Accurizing a CZ452

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Accurizing a CZ452

Post by binniespurp » 23 Oct 2014, 11:33 am

Was wondering about all of the differences that could be installed on a CZ452?

So far, The Trigger has been changed to a Rifle Basixs at about 300 Grams

The Barrel is being replaced with Neville Maddens 1 Inch Bull Barrel

And I’ve been looking at Stock Options.

Will a New stock, Mcmillan or Manners, make a difference to accuracy?

And is there anything else that can be changed, to accurize this rifle?

At my range, someone using a CZ452 action, With aftermarket parts is scoring generally more consistently and higher than $3000 - $4000 Anschutz Rifles.

Will an aluminium bedding block effect accuracy much, or is it more of a hassle for fine tuning?

Thanks~
binniespurp
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Accurizing a CZ452

Post by hrrl » 06 Nov 2014, 12:36 pm

binniespurp wrote:At my range, someone using a CZ452 action, With aftermarket parts is scoring generally more consistently and higher than $3000 - $4000 Anschutz Rifles.

At a guess I'd chalk that up to him being a better shooter, not having a better rifle.

You can't say the Anschütz aren't accurate (with the right ammo).

I could go drop $10,000 on a .50 cal but I'd still be s**t at long range shooting :lol:
Howa Nowa Browna Cowa
hrrl
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Tiiger » 06 Nov 2014, 12:42 pm

Having done the barrel and especially the trigger, I reckon you've got the important parts done.

Personally I couldn't justify the cost of a Mcmillan or similar stock for 50m shooting.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Kelix » 06 Nov 2014, 12:43 pm

binniespurp wrote:Will an aluminium bedding block effect accuracy much, or is it more of a hassle for fine tuning?

I wouldn't bother for a .22.

Just get it bedded with a normal epoxy.
Kelix
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 13 Nov 2014, 10:55 pm

The best thing you can do is find out what sort of ammo it likes the best,,, rim fires are so so different to centre fires.

e.g...I had a spare model 2 Bruno sitting in the safe...and wanted to take up a bit of informal rim fire target shooting/50 metre stuff at our local range...
Tried a few different things, barrel, bedding, trigger, etc etc...by the time I was finished it owed me a bomb, and at the end of the day it shot about the same as when it was in standard config...and im so ready to wrap this thing around a tree.....

A very learned senior at the club said "try as much different standard ammo as you can get your hands on,,,, find out what it likes,,,,

Sure enough,,, standard velocity ammo by the name of SK, comes in a tube type container with a ring pull top, will put them in the same hole at 50 metres all day.

And ive seen it time and time again, (and its not so informal now,,, more like a competitive carving).

The ammo is the most important component in the quest for rim fire accuracy.

collector 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 14 Nov 2014, 3:04 pm

Following everything Collector said...

I had a few moments of frustration with my Anschutz finding the right ammo. I wanted a serious accuracy rifle out of the box without having to do any work on it, so went with the 1416D with the heavy barrel and the beavertail stock for benchrest.

It wasn't cheap so I had high expectations of it.

I tried 14 or something different types of ammo and found the winner towards the end of the testing. Some of the earlier ones were awful, 1.5" - 2" groups at 50m. Not happy when you've just spent $1,200 on a .22.

Got to the RWS club ammo though and suddenly everything fell into place. It was instantly shooting groups 1/10th the size of the previous ammo with no changes to the rifle.

Some pics I posted on it here - 22LR ammo comparison
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by wictor » 21 Nov 2014, 9:15 am

How's it going with the work you've done so far binniespurp?

Groups?
wictor
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by nuthead » 26 Nov 2014, 5:52 pm

Hi Binniespurp,

I've just finished doing something very similar to what you're talking about (maddco barrel on a CZ453 and a cone breech, trigger lightened to 1.5lbs, bedded) - although I went with a Bentz chamber instead of a match chamber since I wanted to use it as a field gun mostly.

I wouldnt choose a CZ action for a bench gun to be honest - theyre made to be very reliable in a range of conditions and they happen to be pretty accurate too but theyre not built with pure accuracy in mind.

a custom action or even an anschutz match 54 action would be better for a match gun. If you were going to use a CZ action regardless - the best action is the 453 varmint or the 452 American. Both of these have 2 action screws and a fully floated barrel, rather than one action screw and a barrel lug.

I buggered up one screw in the trigger group (so its only held in the action by 1.5 action screws) I shot it anyway - It shows promise (I reckon I can shrink the groups a bit more) - if you went with a match chamber instead of a bentz chamber, that would tighten up the groups even more. I'll retest properly when the parts for the trigger group come in from CZ

heres a few pics:
Attachments
20141121_170631_resized.jpg
20141121_170631_resized.jpg (236.16 KiB) Viewed 7251 times
20141121_170600_resized.jpg
20141121_170600_resized.jpg (182.02 KiB) Viewed 7251 times
20141121_170554_resized.jpg
20141121_170554_resized.jpg (187.07 KiB) Viewed 7251 times
20141121_170529_resized.jpg
20141121_170529_resized.jpg (247.74 KiB) Viewed 7251 times
20141121_170456_resized.jpg
20141121_170456_resized.jpg (222.86 KiB) Viewed 7251 times
20141121_170443_resized.jpg
20141121_170443_resized.jpg (241.76 KiB) Viewed 7251 times
nuthead
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by jubble » 26 Nov 2014, 8:36 pm

Great cloverleaf on the third photo.

Always 1 flyer which wrecks such a good group :lol:
jubble
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by salate » 27 Nov 2014, 10:30 am

Worse is doing a 10 shot and getting to 8 or 9 before one screws the perfect group for you :lol:

That's as frustrating as it gets.
salate
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Shootrj2003 » 15 Jan 2019, 9:34 am

That's a good lot of work,but to my way of think in' ,you threw away a perfectly good barrel,and a good stock and by the time you were done spent nearly as much as an Anshutz or other higher end rifle,I suppose that's fine and how you spend your shillings is your business,but an Anshutz is at that pay grade is probably a better rifle,with no extra work. Sort of like buying a new Chevrolet Corvette for the engine and Tranny.I did though ,buy a Marlin M-60 ,and converted it to a clip fed competition Sporterifle rifle ,with a few more little tricks thrown in about $200 so far.but anyway hello all from USA
Shootrj2003
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by SCJ429 » 15 Jan 2019, 7:26 pm

Are you allowed to fit a Harrell's tuner to your barrel?

You could upgrade the stock to an Anschutz Precise stock.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Homer » 17 Jan 2019, 7:12 am

G'Day Fella's,

Binniespurp, I've replaced the CZ factory trigger, with a Timney unit and adjusted it to be both Light but most importantly SAFE!
Apart from that, I've floated the barrel, and these two changes, have improved the consistancy of the rifles group shooting ability.
The only remaining weak link, is the ammo used and of course me/the operator ...............

DSCN1175.JPG
DSCN1175.JPG (1011.71 KiB) Viewed 5236 times

The CZ factory, hammer forged sporter weight barrel, is more than capable of shooting tiny groups, it's just a pity I can't.

D'oh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by bigrich » 17 Jan 2019, 5:07 pm

Homer wrote:G'Day Fella's,

Binniespurp, I've replaced the CZ factory trigger, with a Timney unit and adjusted it to be both Light but most importantly SAFE!
Apart from that, I've floated the barrel, and these two changes, have improved the consistancy of the rifles group shooting ability.
The only remaining weak link, is the ammo used and of course me/the operator ...............

DSCN1175.JPG

The CZ factory, hammer forged sporter weight barrel, is more than capable of shooting tiny groups, it's just a pity I can't.

D'oh!
Homer

timney trigger hey homer ? how much mucking around to fit that mate ? and did it make that much of a difference ? i've got a lowey trigger kit , but i do like the idea of a timney ;) . you can get the timney pull lighter more safely i believe ?

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Homer » 18 Jan 2019, 7:14 am

G'Day Fella's,

Bigrich, I initially done one of my usual trigger jobs, on the CZ factory trigger.
This was as usual, pretty good but I thought I'd give the Timney a try.
According to my working log, installing the Timney trigger took 3 hours (start to finish).
This requires mods to the stock inletting and to a lesser degree, the action.

When adjusted, the end result is, the Timney delivers a lighter (but still safe) trigger pull, to the modified CZ factory trigger.

Hope that helps

D'oh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Post by bigrich » 18 Jan 2019, 9:56 pm

Homer wrote:G'Day Fella's,

Bigrich, I initially done one of my usual trigger jobs, on the CZ factory trigger.
This was as usual, pretty good but I thought I'd give the Timney a try.
According to my working log, installing the Timney trigger took 3 hours (start to finish).
This requires mods to the stock inletting and to a lesser degree, the action.

When adjusted, the end result is, the Timney delivers a lighter (but still safe) trigger pull, to the modified CZ factory trigger.

Hope that helps

D'oh!
Homer

what modification did you need to do to the action homer ?

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Homer » 19 Jan 2019, 8:19 am

G'Day Fella's,

Bigrich, sorry mate ........... but "that stuff" is what I have worked out, and that I now keep to myself.

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Return to Gunsmithing