Brno Mod 2 bedding

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: Brno Mod 2 bedding

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Dec 2018, 7:20 pm

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Chappo » 07 Dec 2018, 9:20 pm

Hey rod.
Found this on rimfire central.
Just about everything you need to know about brno’s is on that forum if you have a week to read it all.
Attachments
D23ECAA2-12B7-4788-8BE4-295188E8F150.jpeg
D23ECAA2-12B7-4788-8BE4-295188E8F150.jpeg (144.85 KiB) Viewed 5550 times
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Rod_outbak » 07 Dec 2018, 10:05 pm

Chappo,

Many thanks; that gives me a few more ideas.

I'll have to take the time and go trawling through there again!

Thanks again,

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 08 Dec 2018, 7:39 am

Thanks Sungazer... appreciate that...:thumbsup:

Ill buy the ali tube then & give it a crack...

Only thing is its a 6 metre length...i need less than 30mm.
I.guess thats just another bit of stuff ill have lying around that ill never throw out & never use... :roll:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 08 Dec 2018, 9:17 am

why ali tube Stix :unknown:

I'm not saying it's no good but have a look at what I put in the rear tang of the 22 dasher mate
its just a tube to stop the crushing effect and so you can tighten up the king screws tighter :thumbsup:
dont make whatever you use to thick or you will compromise the stock by having to thin it out where you fit it
for one of my rifles I bought the brownells ali set but I had to thin it down first, never did it again though
and as has been said make sure it has plenty of clearance around the screw, you do not want the screw to touch when fitted :thumbsup:

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 08 Dec 2018, 10:18 am

Hey Marksman...

Ali tube only because everything i see & read says aluminium pillars etc.

As you say its just to stop crushing...
I actually got hold of an original brno pin/tube but think ill put a tube in incase i bodge it... :unknown:
2018-12-08 10.28.59.jpg
2018-12-08 10.28.59.jpg (159.97 KiB) Viewed 5444 times

I dont want to cut up my tyre inflator for the project...cos mine works :lol:

So i guess using steel makes sense now you mention it...as you say can do it up tighty tight.

The original is about 9.2mm OD, 1.1mm thick
The Aluminium tube i was gonna buy is 10mm OD with 1.6mm wall so as i said above there is more clearance for the screw than original...& i figured drilling out the stock a further .4mmin radius wont compromise it any... :unknown:

Guess ill fire up google now & see if i can find some steel tube in same dimensions...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 08 Dec 2018, 10:41 am

Nope...well well that wont be happening...

Apparently steel tube isn't made that small...well the smallest is apparently 12 odd mm with 1.6 wall. :unknown:

I shoulda done steel trade & learned how to use a lathe...!! :roll:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gamerancher » 08 Dec 2018, 11:07 am

Take a hacksaw with you to the local wrecking yard or scrap yard that has old machinery. You might find some steel hydraulic / pneumatic lines that fit the bill.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Rod_outbak » 08 Dec 2018, 1:54 pm

Stix,

If you can wait a few days, there are some different thickeness lengths of steel tube here; looks like grandfather stocked up on various sizes for tube magazines.

I can measure them all, and let you know.
Probably wont be until tomorrow, if you can wait that long.
Also, we have 3 or 4 of those 'Red Devil' butane weeder wands, and the steel tube that runs down to the burner reads just under 10mm dia, but I dont know internal wall thickness. One of these weeders has croaked, so I can chop one up if it would help?

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 08 Dec 2018, 1:57 pm

Also,

I see Rebel have an action screw sleeve for a Model 1 for sale ($30)
https://www.rebelgunworks.com.au/produc ... screw-tube

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 08 Dec 2018, 11:18 pm

i had the advantage of having a lathe and making to measure. I also had a pair of Lumly pillars which are SS. I would look at these and see if they are long enough so they can just be cut down. He makes really good quality stuff.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Rod_outbak » 11 Dec 2018, 10:38 am

Stix,

I checked the lengths of tubing in the gunroom here, but none are smaller than roughly 1/2". Plenty of a wide range of rod diameters, but no tubing smaller.

I did find this online, though. Not exactly the sizes you are chasing, but pretty close, and both steel and alloy versions:
https://www.smallparts.com.au/store/par ... und/a/101/

I still have a recollection of seeing something like steel brake line off a truck that looked to be around that diameter, but I'm yet to get over to the shed to see if I was right.

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 11 Dec 2018, 6:22 pm

ally or steel wont really matter its just dont spend your inheritance on it :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by 17Dave » 12 Jan 2019, 9:46 am

Im thinking of bedding my model 2 hence got on to this thread.
I bought an alluminium arrow to make my pillars.
Can cut it quickly and square with a plumbing pipe cutter.
17Dave
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by Stix » 12 Jan 2019, 3:44 pm

17Dave wrote:Im thinking of bedding my model 2 hence got on to this thread.
I bought an alluminium arrow to make my pillars.
Can cut it quickly and square with a plumbing pipe cutter.

Im a Carpenter so i dont trust anything to do with a Plumber...!!! :lol:

Keep us posted Dave, still havnt started mine yet...

I intend to square up in a spinning drill... :)
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Jan 2019, 4:38 pm

What about copper pipe? Comes in many sizes
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 13 Jan 2019, 1:04 am

I ended up getting a 6 metre length of alloy tube, 10mm OD 1.6mm gauge, for under 13 dollars...so unless i find steel, thats what im using.

I wonder how many litres of bedding compound it would take to use up the other 5.85 metres of alloy tube... :unknown:

So on that note...if anyone wants a bit, it'll be laying in my shed doing sfa for the rest of my life so you're welcome to it... :drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 06 Feb 2019, 1:03 pm

Maybe a silly question...

In relation to the pillar that houses the action screw in these rifles (or any rifles for that matter)..

Is it necessary to glue/epoxy this into the stock seperately first...? (My guess is not... :unknown: )
Or not a big deal on a .22...? :unknown:

I imagine it wont move regardless... :unknown:..
:drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 06 Feb 2019, 7:02 pm

any joint that does hydralics or supplies fuel lines should have steel lines of different sizes. i've bought steel fuel line for car restorations a lot of times from such places. i have bought fuel line in 8mm and 10 mm OD from these places. they call it "bundy line" . it's steel , but is resistant to cracking. i bought some about 7 years ago for a mates HR holden project, i think it was about $10 a metre. hope this helps . cheers
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 07 Feb 2019, 7:00 am

bigrich wrote:any joint that does hydralics or supplies fuel lines should have steel lines of different sizes. i've bought steel fuel line for car restorations a lot of times from such places. i have bought fuel line in 8mm and 10 mm OD from these places. they call it "bundy line" . it's steel , but is resistant to cracking. i bought some about 7 years ago for a mates HR holden project, i think it was about $10 a metre. hope this helps . cheers

Thanks BR.."bundy line" .good to know... :thumbsup:
I rang a few places for steel fuel line & had no luck... :unknown:
Got ali tube now anyway.

HR was my first car...
Then i rebuilt 2 of them & an EH...!!

Bloody nice cars...gotta love a car you can do anything to with just a few tools... :clap:

A smallish & largeish adjustable spanners, couple of screw drivers, a length of water pipe, & an open ended & ringy each in 9/16 - 1/2 inch... :clap:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Previous

Return to Gunsmithing