M1904 Portuguese Mauser 6.5x58mm

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: M1904 Portuguese Mauser 6.5x58mm

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jan 2019, 2:04 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day JimTom,
The brass lasts as long as most commercial offerings if it is annealed during resizing and regularly in use. I would like to know what your loss rate is, bladeracer, as I was losing 3/10 during resizing for my M1904, mostly using Winchester brass. Fortunately had a lot donated to me and was making 8mm out of it when the Vergueiro came along so I still ended up with 100 good cases, Cheers.

I lost my first case which was very disappointing...until I replaced the bullet seating die with the sizing die :oops: :-)

I'm running new Winchester .30-06 through the 6.5x50mm FLS die maybe eight times, lubing each time. The .30-06 case head is bigger than the 6.5x50mm though so most of the effort is in sizing the case head down a few thou...and people say the Lee press isn't strong enough to FLS rifle brass :-)

I'm not expecting to lose many as it's sizing very nicely. I did that one last night as I had just finished doing a batch of .303 into 6.5x54R, also no losses.

What die do you use to size the brass for yours?

The guy that assisted me in finding and getting the rifles was making brass for another one a couple weeks back. He gave up on the .30-06 as it wasn't going well. He switched to .270 brass with better results, but he was using RCBS 6.5x58mm dies. I might order another set of 6.5x50mm dies and modify them to 6.5x58mm.

I want to also try some 8x57mm brass to see whether it's any better than the .30-06, but all my 8x57mm is currently loaded so I'll have to do some shooting...bugger!
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by NAHMINT II » 19 Jan 2019, 1:01 pm

Greetings from Vancouver island,British-Columbia ,CANADA.
I have been shooting my 6.5x58 for a number of years.....its a fine,well built firearm......
firstly, have a look at the ''bolt re. & re. " on u tube.(video by DIOPTLER)......it will save you much frustration !!!!!
I use .270 ,and .30-06 brass to ''reform '' brass to 6.5x58........ I tried .25 -06 with dismal results.....
I have a set of C-H Custom dies to preform the task.......they are a little difficult to find.......
couple tricks so you do NOT get neck creases because of excess lube on case neck/shoulders...... once formed, the cases work well.
the only place they seem to be seen to any degree is SOUTH AFRICA.... cheers NAHMINT II
Last edited by NAHMINT II on 20 Jan 2019, 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
NAHMINT II
Recruit
Recruit

Canada

Post by NAHMINT II » 20 Jan 2019, 4:51 am

A place for ''new'' 6.5x58mm Portuguese mauser brass.....is AV BALLASTICS, in BRISBANE Au.
is was selling for $66 -50 cases or $121 -100 cases in AU. Dollars............if you don't have x58PM dies,or don,t want to
reform brass,this is the way to go......the owner ,known on many shooting sites is ''DOC AV''... I have found him to be very helpfull and he knows his stuff !
cheers NAHMINT II
NAHMINT II
Recruit
Recruit

Canada

Post by bladeracer » 21 Jan 2019, 6:00 am

NAHMINT II wrote:A place for ''new'' 6.5x58mm Portuguese mauser brass.....is AV BALLASTICS, in BRISBANE Au.
is was selling for $66 -50 cases or $121 -100 cases in AU. Dollars............if you don't have x58PM dies,or don,t want to
reform brass,this is the way to go......the owner ,known on many shooting sites is ''DOC AV''... I have found him to be very helpfull and he knows his stuff !
cheers NAHMINT II

Yes, I have ordered from DocAV, but he's very slow.
His brass is not new Portuguese though, it's just formed out of military .30-06 brass, same as I'm doing myself.
After discussing it with him he was going to have a head stamp made to add 6.5P to the cases but I haven't heard back from him for some months now.
I'm using 6.5x50mm dies, although I'm thinking of buying another set and modifying them to more closely fit the 6.5x58mm case.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by BaronBoy » 12 Feb 2019, 8:36 pm

OK, this looks like the only thread dealing with Mannlicher Schonauer rifles that I could find so I will tack my question here hoping someone out there may know the answer.

I have just bought a 1903 6.5 x 54 action (actually one of the Italian made under contract to the Greeks version) with the intention of building a sporting rifle. I am looking to replace the trigger and wonder whether anyone has had experience of doing that and what did they find? From my preliminary investigation, the trigger bears some similarity to a Mauser but I haven't one to compare precisely. Over to you.
BaronBoy
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 17 Feb 2019, 2:20 pm

BaronBoy wrote:OK, this looks like the only thread dealing with Mannlicher Schonauer rifles that I could find so I will tack my question here hoping someone out there may know the answer.

I have just bought a 1903 6.5 x 54 action (actually one of the Italian made under contract to the Greeks version) with the intention of building a sporting rifle. I am looking to replace the trigger and wonder whether anyone has had experience of doing that and what did they find? From my preliminary investigation, the trigger bears some similarity to a Mauser but I haven't one to compare precisely. Over to you.

This thread has nothing at all to do with Mannlicher Schonauer rifles though. I have a Dutch M95 Steyr in 6.5x54R.

I personally would not want a sporting rifle that uses en-bloc clips. 130 years ago they were the bees knees, now they're a pain in the bum. If you can modify the receiver to have feed lips and an internal magazine it'd be nicer, but that would defeat the point of using a Mannlicher action.

Nevermind, I just noticed you are referring to the Greek rotary-magazine :-)

If you can post some good photos of your trigger group we could perhaps suggest some alternatives that might fit without too much work.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Feb 2019, 2:46 pm

BaronBoy wrote:OK, this looks like the only thread dealing with Mannlicher Schonauer rifles that I could find so I will tack my question here hoping someone out there may know the answer.

Is this your trigger group?
Attachments
Greek Mannlicher–Schönauer trigger.jpg
Greek Mannlicher–Schönauer trigger.jpg (106.16 KiB) Viewed 6683 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Afmelo » 06 Mar 2021, 10:18 am

Hello
I am new in this forum. Introducing myself - Portuguese citizen living in Portugal, collector and mainly benchrest shooter and reloader.
My attention was called to this topic as I have just purchased an original Mauser Vergueiro 1904 in 6,5x58mm. This is a very difficult rifle to find in the original calibre in Europe.
As many of you may be aware of from the original 100.000 ordered by the Portuguese King Carlos I in 1904, about 20.000 have been sold to UDF (South Africa Defense Force) in 1915 and some sent to the Portuguese troops in Mozambique, then under threat of the German forces.
The rifles remaining in Portugal have all been converted to 8x57 Mauser on 1939.
So the difficulty in finding original brass is high and so is the conversion of brass to 6,5x58mm, as the dies are not commonly offered. I have ordered CH4D 6,5x58mm dies which will take about 6 months to deliver.
I have some experience of converting .303 British to 6,5x53R, to use in my Steyer 1896 carbine, a very nice and well made carabine. But no experience yet with the Vergueiro, but no experience at all with the 6,5x58 Mauser.
You mention that 6,5x50 will be able to do the necessary formatting. I have acquired in the meantime a 6,5x57 Mauser FL die and am using it with .270 Win PPU brass. Is there any experience with this die? Should I use the 6,5x50 instead?
By the way, my Vergueiro is the short and lighter version “carabina”, one of the very few ordered within the 100.000 total on 1904!
Your advice will be greatly appreciated.
All the best
Afmelo
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by No1Mk3 » 11 Mar 2021, 2:48 am

G'day Afmelo,
Sorry, didn't see your post until today. Your 6.5x57 die would be good for converting as this was the cartridge that Jose Vergueiro based his design on, but you will still need to finish in a proper die due to the shoulder length difference of 44.5mm in the Mauser to 42.5 in the Vergueiro, the base and shoulder diameters are the same. I can see no advantage to the 6.5x50 as the diameters are smaller, it is a die that would work if you had no other and the case would fireform to your chamber. I actually use a 7x57 (parent case to the 6.5x57) to bump back the shoulder before finishing with a CH4D die. I did lose quite a few cases first time, but believe this was due to overlubrication and not annealing between steps, Cheers.
PS: How about a pic of your carbine? They are almost unknown here.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 11 Mar 2021, 9:35 am

Afmelo wrote:Hello
I am new in this forum. Introducing myself - Portuguese citizen living in Portugal, collector and mainly benchrest shooter and reloader.
My attention was called to this topic as I have just purchased an original Mauser Vergueiro 1904 in 6,5x58mm. This is a very difficult rifle to find in the original calibre in Europe.
As many of you may be aware of from the original 100.000 ordered by the Portuguese King Carlos I in 1904, about 20.000 have been sold to UDF (South Africa Defense Force) in 1915 and some sent to the Portuguese troops in Mozambique, then under threat of the German forces.
The rifles remaining in Portugal have all been converted to 8x57 Mauser on 1939.
So the difficulty in finding original brass is high and so is the conversion of brass to 6,5x58mm, as the dies are not commonly offered. I have ordered CH4D 6,5x58mm dies which will take about 6 months to deliver.
I have some experience of converting .303 British to 6,5x53R, to use in my Steyer 1896 carbine, a very nice and well made carabine. But no experience yet with the Vergueiro, but no experience at all with the 6,5x58 Mauser.
You mention that 6,5x50 will be able to do the necessary formatting. I have acquired in the meantime a 6,5x57 Mauser FL die and am using it with .270 Win PPU brass. Is there any experience with this die? Should I use the 6,5x50 instead?
By the way, my Vergueiro is the short and lighter version “carabina”, one of the very few ordered within the 100.000 total on 1904!
Your advice will be greatly appreciated.
All the best

I do the same to make 6.5x53R from .303 brass.
All I want is to size the neck down to hold a 6.5mm bullet, push the shoulder back (and reduce the base if required) to allow the case to chamber. Then I load it and fire-form it to the chamber. After that I just size the neck.

I now have 7x57R so I assume I can use that die to shape the .30-06/.270 case, then just use a 6.5mm die to size the neck, but I haven't made any this way as yet.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Afmelo » 22 Sep 2021, 9:46 pm

Sorry for the delay in replying to your posts.
In the meantime I have made some progress on the preparation of brass for my Vergueiro 1904.
It is a fact that they can be transformed from 30.06, 8mm Mauser and .270. For all these cases there is some work involved including annealing and trimming...
But to investigate further possibilities and the use of various dies, I prepared a table with the dimensions of all available brass cartridges in 6.5 mm.
And the result was that likely the best and easiest solution would be to use 6.5x57 Mauser  cartridges, fully available new in Europe from S&B and PPU.
They simply accept a shoulder bump with the 6.5x58 die - I  used the RCBS die - and chamber directly! It is however true that the 6.5x57 is one milimeter shorter than the 6.5x58 - but in fact that does not at all make any difference! And the cartridge fire forms nicely!
So this is what I am currently using!
Afmelo
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by bladeracer » 22 Sep 2021, 11:01 pm

Afmelo wrote:Sorry for the delay in replying to your posts.
In the meantime I have made some progress on the preparation of brass for my Vergueiro 1904.
It is a fact that they can be transformed from 30.06, 8mm Mauser and .270. For all these cases there is some work involved including annealing and trimming...
But to investigate further possibilities and the use of various dies, I prepared a table with the dimensions of all available brass cartridges in 6.5 mm.
And the result was that likely the best and easiest solution would be to use 6.5x57 Mauser  cartridges, fully available new in Europe from S&B and PPU.
They simply accept a shoulder bump with the 6.5x58 die - I  used the RCBS die - and chamber directly! It is however true that the 6.5x57 is one milimeter shorter than the 6.5x58 - but in fact that does not at all make any difference! And the cartridge fire forms nicely!
So this is what I am currently using!

6.5x57mm brass is not so common down here. It's about $4 apiece, compared to .30-06 at 40-cents apiece.
I haven't tried it myself, but if you bump the shoulder of 6.5x55mm back about 50-thou that will probably run just fine. You'd have to run it into a x57mm die to swage the case head down about 10-thou.

This is a fireformed 6.5x58mm from .30-06, and a Norma factory 6.5x55mm.
Attachments
6.5x58mm and 6.5x55mm.jpg
6.5x58mm and 6.5x55mm.jpg (166.25 KiB) Viewed 5270 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Afmelo » 23 Sep 2021, 3:13 am

I understand that you do not have the 6.5x57 brass availble at a decent price.
Here it is about 57 cents of euro for S&B.
6.5x57 transformed to 6.5x58.jpg
Photo of my brass after a simple passage of the 6.5x58 RCBS die compared to the original military cartridge attached
6.5x57 transformed to 6.5x58.jpg (719.29 KiB) Viewed 5252 times
Afmelo
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by bladeracer » 23 Sep 2021, 8:09 am

Afmelo wrote:I understand that you do not have the 6.5x57 brass availble at a decent price.

We can generally get S&B brass here, but I've never seen 6.5x57mm. I'll chase it up though.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 24 Sep 2021, 5:58 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Afmelo wrote:I understand that you do not have the 6.5x57 brass availble at a decent price.

We can generally get S&B brass here, but I've never seen 6.5x57mm. I'll chase it up though.

The importer for S&B have never imported 6.5x57mm brass to Oz, I'd be surprised if there are more than a dozen rifles here chambered for it.
They won't consider importing any unless I order 5000 pieces minimum. I have more than 5000 pieces of centrefire brass in total across all chamberings, but I don't need 5000 of these :-)

S&B in Czech have responded to my query regarding importing 500 pieces myself though, they are investigating whether they can export it to me. 500 is more than I need but I can use it to make other stuff as well. S&B generally retails here for around a dollar apiece or a little less, it's one of our cheapest options in brass. ADI, Winchester, Remington, Federal are around $1.20 to $1.80, then the other Euro brands, Norma, Lapua, Sako are $2.50 to $4.00 apiece.
I haven't been able to find any 6.5x57mm brass of any brand here, other than an old listing for PPU.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 24 Sep 2021, 9:09 pm

IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG (627.25 KiB) Viewed 5193 times
G'day bladeracer,
Neck down 7x57, it is the same case as 6.5x57. You may need to bump the shoulder back a little. I still prefer to make 58mm brass out of pure bloody-mindedness, no other reason as a 1mm shorter case really makes bugger all difference in most applications. By the way, BaronBoy's 1903 Breda doesn't use en bloc clips, the Breda rifles are exactly the same as the Greek 1903 by Mannlicher and use standard stripper clips to load a rotary magazine, this critter.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 25 Sep 2021, 8:34 am

Scanning through much of this thread it seems to me that the least worst case to use for forming would be an 8x57.
By the time it gets to 6.5 it will have reduced the length mismatch as a bonus.
With good lube it might even be possible to do it in one pass otherwise 30 cal could be a useful intermediate step.
In the worst case the neck might need turning to true it.
In military rifles thicker necks than maximum spec can be an advantage.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 08 Oct 2021, 3:36 pm

straightshooter wrote:Scanning through much of this thread it seems to me that the least worst case to use for forming would be an 8x57.
By the time it gets to 6.5 it will have reduced the length mismatch as a bonus.
With good lube it might even be possible to do it in one pass otherwise 30 cal could be a useful intermediate step.
In the worst case the neck might need turning to true it.
In military rifles thicker necks than maximum spec can be an advantage.

I have lots of .30-06, 8x57mm and .270 for making other brass out of, also some 7x57mm.
I do a lot of passes, just pushing the shoulder back a little at a time, and re-lubing every time with .30-06 brass.
So far it's worked very well so I haven't bothered switching to a different head stamp.

However, yesterday I finally received 100 pieces of 6.5x58mm brass from DocAV!!!!!
Formed from Bosnian Igman Konjic .30-06 fired brass, primer pockets are crimped.
It doesn't look like the necks have been turned, but I haven't had to with mine either.
Attachments
20211008_162730b.jpg
20211008_162730b.jpg (191.62 KiB) Viewed 5038 times
20211008_162739b.jpg
20211008_162739b.jpg (309.8 KiB) Viewed 5038 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 14 Oct 2021, 6:47 pm

Trying to make sense of the sight settings on these things :-)
The lowest position is 200m. Which has the rear sight .054" (1.37mm) higher than the front sight.
Sight radius at the 200m position is 655mm. This gives me a base 200m "zero" being 209mm high at 100m, 7.20MoA.
Sight radius reduces to 634mm at the 2000m position, when the sight is at its full height of 2.097" (53.26mm), or 289MoA.

I don't have an original 155gn FMJ-RN bullet, but it looks very similar to the Hornady 160gn SP-RN, which has a BC of .283.
But the Hornady launched at the original 2350fps doesn't come very close to that curve at all. The Hornady drops 20.5MoA at 500m, 92.35MoA at 1000m, 213.5MoA at 1500m, and 395MoA at 2000m.

The curve calculated from the sight positions (every 100m) is 23.5MoA at 500m, 69.85MoA at 1000m, 153.85MoA at 1500m, and 289MoA at 2000m. This requires a BC of .375, not at all impossible, but very much better than the Hornady bullet.

But the discrepancy at close range is obvious, at 500m the original curve drops 3MoA more than the Hornady, while dropping 22.5MoA less at 1000m. There is a glitch in the close-range settings. I'm guessing the 200m "zero" is not a zero, but more likely a "belt-buckle hold" or something similar, does anybody know?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 15 Oct 2021, 7:02 pm

Still working on this.
It appears that a 155gn bullet of .370 BC follows the sight gradient quite well from 1000m out to 2000m.
From 200m out to 500m it follows the curve okay, except it shoots 10MoA above point of aim.
So, at 200m about 600mm high, 300m about 900mm high, 400m about 1200mm high, and 500m about 1500mm high.
Does anybody know if this sounds typical of sighting convention in the early 20th century?
It seems to be a matter of "put whatever you can see of a man on top of the front sight" out to a reasonable distance at which you can make out a person in the field. Further than that is probably sighted for volley or area fire.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Afmelo » 26 Mar 2022, 3:21 am

After a long wait finally received my new CH4D dies for the 6.5x58 Portuguese Vergueiro Mauser.
Used them to form using 6.5x57 PPU brass, after annealling and it turned perfect cartridges although evidently about 1mm shorter than the original 6.5x58mm.
Just reloaded a few cartridges to shoot tomorrow, should the weather allow.

Kindly find here some photos of my carbine and of the cartridges loaded today (the long cylindrical bullet is a 140gr Lapua Naturalis and the boat tail a 123 gr Lapua scenar).
Afmelo
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles