Genuine Need on a pta

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Genuine Need on a pta

Post by Blr243 » 22 Jan 2019, 1:11 pm

I only have one rifle 243. I want to buy my dads smle 303 and his bolt action 22 magnum ....... in the genuine need section of the pta I was going to say that I needed a more economical rifle ror target practice 22 mag. And for the 303 I was going to say that I want to start competing in the military rifle comps Does anyone here have any experience in relation to filling out the pta forms in the interest of a successful application ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Genuine Need on a pta

Post by Stix » 22 Jan 2019, 1:19 pm

Give minimal info...!!!
You dont want to use up all your reasons for "genuine need" on one pta...

Military rifle comps is a good one...assuming your a member of a club that does it...or at least a member of a club...!

Just put something like "for use in military comps, target shooting & hunting"...
That way when approved you can use it for everything...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gaznazdiak » 22 Jan 2019, 1:23 pm

Mate, I haven't, but the best advice I can offer is make it something you can back up.

I would rather lose the opportunity of getting the guns than try to be too creative on a legal document bearing my signature.

Just something to bear in mind.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by deanp100 » 22 Jan 2019, 2:37 pm

I have filled out two in the last couple of days and there was no space for discussion. There was a drop box to choose either recreational shooting( hunting) or sports shooting . I just chose recreational both times.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 22 Jan 2019, 3:25 pm

deanp100 wrote:I have filled out two in the last couple of days and there was no space for discussion. There was a drop box to choose either recreational shooting( hunting) or sports shooting . I just chose recreational both times.

For Qld., what reason do you have designated for your licence?. If you are SSAA, it's usually Recreational (RE) and SC1/2 (club target etc). In fact, I have just completed a on-line PTA application and there was no request for "genuine reason". Maybe because it was only for (another) rimfire :lol:
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 22 Jan 2019, 3:49 pm

No1_49er wrote:
deanp100 wrote:I have filled out two in the last couple of days and there was no space for discussion. There was a drop box to choose either recreational shooting( hunting) or sports shooting . I just chose recreational both times.

For Qld., what reason do you have designated for your licence?. If you are SSAA, it's usually Recreational (RE) and SC1/2 (club target etc). In fact, I have just completed a on-line PTA application and there was no request for "genuine reason". Maybe because it was only for (another) rimfire :lol:

I have both, but I am just pointing out that you just tick a box, we don’t need to tell them too much. We used to have to answer questions as to why the purpose could not be fulfilled by an existing weapon, but that has disappeared as well. I like the improved simplicity.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 22 Jan 2019, 6:04 pm

From my experience - IF you put club, comp, similar - then they will demand evidence to support that...if you put hunting appropriate vermin, and you already have a hunting reason - then you can do what ever...go try a Comp later if you like.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by No1_49er » 22 Jan 2019, 7:10 pm

TassieTiger wrote:From my experience - IF you put club, comp, similar - then they will demand evidence to support that...if you put hunting appropriate vermin, and you already have a hunting reason - then you can do what ever...go try a Comp later if you like.

I don't know about Tassie, but up here in Qld. you just tick the box. On-line got things a whole lot better.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by ZXRR » 23 Jan 2019, 12:59 pm

Seems Queensland is always very tough, past 5 PTA's all i ever did was write Hunting/Target shooting on all of them. I have a hunting license and a hunting on crown land permit so i guess they cant complain.

I use my guns even military rifles for both purposes anyhow.
ZXRR
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Faedy » 24 Jan 2019, 12:03 am

In WA most of us say vermin control and recreation = zero restrictions unless you have multiples of each cal, then you have to be creative...
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Queensland gun laws