Procedure for brand new brass

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Procedure for brand new brass

Post by Stix » 18 Jan 2019, 3:22 pm

marksman wrote:
Stix wrote:If one already has a standard FL die, is it worth buying just the collet die on its own, or in a set...?
It seems they have 2 sets available...
A 2 die set with collet & seater...
& a 4 die set with collet, seater, FL & crimp die...
Is it also worth getting the crimp die to experiment with...?
Or just collet die alone...?

(They done have collet die alone in stock--damit...!!)

I usually buy the 4 die set but if I already had a fld I would think about going the other way
also I do believe in using the crimp die (a light crimp) for cases that I use the collet die, especially if there is a big jump to the lands for the projectile
when crimping I do it so you can only just see the crimp
I also believe that when not neck turning to use a lee collet die, a wilson seater and a light crimp for very consistent reloads, for runout under 1 thou
it's what I have found works anyway and I've bought a heap of sh!t over the years to try and get the most out of my reloads
it will always still come down to (famous last words) bullets, barrels and bumnuts :drinks:

Thanks marksman...
Now to decide... $100 for the 4 die set & get it in a week...
Or $65 for the collet & crimp die & wait a month for them to come in the country...

I already have redding 3 die set & Forster micro seater...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 18 Jan 2019, 6:00 pm

You don't need anything apart from the collet die, you have no need for the others. Use the Forster die for seating. Measure a loaded round and use the collet die to size the neck two thou smaller. If you have not neck turned your brass you may find some cases do not have enough tension to hold the pill.

You can use these cases to set up the neck turning lathe, give them the slightest touch and then turn the rest so they are all the same thickness.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 18 Jan 2019, 7:18 pm

SCJ429 wrote:You don't need anything apart from the collet die, you have no need for the others. Use the Forster die for seating. Measure a loaded round and use the collet die to size the neck two thou smaller. If you have not neck turned your brass you may find some cases do not have enough tension to hold the pill.

You can use these cases to set up the neck turning lathe, give them the slightest touch and then turn the rest so they are all the same thickness.

Thanks SCJ.
With regard to some of these cases that may not have enough tension to hold the bullet...
Is this literal...? (For example will i be able to pull the bullet with fingers...?)
Or will it just not have enough tension to give any decent pressure...?
(I guess ill find out when i get it).

I am tempted however to get the crimp die...ive never used one before, & at just $25 its a cheap price to pay to experiment with once i get the collet die sorted & working correctly.

(Suppose i should check online to see if i can get them cheaper... :unknown: )
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Jan 2019, 7:57 pm

Stix wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:You don't need anything apart from the collet die, you have no need for the others. Use the Forster die for seating. Measure a loaded round and use the collet die to size the neck two thou smaller. If you have not neck turned your brass you may find some cases do not have enough tension to hold the pill.

Thanks SCJ.
With regard to some of these cases that may not have enough tension to hold the bullet...
Is this literal...? (For example will i be able to pull the bullet with fingers...?)
Or will it just not have enough tension to give any decent pressure...?
(I guess ill find out when i get it).

I am tempted however to get the crimp die...ive never used one before, & at just $25 its a cheap price to pay to experiment with once i get the collet die sorted & working correctly.

(Suppose i should check online to see if i can get them cheaper... :unknown: )

Literal - sometimes there’s not enough tension to hold the pill in position resulting in the pill being easy to bump back into the case.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by SCJ429 » 18 Jan 2019, 8:14 pm

That is correct, the pill will fall into the case because the case is thinner than the others. You need to neck turn to the thinnest case. Then adjust the collect die to put two thou less than a loaded now neck turned case.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by NAHMINT II » 20 Jan 2019, 5:49 pm

LAPUA and NORMA as stated above is without a doubt, #1 brass... us poor old buggers on pension shoot what we can afford.....I debur flash hole,campher inside and outside of neck after full length resizing.....then check o.a.l........we have critters that bite back here on the island....wolves,mountain lion and big bears....
we can hunt bear in spring and fall,but lots of us hunt wolves and the big cats for 10 months a year..... ammo feeding properly is not something one wants to worry about,. unless I am hunting with someone,i leave the semi automatic rifles at home....again,no worrying about FAILURE to feed.
cheers glenno / NAHMINT II
NAHMINT II
Recruit
Recruit

Canada

Post by Rod_outbak » 21 Jan 2019, 6:12 am

[quote="NAHMINT II"]
LAPUA and NORMA as stated above is without a doubt, #1 brass... us poor old buggers on pension shoot what we can afford.....I debur flash hole,campher inside and outside of neck after full length resizing.....then check o.a.l........we have critters that bite back here on the island....wolves,mountain lion and big bears....
we can hunt bear in spring and fall,but lots of us hunt wolves and the big cats for 10 months a year..... ammo feeding properly is not something one wants to worry about,. unless I am hunting with someone,i leave the semi automatic rifles at home....again,no worrying about FAILURE to feed.
cheers glenno / NAHMINT II
[/quote]

"we have critters that bite back here on the island....wolves,mountain lion and big bears...."

???

You dont think we have biteys here in Australia??

Havent you heard of Drop-Bears??
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 21 Jan 2019, 7:26 am

:lol: Bwahaha yeah those drop bears are savage little buggars eh. :lol: :lol:
JimTom
Second Lieutenant