Howa 6.5creed

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Howa 6.5creed

Post by Cal-ApeR » 11 Jan 2019, 6:36 pm

Now before I cop the manbun quotes, hear me out.

Everyone's favourite online gunstore is selling Howa, stainless sporter in 6.5 creedmoor for $595. Now, I've never been interested in this cartridge myself but it is a great deal. The 6.5creedmoor doesn't look like it's going anywhere soon, I think it will remain a good while.

I really wanted to get my hands on a 6.5 x55 in New condition for a reasonable price.... It seemed a bit far fetched. This Howa however, might be my ticket into 6.5's for hunting. Personally I would get a little Grendel if they had gained more of a following. Everything is still very expensive for them.

Anyway, what do you guys reckon. I think I might go ahead with this one. Give me reasons for and against (no creedmoor jokes... Please! I'm after factual advice)
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Howa 6.5creed

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jan 2019, 6:57 pm

Cal-ApeR wrote:Now before I cop the manbun quotes, hear me out.

Everyone's favourite online gunstore is selling Howa, stainless sporter in 6.5 creedmoor for $595. Now, I've never been interested in this cartridge myself but it is a great deal. The 6.5creedmoor doesn't look like it's going anywhere soon, I think it will remain a good while.

I really wanted to get my hands on a 6.5 x55 in New condition for a reasonable price.... It seemed a bit far fetched. This Howa however, might be my ticket into 6.5's for hunting. Personally I would get a little Grendel if they had gained more of a following. Everything is still very expensive for them.

Anyway, what do you guys reckon. I think I might go ahead with this one. Give me reasons for and against (no creedmoor jokes... Please! I'm after factual advice)

I'm not going to try to talk you out of the Creedmoor, if it's what you want, get it :-)
I have five different 6.5mm chambering but not Creedmoor. I've been thinking I'm going to end up with one eventually, but I just realised the other day that Ruger now does the Grendel in the American Predator 8"-twist, so I can see one showing up any time now :-)

I don't buy centrefire ammo so I have no idea of cost or availability of either of these cartridges.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Cal-ApeR » 11 Jan 2019, 7:08 pm

I don't really shoot factory ammo either but the offering in creedmoor is far greater then the Grendel. Brass is very expensive on the Grendel which is why I was turned off. Otherwise I would have jumped on one. I think it's a great little round. Creedmoor definitely wasn't on my list but price seems right and a good start in the world of 6.5s
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 11 Jan 2019, 7:38 pm

There is nothing wrong with the CM, it is very similar ballistically to the 260 and Swede. It is no 300 WSM if you want long range hitting power.

If you are buying Lapua brass then I wouldn't think the Grendel is much dearer.

For $600 it is a cheap rifle that you will have lots of fun shooting. There is not much wrong with it.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 11 Jan 2019, 8:23 pm

Do it.
I have a Creedmoor and it is a great bit or kit.
You will love it mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 11 Jan 2019, 8:28 pm

the 6.5 CM is a accurate caliber that fits in short action rifles . 6.5x55 needs a longer action , and i believe with it's larger case can be loaded up more in a modern action rifle . if it was me, i would wait and get the swede . howa do that caliber, tikka or sako would be nice. i know someone who has just bought a zastava m70 in 6.5 swede. i'm very curious to see how this rifle performs

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Cal-ApeR » 11 Jan 2019, 9:09 pm

There was a Swede that wasr out at Oakey for ages. Good price. I kept thinking they couldn't move it so they'd drop the price even further..... Didn't happen. Someone was much smarter than me and jumped on it.

Lapua brass? Ha. I'm not that rich. I know it's good stuff but I lose so much brass I can't justify it. Valid point though and something I hadn't thought about SCJ.

I can't see much between the 260 and the Creed. I actually have a spare 260 barrel to replace one of my 243 barrels. Got a little more shooting before then.

Curious, anyone got a Creed in a howa sporter? The build on my mates Howa 243 is solid but still yet to find it's load. Interested to see reports on the Creed sporter version.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jan 2019, 9:17 pm

bigrich wrote:the 6.5 CM is a accurate caliber that fits in short action rifles . 6.5x55 needs a longer action , and i believe with it's larger case can be loaded up more in a modern action rifle . if it was me, i would wait and get the swede . howa do that caliber, tikka or sako would be nice. i know someone who has just bought a zastava m70 in 6.5 swede. i'm very curious to see how this rifle performs

One thing I do wonder about, the 6.5CM is short-action, which is great, but does the action length restrict how far out you can seat the longest bullets? Basically, would the 6.5CM actually be "better" in a longer action?

I haven't measured the throats in the Portuguese Mausers yet, but the necked-down brass was bottoming out in the throat so I had to trim it before I could chamber it. The throats do not seem to be worn at all.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 11 Jan 2019, 9:23 pm

it does come down to what you want but IMO I would go a creedmore anyday before a grendal :unknown: and the howa looks good to me for price
but that's just my opinion and I'm not interested in either cartridges
my recommendation would be build a 6.5 x 284 :wtf: on an old mauser 98 action but really that's not what you want :unknown: :lol:
it's good to get a different perspective but it's what you want :drinks:

and blade you did hit the nail on the head, the short actions will restrict the type of projectile that will make the 6.5 worthwhile
it has to be able to mag fit a long throated 140-142gr vld projectile to be worth it :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 11 Jan 2019, 9:31 pm

Why can't Howa make a 338 Lapua for under $600?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 11 Jan 2019, 9:34 pm

they dont make actions long enough but I wish :lol: :lol:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Cal-ApeR » 11 Jan 2019, 10:53 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Why can't Howa make a 338 Lapua for under $600?

Haha Maybe one day. Might be more than$600 though.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jan 2019, 11:45 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Why can't Howa make a 338 Lapua for under $600?

Does anybody make a .338Lap for $600?
Bit odd when the rifle is cheaper than 100 rounds of ammo for it :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Flyer » 12 Jan 2019, 3:45 am

bladeracer wrote:
bigrich wrote:the 6.5 CM is a accurate caliber that fits in short action rifles . 6.5x55 needs a longer action , and i believe with it's larger case can be loaded up more in a modern action rifle . if it was me, i would wait and get the swede . howa do that caliber, tikka or sako would be nice. i know someone who has just bought a zastava m70 in 6.5 swede. i'm very curious to see how this rifle performs

One thing I do wonder about, the 6.5CM is short-action, which is great, but does the action length restrict how far out you can seat the longest bullets? Basically, would the 6.5CM actually be "better" in a longer action?

I haven't measured the throats in the Portuguese Mausers yet, but the necked-down brass was bottoming out in the throat so I had to trim it before I could chamber it. The throats do not seem to be worn at all.

The Creedmoor was supposed to be designed for long bullets - partly why it's shorter than an 08 case. I haven't been able to seat the 143gr ELD-X near the lands, but it's a long bullet with a secant ogive and I can still get them within 0.050". They don't mind the jump. I can reach the lands easily on 123gr Lapua Scenars with mag length.

Starline small rifle primer brass has an almost identical case capacity to Lapua SRP brass, but for half the price or less. The Lapua brass is better quality and has a smaller flash hole (0.059" vs 0.080") that needs a thinner de-primer (standard on Forster dies). Starline flash holes are punched (vs drilled), and a bit rough, but can be cleaned up.

6.5CM is an efficient cartridge and with small primer brass can handle higher pressures. I've loaded above book values without any pressure signs and no loose primer pockets. The 6.5CM can get near the 260 with less powder at higher pressures. It's inherently accurate.

I'd probably have all three if I could - 260, 6.5x55 - but the Creedmoor just ticks more boxes for me. Pretty much the same performance with less powder, low recoil, a shorter/lighter action, and some interesting brass to choose from, including LRP and SRP. Cheap factory ammo for when you can't be arsed reloading, and the 6.5 carries the same energy as a 308 at longer ranges.

They were my reasons. Plus I found a nice rifle in the calibre, a Sako A7 Roughtech Pro.
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by JimTom » 12 Jan 2019, 8:12 am

marksman wrote:it does come down to what you want but IMO I would go a creedmore anyday before a grendal :unknown: and the howa looks good to me for price
but that's just my opinion and I'm not interested in either cartridges
my recommendation would be build a 6.5 x 284 :wtf: on an old mauser 98 action but really that's not what you want :unknown: :lol:
it's good to get a different perspective but it's what you want :drinks:

and blade you did hit the nail on the head, the short actions will restrict the type of projectile that will make the 6.5 worthwhile
it has to be able to mag fit a long throated 140-142gr vld projectile to be worth it :thumbsup:

G'day mate

I am loading the 143 ELDX in my Creedmoor and have them loaded so they are a poofteenth of the lands. I haven't found any restrictions associated with the short action of the 6.5 Manbun and the 143 ELDX are a long projectile.
I am by no means saying it's any better than the 6.5x55. I was tossing up between the two, I did however opt for the Manbun for a number of reasons.
In saying that I would happily own a Swede.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 12 Jan 2019, 10:42 am

How fast can a CM sling a 143 ELDX?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 12 Jan 2019, 12:19 pm

down south 6.5 Grendel ammo is readily available and similar in price to the 6.5 Creedmoor, the big diff is the amount of recoil, the grendel is a pussy cat

Sure you can use a creedmore for a little more killing range but the cool new kid on the block aint doing anything the 260/6.5x55 or 7/08 cant do. Quality factory ammo certainly makes it an accurate round but thats where its advantage end.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 12 Jan 2019, 1:35 pm

SCJ429 wrote:How fast can a CM sling a 143 ELDX?

Mate I don’t chrono anything however from the loading tables I expect that I am getting just under 2700fps out of them, so about the same or a tiny bit quicker thank the Swede with a couple of grains less powder.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 12 Jan 2019, 1:42 pm

Just forget about all the 6.5’s and get a 7x57 . If I had my time again I would get a quality rifle in this caliber . In a modern rifle it can exceed in accuracy and as a hunting round over a lot of the modern rounds. JMHO
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 12 Jan 2019, 2:02 pm

I read an article just recently about a 7x57. Seemed like a good cartridge.
Don’t know a lot about it though. Do you have one mate?
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Cooper » 12 Jan 2019, 2:27 pm

I like Howa's and the 6.5 Creedmoor. Seems to be so many rifles chambered in the calibre now. doubt you would go too far wrong with the Howa. Pretty tempting at that price!
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 12 Jan 2019, 2:57 pm

Yep that’s cheap for sure mate. Provided they shoot, which from all accounts on this forum they do.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jan 2019, 4:07 pm

JimTom wrote:G'day mate

I am loading the 143 ELDX in my Creedmoor and have them loaded so they are a poofteenth of the lands. I haven't found any restrictions associated with the short action of the 6.5 Manbun and the 143 ELDX are a long projectile.
I am by no means saying it's any better than the 6.5x55. I was tossing up between the two, I did however opt for the Manbun for a number of reasons.
In saying that I would happily own a Swede.

I guess it comes down to whether the particular platform uses a short-action length magazine, if not then longer bullets would be an option. A short-action with a .2.800" mag length would be restrictive though. Of course, it's irrelevant if the chamber doesn't have the throat for longer bullets anyway.

6.5CM case length is 1.920" with overall length 2.825".
.308Win is 2.015" and 2.800".
The 143gn ELDX and 147gn ELDM are 1.440" long.

I can imagine there must be some shooters loading these things out well over three-inches overall.

As I said, I don't want to talk you out of the Creedmoor, as it's a fine modern cartridge. But it doesn't really offer anything that my current 6.5mm chamberings can offer so I haven't gotten around to getting one, yet. The Grendel design though is a little more "out there" so I just find it a more interesting choice for experimenting with.

Rough comparisons, but some tweaking can exceed these numbers by decent margins of course (particularly with some of the military loads):
6.5mm Creedmoor (case length 48.8mm) 140gn at 2650fps.
6.5x50mm 140gn at 2500fps.
6.5x52mm 140gn at 2200fps.
6.5x54R 140gn at 2200fps.
6.5x55mm 140gn at 2600fps.
6.5x58mm 140gn at 2500fps.

.260Rem (case length 51.5mm) 140gn at 2700fps.
6.5mm Grendell (case length 38.5mm) 140gn at 2350fps.

As you can see, the Grendel is a very short case but with still decent velocity.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I posted this comparison to show the 6.5mm chamberings I have (in bold) to explain why I haven't bothered getting the Creedmoor yet, not to try to make any one of them appear better than the rest.
Last edited by bladeracer on 12 Jan 2019, 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jan 2019, 4:10 pm

JimTom wrote:I read an article just recently about a 7x57. Seemed like a good cartridge.
Don’t know a lot about it though. Do you have one mate?

My dealer loves 7x57mm, in an old Mauser Sporting Rifle.
It's virtually identical to 7mm-08 in ballistics.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Archie » 12 Jan 2019, 4:23 pm

I’ll just say the same thing I always thing about Howas regardless of caliber, they’re good rifles for the money but whoever designed that mag release should be hung.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 12 Jan 2019, 5:03 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Rough comparisons, but some tweaking can exceed these numbers by decent margins of course (particularly with some of the military loads):

The poor old 6.5x55 Swede always gets sold short, I know you qualified this in your opening line. I feel it has to be said that the Swede can easily shoot a 140 grain projectile out of a modern action at 3,000 fps, giving it a considerable advantage over the 260 and CM.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Flyer » 12 Jan 2019, 5:11 pm

I just looked up my load data and we chronoed the 143 ELD-X with 42.5gr of 2209 at 2710fps.

At the ADI/Hornady max recommended 41.5gr - which is Jim Tom's load - it was going 2650fps.

I haven't finished load development yet, so I still have 42.8 and 43.0 to go - maybe a little higher if I find a node - so there's potential for over 2750fps and the Lappy brass seems to handle it easily. That's in a new 24" barrel, so it might also get a little quicker as the barrel seasons.

OAL for the 143 ELD-X in my Sako is 2.932" and maximum mag length is 2.900", so I've been loading 2.890" or 0.042" off the lands.

The 143 ELD-X is 1.430" long - about as long as you're going to load in a Creedmoor, and longer than a Berger 140gr VLD (1.420"). That's plenty long enough for mag loading just about any bullet on the market. Anyone who's serious about bench rest or F-Class is going to single load anyway.

Creedmoor143ELDX123Scenar.jpg
Creedmoor143ELDX123Scenar.jpg (601.96 KiB) Viewed 6270 times
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jan 2019, 5:51 pm

SCJ429 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

The poor old 6.5x55 Swede always gets sold short, I know you qualified this in your opening line. I feel it has to be said that the Swede can easily shoot a 140 grain projectile out of a modern action at 3,000 fps, giving it a considerable advantage over the 260 and CM.

Absolutely, with tweaking, any of these can significantly exceed those rough numbers. If you're chasing velocity of course, I don't bother myself. If I want more velocity I grab a different rifle. I'm quite happy to load them comfortably for accuracy without being concerned about velocity.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jan 2019, 5:52 pm

Flyer wrote:I just looked up my load data and we chronoed the 143 ELD-X with 42.5gr of 2209 at 2710fps.

At the ADI/Hornady max recommended 41.5gr - which is Jim Tom's load - it was going 2650fps.

I haven't finished load development yet, so I still have 42.8 and 43.0 to go - maybe a little higher if I find a node - so there's potential for over 2750fps and the Lappy brass seems to handle it easily. That's in a new 24" barrel, so it might also get a little quicker as the barrel seasons.

OAL for the 143 ELD-X in my Sako is 2.932" and maximum mag length is 2.900", so I've been loading 2.890" or 0.042" off the lands.

The 143 ELD-X is 1.430" long - about as long as you're going to load in a Creedmoor, and longer than a Berger 140gr VLD (1.420"). That's plenty long enough for mag loading just about any bullet on the market. Anyone who's serious about bench rest or F-Class is going to single load anyway.

Creedmoor143ELDX123Scenar.jpg

I'm curious why you're chasing velocity - for what purpose?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Flyer » 12 Jan 2019, 6:05 pm

I'm not really. My target load is 43.2gr of 2209 behind a 123gr Lapua Scenar for 2815fps. I have found good accuracy at 44.2gr of 2209 for 2880fps and have chronoed 45.2gr at 2960fps, but the reduced load is more accurate and plenty fast enough for shooting offhand out to 200m, which is what I mainly use it for.

With the 143gr ELD-X, I have found best accuracy at 41.8gr and good accuracy at 42.6gr, but nothing has really jumped out at me yet. I started at 41gr and loaded to 43gr, but haven't tried the 42.8 and 43.0gr loads yet. The book data seems to be pretty conservative compared to lots of other load data online, and I'm finding that's true with the small primer Lapua brass.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles