Morning Hunt with Antiquity

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Morning Hunt with Antiquity

Post by bigpete » 13 Jan 2019, 2:45 pm

Made myself a bit of a resolution this year,to do the majority of my hunting with my muzzleloader guns. I've hunted my entire life with bows and modern cartridge firearms,but I've so far only really played with muzzleloaders.
So yesterday I decided to muck around with my (possibly) 170 year old grundmann sxs 12g caplock. I wanted to pattern a load of AAA shot for shooting foxes. 1.5oz over 72gn of 2f with 6mm leather wads seemed to pattern as well as I expected at 20m,and more than well enough to take a fox.
Screenshot_20190113-144707_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190113-144707_Gallery.jpg (268.45 KiB) Viewed 2601 times

So,this morning,after staying the night at my sisters place with my son,I went out fox calling. Tried and tried and tried again. Used my tenterfield my button whistle,and lip squeaking. In all my favourite spots that have produced in the past. Nothing. So I just decided to stalk around the one small patch of scrub on the place. Straight away I flushed a rabbit which I THOUGHT stopped just at the entrance of a hole in the blackberry. BOOM ! Then another one hops out so BOOM again. Got that one !
Screenshot_20190113-144734_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190113-144734_Gallery.jpg (685.07 KiB) Viewed 2601 times

Unfortunately a load of triple A at 10m makes not for good eating so gun empty I decided to head home,only to have a fox trot across my path while my gun was empty ! A quick kneeling reload in the middle of the paddock still was too slow,and no amount of calling would bring him in,so home again it was.
Halfway up the paddock,right next to a swampy area covered in 3 foot tall ti trees,I jumped a hare out of some bracken at my feet. I quickly thumbed back the hammer,and when he cleared the bracken at 20m,let him have it ! I thought I missed,because he kept going into the ti tree,but I saw one shake like he'd ran into it,which is unusual for a healthy hare,and I thought I'd seen him carrying a rear leg. I went in to have a look at where I'd seen the tree shake,nothing. Walked around a little looking for blood,nothing. Went back out of the patch and replayed the events in my head,and decided to walk circles in the patch as the more I thought about it the more I reckoned I'd hit him. Sure enough,about 10m from where I'd seen the tree shake but in the opposite direction as to where I thought he was travelling I found him piled up. With a broken leg :thumbsup: . So I took a photo and cut him up ready for my tea. Gotta love this old shotgun,and just goes to show it pays to have a proper look sometimes !
Screenshot_20190113-144749_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190113-144749_Gallery.jpg (451.06 KiB) Viewed 2601 times

Screenshot_20190113-144806_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190113-144806_Gallery.jpg (401.02 KiB) Viewed 2601 times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Morning Hunt with Antiquity

Post by Daddybang » 13 Jan 2019, 3:50 pm

Nice work BP.good to see ya didn't just say f@#kit and walk away from a wounded animal :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :drinks:
Bloody nice old shooter too :D :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 13 Jan 2019, 3:54 pm

It was well and truly dead when I found it,it had about 3 pellets in its chest. I've often found hares will run a bit with a chest shot,that's part of the reason I had a really good look
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 13 Jan 2019, 7:57 pm

well done, love that shotgun :drinks:
great story thanks for posting :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Jan 2019, 8:54 pm

Good onya. :mrgreen:

Been a while for me.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 13 Jan 2019, 9:07 pm

Yea good little tale there pete... great stuff...!! :thumbsup:

How do you do your hare can i ask...?

I have a Port Adelaide hare in the freezer waiting to be digested...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 14 Jan 2019, 4:58 am

Usually in stew but this ones getting marinated and probably fried I think
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 14 Jan 2019, 6:45 am

Great stuff Pete. I love the look of that gun, would be real fun I reckon. .
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 23 Jan 2019, 4:21 pm

It's great fun Bent Arrow
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control