Powerbeam roof mount handles

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Powerbeam roof mount handles

Post by Blr243 » 19 Jan 2019, 1:00 pm

On my old lightforce unit the handle had a ball joint in it that I could quickly lock by turning a knurled ring So when shooting solo I could count on the light not moving when having two hands on my rifle. I have just bought a new powerbeam and I hesitated on buying the roof mount handle because the salesman could not conform if the powerbeam system also has a position quick lock. Can anybody here confirm if their delux model has a quick posi lock ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Powerbeam roof mount handles

Post by marksman » 19 Jan 2019, 1:14 pm

I have one of the older power beam roof mounted deluxe folding remote handles through my roof and your description of how you could quickly lock by turning a knurled ring So when shooting solo I could count on the light not moving when having two hands on my rifle is exactly how I can with my power beam handle
I'm pretty sure the only design change they have since mine is the handle grip is a red ergonomic type now :unknown:
this is what mine looks like www.motackle.com.au/powa-beam-deluxe-fo ... edium.html
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Jon79 » 19 Jan 2019, 1:51 pm

yes they do
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Roo farmer » 19 Jan 2019, 3:27 pm

Their locking system is similar to the Lightforce. Neither of them are much good.

Have the locking ring loose while searching. See a roo. Stop driving. Use two hands to lock the light in position, one for holding the handle and the other to turn the locking ring. Pick up rifle. Aim up. Oh dear, the roo jumped off a couple of seconds ago.

Or, have the locking ring loose while searching. See a roo. Use one hand to lock the ring while the other is still holding on to the steering wheel while you are stopping. Because you let go of the handle to turn the locking ring, the light is now not pointing at the roo. Turn the handle to find the roo. Depending on which way you turn the handle, this either tightens the lock to jam it solid or loosens it so that you are back to square one. By now you are stopped so you can now use two hands to lock the light in position. Pick up rifle. Aim up. Oh dear, the roo jumped off several seconds ago.

Or, leave the locking ring up firm enough so that the light can swivel but stays where you leave it and tighten the lock nut ring against the adjustment ring to keep it in position. Work like this until you get a sore wrist from turning the stiff handle, which will be about half an hour. Then go back to the methods mentioned earlier.

Also frustrating is when it comes loose while searching, so that when you do want to lock it, you have to turn the locking ring several turns.

Surely it wouldn't be too difficult for a manufacturer to come up with some sort of quick locking mechanism that you can engage with one hand, the hand that you have on the handle. Sort of like a Vice Grips type lock. Am I the only one in Australia who isn't happy? Saving a couple of seconds makes a huge difference.
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 19 Jan 2019, 3:59 pm

Thanks for the replies. No u are not the only one who is unsatisfied. A couple of yrs back wen I was doin a stack of shooting from my quad I rigged up a string and pully system that went from the locking ring down to a foot pedal So as I was putting along with my left hand on the spotty and the right hand on the handlebars/ throttle it was a lot easier. With the spotty aimed at the target I just had to push my foot down on the pedal and my light was instantly held in the right position. Then it was both hands on the rifle as quick as I could before the target started to think about vacating the scene My rifle sat forward pointing in a safe cradle and was always ready to get into shooting position. I made my own perfect height 180 degree rests. And the best of all ..........No bloody windscreen
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 19 Jan 2019, 5:01 pm

I think the locking ring on the lightforce is a pain...but its not going to change in a hurry unless one of us pours a heap of cash into O/S trips & a fair bit of research...

It took me about 2 years to bed mine in--i had to drive around with the setting just past tight enough to hold the light in position when you let go & psych myself through the cramp...that took 6-8 months to get the stamina in the wrist.
Eventually it seemed to wear in & all the settings were perfect...everything stayed put when i let go & got no cramp, so i was happy for about 6 spotlighting jaunts (for me thats probably 12-18ish nights).

Then the light started just blacking out for no apparent reason...after 10 months of it randomly blacking out it did it as i was about to shoot a cat..then i lost 2 foxes due to random blackouts. :evil: :evil: :evil: ...so that was it...!!!!!
Took it back to get checked & left my basically brand new unmarked red filter on it.. .(i try to look after my light--ive seen the ones that dont get looked after & they are bad...i even keep my filters in the plastic pack they came & pack the light in amongst all my bedding when i travel).

When i picked it up the report was something to the effect of 'left in turned on for 10 mins, shook the light & no fault found'... :unknown:

Went out to test it only to find all my bolts/nuts were loose, everything flopped around so i had to go back home, & go out in paddocks over all different terrain (flats, hill etc) with spanners & screw driver to get all the angles back as they were, except that...
...one of the suction rubbers had somehow been torn :roll: :clap: so it wouldn't stay on the roof...(sigh)...
...after putting new connectors on it, when i plugged it in & turned it on, it blacked out immediately... :roll:
...and the face of that brand new red filter i left on...?...well the first thing i noticed when i collected it was that it looks like it got towed behind a truck down a dirt road for a mile ffs... :unknown: :evil:

I dont know what they did to the light, but its pretty clear to me that my as new light got thrown around pretty roughly...i really couldnt believe they would treat peoples gear like that :shock: ...i managed to get the rubber changed for nothing but i refused the offer of leaving the light there again.

So no Roofarmer, you're not the only unhappy one...although im happy they didnt screw me for the rubber suction cap... :)

But, my experience tells me that there may well be a sweet tension spot for that locking nut, & if you find it, just nip it up that little touch further, leave it there & it will eventually bed in & become comfortable.
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 19 Jan 2019, 6:43 pm

Do your self a favor and use a Powerbeam light and a nightforce remote you will then have the best of both
worlds
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Jon79 » 20 Jan 2019, 7:26 am

Or just do what I do... I search with the power beam and when I find something I use this on my rifle then no worries if the animal moves

https://www.olightstore.com.au/olight-m ... gLTn_D_BwE
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 20 Jan 2019, 8:23 am

Jon79 I think it might have been u that recommend the Olight once before. I purchased one based on your suggestion and found it to be extremely powerful for its size. Not tested it in the scrub yet
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Jon79 » 20 Jan 2019, 8:40 am

could have been mate, bloody handy things when shooting alone..... other thing you could do is take the kids (if you have them) they can hold the spotlight, fetch what you shoot...and do the gates lol
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Roo farmer » 20 Jan 2019, 9:22 pm

deye243 wrote:Do your self a favor and use a Powerbeam light and a nightforce remote you will then have the best of both
worlds

Could you please give us a link for the Nightforce remote? I can't find them on the internet anywhere?
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 20 Jan 2019, 10:07 pm

deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Roo farmer » 21 Jan 2019, 6:19 am

Oh righto, I thought you meant that there was a Nightforce handle.

A Lightforce handle is not the best of any world.
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 21 Jan 2019, 12:03 pm

They are a lot better than a Powerbeam
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bruiser64 » 21 Jan 2019, 5:40 pm

This concept could be worth considering. Possibly using a dash mounted joystick. Don’t know how robust this specific item would be though.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by marksman » 22 Jan 2019, 10:16 am

just put a hole in the roof and be done with it :unknown: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Roo farmer » 22 Jan 2019, 9:08 pm

deye243 wrote:They are a lot better than a Powerbeam

Tell us how?
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 23 Jan 2019, 1:29 am

The metal Knurled collar never stays done up snug and the bloody thing comes lose every 4 to 5 minutes I have had lightforce for 8 years and never had a problem with it and I and a couple off mates have these bloody things now and all agree it was a mistake changing , their light is better than a lightforce but their remote sucks ....

https://youtu.be/zGjIrCh38ec
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control