Looking for a hand spotlight for spotlighting

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Looking for a hand spotlight for spotlighting

Post by TBJ » 12 Jan 2019, 4:49 pm

G'day all
I'm looking for a handheld spotlight, I've been looking at the Lightforce as they are Australian and I love the ones on the front of the ute, I was thinking either the 170 or the 240, I was thinking the 170 as the 240 looks like it might be a bit big to use inside my ute, but what do you guys think? HID or Halogen? I've also been thinking about which option for the cable, which one is better the cigarette lighter or alligator clips? I use the ute as my daily so I want to be able to remove it when I go to town easily. so what spotlights do you guys suggest?
cheers
Have: .17H .22LR .204R .222REM .223REM .22-250 .243WIN .270WIN .308WIN .300WM 7.62x39 30-06SPRG .303BRIT 30-30WIN 9.3x62 45-70GOVT 44RMAG 45LC 20GA 12GA .410GA
Want: .220SWIFT 6.5CREED .260REM .375H&H .416RIGBY .444MARLIN .458WIN 16GA 28GA
TBJ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Looking for a hand spotlight for spotlighting

Post by Gaznazdiak » 12 Jan 2019, 4:54 pm

fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TBJ » 12 Jan 2019, 5:57 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:https://www.zeusindustrial.com/Zeus%20Assassin%20spotlight.htm

Their rifle mounted one is excellent as well, I have 3.

https://www.zeusindustrial.com/Zeus%20Q5%20Tactical.htm

Thanks, sadly I'm not keen on LED use for hunting, I've used one of my mates and I didn't like it as much as Halogen for hunting
Have: .17H .22LR .204R .222REM .223REM .22-250 .243WIN .270WIN .308WIN .300WM 7.62x39 30-06SPRG .303BRIT 30-30WIN 9.3x62 45-70GOVT 44RMAG 45LC 20GA 12GA .410GA
Want: .220SWIFT 6.5CREED .260REM .375H&H .416RIGBY .444MARLIN .458WIN 16GA 28GA
TBJ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 13 Jan 2019, 11:50 am

Gaz I bought one of the hand held's but there was no instructions in the box
how do you know when the batteries are charged :unknown:
very happy with the light, it throws light at very long distances :thumbsup:
I am going to try and black out the edges of the green lens so it doesn't glow back at you though :wtf:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 13 Jan 2019, 2:05 pm

That transmission of light through the lens edges is a bugger on the green, eh?

The charger that came with mine has an LED on it that turns green when it's plugged in with the light not connected, red when it's connected to the light if it's discharged some of it's charge level, and back to green when it's 100%

I have had mine apart and there are 2 3.7v 18650 batteries in there. The new ones have circuitry to protect the battery from running completely flat or overcharging.
After about 2hrs full use it seems to take mine around 4.5-5hrs, 6 if I've run it right down.
Attachments
20190113_150645.jpg
20190113_150645.jpg (280.59 KiB) Viewed 3390 times
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 13 Jan 2019, 7:42 pm

sorry to have hijacked your post TBJ
in all honesty this light is very good although you are not after a led light
I haven't yet tried it with the green filter because of the glow back but have painted the edges to try and fix it
if this works it will not scare the animals if thats why you dont want the led
I have an Olight on my rifle that has the green filter and I can just about walk up on animals with it on but without I get the same reaction as this light,
the rabbits start getting edgy at around 200, I have found that the filter is good
I have done this to try and fix the problem, blackening the edges
thanks for all the info Gaz I thought the light might change but it hasn't yet, I will let you know how it goes later when it gets dark enough :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by marksman » 14 Jan 2019, 9:43 am

TBJ
I use a power beam halogen spotlight through the roof in the car, I have fitted lightforce filters as they fit the outside of the light with a couple of self tappers
I would recommend them so this may help with your question http://www.powabeam.com.au/spotlights/

and Gaz the paint on the edge of the filter did the job although after doing it I thought if I had just put tape around it the result would be the same :thumbsup:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 14 Jan 2019, 10:14 am

marksman wrote:TBJ
I use a power beam halogen spotlight through the roof in the car, I have fitted lightforce filters as they fit the outside of the light with a couple of self tappers
I would recommend them so this may help with your question http://www.powabeam.com.au/spotlights/

and Gaz the paint on the edge of the filter did the job although after doing it I thought if I had just put tape around it the result would be the same :thumbsup:

I've got some matt black paint from my DIY splash target experiment, I'll mask up my green lens and give it squirt.
Well done that man.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Jan 2019, 10:18 am

marksman wrote:Gaz I bought one of the hand held's but there was no instructions in the box
how do you know when the batteries are charged :unknown:
very happy with the light, it throws light at very long distances :thumbsup:
I am going to try and black out the edges of the green lens so it doesn't glow back at you though :wtf:

Black duct tape or leccy tape should work I'd imagine. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 14 Jan 2019, 12:39 pm

TBJ mate my old spotlight broke down awhile back and it took awhile to get a seeled beam for it so I bought a Lightforce Striker 170mm
and now it's my main spot light now it's so light you can adjust the beam size from large to small good length lead also tough I've dropped mine several times
you can buy extra bulbs which I paid $6 ea for also you can buy adapters to screw and attach it to a hood rack and extended swivel handle so it's quiet
versatile light has excellent range and you can buy coloured covers for it if you so desire
Price here was $128 my other light is fixed now but I use the lightforce because it's lighter , better light for me and I think it pulls less power than my old one
Hope this gives you some idea and helps
Member-Deleted

Post by brett1868 » 14 Jan 2019, 10:17 pm

Here's a good test for you....pick up the spotlight and hold it above your head as high as you can. Time how long it takes before it becomes uncomfortable....then buy the lightest one you can.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Jan 2019, 1:16 am

Buy a spotlight mount that either fits to the roof or mounts up in the window frame if you want to run a handheld spotlight like a lightforce it’s easier when you are on your own.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control