Air rifle scopes- what are you running?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Air rifle scopes- what are you running?

Post by Dossa456 » 15 Jan 2019, 6:02 pm

Was writing about an air rifle on another post, got me keen to get them out and have a bit of a plink.

thinking about getting a scope for the stoeger x10.
So the question is what scope are you running on your air rifle? Also what mounts?

Apologies if this has already been discussed previously I couldn’t find much. Plus scope tech is contstantly changing. Links to old discussions also appreciated
Cheer Dossa
Dossa456
Private
Private

-

Re: Air rifle scopes- what are you running?

Post by bladeracer » 15 Jan 2019, 7:44 pm

Dossa456 wrote:Was writing about an air rifle on another post, got me keen to get them out and have a bit of a plink.

thinking about getting a scope for the stoeger x10.
So the question is what scope are you running on your air rifle? Also what mounts?

Apologies if this has already been discussed previously I couldn’t find much. Plus scope tech is contstantly changing. Links to old discussions also appreciated
Cheer Dossa

I still don't believe it...but this one is holding up really well :-)
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Outdoor-Tactical-Telescope-4x20-Air-Rifle-Gun-Scope-Sight-Mounts-Portable/173281850656
I didn't pay anywhere near that price for mine though.
Attachments
eight-dollar scope.jpg
eight-dollar scope.jpg (19.57 KiB) Viewed 4934 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 15 Jan 2019, 8:03 pm

My Crosman came with a very cheap 4x32 scope which is garbage. I did find it online before for US$9 but can't find it now. Same as this Konus branded one, but mine is "branded" CP.
opplanet-konus-konusfire-4x32-riflescope-black-7350-ko-rs-konfir432-7350-main.jpg
opplanet-konus-konusfire-4x32-riflescope-black-7350-ko-rs-konfir432-7350-main.jpg (26.03 KiB) Viewed 4931 times

https://www.opticsplanet.com/konus-konusfire-4x32-riflescope.html

I dug a Chinese 6-24x40 Bushnell out and tried that. Gave me a much better sight picture, and a hold-over reticle, but I couldn't get it anywhere near to zero. Could just be a mount glitch. I was setting up to try a Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 when I thought why not try the cheap Chinese thing, it's not like I'll ever find any other use for it.

I've put close to 300 shots through the rifle with this scope and I'm actually pretty pleased with it. It'll do me just fine until I find something better.
I emailed Bushnell to ask if I can use one of my AR Optics 4.5-18x40's on a springer but they haven't responded yet.

I'm not going spend heaps on a scope for the air-rifle to shoot to maybe 30m, but I do want something a little more advanced than this one :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Dossa456 » 15 Jan 2019, 8:31 pm

$8 scope unreal-
Dossa456
Private
Private

-

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Jan 2019, 9:22 pm

Weihrauch scope on HW80.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bladeracer » 15 Jan 2019, 9:26 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Weihrauch scope on HW80.

Do they make the scopes or are they something else they put their brand on? Can't find prices for them online.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 15 Jan 2019, 9:34 pm

Dossa456 wrote:$8 scope unreal-

I know :-)
I''ll probably try the Redfield Revolution at some point as it's no good for any of my other rifles. I don't know if it's springer rated though.
Vortex scopes are springer rated and guaranteed if you don't mind throwing some coin at an air-rifle.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 16 Jan 2019, 6:38 am

Yeah I gotta try one!!
Just ordered one for $5.69. :lol: :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Jan 2019, 7:18 am

bladeracer wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Weihrauch scope on HW80.

Do they make the scopes or are they something else they put their brand on? Can't find prices for them online.

Someone else makes em - ie Tasco :thumbsup: Who coincidentally made a lot of different brand scopes for all and sundry who just wanted their name on a scope. :unknown:

They are extremely rare mate, very few were ever made :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Jan 2019, 7:22 am

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Terrence » 16 Jan 2019, 8:10 am

Use code PERK5 to get $5 off after 10am today
Terrence
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 16 Jan 2019, 4:23 pm

Daddybang wrote:

Yeah I gotta try one!!
Just ordered one for $5.69. :lol: :thumbsup: :drinks:

I'm sure I paid $4 for mine :-)
I was doing the usual of ordering some bits and pieces (probably scope rings or rails) and going through the sellers other listings for anything else of interest.
At the time Rose was experimenting with contour ripping the paddocks. I'd built a large aluminium triangle to sit the spirit level on to shoot levels across the paddocks, but it was a bit cumbersome and lacked precision, although probably near enough to be effective. I thought a cheap rifle scope on the level would give a much more precise elevation reading on the staff, which it did. But in the end we bought a laser level, so this has been floating around my office for a few years trying to find a purpose.

I'm really surprised not only that it works, but that it's still working after several hundred shots. I've heard of non-springer scopes failing after very few shots on springer rifles. Even the turrets work quite well.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 16 Jan 2019, 4:24 pm

Terrence wrote:Use code PERK5 to get $5 off after 10am today

What?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Terrence » 16 Jan 2019, 4:27 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Terrence wrote:Use code PERK5 to get $5 off after 10am today

What?

EBay discount code takes $5 off no minimum spend.
Terrence
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Dossa456 » 16 Jan 2019, 4:35 pm

Of the link bladeracer supplies? I can’t find the spot to put it in or do you have to commit to buy them add the code?
Cheers Dossa
Dossa456
Private
Private

-

Post by Dossa456 » 16 Jan 2019, 4:37 pm

Dunno why I’m trying to save $5 of an $8 scope haha why not.
Dossa456
Private
Private

-

Post by bladeracer » 17 Jan 2019, 3:48 pm

I hope they work for you guys as well as it's been working for me. Hate to think of all the money you've wasted if not!

I'd been sort of thinking a scope with holdover marks would be ideal due to the trajectory of subsonic 10gn pellets with BC's around .020 or less. But now that I'm getting the hang of the rifle I'm not sure it matters due to the extremely limited ranges involved. Out to about 30m it shoots remarkably flat.
A 30m zero is also zeroed around 18m, and only drops about 65mm by 50m. A 50m zero though puts it about 40mm high around 30m and 50mm low by 60m, but I think 30m is about as far as I'm willing to use this against birds. Shots longer than that I'll use the .22LR.

At the muzzle, this has the same energy as a CCI Std Velocity still has at 900m, and that is bugger all. I Googled and learned that a .177" pellet can break the skin at 290fps, and fully penetrate at 330fps - which is around 150m.

"A series of tests were conducted to determine the velocities necessary for lead air gun pellets (calibers .177 and .22) and caliber .38 lead bullets to perforate skin. Human lower extremities were used. Caliber .177 air gun pellets weighing 8.25 grains required a minimum velocity of 101 m/s (331 ft/s) to perforate skin. The energy per area of presentation ratio E/a was 1:86 m X kg/cm2. Caliber .22 air gun pellets weighing 16.5 grains needed a minimum velocity of 75 m/s (245 ft/s). The E/a was 1:3 m X kg/cm2. A round nose, caliber .38 lead bullet weighing 113 grains perforated skin at 58 m/s (191 ft/s). The E/a was 1.95 m X kg/cm2. These studies appear to indicate that lightweight projectiles need greater velocity to perforate skin than do larger caliber, heavier bullets." https://www.researchgate.net/publication/16022563_Minimal_Velocities_Necessary_for_Perforation_of_Skin_by_Air_Gun_Pellets_and_Bullets

Running some ballistics shows that the absolute furthest the pellet can travel, pointed sixty-degrees into the sky, is about 350m maximum. The cheaper pellets with BC's around .014 are barely good for 200m.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 17 Jan 2019, 4:02 pm

"Lower human extremities were used"!!!!!
The nicest way of saying"we were shooting each other in the arse" ive seen for a while!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
At the moment with the opens I don't shoot any further than 25m at toads etc and around 40m at a 100mm square post cap so it'll be interesting to see what I can achieve with the scope even if it doesn't last very long it'll give me an idea of whether I'll spend more on a better scope or just stick with opens? :unknown: :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 17 Jan 2019, 4:10 pm

Daddybang wrote:"Lower human extremities were used"!!!!!
The nicest way of saying"we were shooting each other in the arse" ive seen for a while!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
At the moment with the opens I don't shoot any further than 25m at toads etc and around 40m at a 100mm square post cap so it'll be interesting to see what I can achieve with the scope even if it doesn't last very long it'll give me an idea of whether I'll spend more on a better scope or just stick with opens? :unknown: :thumbsup: :drinks:

We used to do lots of similar testing with the nail guns on job sites :-)
Those 3" nails hurt! The 30mm FC nails are friendlier :-)

I'm already thinking to put iron sights on mine for some fun. But I'm struggling to make sense of Crosman's model numbers to find an exploded diagram.

I think it must be possible to remove the plastic shroud that encloses the entire barrel, but I can't work out how to, unless it's an interference fit.

Also getting some ideas from Joerg!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR8j61yxSQM
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Dossa456 » 17 Jan 2019, 4:20 pm

Have to agree with daddybang on this one.
Experimenting for $8 is great value.
I have a Sabre accent (I think) on an old 22 I don’t use and that is rated for springers - Think there are $60 scope, was no good on the 22 might give it a run on a springer and see some results. Too hot to go out for a hunt we’re I am ATM
Dossa456
Private
Private

-

Post by Dossa456 » 17 Jan 2019, 4:24 pm

Not sure how to quote yet on here but very useful information bladeracer.
Dossa456
Private
Private

-

Post by bladeracer » 17 Jan 2019, 4:38 pm

Dossa456 wrote:Not sure how to quote yet on here but very useful information bladeracer.

I also found this article about a young bloke in Yorkshire shot in the neck with an air-rifle, impacting the carotid artery and causing facial nerve damage.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2633272/
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Jan 2019, 1:46 am

bladeracer wrote:I emailed Bushnell to ask if I can use one of my AR Optics 4.5-18x40's on a springer but they haven't responded yet.

Response from Bushnell just now.
"The AR Optics line will not work on a springer air rifle. We recommend Trophy, Nitro or Forge."
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics