illegal in all states.
He might try to sue me for any damage, but I still don't see it being classed as a weapon. Has any business ever been charged with using a prohibited weapon when their alarm system gets triggered?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by trekin » 07 Jan 2019, 3:39 pm

bladeracer wrote:
trekin wrote:And yet mantraps are illegal in your State. By which I mean, you are the one held responsible for the carnage resulting from the victim triggering it themselves.

I think mantraps are illegal in all states.
He might try to sue me for any damage, but I still don't see it being classed as a weapon. Has any business ever been charged with using a prohibited weapon when their alarm system gets triggered?

Actually, they're not unawful up here, in the right circumstance. As for anyone being charged with using a prohibited weapon when their alarm system gets triggered, no, but only because this is one of those laws that was not thought out, hastily implemented, and one they hope noone will cotton onto because they are too pigheaded to remove, and if they did, then they are too scared that the anti's will start on with their crap about rolling back the gun laws.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 07 Jan 2019, 6:28 pm

trekin wrote:Actually, they're not unawful up here, in the right circumstance. As for anyone being charged with using a prohibited weapon when their alarm system gets triggered, no, but only because this is one of those laws that was not thought out, hastily implemented, and one they hope noone will cotton onto because they are too pigheaded to remove, and if they did, then they are too scared that the anti's will start on with their crap about rolling back the gun laws.

You can legally set traps aimed at injuring people up there?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 08 Jan 2019, 4:16 am

Anyone see those “alarms” on used guns that utilise 12 g shells as deterrents? No pellets just powder??
I wonder how the heck they can be legal - butvthe seller advertised that a farmer in xx court thrives using his device etc etc...it’s effectively a small device with a trip wire firing pin lol
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by trekin » 08 Jan 2019, 4:53 am

TassieTiger wrote:Anyone see those “alarms” on used guns that utilise 12 g shells as deterrents? No pellets just powder??
I wonder how the heck they can be legal - butvthe seller advertised that a farmer in xx court thrives using his device etc etc...it’s effectively a small device with a trip wire firing pin lol

It only uses 12g primers, and is built, sold and approved as a security device, although you do need a firearms licence to buy the primers.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by elnino » 08 Jan 2019, 6:23 am

First post here so please be nice.

Licensed way back, gave it up and now getting back in to it.

Safes - I have read here in seveal different threads, including this one that safes need to have concealed hinges? Is this personal opinion or some stupid regulation that some states have? I am in SA and there is nothing in the regulation that states this.

Although i can see some point to the agument, with an external hinge on one side and a simple lock on the opposite edge, a (proper) safes strength has nothing to do with external or internal hinges. In a good safe with multi-point locking mechanism the hinges do not form part of the lock, purely serve as a means to allow the door to open easily. i.e the door would be secured regardless of the hinge being present or not.

I have a safe with external hinges and 6 point locking. No one is getting in to it quickly with or without the hinges inctact.
elnino
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by trekin » 08 Jan 2019, 6:36 am

bladeracer wrote:
trekin wrote:Actually, they're not unawful up here, in the right circumstance. As for anyone being charged with using a prohibited weapon when their alarm system gets triggered, no, but only because this is one of those laws that was not thought out, hastily implemented, and one they hope noone will cotton onto because they are too pigheaded to remove, and if they did, then they are too scared that the anti's will start on with their crap about rolling back the gun laws.

You can legally set traps aimed at injuring people up there?

No, I didn't say it is "legal to set traps aimed at injuring people", what I said is that "they're not unawful (typo, should read unlawful) up here".
Section 327 (3) of the QLD Criminal Code Act;
327 Setting mantraps
(1) Any person who sets or places any spring gun, mantrap, or
other engine calculated to destroy human life or to inflict
grievous bodily harm, or causes any such thing to be set or
placed, in any place with the intent that it may kill or inflict
grievous bodily harm upon a trespasser or other person
coming in contact with it, or sets or places any such thing in
any such place and in any such manner that it is likely to cause
any such result, is guilty of a misdemeanour, and is liable to
imprisonment for 3 years.
(2) Any person who knowingly permits any such spring gun,
mantrap, or other engine, which has been set or placed by
another person in any such place and in any such manner that
it is likely to cause any such result, to continue so set or
placed in any place which is then in, or afterwards comes into,
the person’s possession or occupation, is deemed to have set
and placed the gun, trap, or engine, with the intent aforesaid.
(3) This section does not make it unlawful to set any gin or trap
such as is usually set for the purpose of destroying vermin; or
to set any spring gun, mantrap, or engine, at night in a
dwelling house for the protection of the dwelling house.

Yes, before you ask, there is a difference between lawful and legal. For example, using your lights and siren inside your gun room/house here in QLD;
Is it lawful? It could be argued that although the siren and triggering device would meet the definition of "any spring gun, mantrap, or other engine", and it is concievable that the crim could be exposed to the pressure wave for at least a minute, at which time he/she would suffer some permanent/irréversible hearing loss and that this is considered as grievous bodily harm, it is, however, not unlawful to set it "at night in a dwelling house for the protection of the dwelling house".
Is it legal, probably not, as it could be argued that the siren, when used in such a manner, would be "an acoustical antipersonnel device of an intensity that is capable of causing bodily harm" Cat R weapon.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jan 2019, 12:25 pm

trekin wrote:No, I didn't say it is "legal to set traps aimed at injuring people", what I said is that "they're not unawful (typo, should read unlawful) up here".
Section 327 (3) of the QLD Criminal Code Act;
327 Setting mantraps
(1) Any person who sets or places any spring gun, mantrap, or
other engine calculated to destroy human life or to inflict
grievous bodily harm, or causes any such thing to be set or
placed, in any place with the intent that it may kill or inflict
grievous bodily harm upon a trespasser or other person
coming in contact with it, or sets or places any such thing in
any such place and in any such manner that it is likely to cause
any such result, is guilty of a misdemeanour, and is liable to
imprisonment for 3 years.
(2) Any person who knowingly permits any such spring gun,
mantrap, or other engine, which has been set or placed by
another person in any such place and in any such manner that
it is likely to cause any such result, to continue so set or
placed in any place which is then in, or afterwards comes into,
the person’s possession or occupation, is deemed to have set
and placed the gun, trap, or engine, with the intent aforesaid.
(3) This section does not make it unlawful to set any gin or trap
such as is usually set for the purpose of destroying vermin; or
to set any spring gun, mantrap, or engine, at night in a
dwelling house for the protection of the dwelling house.

Yes, before you ask, there is a difference between lawful and legal. For example, using your lights and siren inside your gun room/house here in QLD;
Is it lawful? It could be argued that although the siren and triggering device would meet the definition of "any spring gun, mantrap, or other engine", and it is concievable that the crim could be exposed to the pressure wave for at least a minute, at which time he/she would suffer some permanent/irréversible hearing loss and that this is considered as grievous bodily harm, it is, however, not unlawful to set it "at night in a dwelling house for the protection of the dwelling house".
Is it legal, probably not, as it could be argued that the siren, when used in such a manner, would be "an acoustical antipersonnel device of an intensity that is capable of causing bodily harm" Cat R weapon.

I don't think it is conceivable a burgler would be exposed for "at least a minute" though, I couldn't stay in here for a minute when the alarm goes off without hearing protection. Unless of course, he's already deaf. These are sirens that are provided as part of the security system, so my guess is they must comply with whatever regulations control such devices.

Interesting about being able to set mantraps at home at night though. Can you set them in the yard or do they have to protect the dwelling specifically? My safes are not in "a dwelling house". I knew people in Perth who hung fishing nets with hooks in them "to dry" along their fences to deter the scumbags that burgle houses.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Victorian gun laws