357 load for rossi 92

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: 357 load for rossi 92

Post by in2anity » 20 Jan 2019, 12:14 pm

bigrich wrote:So what powder do people use with 357 ? I tried ar2205 in my marlin today , did a like for like swap with the Rossi , I need a scope . Anyway, 158 gn hornady xtp with 15 & 15.5 gn and cci 400 primers didn’t get fantastic accuracy. 15gn equaled s&b factory loads. So , next decision, try different powder or projectiles. Any ideas anyone ? Hunting is a consideration with the loads

Cheers

Got any AP70N?
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 20 Jan 2019, 12:23 pm

in2anity wrote:
bigrich wrote:So what powder do people use with 357 ? I tried ar2205 in my marlin today , did a like for like swap with the Rossi , I need a scope . Anyway, 158 gn hornady xtp with 15 & 15.5 gn and cci 400 primers didn’t get fantastic accuracy. 15gn equaled s&b factory loads. So , next decision, try different powder or projectiles. Any ideas anyone ? Hunting is a consideration with the loads

Cheers

Got any AP70N?

no i don't mate. i'll have to try to make a educated guess on what powder is going to work for me and buy some. win 296 seems popular . have you had good results with ap70n ? what primers would you use ? bear in mind i do want to load some warm/hot hunting loads

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 20 Jan 2019, 1:21 pm

bigrich wrote:no i don't mate. i'll have to try to make a educated guess on what powder is going to work for me and buy some. win 296 seems popular . have you had good results with ap70n ? what primers would you use ? bear in mind i do want to load some warm/hot hunting loads
:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:

I just use cheap winnie primers actually - i've only had one hang and one miss out of thousands of shots. It's all about economy for me when I'm shooting pistol cartridges. You could use any of the pistol powders really, but considering the length of barrel, it's better on the slower side of the pistol area. Isn't W296 very similar to AR2205? Any of the pistol powders will work - just stay in the listed areas as they are all spikey. lilgun will give you some impressive speeds for hunting.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition