Victorian junior license questions

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Victorian junior license questions

Post by Crazy » 08 Jan 2019, 7:48 pm

Trying to help a mate get a junior license who isn't of age for a full license and haven't really been able to find the information I'm looking for. Once one obtains a junior license in Vic does that mean that junior can be supervised by a license holder when out on private land and once the junior turns 18 and applies for a full A/B license does a safety course have to be redone? Cheers.
Last edited by Crazy on 08 Jan 2019, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Victorian junior license questions

Post by TassieTiger » 08 Jan 2019, 8:22 pm

I can only speak for Tassie - so my answers might only be worthy of prompting questions for you.
My 13 year old son now has a junior permit - and it was painful getting it.
I own 290 hectares and thought I could supervise him with a permit - wrong.
Legally, He is NOT allowed to hunt at all until 14 - and only then after completing a course AND under direct supervision and even then his permit is only 14/17 at which point he must do full course.
The permit for ages 12-13 allows for supervised use at a range only - clay target and similar ( MAKE SURE you put club on permit WITH club member no, or it will be returned). As we later found out, if he wanted to shoot competition at the club, (which he did), only certain members of the club were signed off as to supervise him - and this became very farkin awkward - we thought I could do it as a licence holder and full member - nope...so he quit because asking a 13 yr old boy to talk to several older men, during Comps all of whom told him something different - didnt work.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by deye243 » 08 Jan 2019, 8:28 pm

No not in Vic my 2 sons did not have too redo the safety course .
And yes they can shoot on private property and state forest under supervision
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jan 2019, 8:49 pm

Crazy wrote:Trying to help a mate get a junior license who isn't of age for a full license and haven't really been able to find the information I'm looking for. Once one obtains a junior license in Vic does that mean that junior can be supervised by another license holder when out of private land and once the junior turns 18 and applies for a full A/B license does a safety course have to be redone? Cheers.

Yes, supervised by full licence holder on private property, and as far as I'm aware, public land as well.
Safety course is free so it wouldn't be a bad thing to repeat it after a few years anyway, but I doubt it'd be a requirement.
A Junior licence holder is not allowed to handle firearms or ammunition except while _actually_ being supervised. You can't have them run back to the house to grab the ammo you left on the table, but you also can't leave them in the vehicle with access to a firearm unsupervised.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Jan 2019, 4:09 pm

deye243 wrote:No not in Vic my 2 sons did not have too redo the safety course .
And yes they can shoot on private property and state forest under supervision

I think that's pretty right.

https://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.a ... t_id=34498
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ZXRR » 10 Jan 2019, 4:16 pm

Back when i held one, i was only allowed to shoot under supervision with someone that holds a full license (Victoria), either on a range or state forest / farm. Junior license cannot purchase firearms or ammunition. When i turned 18, i am certain i was automatically moved onto my full license, only thing I'll keep in mind is when doing a renew to keep the same reasoning's for owning one as you mentioned on your juniors permit.

I did not have to re-do any sort of test.
ZXRR
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 10 Jan 2019, 4:22 pm

There has to be at least some sort of safety course either prior too or after turning of age?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by ZXRR » 10 Jan 2019, 4:25 pm

TassieTiger wrote:There has to be at least some sort of safety course either prior too or after turning of age?

You do it before you get the juniors license, and sent off the application with your certificate. Junior holders take the same exact test law/safety as adults and people applying for full licenses.
ZXRR
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws