Gun safe in shipping container?

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Gun safe in shipping container?

Post by Jdt96 » 20 Jan 2019, 5:08 pm

Hey guys does anyone know the laws on having a gun safe in a shipping container? Trying to save space in the house. I genuinely think the container is more secure then the house anyway. You can’t break a window on a shipping container.
Jdt96
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Gun safe in shipping container?

Post by JimTom » 20 Jan 2019, 5:14 pm

Mate I am not sure of the storage laws regarding a shipping container, however I was thinking will the internal temperature of the container be an issue in summer. Maybe a consideration in addition to the laws depending on where you live mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JSS » 20 Jan 2019, 5:54 pm

As long as you lock the shipping container (as your safe needs to be in a secure area) and bolt the safe to it like you would in your house you are perfectly legal.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Roo farmer » 20 Jan 2019, 9:14 pm

JimTom wrote:Mate I am not sure of the storage laws regarding a shipping container, however I was thinking will the internal temperature of the container be an issue in summer. Maybe a consideration in addition to the laws depending on where you live mate.

I specifically asked this question to a gun shop owner. He told me that for gun storage, the hotter the better. Helps prevent condensation and associated rust issues. They keep their guns in one out the back of their shop. When you think about it, guns get to Australia in shipping containers, so keeping them in one should be fine. This is obviously a weather proof container with no leaks.
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 21 Jan 2019, 5:11 am

Roo farmer wrote:
JimTom wrote:Mate I am not sure of the storage laws regarding a shipping container, however I was thinking will the internal temperature of the container be an issue in summer. Maybe a consideration in addition to the laws depending on where you live mate.

I specifically asked this question to a gun shop owner. He told me that for gun storage, the hotter the better. Helps prevent condensation and associated rust issues. They keep their guns in one out the back of their shop. When you think about it, guns get to Australia in shipping containers, so keeping them in one should be fine. This is obviously a weather proof container with no leaks.

Yep fair enough, can’t argue with that.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 21 Jan 2019, 6:27 am

The NSW law specifies that the safe must be in a substantial building. Bananaland laws are probably the same as they were supposed to be uniform nationally you know!
Recently the definition of 'substantial building' was tested in court and the outcome I understand was to the effect, if the building is council approved via a DA (or it is a dwelling house) then it is a substantial building. Anything else is left to the 'safe storage' inspection officer to determine.
Happy to be corrected if I have got it wrong.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 21 Jan 2019, 6:51 am

I know someone who is indeed using a shipping container, and he has installed safes inside the container. This is in NSW.
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by deanp100 » 21 Jan 2019, 7:01 am

I am in qld and use a container as the safe. Guns are in racks in the container and have survived a safe inspection. The refs even use the word “ container” and to anyone in the shipping business that only means one thing. They are perfect and way more secure than a safe. They do get warm and I worry about the guns but have used it for years without an issue. The qld laws wording lends itself perfectly to a container .
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blutius Maximus » 21 Jan 2019, 3:37 pm

It gets pretty humid in QLD. Do you guys do anything extra for that, or just make sure you have a nice thin coat of oil on everything?
Blutius Maximus
Private
Private

-

Post by deanp100 » 21 Jan 2019, 4:34 pm

I keep them well oiled, as I would anywhere. The guns get hot and the oil thins and drips off but a layer always remains. I don’t have any special humidity problems. They get hot enough that you can barely hold them, but never had an issue.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 21 Jan 2019, 8:06 pm

Is a shipping container secure because of one heavy duty padlock ? And if so a cordless angle grinder with a thin disc has the door open in less than thirty seconds I would still bolt the safe to the floor of the container
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Jan 2019, 8:40 pm

Roo farmer wrote:

My mate has about 8 safes in his shipping container and he had a lot of orange tinged looking Sakos a while back :silent: He also has a big arse block of concrete attached to a chain which is burried in the ground under the shipping container to help prevent anyone coming along and putting said shipping container on the back of a truck and driving off. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by deanp100 » 21 Jan 2019, 9:12 pm

Blr243 wrote:Is a shipping container secure because of one heavy duty padlock ? And if so a cordless angle grinder with a thin disc has the door open in less than thirty seconds I would still bolt the safe to the floor of the container

Everyone always says the same thing about getting into a container quickly, yet. They buy a thin cheap safe and put it in a Gyprock room and think they are secure. No-one is secure but a container with a lock box is a damn sight harder to penetrate than a Chinese safe.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Jan 2019, 7:25 am

deanp100 wrote:
Blr243 wrote:Is a shipping container secure because of one heavy duty padlock ? And if so a cordless angle grinder with a thin disc has the door open in less than thirty seconds I would still bolt the safe to the floor of the container

Everyone always says the same thing about getting into a container quickly, yet. They buy a thin cheap safe and put it in a Gyprock room and think they are secure. No-one is secure but a container with a lock box is a damn sight harder to penetrate than a Chinese safe.

It doesn't take much to cut a hole in the side of a shipping container either and if anyone thinks their firearms or anything else for that matter is safe because it's locked away they are dreaming, I'm sure someone holding something to a love ones throat will soon see anything unlocked! :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Return to Queensland gun laws