Summer 'tech layers' for motorbike riding around town

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Summer 'tech layers' for motorbike riding around town

Post by Lorgar » 18 Jan 2019, 1:22 pm

G'day all,

I've recently found my way to this kind of thing...

https://www.alpinestars.com/products/ro ... mer-ls-top

And they do a pant as well.

I live in Melbourne, our summers are hot of course, and I wear ATGATT.

I gather they are really intended for a track full suit; I'm wearing a leather jacket with all the usual armor inserts, pants with shin/knee armor, and calf high boots, so basically in one anyway.

Anyone experienced with these tech layers? How much benefit do we think there is in wearing them while riding around town, or out for a weekend cruise etc.

I'm not worried at all about fashion, appearance, blah blah blah. Just the cooling/comfort benefits.

Cheers,
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: Summer 'tech layers' for motorbike riding around town

Post by Wombat » 18 Jan 2019, 10:02 pm

Try a thin long sleeved merino top under your jacket first - something like this (but not as expensive) - https://wildernesswear.com.au/mens-ther ... -s-top-865
I find they make things more comfortable in summer.
Last edited by Wombat on 18 Jan 2019, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 18 Jan 2019, 10:03 pm

Its good gear - wicks away moisture, but it is still very warm with a leather jacket. If you wear a T shirt under your leather jacket - dont expect that this will somehow cool you down any more...the best thing about these units is allowing to slip on / off race suits without damp/wet/sweaty skin that sticks to the inside of the leather.
If you ever see someone half in and half out of a race suit, looking like they are having an epileptic fit - they are not wearing this type of under garment lol.
Perforated 3mm light leather(roo suits are excellent but cost 3 x more than cows - go figure!) is a blessing in summer as are openable zips on chests but you need to be moving to take advantage...black, 4.5mm full armour dainese race suits and similar - are heat exhaustion death suits at every red light...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Lorgar » 19 Jan 2019, 2:31 pm

Wombat wrote:Try a thin long sleeved merino top under your jacket first

Will look into the options, cheers.

TassieTiger wrote:If you wear a T shirt under your leather jacket - dont expect that this will somehow cool you down any more...the best thing about these units is allowing to slip on / off race suits without damp/wet/sweaty skin that sticks to the inside of the leather.

Now looking to wear it with t-shirt as well. This would be my 'riding shirt'.

Like I said, I'm not fussed about appearance or style etc. If I end up stopping on a ride somewhere for a drink or whatever and am 'the guy in the weird shirt' I don't give a rats ass if it's working to cool me down :lol:

TassieTiger wrote:black, 4.5mm full armour dainese race suits and similar - are heat exhaustion death suits at every red light...

Oh, I am aware! :lol:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by BBJ » 20 Jan 2019, 11:17 am

Lorgar wrote:Like I said, I'm not fussed about appearance or style etc. If I end up stopping on a ride somewhere for a drink or whatever and am 'the guy in the weird shirt' I don't give a rats ass if it's working to cool me down :lol:

No one will think you're weird sitting there in your Red Power Rangers outfit :D
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Lorgar » 22 Jan 2019, 12:31 pm

Wombat wrote:Try a thin long sleeved merino top under your jacket first

As fate would have it, I've just been gifted some merino base layer leggings.

So there we go, I can give them a spin next ride and see what's what :thumbsup:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 28 Feb 2019, 12:57 pm

Bit of an update to this... I ended up getting one of the Alpine Stars long sleeve top layers like the original link.

I've done a few weeks of riding in it now, including a few 36c days, a few 2 hour trips.

Very happy with it, makes a solid difference under the leather jacket compared to a regular t-shirt.

I'm definitely still warm in it, warmer in some spots than without it I will say, but I'd describe it as warm all over and dry, instead of being hot in a few acute spots and sweaty/stick in places.

A much better compromise on a hot day in the leathers IMO.

The wicking away moisture definitely helps with the evaporative cooling effect, too, by getting it into more places that the breeze can get to.

Giving it the thumbs up.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel