Safe Mounting Suggestions

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Safe Mounting Suggestions

Post by Rider888 » 08 Jan 2019, 7:23 pm

Hi

I am mounting a small safe into a timber floor in my house and was wondering:

1. how long a screw would you recommend? I will be using a M8 and was thinking 40mm to 60mm long???
2. What the of screw would you use? I am familiar with the Ramset Masonary anchors but these are going into a timber floor. Surely I wouldn't be using wood screws? Or would I?

Further info is that this safe is for level 2 storage in SA so into a timber floor is legal.

The other option is that I could mount the safe into the slab but that means the safe would be downstairs and not upstairs where I would like it.

Cheers
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Safe Mounting Suggestions

Post by Blr243 » 08 Jan 2019, 7:38 pm

I recently mounted one into a timber floor. I had access underneath so I put 90 by 45 timber underneath. Otherwise my fixings would only grab into 19 mm flooring. I used 10 mm by 100 mm long coach bolts a coach bolt really is just a big screw with a hex head on it that can be turned with a socket set Alternatively if your polished timber floor displays putty in the nail holes it is indicative of the structural joists underneath. Fixing into those is going to be very secure
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Rider888 » 08 Jan 2019, 7:44 pm

Blr243 wrote:I recently mounted one into a timber floor. I had access underneath so I put 90 by 45 timber underneath. Otherwise my fixings would only grab into 19 mm flooring. I used 10 mm by 100 mm long coach bolts a coach bolt really is just a big screw with a hex head on it that can be turned with a socket set Alternatively if your polished timber floor displays putty in the nail holes it is indicative of the structural joists underneath. Fixing into those is going to be very secure

So I can use coach bolts? But they won't be able to go into the floor stud as I cannot be sure that there is a stud in the location I want to put the safe. Is that an issue or will the coach bolts still provide reasonable hold into the timber floor?
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 08 Jan 2019, 7:46 pm

I think it’s reasonable to accept that a thief may equip himself with a metre long heavy duty pinch bar. So after you have fastened your safe to the floor if you think that this sort of equipment can destroy your work then it’s probably not done adequately. Nobody wants to come home from work to find their gun safe missing.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 08 Jan 2019, 7:49 pm

One thing I did, although I was using Dynabolts into brick, was to make up some oversized, 90mmx90mmx3mm washers to bolster the 2mm skin of the safe.
I just cut them from some scrap sheet I had left from a trailer build.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jan 2019, 8:53 pm

Rider888 wrote:So I can use coach bolts? But they won't be able to go into the floor stud as I cannot be sure that there is a stud in the location I want to put the safe. Is that an issue or will the coach bolts still provide reasonable hold into the timber floor?

Generally, we build timber floors so that you can still access underneath to inspect for damage. Is there no access under your floor?
My safes have 10x100 galv coach bolts with big washers into floor joists and wall studs. Drill holes where required, you don't have to use the holes the safe comes with.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 08 Jan 2019, 9:00 pm

I was thinking to suggest either doggy or missionary but seems that's inappropriate....:)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 09 Jan 2019, 11:22 am

Reverse cowgirl...or cowboy depending on your fancy. ..or your current inclinations.

Find the studds and put 10 thinner coach screws. ..maybe a good option.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 09 Jan 2019, 11:46 am

Ziad wrote:Find the studs and put 10 thinner coach screws. ..maybe a good option.

The problem usually is not about getting the fasteners to stay in the timber/concrete, the real trick is preventing the head of the fastener from being pulled through the steel wall of the safe. The best way, I think, is a length of flatbar connecting the bolt holes, but big heavy washers are a big help. Just be sure they don't have any sharp edges or points, the first tear in the steel will allow the rest to open like a sardine can.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 09 Jan 2019, 1:46 pm

30 /hex head coarse thread twelve gauge timber screws into hardwood floor is what I would be doing if I could not find the joists underneath.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 09 Jan 2019, 9:29 pm

Hi Rider...just a few questions...

Is it your place--as in you own it, or renting...?

Is the house modern built..?....or do you know when it was built...?

Is the floor carpeted where you want to put the safe...?

And an additional question...do you know what sort of "timber" the floor is...?
For example, if its a modern upper storey, its probably particle board flooring...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to New South Wales gun laws