Selling and buying pelts??

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Selling and buying pelts??

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 18 Jan 2019, 9:02 pm

Mate that is simple economics... supply and demand... when supply increases prices go down.... plus they fight tooth and nail to stay in parliament... anyone seen the fatto billionaire Clive... he's started last year
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Baitlayer » 20 Jan 2019, 4:19 pm

When I was tying flies for a shop in Tassie a few years back I used to shoot ,skin and tan feral cat skins for use in trout flies(there is a well known pattern called the Cat Fur Fly).Took a whole black skin to the club one night and by the time everybody got a piece,went home empty handed.Lucky I had another at home.Given what shops charge for fly tying material,would a market to investigate.Cat fur is a great material for this use and converting cat to a nice tasty rainbow makes sense to me.Keeps the greens happy too because I'm removing two imported species from the wild.(like i actually care what they think!)
Skins are relatively easy to prepare and one pelt produces a lot of flies!
Baitlayer
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Stix » 20 Jan 2019, 11:08 pm

Thats weird...the last cat i threw in a river didnt catch a trout...it just caught a fear of me & shotguns... :unknown:

Just kidding...

Thats interesting to know baitlayer...thats going in the memory bank :thumbsup:
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by gordicans » 05 Jul 2019, 3:33 pm

I helped put myself through Armidale Uni in the 1970's selling fox skins to a shop in Sydney. Used to get paid pretty good money for them too. I recall one day walking down to the local railway station for the trip into town carrying a large bag stuffed full of fox skins. I could hear some sort of weird noise close behind me and looked around and to my surprise there would've been more than 20 dogs (in the days when suburban dogs roamed freely) following close behind sniffing and carrying on in a state of high excitement lol
gordicans
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by DavidThorn » 13 Sep 2021, 1:58 pm

@Stix, how's this hobby going for you? 2.5 yrs later and I'm wondering the same things... seems like I know a fair few people throw away pelts or have salted/dressed the odd one out of fascination but everyone I know seems to give up on this as a waste of time. I don't like the idea of farming animals for fur, but seems like if I want a fur jacket (and damn, when gets cold I do) buying something made from farmed animals is my only realistic option. Disappointing considering the scale of the feral rabbit and fox infestation in rural Vic...
DavidThorn
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 14 Sep 2021, 1:49 pm

DavidThorn wrote:@Stix, how's this hobby going for you? 2.5 yrs later and I'm wondering the same things... seems like I know a fair few people throw away pelts or have salted/dressed the odd one out of fascination but everyone I know seems to give up on this as a waste of time. I don't like the idea of farming animals for fur, but seems like if I want a fur jacket (and damn, when gets cold I do) buying something made from farmed animals is my only realistic option. Disappointing considering the scale of the feral rabbit and fox infestation in rural Vic...

You could make your own jacket.

I made very good money out of foxes as a kid as well, nowadays I don't even bother chasing the bounties, though I do keep any really nice pelts.
No rabbits down my way for a few years now :-(
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Sep 2021, 1:56 pm

Lol I shot one couple of days ago. 1st for ages. The dog loves me again.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bah! » 14 Sep 2021, 2:38 pm

bladeracer wrote: I made very good money out of foxes as a kid as well, nowadays I don't even bother chasing the bounties, though I do keep any really nice pelts.
No rabbits down my way for a few years now :-(

Seen a few billies that would make a nice rug but only if you can get the smell out. Maybe a deer?

The rabbits crept back in here while I was busy elsewhere with goats.
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Larry » 15 Sep 2021, 8:26 am

I have sent a few of my cattle skins off to be tanned. They are a bit too big of a project for me to do at home. They came out really well and have held up for several years on the floor as a rug in front of the fire.
GREENHALGH TANNERY
PTY. LTD.

856 GREENHALGHS RD
BUNKERS HILL
VICTORIA 3352
AUSTRALIA
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bah! » 15 Sep 2021, 8:37 am

Yeah someone local had a speckle park steer done and it came up great. I have one steer that loves to jump fences, could happen to him.
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Previous

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control