New long range .22 LR rimfire shoot in Adelaide. XRRS

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

New long range .22 LR rimfire shoot in Adelaide. XRRS

Post by wildcard6 » 06 Jan 2019, 1:25 pm

It's taken the best part of 12 months, but this new shoot is officially sanctioned and ready to go. It's called XRRS for eXtended Range Rimfire Silhouette. At SSAA Para range, the first shoot will be on January 13th [Sunday] afternoon. Metallic silhouette targets will be used at ranges 100m, 150m, 200m and 300yds. Targets sizes will be reduced for each new detail, although the 300 yard RAM target stays the same throughout the event. Holdover at 300 yds is roughly 40 MOA, so a 'tactical-style' scope is an advantage. The focus is on a fun shoot and I have borrowed a rule from the Fly shoot which states that 'any competitor not having fun will be disqualified'. This shoot should suit anyone with a Ruger Precision Rimfire rifle. Only $5.00 entry for non-Para members. Minimum number of rounds required is 16 and maximum number is 80. In a nutshell, it is a benchrested shoot [no rear bags allowed though], with each shooter firing a single shot in turns. If you hit your target on the first shot, you're done at that range. If you miss, you get a maximum of five tries with a diminishing score on each attempt. Come along and have some fun!
wildcard6
Private
Private

South Australia

Re: New long range .22 LR rimfire shoot in Adelaide. XRRS

Post by bladeracer » 06 Jan 2019, 3:47 pm

Sounds like a fun day out :-)
Are other ranges available so if you crash out of the comp early you can still do some shooting?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 07 Jan 2019, 8:11 am

This sounds like a heap of inexpensive fun..
Look forward to hearing more and seeing some pics etc!! :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by wildcard6 » 07 Jan 2019, 7:26 pm

In answer to the query about using other ranges if you crash out, crashing out is not really possible, because it's a points scoring match. In each detail you get up to five chances to hit your target. Top score for a first-round hit and less for each attempt thereafter. After five unsuccessful attempts, your score on that range/target will be zero. Then you engage the next target at longer range with the same five chances and so on for the four different ranges. There will be four details shot, with targets getting smaller on each detail [devilish!]. We have had a trial match already and everybody seemed to have a good time. The $5.00 visitor's fee only covers the match being shot. This match is shot on our Main Range and that is the only range available for visitors to use. Think of it this way... don't give up, just try harder!
wildcard6
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 07 Jan 2019, 7:40 pm

wildcard6 wrote:In answer to the query about using other ranges if you crash out, crashing out is not really possible, because it's a points scoring match. In each detail you get up to five chances to hit your target. Top score for a first-round hit and less for each attempt thereafter. After five unsuccessful attempts, your score on that range/target will be zero. Then you engage the next target at longer range with the same five chances and so on for the four different ranges. There will be four details shot, with targets getting smaller on each detail [devilish!]. We have had a trial match already and everybody seemed to have a good time. The $5.00 visitor's fee only covers the match being shot. This match is shot on our Main Range and that is the only range available for visitors to use. Think of it this way... don't give up, just try harder!

Sounds good.
Funny you mentioned it suited the Ruger Precision Rimfire...I ordered one on Saturday :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 07 Jan 2019, 9:48 pm

Sounds like fun. I won't be able to make it too this one, but I'm definitely interested in coming and seeing if I can score a flat zero :-)
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by wildcard6 » 08 Jan 2019, 1:11 pm

One of the difficulties of getting a new match up and running is getting range time to shoot it. The powers-that-be have pinched my April shoot [Easter] in order to host the Black Powder Nationals at Para. In the meanwhile though, I've scheduled shoots on February 3rd and March 3rd. Both of these will be a 200m variant due to a clash with the shotgun match on the same days. April will be a 'bye' with no shoots possible, but then May's will be on Sunday the 12th and back to 300 yards. I will be making the 200m version plenty challenging though, don't worry!
wildcard6
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jan 2019, 1:39 pm

wildcard6 wrote:One of the difficulties of getting a new match up and running is getting range time to shoot it. The powers-that-be have pinched my April shoot [Easter] in order to host the Black Powder Nationals at Para. In the meanwhile though, I've scheduled shoots on February 3rd and March 3rd. Both of these will be a 200m variant due to a clash with the shotgun match on the same days. April will be a 'bye' with no shoots possible, but then May's will be on Sunday the 12th and back to 300 yards. I will be making the 200m version plenty challenging though, don't worry!

Is there a requirement that these competitions have to be shot at an existing range?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wildcard6 » 08 Jan 2019, 2:35 pm

The infrastructure required to hold this event is extensive. Ten each Ram, Turkey, Pig and Chicken targets [Lever action scale], plus ten each Chickens and Pigs [scoped rimfire rifle scale]. Elevated stands to put the 300-yard Rams on, plus of course a 300 yard range! If you've got all that I'm sure you could do it elsewhere, but I haven't... One of the key elements to a fun shoot is having a decent number of shooters too and a gun club is the place to find them. By the way, I put a few little videos on youtube ages ago when I was trialling the idea. If you search for 'long range rimfire silhouette shooting' you should be able to find them fairly easily.
wildcard6
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jan 2019, 3:03 pm

wildcard6 wrote:The infrastructure required to hold this event is extensive. Ten each Ram, Turkey, Pig and Chicken targets [Lever action scale], plus ten each Chickens and Pigs [scoped rimfire rifle scale]. Elevated stands to put the 300-yard Rams on, plus of course a 300 yard range! If you've got all that I'm sure you could do it elsewhere, but I haven't... One of the key elements to a fun shoot is having a decent number of shooters too and a gun club is the place to find them. By the way, I put a few little videos on youtube ages ago when I was trialling the idea. If you search for 'long range rimfire silhouette shooting' you should be able to find them fairly easily.

I figured if you were organising the competition that you already had the targets, and targets can be put up anywhere, even on a farm ;-) You might even find you get more interest as lots of people don't like having to shoot at approved ranges.
I'll have to order some more half-scale silhouettes I think.

That's a long list of videos :-)
Can you narrow it down a bit more?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wildcard6 » 08 Jan 2019, 8:56 pm

wildcard6
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jan 2019, 9:21 pm

wildcard6 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOKgfLnLimg

Nice, I have seen that before.
Me at 240m :-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kyzih_Jt2U
Target is a steel plate up a dead tree, 200mm wide by 400mm tall.
https://enoughgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=10735
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wildcard6 » 08 Jan 2019, 9:41 pm

I've tried to upload a photo of the target set, but can't work out what I'm doing wrong. Sorry!
wildcard6
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jan 2019, 9:54 pm

wildcard6 wrote:I've tried to upload a photo of the target set, but can't work out what I'm doing wrong. Sorry!

That would be cool.
Bit hard to get across to SA for a shoot, but I could set up my own and have a play :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 09 Jan 2019, 7:52 am

Look up 22bpcr on the www, scaled targets at 50,100, 150 and 200m. Ram is 40% of full size ram. The lever gun ones you are using are 1/2 size ( 50%)
Shot with late 1800's rifles, or replicas thereof, exposed hammer, iron sights or period correct scopes with external adjustments.
Chickens @ 50m are shot offhand, the rest any position using cross-sticks, prone being the favored position.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by wildcard6 » 09 Jan 2019, 1:10 pm

The targets I am using are RIMFIRE targets used in the Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette [smallbore] match. I can't say whether they are 40 or 50%, I don't know. They only form the basic target set for the shoot though, with the larger targets being progressively replaced with smaller ones with each successive detail. They are the Scoped Rimfire Rifle targets and they are SMALL. The chickens at 100m are not much more than MOA size, so there's a challenge even at the minimum range. I keep trying to upload a photo, but each time I fail. Anybody know how to do it?
wildcard6
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 09 Jan 2019, 1:16 pm

wildcard6 wrote:The targets I am using are RIMFIRE targets used in the Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette [smallbore] match. I can't say whether they are 40 or 50%, I don't know. They only form the basic target set for the shoot though, with the larger targets being progressively replaced with smaller ones with each successive detail. They are the Scoped Rimfire Rifle targets and they are SMALL. The chickens at 100m are not much more than MOA size, so there's a challenge even at the minimum range. I keep trying to upload a photo, but each time I fail. Anybody know how to do it?

It might be the size? Must be under 2Mb to upload.
Would be damned handy if the software were smart enough to decide what size it wants to make them.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wildcard6 » 09 Jan 2019, 1:30 pm

The image I'm trying to upload is 1.4mb. I have emailed the site operator asking for instructions/help.
wildcard6
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Gamerancher » 09 Jan 2019, 1:39 pm

The rimfire ( smallbore ) lever action targets are 1/2 size. ( 50%, I do know )
The scoped rifle smallbore targets are 1/5 size. I've spent over 20 years shooting at them, I know how small they are.

Not trying to rain on your parade, you are trying something different, good luck to you. :thumbsup:
If it wasn't a 14 hr drive, I'd come along.

I just gave you another silhouette shoot to look at for interest sake.

The .22bpcr targets are scaled to distance: % of full size targets

chickens @ 50m are 25% ( 50/200 ) shot standing, off-hand.
pigs @ 100m are 33% ( 100/300 )
Turkeys " 150m are 38% ( 150/385 )
Rams @ 200m are 40% ( 200/500 )
It is an enjoyable, challenging event that is well patronized in the U.S.
Here in Australia, we shoot it but using the 1/2 size targets that you are using, mainly because the existing silhouette ranges already have them.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by YoungBuck » 09 Jan 2019, 1:47 pm

That actually sounds really bloody fun. If that makes it's way over to Vic @ the SSAA Little River range count me in.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 09 Jan 2019, 2:20 pm

Gamerancher wrote:The rimfire ( smallbore ) lever action targets are 1/2 size. ( 50%, I do know )
The scoped rifle smallbore targets are 1/5 size. I've spent over 20 years shooting at them, I know how small they are.

Not trying to rain on your parade, you are trying something different, good luck to you. :thumbsup:
If it wasn't a 14 hr drive, I'd come along.

I just gave you another silhouette shoot to look at for interest sake.

The .22bpcr targets are scaled to distance: % of full size targets

chickens @ 50m are 25% ( 50/200 ) shot standing, off-hand.
pigs @ 100m are 33% ( 100/300 )
Turkeys " 150m are 38% ( 150/385 )
Rams @ 200m are 40% ( 200/500 )
It is an enjoyable, challenging event that is well patronized in the U.S.
Here in Australia, we shoot it but using the 1/2 size targets that you are using, mainly because the existing silhouette ranges already have them.

I'll have to draw up some silhouettes to those scales and see how I go with them. What are the sight limitations for BPCR - aftermarket peeps okay?

I'll have to set aside a week or two to pull a few hundred bullets and load up some .22LR with blackpowder ;-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 09 Jan 2019, 2:32 pm

Vernier tangs are the go. No need to pull the bullets, the BPCR is about the types of rifles, not the propellant. But, hey if you want to just for sh!ts sake, have at it.
Have a look on the www, there will be plenty of photos of the rifles that are used. ( U.S )
In Aus , we shoot the wrong sized targets (bigger) and allow Martini's, ( no external hammer ), mainly because there are so many of them.
Still in its infancy, we'll be shooting a match at the Majura range ( A.C.T. ) on the Monday morning ( 21st Jan) after the early Australia day silhouette match, followed by a 40 shot BPCR match in the afternoon. Tell your brother to come along and have a look if he 'aint busy.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by wildcard6 » 10 Jan 2019, 7:59 pm

I can't believe I finally got it to work! I had to resize down to <1mb! So now, there are the match targets [there's one missing, the little Ram got cut off]. I had a final rehearsal today with one other shooter and we got our 100m, 150m and 200m zeroes locked in using the little chickens, pigs and rams. Because there was a shotgun match on we couldn't go out to 300 yards, but it's easy enough to shoot at rocks on the dirt backstop at 300 yards. IT AIN'T EASY HITTING AT 300 YARDS!!! I'm amazed that there's a group at Monarto shooting complex here in SA that shoots rimfires at 500m! They only shoot at plates though - no falling targets, and they're the ones I LOVE to shoot. Big cheerio to all and I'll report back here after the shoot on Sunday.
Attachments
TargetSet.PNG
TargetSet.PNG (852.8 KiB) Viewed 8495 times
wildcard6
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Faedy » 11 Jan 2019, 12:29 am

Hey - any chance of putting approx measurements on each of your above targets?
Im lucky enough to have a 100 acre property to shoot on, and Ive made my own shooting range there goes to 300m.
Ive been having fun shooting my.22 at 200m using 400 x 400mm bisalloy plate,but this is next level fun.
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Gamerancher » 11 Jan 2019, 5:46 am

Silhouette target sizes are available from the SSAA website. Go to disciplines page and from there the silhouette rule book. The sizes for all targets are listed there.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Faedy » 11 Jan 2019, 10:35 pm

Thanks for that
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by tom604 » 13 Jan 2019, 5:42 pm

well i have done the shoot and it was a lot of fun :thumbsup: ,bit of friendly banter :friends: and not too much wind :allegedly: ,didn't change my scope just used holdover, may change that as i was off the cross hairs at 300 which makes it fun guessing where to aim, those chooks get very small (two sizes) at 100 and hard to see from the dust that all the near misses kick up (may have shot the wrong target :oops: ) all in all a fun shoot :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by wildcard6 » 13 Jan 2019, 8:38 pm

Fourteen intrepid shooters signed in for the shoot today. Many shooters were unprepared for the shoot, but kept on trying gamely nevertheless. One shooter shot the match using a little single shot 'Badger' [break-barrel rifle with maybe 16" barrel!!] and not surprisingly he struggled to get a score - but he did! He scored nine points out of a possible 270!! Good on him for not only trying but not giving up. With the largeish turnout and the hot weather [34 degrees or so], I cut the shoot down from 4 details to 3. One thing became apparent. I set the bar a little too high for most shooters who were doing this for the first time. When I scaled down the targets after the first detail, the 100m small chickens are EXTREMELY challenging. The small pigs at 150m are [what's a word that's doubly EMTREMELY?], well anyway it was F*c*ing hard and it just got harder as I scaled the big turkeys down to big chickens at 200m.
The queen of targets though is the big ram at 300 yards and they proved a worthy challenge indeed. One redoubtable shooter who'd struggled all day using a borrowed scope only put on his rifle just before the shoot started managed to pull off an absolute screamer with a first-round hit in the last detail. There was a roar from the 'crowd' [and several demands for a urine sample] and I believe that shot made his day. I bagged a first-round hit on that same target and what really amazed me was being able to see the bullet smack into the target [dead centre] and then I saw the bullet bounce off!! Big round of applause for the Vortex Diamondback Tactical scope - pretty good optics for a mid-range scope. The next shoot will be on February 3rd - a 200 meter variant - and I will set the bar a bit lower next time. Until such time as a few other shooters start to improve their scores, at least. Modesty forbids me from saying who won the comp, but in seeing how much everybody seemed to enjoy the shoot, I was a winner already.
Attachments
300.5.PNG
300.5.PNG (763.54 KiB) Viewed 8427 times
300.4.PNG
Remains of 300 yard targets at end of day
300.4.PNG (1 MiB) Viewed 8427 times
wildcard6
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jan 2019, 9:44 pm

Sounds like it was a blast :-)
Any video at all?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wildcard6 » 14 Jan 2019, 8:29 pm

Sorry, but I was busy organising, running the shoot, and actually shooting and above all, having a good time. Next shoot in February I'm going to experiment with 200-yards only [can't shoot out to 300 due to a clash with a shotgun match on at the same time]. The 300-yard targets are in the firing line of the shotgunners. That may be possible to set up the video, and the hit-rate should be a bit higher than at 300-yards. I'm leaning towards limiting things to a single range shoot [the longest possible on the day] to shorten the overall time for the shoot. Plenty of challenge, targets hittable by 'average' shooters. That's the key to a successful shoot, I reckon.
wildcard6
Private
Private

South Australia

Next

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges