Suction Cup Roof Spotties

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Suction Cup Roof Spotties

Post by xDom » 19 Jan 2019, 4:21 pm

Gday,

Has anyone had experience with the suction mount roof spotties out there? The ones I'm looking at have 3 cups.
I've heard reports that they fall off?
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Suction Cup Roof Spotties

Post by Rod_outbak » 20 Jan 2019, 11:58 am

They do fall off; over time.

When we were using the 2-cup Lightforce units, we would wipe the roof down with a damp cloth, and then rub a small amount of vegetable oil onto the cups. That used to have them lock down pretty well, but within a few times, they started to let go regularly.
You want to make sure the rubber/neopreme cups are kept clean, and put away between uses, so they dont perish or get damaged.

I ended up making up a mounting that is permanently bolted to the backboard on the tray, and then have frames that hinge from those mounts.
It takes around 5 minutes to set both frames up, and that gives me a spotlight handle hanging outside each window on the ute, and the lights sitting just above/beside the cab roof.
When I get some time later in the year, I want to re-design the whole mounting setup. I want a heavier hinge, and a lighter frame, so there is less flex in the frame as it hangs forward. Also considering some sort of setup that allows us to fold them back out of the way to drive at speed between spotlighting.
[I refuse to drill a hole in my roof, and I dont shoot for a living, so this sort of setup is the way I'm going.]
Tempted to customise a roof-rack assembly to suit....Hmm.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 20 Jan 2019, 12:02 pm

I refuse to not drill a hole in my roof. The joy of useing a hilux work Ute to go bush I use suction cups to carry glass. Dirt is their enemy
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Bent Arrow » 20 Jan 2019, 12:22 pm

I made a bracket that extends out past my roof rack that my spot light handle fits too. The spot light handle is on a hinge so I can easily flip it up out of the way to open/close the car door. Given I only spotlight a handful of times a year, I couldn't bring myself to cut a hole in the roof of my hilux
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Stix » 20 Jan 2019, 2:33 pm

There are 4 choices...

1) Hole through the roof...

2) Suction cups...

3) a roof rack/bar to strap the unit to like BentArrow has done ...

4) Roof rack & suction cups & straps for added security...

I have all of the above, & recently had to resort to tying my bar to the roof rack with fencing wire due to failed suction cup...thats now rectified.

My front roof rack is a little further rear than is comfortable, so i prefer the suction cups for ease of attachment/removal...however the time will no doubt come where ill make up a bracket just like BentArrow.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 20 Jan 2019, 5:07 pm

Another option are light mount that sit inside the car’s window frame. These are held in place utilising a gas strut. I use a Racken Rest to which is attached the optional light bracket. My brother-in-law has the Lightforce window mounted bracket. I believe Powabeam also had their own version. I am very pleased with my setup. I have also seen the Lightforce bracket in action and it works well too.

Lightforce do a roof mounting bracket where one is a suction cup and the other is a magnet.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by xDom » 27 Jan 2019, 5:39 pm

I've been thinking that instead of the suction cups, I'm gonna attach a bracket onto my roof racks and mount a folding remote handle setup onto it.
There seems to be two brands, Powa Beam and Max Lume.
Anyone got any opinions on either of these? Cheers.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Jan 2019, 7:20 pm

Magnetic mounts are the go - those lightforce suction ones are a PITA they keep letting go - been there done that mistake.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control