Help me to choose best rifle in .223

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Help me to choose best rifle in .223

Post by TassieTiger » 13 Jan 2019, 9:06 pm

It appears to be PUERILE that this thread has gone past 22 pages lol
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Bill » 13 Jan 2019, 9:09 pm

I feel quite Puerile responding to Gaz but when the berries are ripe a Bears gotta feed !
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Islander7 » 13 Jan 2019, 10:09 pm

Hi Bill, I'm glad you had a good laugh. it is believed that laugter prolongs life, so I'm truly glad that there was at least some useful outcome for you from my post :) Seriously though, I just shared my first impressions after getting my first scope, even if they don't make any sense to you, that's fine, it's the internet, I'm entitled to my impressions and you are entitled to your reaction to it :)

I disagree however about your comment regarding comparison of fixed-zoom binoculars and variable zoom scope. Both are optics that's made out of glass for very similar purpose. I used to live in a professional photography world for some time and have seen plenty of cases when premium quality zoom lense outperformed optically a budget fixed lense (even good quality one). But I'm not here to argue :)

By the way, Gaz, no offence taken, it's literally impossible to offend me, be it with the stranger on the internet, or with a mate at the camp fire. I recognise that all people are different and I have zero expectations of others, especially so on the internet. From every conversations in my life I'm absorbing what I find useful to myself and ignoring the rest. :)
Islander7
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by SCJ429 » 13 Jan 2019, 10:18 pm

Great attitude there, everyone has their own journey. You asked questions and got a range of opinions. You made the decisions that worked for you. I have enjoyed your thread. Cheers.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 13 Jan 2019, 10:19 pm

TassieTiger wrote:It appears to be PUERILE that this thread has gone past 22 pages lol

:thumbsup: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 13 Jan 2019, 10:41 pm

One day this thread is going to end................

Those who have watches Apocolypse Now will understand the reference.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Jan 2019, 5:11 am

Islander7 wrote:Hi Bill, I'm glad you had a good laugh. it is believed that laugter prolongs life, so I'm truly glad that there was at least some useful outcome for you from my post :) Seriously though, I just shared my first impressions after getting my first scope, even if they don't make any sense to you, that's fine, it's the internet, I'm entitled to my impressions and you are entitled to your reaction to it :)

I disagree however about your comment regarding comparison of fixed-zoom binoculars and variable zoom scope. Both are optics that's made out of glass for very similar purpose. I used to live in a professional photography world for some time and have seen plenty of cases when premium quality zoom lense outperformed optically a budget fixed lense (even good quality one). But I'm not here to argue :)

By the way, Gaz, no offence taken, it's literally impossible to offend me, be it with the stranger on the internet, or with a mate at the camp fire. I recognise that all people are different and I have zero expectations of others, especially so on the internet. From every conversations in my life I'm absorbing what I find useful to myself and ignoring the rest. :)

I totally agree and am getting the same way with age! :drinks:

Re the glass and lack of any real advantage from the more expensive versus the cheaper offerings, it really is puzzling alright when you start comparing both side by side and don't really see any decent difference (there might be slight differences) but just not that big difference one would expect to go with the big difference in price tag. :unknown:

Maybe out expectations need to be tempered a bit? :unknown: I will say that some are more pleasing to the eye to look through for longer periods though but being a rifle scope I don't really sit there for hours on end looking through it, it's more a matter of spotting something checking it through the scope and taking the shot soon after if it's warranted. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 14 Jan 2019, 6:10 am

A thread about a 223 has reached 23 pages..... hahaha
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 14 Jan 2019, 8:24 am

I know it's not really my place to jump in as your defender Islander, and that you are no doubt more than capable of defending yourself, but I just don't like bullies and I really dislike cowards.

When someone with whom you have a relationship makes fun of you, it can be a joke.

But when some random nobody on the internet ridicules someone from the safe anonymity of the web for asking a legitimate question or expressing their opinion, that is cowardly, and needs to be called out for what it is.

His throw away assertion that it doesn't matter because "it's only the internet" shows the same callous disregard for others that has caused people to take their own life because of being bullied or ridiculed online.

The thing with the anonymity of the net is, you don't know if the person you're talking to is strong as a bull or hovering on the edge and just putting on an impression of normalcy. Words can and have killed people that are in a bad place psychologically.

Anyway mate, apologies if I overstepped.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 14 Jan 2019, 8:30 am

Islander7 wrote:

I know it's not really my place to jump in as your defender Islander, and that you are no doubt more than capable of defending yourself, but I just don't like bullies and I really dislike cowards.

When someone with whom you have a relationship makes fun of you, it can be a joke.

But when some random nobody on the internet ridicules someone from the safe anonymity of the web for asking a legitimate question or expressing their opinion, that is cowardly, and needs to be called out for what it is.

His throw away assertion that it doesn't matter because "it's only the internet" shows the same callous disregard for others that has caused people to take their own life because of being bullied or ridiculed online.

The thing with the anonymity of the net is, you don't know if the person you're talking to is strong as a bull or hovering on the edge and just putting on an impression of normalcy. Words can and have killed people that are in a bad place psychologically. I lost a great mate to suicide, he was hiding life threatening depression under a happy, joking exterior, then seemingly out of the blue, he was gone. We have never found out what the catalyst was for his decision, but it was enough.

Anyway mate, apologies if I overstepped.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 14 Jan 2019, 12:03 pm

G'day Islander7 mate after 23 pages have you and if so what have you settled on and what caliber ?
As your post initially was for a 223 in my opinion that is quiet a capable caliber for what you want it for and a good all round caliber period :thumbsup:
Sorry if I have asked a question that has been answered but I switched off some time back so hope all goes well with your final decision :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :drinks:
Member-Deleted

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Jan 2019, 12:17 pm

G'day Islander7 mate after 23 pages have you and if so what have you settled on and what caliber ?
As your post initially was for a 223 in my opinion that is quiet a capable caliber for what you want it for and a good all round caliber period :thumbsup:
Sorry if I have asked a question that has been answered but I switched off some time back so hope all goes well with your final decision :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :drinks:

He ended up deciding on the 22 Hornet in the Weihrauch brand. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 14 Jan 2019, 12:52 pm

Thanks Bigfellascott 22 Hornet hey , had one myself once sorry I sold it had it for many years I actually bough it with a Martini action fitted
to med/heavy barrel , single shot and every bit as accurate as my 22-250 of today even shot the odd bull with it mind you it was only 25yds away
and head shot ;)
It was my saddle rifle and saved my hide a few times :thumbsup:
I think Islander7 will be quiet happy with his decision of the 22 hornet as for the brand I know absolutely nothing about it :thumbsup:
Thanks mate cheers :drinks: :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by allan » 15 Jan 2019, 1:52 pm

I think Islander7 will be quiet happy with his decision of the 22 hornet as for the brand I know absolutely nothing about it

Bit of a review here:
http://www.sporting-rifle.com/reviews/hornets-test/
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by Member-Deleted » 15 Jan 2019, 11:00 pm

Thanks for that Allan they look quiet the part and a good little write up as well
Thanks again
Member-Deleted

Post by Peter988 » 16 Jan 2019, 8:11 am

I would prefer the 222 for that bit extra punch.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bruiser64 » 16 Jan 2019, 8:51 am

bigfellascott wrote:He ended up deciding on the 22 Hornet in the Weihrauch brand. :thumbsup:

An excellent choice. I owned a 22 hornet years ago and it was a really nice calibre. Cheap to reload, accurate, mild to shoot and very effective on bunnies. I never shot a fox with mine, but I would be surprised if it was anything other than good for them.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Gwion » 17 Jan 2019, 8:46 am

Deleted.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Islander7 » 25 Feb 2019, 11:15 am

Hi again everyone. After a very long wait and all the red tape I've got my Weihrauch rifle few days ago. Thoroughly cleaned/oiled it and mounted the scope.

Tried to zero it yesterday and found the first issue: After the very first shot the brass shell stuck in the barrell. Got it out by using the cleaning rod, took the rifle back to the garage, cleaned/oiled it again. Fired another round - same issue repeated. And again, and again... Long story short: during all 6 rounds I fired, the brass stuck in barrel and each had to be extracted manually by using cleaning plastic rod.

The bolt works smoothly, unfired rounds cycle smoothly and get extracted with no issues, as intended, only empty brass gets stuck. I measured and compared the empty shell width and unfired round width, the empty brass is ~0.15mm wider. So it looks like the brass getting expanded during shot. The ammo is Remington 45gr. PSP.

What am I doing wrong? Is this the issue with ammo or with rifle?
Islander7
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Daddybang » 25 Feb 2019, 11:32 am

Gday islander
Ya probably have said somewhere in the preceding pages but is this a second hand rifle?
I had a .22 magnum recently doing the same thing to the point the only rounds it would extract were subs. Turned out the chamber was absolutely f@#ked allowing cases to slip the extractor when firing standard velocity rounds. I needed to replace the barrel/ receiver or it could be the bolt itself. If it's a new rifle some of the other members should be able to point ya in the right direction. :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Cooper » 25 Feb 2019, 11:37 am

What have you oiled? Bolt? Chamber?. With a problem like that I'd usuall try a different brand of ammo (brass) and see if the problem repeat.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Islander7 » 25 Feb 2019, 11:39 am

Hi Daddybang, no, that's brand new, ordered directly from the distributor. So is it clearly the rifle issue then?
Islander7
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Islander7 » 25 Feb 2019, 11:50 am

Cooper wrote:What have you oiled? Bolt? Chamber?. With a problem like that I'd usuall try a different brand of ammo (brass) and see if the problem repeat.

Out of the box bolt didn't operate smoothly. I cleaned and then oiled and then wiped off excess oil: bolt, chamber, bore, pretty much all metal parts, now bolt operates very smoothly. What puzzles me is that unfired ammo cycles correctly with zero issues. Thanks, I will try different ammo today as per your suggestion, however I think my local shop has only 2 available: the above-mentioned remmington and ppu.
Islander7
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Daddybang » 25 Feb 2019, 12:21 pm

Try as cooper has suggested different ammo. When you say you've oiled the bolt did you strip it to make sure there's nothing fouling up the inners or just oiled the shroud? Apart from those two things that's my meager gunsmith skills tapped out sorry mate :lol:
I'm sure some of the brainstrust will be more helpful :D :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Feb 2019, 2:11 pm

Hi,
0.15 mm is only .006 thou. Doesnt sound like a lot of expansion. Perhaps someone else with more experience can chime in here.

But were the cases showing signs of high pressure?

Also ensure the chamber is dry,,,,,NO oil.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 Feb 2019, 3:02 pm

Islander7 wrote:
Cooper wrote:What have you oiled? Bolt? Chamber?. With a problem like that I'd usuall try a different brand of ammo (brass) and see if the problem repeat.

Out of the box bolt didn't operate smoothly. I cleaned and then oiled and then wiped off excess oil: bolt, chamber, bore, pretty much all metal parts, now bolt operates very smoothly. What puzzles me is that unfired ammo cycles correctly with zero issues. Thanks, I will try different ammo today as per your suggestion, however I think my local shop has only 2 available: the above-mentioned remmington and ppu.

Don't leave any oil in the chamber, it can dramatically increase bolt thrust if the case can't grip the chamber wall.
The expansion you measured sounds fine for factory ammo - I assume that's at the case head, forward of the extractor groove?
Do the fired cases stick if you chamber them again?
I can only guess that the extractor is not functioning correctly if it's slipping off the rim. The extractor should be virtually able to tear the rim before it slips off. Is there any oil on the extractor perhaps letting it slide off the rim? Have you checked for a burr on the extractor?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 25 Feb 2019, 3:30 pm

I’ve had weihrauch rimfires , and they seemed to have tight chambers and didn’t like some American ammo. If there’s oil in the chamber that wouldn’t be helping . My weihrauch’s did chamber the problem ammo after a hundred rounds or so had been run through them
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Islander7 » 25 Feb 2019, 7:51 pm

Thanks all. I've listened to your advice, wiped clean the chamber again and got another ammo to try (PPU). With new ammo the brass extracted correctly in all 10 shots. Very happy now :) didn't have time to zero precisely though as it got dark. Will do tomorrow. Thanks again for everything
Islander7
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 26 Feb 2019, 4:49 am

If you can find some islander, Winchester 46 gn hollow points shoot very well in the hornet rifles I have owned. Which is unusual cause all other Winchester ammunition I’ve ever had shoots like cr@p. Rem hp’s were reasonably accurate as well for me . If you get into hand loading the hornet can be very accurate, cheers
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 26 Feb 2019, 6:51 am

Oldbloke wrote:Hi,
0.15 mm is only .006 thou. Doesnt sound like a lot of expansion. Perhaps someone else with more experience can chime in here.

But were the cases showing signs of high pressure?

Also ensure the chamber is dry,,,,,NO oil.

Depending on where and how the measurement was taken that amount of expansion could be massive!
If measured at the solid web with an accurate micrometer then there is evidence of a dangerous pressure problem. In that case I would say stop what you are doing and visit a competent gunsmith.
A picture with indication where you are measuring would help to clarify.
An oily chamber allows the case to back out upon firing and greatly increase bolt thrust to possibly dangerous levels for some action designs.
If the case backs out sufficiently such that the solid web has moved beyond the support of the chamber walls then extraction will be difficult due to the residual pressure on the bolt. A competent gunsmith will be able to make a minor adjustment to the extractor to improve (but not fully rectify) your problem.
Remington occasionally throws up brass that is somewhat soft in in the web area and the problem can be due to a number of factors combined.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles