450 bushmaster love it or hate it!

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

450 bushmaster love it or hate it!

Post by Crankycant » 14 Jan 2019, 9:42 pm

Hey guys,
Has anyone had a chance to try out the 450 BM if so what do you like or dislike about it. Would love to get your feedback also if anyone is reloading the 450 do Lee have dies.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Crankycant
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: 450 bushmaster love it or hate it!

Post by southeast varmiter » 15 Jan 2019, 5:11 am

The question is why?
You do realise the only reason this cartridge exists is due to some states in USA requiring straight wall cartridges for deer?
Has no application beyond that.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Crankycant » 15 Jan 2019, 6:39 am

So what your saying there is no other use for this cartridge! I'm not saying your not right because I did ask the question. Why? Because I can and I have a feeling I may like it. And because it's something different. What are your reasons for not liking the 45 BM do you own a rifle in this caliber, Convince me otherwise and and I'll just buy a 45-70.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
Crankycant
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 15 Jan 2019, 6:53 am

It should be a fairly efficient big bore. Unless you are restricted by the length of your magizene then there are some others to consider. The 45/70 is the obvious readily available solution but I like the 458 or 50 B&M. They make excellent Sambar rifles.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Crankycant » 15 Jan 2019, 7:58 am

I really want good big bore single shot break action scrub gun. No deer where I live but a lot of big pigs and thick scrub. Thanks SCJ I'll have look at the 458 and the 50 b-m.
Crankycant
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 15 Jan 2019, 1:42 pm

sotheast is right and i do no guys that do hunt with them its like saying 308 or 30-06 its more what do you want the guys i no are hunting with rugers.
it will work fine for pigs and if you are hand loading you can work up some nice stuff
Attachments
38303-DEFAULT-l.jpg
38303-DEFAULT-l.jpg (37.7 KiB) Viewed 2709 times
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Crankycant » 15 Jan 2019, 7:56 pm

Thanks wrenchman appreciate your input I definitely will be developing some specific loads for the job. Once I get into it I will post up some ballistics, loads and some ferals I've shot with it. I really don't need anything long range I have rifles for that. the scrub I'm hunting is really thick lignum only way in is walking and crawling and if the pigs aren't scared they will get you so essentially I need something with a heavy pill and knockdown power.
Crankycant
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by NamesPete » 16 Jan 2019, 9:00 pm

I legit wrote to Henry firearms to make a 450BM lever. There's a company in the States that will custom a Marlin lever into 450BM. Google Marlin 450 Bushmaster and you'll see it. Henry said they've had a requests so it's on the radar. I'm saving for the Ruger scout 450BM (because it looks magic) unless Henry (or whoever) come thru. I consider it a better round than the 45-70, but opinions are like a-holes. Smaller cartridge but thumps like a son of a nasty. I'm definitely keen and will jump on it eventually.
NamesPete
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles