Does brass brand affect accuracy?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Does brass brand affect accuracy?

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 18 Jan 2019, 10:05 pm

A bloke told me he gets better accuracy from remington brass in his 223.
Hes not anal about his prep, just full length size, trim and deburr if needed.

I notice you gents are always talking about pros and cons of different brass, what brass you love and hate.
But will different brands give you different accuracy?
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Does brass brand affect accuracy?

Post by bladeracer » 18 Jan 2019, 10:19 pm

Kelsey Cooter wrote:A bloke told me he gets better accuracy from remington brass in his 223.
Hes not anal about his prep, just full length size, trim and deburr if needed.

I notice you gents are always talking about pros and cons of different brass, what brass you love and hate.
But will different brands give you different accuracy?

It can, particularly at long ranges. At closer hunting ranges you can probably ignore it, unless you're running near pressure limits.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Rod_outbak » 19 Jan 2019, 7:53 am

MY thoughts:

1). My idea of accuracy centres around consistency; the more uniform I can produce my reloads, the more likely I can place them on the same spot repeatedly. Once I'm hitting the same spot, I can then dial the scope in to put them where I want them.

2). There isnt much brass that cant be 'massaged' into being decent brass(**), but the better brands (Lapua, Norma, Sako etc) tend to require less work to have them as uniform as possible. I also find the better quality brass varies a lot less when I weigh them.
I COULD be imagining this, but I find the Lapua brass especially, to be better 'finished'(??) than much of the cheaper stuff. When I say 'finished', I mean less sharp edges, and no rough spots on them at all.
Some of my most long-lasting .308 brass has turned out to be some Highland (PPU) brass, which needed a lot of trimming and chamfering to get right, but seems to have lasted really well.

3). Having the brass batched by brand, helps me ensure I'm producing the most consistent ammo I can. Part of my QC process, I weigh the loaded cartridges, and different brands weigh different. Even different batches of the same brand (as in different number of reloads) will produce different weights over time.
So, having my brass batched by brand (at least) and each particular batch kept together for their useful life (my preference) has been handy in ensuring the most consistent loads I can.

I dont load for target work; if I did, I would be more anal about my case prep than I am now.
However, I expect I am more anal than most hunters for my case-prep, but I also know my ammo is consistent enough for me to know that pokking things out beyond 400 metres isnt a waste of my effort.
When I was younger, I was convinced that accurately pokking things beyond~150 metres was the work of the 'Dark Arts', and beyond the skills of us mere mortals. The past 8 years has taught me that I was simply a freaking poor 'magic' student back then...

(**) I've had bad results from Remington 7mm-08 brass that I bought new about 3 years ago. Damn stuff has failed by the third reload, and yet I have Federal brass that is only showing occasional failures on it's 6th reload.

My 2 cents..
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 19 Jan 2019, 8:15 am

Every single competition Benchrest shooter will be using Lapua brass. This speaks volumes. That is not to say with some basic prep that you cannot get some excellent results like Rod explained. I shot under 1/4 inch with 204 Hornady brass which is not known for its consistency

Back in the eighties Remington made some of the best brass around, any manufacture can do it. It comes down to the amount of Q&A you build into the process. I like ADI for cheap brass, it is at least as good as any other American made brass. The two world leaders are Lapua and Norma who make brass for other brands such as Sako and Tikka.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by NAHMINT II » 20 Jan 2019, 5:34 pm

Unless you are shooting a competition rifle that can take advantage of every possible fraction of an inch of accuracy,like weighing and c.c ing each case, turning necks, flash hole reaming then using competition projectiles, its a lot of work for nout !!! in my 6.5 x58, several .30-06 and .300 win mag....I shoot Winchester,remington and Hornady brass.not a fan of Federal.....seeing how much water (C.C.) each case holds,there is almost no differeace between brands...for hunting or target/plinking.....you will find all shoot just fine.
in reloading for over 50 years of my 60+ year hunting career,this is what I have found......
I do a fair amount of revolver target shooting in 38special.... in that calibre,i like FEDERAL NON PLATED BRASS..in 44 and 45 colt, Winchester,remington and federal
all are equal in the accuracy department.
NAHMINT II
Recruit
Recruit

Canada

Post by southeast varmiter » 20 Jan 2019, 5:40 pm

To answer your question in one sentence. Yes. Case volume varies within cheap brass brands creating different pressures (muzzle velocity) with same load and projectiles.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 20 Jan 2019, 6:35 pm

Mate I did an experiment a while back between Lapua and ADI brass in my .308.
I couldn’t tell the difference however some cases have thicker walls then others and physics will say that it will change the pressure, albeit ever so slightly.
There may be extreme examples of this between cheap and expensive brass I guess.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 20 Jan 2019, 8:28 pm

Mix up your cases for a group and watch your ES go to hell. I like to use cheap cases when I go hunting because I have been known to loose a few but they all do better after some prep work.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bruiser64 » 20 Jan 2019, 11:41 pm

I think you will find that a lot of things beyond brass brands also affect accuracy. Here is a link to a series of articles that go into a lot of depth about ballistics.

http://appliedballisticsllc.com/ballist ... /articles/

As you will see it is a complex area. Particularly if you are interested in the tightest groups at very long range. How particular you want to be depends upon what your goals are. I am generally shooting Roos, rabbits and foxes under a spotlight at ranges of 150 metres or less. My accuracy demands are not the same as a long range competition bench rest shooter.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 21 Jan 2019, 4:43 am

Bought some 260 brass recently - 100x lapua and 100x Remington.
Lapua was $200 vs $79 for Remington.
To look at - night and day differences...the Remington is a basic, almost dirty brass, the lapua is a thing of beauty, precision, almost jewel like.

The measurements of the lapua are all within silly tolerances, the Remington + or - 1mm...

The lapua brass is annealed, Remington is not.

Primer pockets are uniform across lapua whilst I found brass swarf hanging internally from some Remington primer holes.

The lapua leading edge has a slight bevel ready for projectile acceptance whilst some of the remingtons could be used to cut really small cookies lol.

On this occasion, in my exp at least (and not always being the case), I’ve Gotten what I paid for.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 21 Jan 2019, 5:20 am

TassieTiger wrote:The lapua brass is annealed, Remington is not.

Although possible this is unlikely. You;ll find that Remington simply polish out the annealing colouring - the brass is annealed.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 21 Jan 2019, 6:35 am

Once Remington was bought out by the Freedom Group their quality went in the crapper. It's a company barely holding on right now. I find their 9mm is the only brass I have issues with.

I would like to see a scientific test done to see if things like flash hole uniforming and neck turning actually make any difference.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by TassieTiger » 21 Jan 2019, 8:00 am

bladeracer wrote:

Although possible this is unlikely. You;ll find that Remington simply polish out the annealing colouring - the brass is annealed.

Really ? The way the rem brass came out of the packet, it was pretty ratty...certainly not polished...I would have thought they'd like to advertise the annealing if it was there...?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 21 Jan 2019, 8:41 am

TassieTiger wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Really ? The way the rem brass came out of the packet, it was pretty ratty...certainly not polished...I would have thought they'd like to advertise the annealing if it was there...?

It all has to be annealed or it wouldn't hold a bullet. Most companies polish the brass after annealing for aesthetics, some prefer to leave the annealing visible, like Norma.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bruiser64 » 21 Jan 2019, 10:28 am

I found this video very interesting. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g2FrV4T6OTE

He has a number of short introductory videos on a range of long range shooting topics. Clearly the take away is developing a consistent load is important. In answer to the original post, it would appear that for long range shooting consistency is AN important component of long range precision. Use of a quality, precision chronograph to check the muzzle velocity of your handloads would appear to be necessary, otherwise you are just guessing. The reason being errors or inconsistency will be magnified as the range increases.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 21 Jan 2019, 11:26 am

Bruiser64 wrote:I found this video very interesting. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g2FrV4T6OTE

He has a number of short introductory videos on a range of long range shooting topics. Clearly the take away is developing a consistent load is important. In answer to the original post, it would appear that for long range shooting consistency is AN important component of long range precision. Use of a quality, precision chronograph to check the muzzle velocity of your handloads would appear to be necessary, otherwise you are just guessing. The reason being errors or inconsistency will be magnified as the range increases.

When you say the inconsistencys will be magnified as range increases, are you just talking about the fact moa increases in measurement, or will the group size in moa actually increase, for example from say half moa to 1.5 moa
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 21 Jan 2019, 12:49 pm

anyone who says that brass is brass just the price is different is kidding themselves period :thumbsdown:
before you decide if you are wasting your time by investing in quality brass you have to have a benchmark of what you expect from it
if you are happy with 1 moa plus at 100 yards then go for the cheaper stuff, you probably only shoot chest shots that far max anyway :unknown:
but if you want precision at range you will invest at minimum your time and effort into making the cases as consistent and straight as you can
there is a reason that precision shooters use lapua and dont worry I rate some other brands bought cheaper as good once match prepped and sorted
if you really want to know if someone gives good advise look at his targets
a gong shooter does not need the precision a group shooter does :drinks: pick a benchmark then work towards getting it consistently :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by marksman » 21 Jan 2019, 12:55 pm

Kelsey Cooter wrote:
Bruiser64 wrote:I found this video very interesting. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g2FrV4T6OTE

When you say the inconsistencys will be magnified as range increases, are you just talking about the fact moa increases in measurement, or will the group size in moa actually increase, for example from say half moa to 1.5 moa

the inconsistencys will be magnified as range increases :thumbsup:
eg.. shooting lower because of increased volume in the case so less pressure would mean more way drop sooner as range increases,
its not just your group would would enlarge as distance increases :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Blutius Maximus » 21 Jan 2019, 3:35 pm

marksman wrote:
there is a reason that precision shooters use lapua

Yeah, for my chosen caliber, the very popular 308, a certain gun shop every now and again does the Lapua at a very good price and it's a no brainer to buy the stuff if I have some other things to get to spread the freight.
It really doesn't work out that expensive over the life of the cartridges.

I think my last lot of Lapua brass was cheaper than some of the other brands locally.
Blutius Maximus
Private
Private

-

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 21 Jan 2019, 4:20 pm

marksman wrote:anyone who says that brass is brass just the price is different is kidding themselves period :thumbsdown:

there is a reason that precision shooters use lapua and dont worry I rate some other brands bought cheaper as good once match prepped and sorted

Do you still need to match prep and sort lapua?
What are the other brands you rate?
Where does adi brass sit in terms of quality?
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 21 Jan 2019, 4:21 pm

:lol: I feel like I have a never ending list of questions when it comes to reloading :lol:
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 21 Jan 2019, 5:06 pm

My opinion:-

Kesley, are you planning to shooting targets with them, or hunting?

Lapua brass is some of the best you can buy; nicely finished and VERY consistent.
Very rare you need to do much (if anything) to Lapua brass to be ready to load it.
[AND: you get a really handy box with every 100 rounds!]

Norma brass seems to be much the same as far as quality as the Lapua(Though often harder to find at times).
[And they just come in a plastic bag...]

ADI/OSA brass seems to be not too far behind; consistent and well-finished.
Mightnt be quite as finished as Lapua, but pretty darn close, and usually available.
When I'm weighing completed/reloaded OSA/ADI .223 brass cartridges, they rarely vary in total weight by more than a few grains.
[Which I find freaking astounding, considering the variances in powder, projectiles, etc]

Winchester, Hornady(##), Remington(**) and Federal(!!) brass are all decent enough, but require a lot more prep work to remove sharp edges, trim to the same length, etc etc.. After a bit more initial prep work, these cases seem to come up fairly consistently (Plenty good enough for hunting), but I find they have a higher failure rate, and you never seem to get them quite as finished as the Lapua brass.
As others have touched upon; I found Remington brass to be quick to tarnish, and not anywhere near as finished, even in the factory cartridges. I bought about 200 150Gn Express cartridges for the .308 about 6 years ago, and I've bought about 200 factory 80Gn SP cartridges for the .243, and they dont seem to finish the cases as well as other manufacturers. I'm currently working through a tin of .243 OSA 87Gn V-Max cartridges, and that brass is much better finished than the loaded Remingtons.

(##) The Hornady 165(?)gn match ammo that I bought early on for the first .308 (~2012) all had crimped primers. Bit of a bugger getting them out. The brass prepped up fine once I got the old primers out, and tidied up the primer pockets. Factory ammo that is expected to go into a gas gun like an AR, will often have crimped primers.

(!!) The Federal 55gn SP .223 ammo I bought July 2018 had crimped primers as well; likely for a gas gun. Once the primer pockets were reamed and prepped, the cases seem to have come up fine, but I am yet to load them.

(**) - I had 100 new Remington 7mm-08 brass that prepped up perfectly, and failed after 2nd loading, as about 30% had primer pockets that couldnt hold a primer any more (drop out). I had ~300 Federal and Winchester brass that I was running in the 7mm-08 that is onto it's 6th loading, and failures are still below 5%. That Federal brass had a reputation for being prone to splitting cases, and whilst I've had the odd one, I havent lost 5% in 6 reloadings.

And FINALLY: The Highland brass. This stuff has needed the most of my case prep on the first reload; I found the cases to be all over the shop in length, needed the primer pockets uniformed, and there were quite a few that I simply wasnt happy with, and binned. However, given I started with a couple of hundred, I think I ended up with about 180 cases that have been reloaded about 7 times in the .308 so far, and have proven to be really reliable brass. I do note that of all of my .308 brass, this stuff varies the most in loaded weight. I'm yet to have one fail from old age(case separation etc), though, whereas some of the younger Federal brass has failed after the 5th loading. And it retains it's luster a LOT longer than the Remington brass.

Thats my experience to date.
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 21 Jan 2019, 5:23 pm

I don't actually shoot competition's or go to a range or anything but targets at home, and hunting/culling. my howa 223 shoots 3/4 moa out to around 250m with osa factory rounds, and I've just started reloading with super roos, with 25.4gr of 2208 I've got them shooting 20mm groups at 100m, but would like to get that tighter.

I also use the osa brass to load 80gr MK for my wifes ruger precision, I've got it shooting a 5shot group 12mm@100m but then when I go out to 300 its around 70 or 80mm groups. (I know theres a large list of variables that could be causing this)

I've got around 600 osa .223 brass from buying a ammo tin a few years ago.

I've just started reloading 308 with ppu brass, don't have alot of it so thinking of buying new brass in the near future, hence why I'm looking at brands
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 21 Jan 2019, 5:46 pm

If you can afford it, the Lapua or the Norma will require the least amount of prep/checking.

The PPU (Highland / NNY) brass will work just fine, but needs a bit more work to get it tidied up.

I'm working through loading up another few hundred .223 OSA cartridges for our Howa 1500. I have about 400 cases prepped, and 100 of them primed, but today has turned out to be a bust in getting them loaded up. Spent a few hours cleaning all the dust out of the Howa; overseer sheepishly admits he hadnt realised how much dust the 4-wheeler throws around when you are carrying a rifle on a sling. I've got to go to town tomorrow morning, but I hope I'll get another 100 loaded up tomorrow night.
We are using 24.5gns of Benchmark 2 behind a 55gn Z-Max pill. Sighting the rifle in for the overseer in late September, I was grouping ~18mm @100 metres.
I didnt bother going past that; we'd need to upgrade the scope and do a few other things to get much better.
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 22 Jan 2019, 12:12 pm

Kelsey Cooter wrote:
marksman wrote:anyone who says that brass is brass just the price is different is kidding themselves period :thumbsdown:

I would say you at least need to check with any cases, I do match prep everything, lapua/norma included, OCD really bad at times :lol:
I rate the adi cases highly although I have heard others bag them,
they are thicker than some but like everything it needs to be looked at as an individual thing and not assumed that it will be the same as something else
with a good tight chamber I have had really good results with winchester cases (you dont want case bulge) and use ppu with good results

Rod's info is very informative :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 22 Jan 2019, 12:38 pm

marksman wrote:
Kelsey Cooter wrote:

I would say you at least need to check with any cases, I do match prep everything, lapua/norma included, OCD really bad at times :lol:
I rate the adi cases highly although I have heard others bag them,
they are thicker than some but like everything it needs to be looked at as an individual thing and not assumed that it will be the same as something else
with a good tight chamber I have had really good results with winchester cases (you dont want case bulge) and use ppu with good results

Rod's info is very informative :drinks:

Ok good to know. I havent yet got the lyman case prep kit I intend on buying but will grab it in the near future. (I got distracted and bought another pistol instead)

Could you give me a quick run down on everything you do when you match prep your cases?
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Jan 2019, 1:12 pm

I would say quality brass is more important from a precision target shooting standpoint, but for general hunting it's a waste of time and money, same goes for all that case prep work where it's really not going to make any real difference in real hunting situations where distances aren't measured, time to take a shot can be just a second or two, often there's no real quality rest options at hand, not time to get your breathing right, stuff around worrying about wind etc, it's more spot something, check to make sure there's nothing behind the target that may be an issue and if all ok get the aim right and send it on it's way!

So if you think it's going to make for a better outcome in a hunting situation you are kidding yourself big time.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by in2anity » 22 Jan 2019, 1:39 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I would say quality brass is more important from a precision target shooting standpoint, but for general hunting it's a waste of time and money, same goes for all that case prep work where it's really not going to make any real difference in real hunting situations where distances aren't measured, time to take a shot can be just a second or two, often there's no real quality rest options at hand, not time to get your breathing right, stuff around worrying about wind etc, it's more spot something, check to make sure there's nothing behind the target that may be an issue and if all ok get the aim right and send it on it's way!

So if you think it's going to make for a better outcome in a hunting situation you are kidding yourself big time.

I've been wanting to say this also BF - and lets emphasise the word "precision" here. Many forms of target shooting do not required such attention to detail. Sure this discussion may be applicable to "holden-jack" F-class and benchrest target, but outside of these two disciplines, these sorts of performance gains are totally insignificant. Even for high-class fullbore target shooting these sorts of performance gains are insignificant - error stems almost entirely from the shooter and changing windage. In the unsupported target shooting world, I've seen shooters with the crappiest gear and slap-dash handloads beat the most expensive space-guns and ammo. Very satisfying knowing how levelled the playing field is when you take away all the shooting aids .

Let's be clear here that I'm not judging people for wanting to pursue perfection here; to each to their own. Science is interesting. I'm just agreeing that in practical real-world conditions, such detail is almost completely irrelevant.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 22 Jan 2019, 2:36 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I would say quality brass is more important from a precision target shooting standpoint, but for general hunting it's a waste of time and money, same goes for all that case prep work where it's really not going to make any real difference in real hunting situations where distances aren't measured, time to take a shot can be just a second or two, often there's no real quality rest options at hand, not time to get your breathing right, stuff around worrying about wind etc, it's more spot something, check to make sure there's nothing behind the target that may be an issue and if all ok get the aim right and send it on it's way!

Don't get me wrong I absolutely agree. The most important shots for me are when I'm culling roos. But I control those shots by only shooting once I'm within 150m or so and close enough where a headshot is as good as guarantee'd successful.

It's just a case of I find reloading and chasing accuracy is getting rather addictive, the science and variables are interesting and I want to learn and improve my groups purely for the fun of it.
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 22 Jan 2019, 3:57 pm

before you decide if you are wasting your time by investing in quality brass you have to have a benchmark of what you expect from it
if you are happy with 1 moa plus at 100 yards then go for the cheaper stuff, you probably only shoot chest shots that far max anyway :unknown:
but if you want precision at range you will invest at minimum your time and effort into making the cases as consistent and straight as you can
if you really want to know if someone gives good advise look at his targets
a gong shooter does not need the precision a group shooter does :drinks: pick a benchmark then work towards getting it consistently :thumbsup:

I will put it up again :drinks:

so if your benchmark is not tiny little groups at distance good on you :lol:
but really there is benefit for working your brass,
we know that because people who say it's not necessary for hunting do say it does benefit competition benchrest :unknown:
there is benefit in taking measures to remove as many variations that we can :drinks: even just for hunting animals :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition