Carnival air rifles - how do they circumvent laws?

Questions about Tasmanian fun and ammunition laws. Tasmanian Firearms Act 1996.

Carnival air rifles - how do they circumvent laws?

Post by TassieTiger » 13 Jan 2019, 12:03 pm

So, I’m curious as to how the carny operators circumvent the gun laws by allowing firearms to not only be discharged in residential areas but also in close proximity to other show goers?

They typically use break barrel .177 air rifles - but if I discharge my own air rifle of similar configuration, in my local 5 acres...I could be breaking the law...
At some shows, I’ve seen them chain the air rifles to the bench in front of the 10m targets, others are simply tethered by a cable of considerable length.
Then there’s the semi auto .177’s where you have to shoot out the “stars”...again - this is an illegal firearm to the public. What gives?
TT.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Re: Carnival air rifles - how do they circumvent laws?

Post by Daddybang » 13 Jan 2019, 12:07 pm

Maybe they're a licensed "range"?? :unknown: :unknown: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Archie » 13 Jan 2019, 1:05 pm

Daddybang wrote:Maybe they're a licensed "range"?? :unknown: :unknown: :drinks:

...but even if they are (and there's a segment in the NSW longarm users guide that sort of implies that they are a "range") doesn't really solve the problem. If you turn up to a proper licenced range to shoot a cat-A rifle, and you're not licenced, you still need to sign forms etc and have a nominated supervisor. And in NSW at least, an airgun is classified as a cat A. So I don't know... its a good question. How does it work at a paintball venue?
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 13 Jan 2019, 1:54 pm

Pretty sure there is a muzzle energy limit.
You could probably throw the BB further.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 13 Jan 2019, 2:57 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:Pretty sure there is a muzzle energy limit.

THIS is the reason I ask. My son had a go at the show and a ricochet came back passed us and hit someone. They complained. The ricochet had me worried RE our / shooters proximity. They are not full bore 1000fps but they still have plenty of go and they are still considered a cat a firearm.
The carny asked if my youngest wanted a go...bye.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by pomemax » 13 Jan 2019, 3:01 pm

Not sure have seen a carnival range of late Has anyone seen one in NSW .
When I was a kid they were everywhere we used to go to George st Sydney there was a Arcade with games and such at the back was the rifle range where for 20 c you could get 5 .22 shorts not bb,s and shoot the targets at 10 m used to spend about $2 a time doing that (1968/9) you had to be 12 years old to shoot lol they were strict on that too just tell the guy yer I am 12 way you went no supervision at all the targets were on a running chain,s
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Archie » 13 Jan 2019, 4:30 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
Gaznazdiak wrote:Pretty sure there is a muzzle energy limit.

THIS is the reason I ask. My son had a go at the show and a ricochet came back passed us and hit someone. They complained. The ricochet had me worried RE our / shooters proximity. They are not full bore 1000fps but they still have plenty of go and they are still considered a cat a firearm.
The carny asked if my youngest wanted a go...bye.

I wouldn't want to catch one in the eye.

I haven't seen an old-style shooting gallery in ages. SSAA NSW has a mobile air rifle range set up - basically it's a caravan sort of thing they take to fairs etc - but set up in such a way that I don't think you could get an angle richochet coming back at you because (I think) you are basically shooting down the interior length of the caravan, with the walls surrounding the firing lane. And I assume they are using very low pressure rifles. Have seen it a few times but never actually had a go.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by ponkychonk » 13 Jan 2019, 4:43 pm

Probably just have an exemption.
ponkychonk
Private
Private

Other

Post by TassieTiger » 13 Jan 2019, 5:31 pm

The semi auto air rifles - to ahootvoht the stars and win a prize, have heavy rubber curtains running full length but the ducks onchains have steel and metal supports everywhere ...

My son was so upset when I stopped him shooting but - risk was not worth it. Eyes are too precious.
I’m amazed as to how they can circumvent what are pretty bloody stringent laws.
Somewhere on the forum a member asked about shooting their air rifle in their backyard...and was met with a mountain of “don’t bother” replies...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by GojiraSteve » 14 Jan 2019, 8:33 am

Sounds like an angle for our new SSAA president to lobby for a reclassification of pellet guns. Maybe...
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by southeast varmiter » 14 Jan 2019, 8:14 pm

There is a provision permit for fair ground operators.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by aimz » 04 Aug 2020, 4:28 pm

pomemax wrote:Not sure have seen a carnival range of late Has anyone seen one in NSW .
When I was a kid they were everywhere we used to go to George st Sydney there was a Arcade with games and such at the back was the rifle range where for 20 c you could get 5 .22 shorts not bb,s and shoot the targets at 10 m used to spend about $2 a time doing that (1968/9) you had to be 12 years old to shoot lol they were strict on that too just tell the guy yer I am 12 way you went no supervision at all the targets were on a running chain,s

sorry to kick up an old thread but i was just reading over it and last year i went to a local school fete and they had a side show alley/carnival type set up with air rifles. i couldnt get near them, the crowd was huge. anyway to answer this question yes ive seen them in nsw, sydney, on school grounds haha. i was surprised!
aimz
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Tasmanian gun laws