Rubicon and Upper Big River State Forests?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Rubicon and Upper Big River State Forests?

Post by booomr » 16 Jan 2019, 10:58 pm

Hi guys! Pretty new to hunting (did a heap of clay targets, ducks and spotlighting as a kid out near Horsham) and State Forests in general (though plenty of 4x4 experience in them). I've been heading into a few of the local forests to me (Mernda, VIC) like Mt Disappointment, Toolangi and Tallarook, but haven't had the greatest success there, so I've started to look a bit further out and east from me, and came across Rubicon State Forest and Upper Big River state forests, but couldn't find a heap of info about them.

Is anyone familiar with these forests? Anybody had much luck out there? And what can I expect to find?
Howa 1500 .223 Varmint
Dickinson T1000 12g Synthetic 28"
Bergara B14 Ridge .308 in McMillan TACA3
booomr
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Rubicon and Upper Big River State Forests?

Post by LDP » 18 Jan 2019, 8:32 pm

Hey mate

Big river state forest is a great camping destination, just look in detail at the maps and which campsite you want to go to. There is a lot of people around so the hunting isn’t the best. I crossed the river and walked into some very deep scrub and saw two deer run away from us in a hurry. We found their wallow but saw no real sign apart from that
LDP
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by booomr » 19 Jan 2019, 8:24 pm

Thanks, LDP.

Thinking I might just pack up the swag one night when the minister of war and finance is working nights and go out there for a walk around. Any suggestions on which site?
Howa 1500 .223 Varmint
Dickinson T1000 12g Synthetic 28"
Bergara B14 Ridge .308 in McMillan TACA3
booomr
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 19 Jan 2019, 9:23 pm

Go for a look there are deer there and its a short trip but the area used to get flogged 20 years ago when I first hunted it so Im sure its worse today, but there are more deer around. You would have to work pretty hard for them and this time of year that would probably mean sitting and waiting because of heat/noise/snakes.
Good luck.
Bigjobss

Post by LDP » 20 Jan 2019, 2:51 pm

Bigjobss wrote:Go for a look there are deer there and its a short trip but the area used to get flogged 20 years ago when I first hunted it so Im sure its worse today, but there are more deer around. You would have to work pretty hard for them and this time of year that would probably mean sitting and waiting because of heat/noise/snakes.
Good luck.

My mate was walking backwards talking to me and stepped on a snake up there. I’ve never moved so fast in my life
LDP
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Jan 2019, 7:15 pm

Bigjobss wrote:Go for a look there are deer there and its a short trip but the area used to get flogged 20 years ago when I first hunted it so Im sure its worse today, but there are more deer around. You would have to work pretty hard for them and this time of year that would probably mean sitting and waiting because of heat/noise/snakes.
Good luck.

+1
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey