Ideal larger calibre and rifle recommendation for begginer

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Ideal larger calibre and rifle recommendation for begginer

Post by Harrynsw » 12 Jan 2019, 9:45 am

Hi folks looking for info/opinions on an ideal calibre and rifle(if that has any bearing) for a begginer to start reloading, and what sort of money am I looking at to begin.
Just throwing the idea around in my head...
Thanks
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Ideal larger calibre and rifle recommendation for beggin

Post by Gaznazdiak » 12 Jan 2019, 10:00 am

G'day Harry.
Depends on many factors like end use, hunting or target, price, where you live etc.

Perhaps a few more details on your plans would allow for more accurate and relevant advice.
:drinks:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 12 Jan 2019, 10:00 am

Larger as in 416 Ruger or something bigger than a 22?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 12 Jan 2019, 10:02 am

Hi Harry...
Have a read of this thread...
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11115
(Incase the link doesnt work ts called "Help me to choose best rifle in .223"...its on the front page of active topics.) & others like it...

Would be helpful to know what you're shooting--targets/rabbits/grizzly bears/dragons/jet fighter planes...?

...but im curious to know what do you call "larger calibre"...? (As youve asked for in the title).
Is that because you are familiar shooting rimfire...? Or you want to start with a big'n cos you can...?

But from your question so far id say Howa or Tikka in 223
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by pomemax » 12 Jan 2019, 11:33 am

Na do it properly 458 Lott or 458 WM best choice for a beginner shoot what ever you like never have to clean up and once your shoulder is healed you can then go Buy a .223 or .22 hornet till you learn to shoot .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 12 Jan 2019, 11:39 am

Gaznazdiak wrote:G'day Harry.
Depends on many factors like end use, hunting or target, price, where you live etc.

Perhaps a few more details on your plans would allow for more accurate and relevant advice.
:drinks:

Is a silly answer both target and hunting?

Price I would say entry level or enough so it's not crap

I live in sydney
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 12 Jan 2019, 11:41 am

Stix wrote:Hi Harry...
(Incase the link doesnt work ts called "Help me to choose best rifle in .223"...its on the front page of active topics.) & others like it...

Would be helpful to know what you're shooting--targets/rabbits/grizzly bears/dragons/jet fighter planes...?

...but im curious to know what do you call "larger calibre"...? (As youve asked for in the title).
Is that because you are familiar shooting rimfire...? Or you want to start with a big'n cos you can...?

Iv been following this thread...

Just bought a Sauer 100 xt in 223
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 12 Jan 2019, 12:54 pm

I would say a Tikka Varmint in 223 with a 1:8 twist barrel but you already have a 223. Can you use it for what you want to do?

If you want to try reloading the 223 is great, just pick up scrap brass off the floor at the range, grab some Lee RGB dies, they are only about $30, and practice sizing. Get some Vmax for hunting and perhaps a 69 grain SMK for target work.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 12 Jan 2019, 1:47 pm

One of the 6.5’s would be a good choice harry. They can throw a heavy enough projectiles for most things in oz, recoil isn’t too bad and their accurate. 243 maybe ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 12 Jan 2019, 3:04 pm

243 probably mate. Good all rounder, but if you’re after something bigger then you can’t go wrong with a 308.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Harrynsw » 12 Jan 2019, 3:22 pm

bigrich wrote:One of the 6.5’s would be a good choice harry. They can throw a heavy enough projectiles for most things in oz, recoil isn’t too bad and their accurate. 243 maybe ?

I was thinking 6.5...does that meet dpi requirements for deer?
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 12 Jan 2019, 3:24 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I would say a Tikka Varmint in 223 with a 1:8 twist barrel but you already have a 223. Can you use it for what you want to do?

If you want to try reloading the 223 is great, just pick up scrap brass off the floor at the range, grab some Lee RGB dies, they are only about $30, and practice sizing. Get some Vmax for hunting and perhaps a 69 grain SMK for target work.

Hmmmm
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 12 Jan 2019, 3:40 pm

You dont like giving anything away do you Harry...? :unknown:

Assuming you want to hunt deer now...? :huh:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Harrynsw » 12 Jan 2019, 4:04 pm

Stix wrote:You dont like giving anything away do you Harry...? :unknown:

Sorry I'm being vague because I myself are not entirely sure which direction I'm going. Toying with idea of reloading.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by cracker » 12 Jan 2019, 4:10 pm

pomemax wrote:Na do it properly 458 Lott or 458 WM best choice for a beginner shoot what ever you like never have to clean up and once your shoulder is healed you can then go Buy a .223 or .22 hornet till you learn to shoot .

only reason a beginner would ever purchase a 458 win mag would be so they could have it reamed into a 458lott.
100% on the money, cheap too shoot, low recoil, practical and should be decent on anything up too large foxes/ feral dogs.
500grain solids over 80grains of ar2208 work well enough for rabbit hunting or even just abit of plinking
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Col » 12 Jan 2019, 4:12 pm

FWIW
243 is a damn good all round calibre and heaps of reloading options. Especially if it your first centrefire. Brilliant hunting calibre except for deer (rules and regs). I personally dont know about target shooting with a 243 but I have been hunting with one for 40 years and cant complain. Been reloading 243 for over 20 years,

Col
Col
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jan 2019, 4:25 pm

Harrynsw wrote:Hi folks looking for info/opinions on an ideal calibre and rifle(if that has any bearing) for a beginner to start reloading, and what sort of money am I looking at to begin.
Thanks

The obvious answer is .223Rem.
You can buy bullets for under 15c apiece.
Once-fired brass for under 15c apiece.
Powder charges are small. AR2206H and AR2208 are both excellent choices that also work well in many other cartridges.
It's generally very easy to get it shooting very well, even your worst loads will still be pretty accurate.
Get a rifle with an 8"-twist barrel and you can experiment with bullets from 35gn to over 80gn, all with excellent accuracy.

A Lee Breechlock Challenge Kit is a great start. Get the kit with the hand primer.
You'll also need a set of dies (Lee Collect Neck Dies are great).
A case trimmer (Lee Quick Trim Die).
A vernier to measure case and cartridge lengths.

I also recommend getting some Trailboss powder and having a play with reduced loads for additional versatility and fun.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Peter988 » 12 Jan 2019, 4:34 pm

Harrynsw wrote:

How do you like the Sauer? Thinking of getting one myself.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 12 Jan 2019, 4:44 pm

Harrynsw wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:I would say a Tikka Varmint in 223 with a 1:8 twist barrel but you already have a 223. Can you use it for what you want to do?

Hmmmm

If you want to shoot at the range, absolutely no other factory rifle and caliber will beat you, it would all come down to your ability to reload and shoot the Tikka. You need to start reloading regardless.

Of course it is not ideal for deer.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 12 Jan 2019, 9:21 pm

Harrynsw wrote:
bigrich wrote:One of the 6.5’s would be a good choice harry. They can throw a heavy enough projectiles for most things in oz, recoil isn’t too bad and their accurate. 243 maybe ?

I was thinking 6.5...does that meet dpi requirements for deer?

i could be mistaken , but in vic it's 270 , in nsw 243 is the minimum . i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong. i suppose it depends on what species your hunting harry. my 6.5x55 is my all rounder . 308 is a good caliber , but i find my 6.5 is the rifle i like to shoot and hunt with over my 308 sako .

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 12 Jan 2019, 9:29 pm

cracker wrote:
pomemax wrote:Na do it properly 458 Lott or 458 WM best choice for a beginner shoot what ever you like never have to clean up and once your shoulder is healed you can then go Buy a .223 or .22 hornet till you learn to shoot .

only reason a beginner would ever purchase a 458 win mag would be so they could have it reamed into a 458lott.
100% on the money, cheap too shoot, low recoil, practical and should be decent on anything up too large foxes/ feral dogs.
500grain solids over 80grains of ar2208 work well enough for rabbit hunting or even just abit of plinking

:lol: :lol: :lol:
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jan 2019, 9:37 pm

bigrich wrote:i could be mistaken , but in vic it's 270 , in nsw 243 is the minimum . i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong. i suppose it depends on what species your hunting harry. my 6.5x55 is my all rounder . 308 is a good caliber , but i find my 6.5 is the rifle i like to shoot and hunt with over my 308 sako .

.243 is minimum here in Vic for the smaller species, .270 for the big three.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 13 Jan 2019, 12:07 am

Harrynsw wrote:
Stix wrote:You dont like giving anything away do you Harry...? :unknown:

Sorry I'm being vague because I myself are not entirely sure which direction I'm going. Toying with idea of reloading.

Harry, im just getting at the fact youve not really answered questions alomg the lines of what you call a large calibre & what youre using it for... :unknown:
So far youve barely mentioned you already have a 223, deer may be on the menu & now you're toying with reloading...

Dood, what do want to do with the rifle along with maybe shoot deer...?... ... ...Cull mice down on the plains... :unknown: ...knock down incoming enemy fighters under the cover of the mallee... :unknown:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Harrynsw » 13 Jan 2019, 7:20 am

Col wrote:FWIW
243 is a damn good all round calibre and heaps of reloading options. Especially if it your first centrefire. Brilliant hunting calibre except for deer (rules and regs). I personally dont know about target shooting with a 243 but I have been hunting with one for 40 years and cant complain. Been reloading 243 for over 20 years,

Col

Thanks col
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 13 Jan 2019, 7:23 am

bladeracer wrote:
Harrynsw wrote:Hi folks looking for info/opinions on an ideal calibre and rifle(if that has any bearing) for a beginner to start reloading, and what sort of money am I looking at to begin.
Thanks

The obvious answer is .223Rem.
You can buy bullets for under 15c apiece.
Once-fired brass for under 15c apiece.
Powder charges are small. AR2206H and AR2208 are both excellent choices that also work well in many other cartridges.
It's generally very easy to get it shooting very well, even your worst loads will still be pretty accurate.
Get a rifle with an 8"-twist barrel and you can experiment with bullets from 35gn to over 80gn, all with excellent accuracy.

A Lee Breechlock Challenge Kit is a great start. Get the kit with the hand primer.
You'll also need a set of dies (Lee Collect Neck Dies are great).
A case trimmer (Lee Quick Trim Die).
A vernier to measure case and cartridge lengths.

I also recommend getting some Trailboss powder and having a play with reduced loads for additional versatility and fun.

Good info thanks bladeracer
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 13 Jan 2019, 7:27 am

Peter988 wrote:
Harrynsw wrote:

How do you like the Sauer? Thinking of getting one myself.

Sweet looking rifle, only 1:10 twist. Have only tried a couple different loads but got some good accuracy out of some 60 grain tap
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Jan 2019, 8:08 am

The 458wm is a pussy to shoot I reckon, I've used my mates and his 375HH and it was fine too, I don't see the big deal in people carrying on about the recoil from em, not like ya sitting down at the range for a session with em (well maybe to sight em in) but not the best cal for a range harlet that's for sure :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigrich » 13 Jan 2019, 8:30 am

JimTom wrote:
cracker wrote:

you guys need to man up and get a real gun . i got a loan from my uncle ( herman the german ) a WW2 surplus 20 mm german flak gun . it comes on it's own handy trailer and has a 20 round magazine and fires 450 rounds per minute. it shoots a 1834 grain explosive anti aircraft projectile (perfect for roo culls , no clean-up required ) or for large pigs with thick shoulder sheilds , uncle herman recomends the 2282 gn anti tank round and has a range of five kilometres . it's amazing what you can find at old military auctions .

bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 13 Jan 2019, 8:56 am

bigrich wrote:
JimTom wrote:
cracker wrote:

you guys need to man up and get a real gun . i got a loan from my uncle ( herman the german ) a WW2 surplus 20 mm german flak gun . it comes on it's own handy trailer and has a 20 round magazine and fires 450 rounds per minute. it shoots a 1834 grain explosive anti aircraft projectile (perfect for roo culls , no clean-up required ) or for large pigs with thick shoulder sheilds , uncle herman recomends the 2282 gn anti tank round and has a range of five kilometres . it's amazing what you can find at old military auctions .

I've always wanted an original .55 Boys Rifle.

No particular reason other than the "FVCK YEAH" factor every time I pulled the trigger.

Ammo might be a bit hard to find in the original so maybe I'll have to settle for the later .50BMG version. :unknown:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 13 Jan 2019, 1:59 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:
bigrich wrote:
JimTom wrote:
cracker wrote:

I've always wanted an original .55 Boys Rifle.

No particular reason other than the "FVCK YEAH" factor every time I pulled the trigger.

Ammo might be a bit hard to find in the original so maybe I'll have to settle for the later .50BMG version. :unknown:

OR a punt gun now there is a real kicker
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition