Shot suppliers

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Shot suppliers

Post by Gormanchov » 16 Jan 2019, 8:25 am

Morning all,

Starting to look at reloading my own shotshells and the limiting factor for cost seems to be the supply of shot.

Does anyone in Australia sell reclaimed shot? Or does someone have a source that they are willing to share?

I’ll more than likely try and get my hands on a MEC sizemaster for the press and initially this will be reloading for clays so nothing extreme yet.
Gormanchov
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Shot suppliers

Post by Gaznazdiak » 16 Jan 2019, 11:12 am

fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 16 Jan 2019, 3:48 pm

Gormanchov wrote:Morning all,

Starting to look at reloading my own shotshells and the limiting factor for cost seems to be the supply of shot.

Does anyone in Australia sell reclaimed shot? Or does someone have a source that they are willing to share?

I’ll more than likely try and get my hands on a MEC sizemaster for the press and initially this will be reloading for clays so nothing extreme yet.

I think the limiting factor with loading shotshells is the low price of factory ammo.
Rebelgunworks do shot, but you're looking at around $9 per kg (25c per ounce).
There is a place in Melbourne that apparently does sell reclaimed shot, but I don't know who they are offhand, I could find out though. I know of another place but they only sell it by the tonne for $3500.
If I were shooting at home I'd be looking to recycle my own shot by investing in a lot of shadecloth.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Jan 2019, 5:58 pm

As people have pointed out on AHN it's not worth your while mate, and certainly not worth worrying about reclaimed shot, way too time consuming and isn't really cost effective, not with the prices of factory stuff anyway.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigpete » 16 Jan 2019, 6:54 pm

Stix had a supplier of reclaimed shot.
It may not be cost effective but it is fun. I like to load my own. It's really quite an easy process
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 16 Jan 2019, 7:16 pm

Thanks Pete... :thumbsup:

Hey Gormanchov... :)

I know of a couple of sources down here...however one is scratchy... (meaning when & if he decides he wants to get some to sell--& it is only #9's from a skeet field)...

The other will only sell me #7's if i shoot with them, which i dont & i wont... (unless ofcourse you're willing to pay my fuel & membership fees :D =not affordable or viable option).

Plus, with you being in the land that produces so much sun that it would fade the curtains if you had daylight savings time, ...by the time it was shipped up to you, i imagine it would cost considerably more than buying a box of 250 rnds... :D

My experience is that the guys that get hold of it at reasonable prices that make it viable (even then only barely) are usually the "in the groove secret squirrel crowd" in the shotgun clubs that shoot every meet...
Get in with them & youll be carting pounds of lead shot home & putting it back out on the range it got picked up from... :thumbsup:

PS...i do have some here in recycled #9's i got for someone who i believe is happy for me to get rid of it....if interested PM me.& its yours for what it cost... :)

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Jan 2019, 8:05 pm

Did you ever pattern it sticks to see how it shoots
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by hunting99 » 16 Jan 2019, 8:50 pm

You can make it. That’s how I get mine.

http://www.4GP.ME/ebtc/1547635604695.jpg
hunting99
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Stix » 16 Jan 2019, 8:56 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Did you ever pattern it sticks to see how it shoots

Nope...
Id imagine the gun would have more influence on pattern than the shot... :unknown:

It looks ok...its not all deformed...

Plus...im shooting the factory win target stuff on the odd occasion i let loose on feral pigeons atm...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 16 Jan 2019, 10:40 pm

I bought 10 kilo of #4 shot today at the local lgs for $69, I thought that was ok :unknown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Jan 2019, 2:46 pm

marksman wrote:I bought 10 kilo of #4 shot today at the local lgs for $69, I thought that was ok :unknown:

That's a great price, and no shipping.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 17 Jan 2019, 4:24 pm

Being 4's, i asssume you're knocking up field loads for them marksman...
Out of cusiosity have you worked out the approx cost/25rns...?
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 17 Jan 2019, 7:08 pm

Stix wrote:Being 4's, i asssume you're knocking up field loads for them marksman...
Out of cusiosity have you worked out the approx cost/25rns...?

usually 1 1/2 oz field loads Stix :thumbsup: I haven't ever worked out the cost to make it worthwhile, it's just something I have always done :unknown:

there is a place I may be able to recommend for buying shot
www.yellowpages.com.au/vic/laverton-nor ... sting.html
I know they used to sell it but I have not had the need to buy bulk for a while so have not been in touch, may be worth a ring :unknown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition