STEYR Confused with lack of accuracy 30-06

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Confused with lack of accuracy 30-06

Post by Member-Deleted » 17 Dec 2018, 9:04 am

Well Tiger with 5pages of posts some the best info you could ever receive and ammo costs and still no satisfaction mate no offence but I would be seeing a GS and get it sorted if it worries you so much he will scope the bore , look at it and pretty much be able to tell you what is possibly wrong with it
As everybody on here knows it's fairly hard to problem find with not having eyes on contact with the rifle :?
I do hope you get it sorted soon without too much cost and hassles :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
If you do prefer to use 180gr then focus on them and the barrel twist and powder if all else fails :thumbsup:
Cheers :thumbsup:

Note I had a 25-06 was supposed to shoot moa or under , never did with any factory ammo not even sako ammo the brand they used to test it
you'll probably find few new rifles perform as told by sellers none of mine have :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by TassieTiger » 17 Dec 2018, 12:09 pm

Good news.
Winchester Australia have looked over my data and won’t the rifle back for testing acknowledging they “it doesn’t look good”.
I’ve taken on board almost everything that has been recommended from the good ppl on here and I’m still not thrilled with the groupings.
If they test it and advise I’m wrong - then it’s still going to be cheaper / less frustrating than chasing it...
Again - sincerely appreciate everyone’s help and advice...I’m in debt a few beers for if and when I cross paths.
Cheers.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by marksman » 17 Dec 2018, 1:53 pm

that is good news, and you wont get charged for it either like you were told
I'm sure it will be a simple fix for a good smith :drinks:
steyr rifles are quality but like everything else they can have a problem :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 17 Dec 2018, 4:22 pm

I'm hoping that you get a report on what is wrong with it.
But then, I'm kinda nosey like that ;)

Best of luck Tassie :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 17 Dec 2018, 6:31 pm

I would be looking at the Berger 185 Jugernaughts or 185 OTM actually the same bullet confirmed by Berger it is a target bullet with Hunting characteristics (it kills well) it will certainly shoot well in 308's its known to be an easy to tune bullet.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by TassieTiger » 17 Dec 2018, 6:54 pm

I’m dying to know now...gun, scope, mount, bullets...wtf. And if they do manage to pull Moa off, I want to know all details....bullets, etc.
My mate is saying sucktin, told you to buy a tikka, but I had / have faith in Steyr...my other steyr is brilliant and the tooling on the bolt is at least equal to my tikka.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 17 Dec 2018, 7:10 pm

TassieTiger wrote:I’m dying to know now...gun, scope, mount, bullets...wtf. And if they do manage to pull Moa off, I want to know all details....bullets, etc.
My mate is saying sucktin, told you to buy a tikka, but I had / have faith in Steyr...my other steyr is brilliant and the tooling on the bolt is at least equal to my tikka.

steyr are a very good qaulity firearm. i've heard of of the occassional new sako having problems . just a bit of bad luck. wait and see what winchester have to say. it might be a easy fix under warranty :D :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 17 Dec 2018, 7:15 pm

You know what ''Steyr'' stands for
''Sh##t That Eventually You Return ;) :) :D :lol: :drinks: :sarcasm:
Nup just joking mate good to see they are going to take a look for you :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by Wm.Traynor » 17 Dec 2018, 7:15 pm

Guns can be a bitch, Tassie. At the moment I have almost finished a complete overhaul of Black Beauty because it shot so bad last weekend. Accuracy has been deteriorating week by week leading me to start from scratch all over again. Have discovered that I am not as smart as I thought I was %$#&*@ :(
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 17 Dec 2018, 8:19 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:Guns can be a bitch, Tassie. At the moment I have almost finished a complete overhaul of Black Beauty because it shot so bad last weekend. Accuracy has been deteriorating week by week leading me to start from scratch all over again. Have discovered that I am not as smart as I thought I was %$#&*@ :(

mate i thought black beauty was a horse ? :) :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 17 Dec 2018, 8:21 pm

My only experience with Steyr was in the army and I was not a fan. Shot worse than my old sweet M16. I am sure this Steyr is very different.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 17 Dec 2018, 9:23 pm

Nah SCJ429 just know a few that had them and don't have them any more for that reason but on saying that some people swear by them
but only met a couple in my life time
Member-Deleted

Post by TassieTiger » 17 Dec 2018, 10:09 pm

My other 223 steyr man licker could put a bullet into the barrel of this 06 at 100....it was the predominant reason I bought this one. Even though my tikka is just as accurate, that rifle was “built” by those that no a lot more than I, so stock rifle vs stock rifle - the steyr was at least equal...and hey - no one I know ever wants to borrow a rifle called a man licker lol
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 18 Dec 2018, 4:42 am

Man licker ? :wtf: geez taz, sounds like they were marketed for the man-bun brigade :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Dec 2018, 7:32 am

It will be interesting to find out what the prob is Tas, it certainly be frustrating when things just don't quite match up to the hype.

Let us know how it all goes.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Wm.Traynor » 18 Dec 2018, 4:03 pm

bigrich wrote:
Wm.Traynor wrote:Guns can be a bitch, Tassie. At the moment I have almost finished a complete overhaul of Black Beauty because it shot so bad last weekend. Accuracy has been deteriorating week by week leading me to start from scratch all over again. Have discovered that I am not as smart as I thought I was %$#&*@ :(

A horse of a different colour bigrich ;)
Only a little misleading :) So called because it's black all-over; synthetic stock, blued steel and it's a beauty because the 16.5" barrel makes it so cute :D
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 18 Dec 2018, 5:13 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:
bigrich wrote:

A horse of a different colour bigrich ;)
Only a little misleading :) So called because it's black all-over; synthetic stock, blued steel and it's a beauty because the 16.5" barrel makes it so cute :D

:lol: :lol: what caliber ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 18 Dec 2018, 7:26 pm

Black Beauty is a CZ455 in 22lr.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Dec 2018, 8:23 pm

Might just need a good clean?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Kumaabear » 10 Jan 2019, 10:21 am

Kind of curious as to what their findings will be. :unknown:

Have they gotten back to you at all yet, (I imagine probably not)
Kumaabear
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 10 Jan 2019, 4:28 pm

I followed up yesterday and today...apparently it’s possibly gone missing or in limbo transit...it’s not at lgs (sent it before Xmas) and Winchester advise they haven’t received it...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 10 Jan 2019, 4:32 pm

TassieTiger wrote:I followed up yesterday and today...apparently it’s possibly gone missing or in limbo transit...it’s not at lgs (sent it before Xmas) and Winchester advise they haven’t received it...

Hopefully just because of the time of year. Bloody Border Force couldn't find my Mausers just before Christmas. When given the shipping numbers they didn't even know what they would do with them. I'm sure they just brought in some blow-ins while the real officers were partying :-)
Early January it was finally discovered that they were still sitting with Qantas.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 10 Jan 2019, 4:36 pm

It amazes me the bulldust needed to track and secure anything that mentions firearms but then crap like that can happen...

I told the customer service manager that a lot of additional info was on this forum and he replied that we won’t be looking and we don’t take any notice of forums...I thought - that is a pretty bloody silly (old) attitude...your customers are here...watching, reading...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by marksman » 11 Jan 2019, 1:02 pm

experiences I have had in the past is that the firearm would go to an authorised gunsmith nearest you
there are some very good gunsmiths in Tassie I don't see a need for the rifle to go anywhere else :unknown:
there are time factors in where the firearm is deemed lost by Australia post, I had a nightforce scope went missing 12 months ago
the sender will have tracking advise and know the last place it was scanned, I think it's 4 days before opening up an investigation and 30 days after it's last scan before they will say it is gone for good, the police will be all over them for this :crazy:
after that its up to the sender to be reimbursed by Australia post, if they got it insured :wtf: but it is not your worry
they have to look after you under Australian consumer law, you did not post it lgs did so its there problem
you may get a new rifle :clap: if you do I'm sure that it will be qc tested for you :thumbsup:
keep nipping at the senders heels :drinks:

I have seen a few of the winchester guys at shoots and understand they are salesmen but they cannot go off what is on a forum
they go by there gunsmith, these guys do not repair or diagnose firearm problems
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 11 Jan 2019, 2:18 pm

Cheers for advice MM.
They are chasing again today...

I understand RE gunsmith vs forums But I am surprised that they were so dismissive of forums in entirety...as others have said, if I am looking for my next firearm...forums are where I’m looking for good / solid / real world advice. Surely, manufacturers can recognise this? Irvin my opinion...they should be.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Jan 2019, 7:04 am

TassieTiger wrote:Cheers for advice MM.
They are chasing again today...

I understand RE gunsmith vs forums But I am surprised that they were so dismissive of forums in entirety...as others have said, if I am looking for my next firearm...forums are where I’m looking for good / solid / real world advice. Surely, manufacturers can recognise this? Irvin my opinion...they should be.

I don't blame them for not wanting to get involved in forums, way too much crap goes on when it comes to firearms shops and people bagging them out for this that and the other, plus they would have better things to do I would think than sit around on forums justifying why they do this that or the other, just not worth the dramas I wouldn't think.

There have been many firearms shops on forums and they generally don't bother hanging around long because of some of the reasons mentioned above. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by TassieTiger » 12 Jan 2019, 7:41 am

Yeah - I don’t agree that they would be trying to answer or justify things - it would be too much. I’d say they are just a tool for a manufacturing co for research and similar.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Jan 2019, 8:00 am

TassieTiger wrote:Yeah - I don’t agree that they would be trying to answer or justify things - it would be too much. I’d say they are just a tool for a manufacturing co for research and similar.

A lot of em get bagged out for bad service or this that and the other, whether it's justified or possibly a competitor who knows but certainly wouldn't be putting my business in such a position by getting into public slanging matches. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Blr243 » 12 Jan 2019, 8:33 am

Thanks for the link tassie
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Bristles1 » 13 Jan 2019, 1:38 pm

Most 30-06s can be finicky with different loads, settle on a load, don't worry too much about how far it is from the lands etc, stick to the basics and have the rifle checked by a competent gunsmith to see if the above mentioned issues are there, trigger, bedding, loose scope mounts etc.

I would not think 50 shots is enough to cause that sort of inaccuracy, we shoot two hundred a night roo shooting and you can still hit a match head at 100 yds.

I think once you have the rifle checked over and sorted then buy some factory ammo and try it , eliminate the mechanical factors then eliminate the human factors. Then get a mate you know who can shoot to try it. Hope you get it shooting straight, great old caliber.
Bristles1
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading ammunition