Does brass brand affect accuracy?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Does brass brand affect accuracy?

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Jan 2019, 3:59 pm

Kelsey Cooter wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:I would say quality brass is more important from a precision target shooting standpoint, but for general hunting it's a waste of time and money, same goes for all that case prep work where it's really not going to make any real difference in real hunting situations where distances aren't measured, time to take a shot can be just a second or two, often there's no real quality rest options at hand, not time to get your breathing right, stuff around worrying about wind etc, it's more spot something, check to make sure there's nothing behind the target that may be an issue and if all ok get the aim right and send it on it's way!

So if you think it's going to make for a better outcome in a hunting situation you are kidding yourself big time.

Don't get me wrong I absolutely agree. The most important shots for me are when I'm culling roos. But I control those shots by only shooting once I'm within 150m or so and close enough where a headshot is as good as guarantee'd successful.

It's just a case of I find reloading and chasing accuracy is getting rather addictive, the science and variables are interesting and I want to learn and improve my groups purely for the fun of it.

That's fair enough Kelsey, if you enjoy doing it go right ahead and do it but I don't think it will make much difference in the real world of shooting roos, well unless you have something that's flatout hitting a basketball at say 100m then by all means try and improve it so it can get the job done.

I have stuffed around with neck turning, primer pocket reaming etc etc and honestly it made no real difference to how well the rifle shot in the field in hunting type situations, I know it does make a difference shooting tiny groups so worthwhile doing if you want to be competitive but honestly to me it's a waste of time for general hunting duties. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by TassieTiger » 22 Jan 2019, 6:01 pm

[\quote] It's just a case of I find reloading and chasing accuracy is getting rather addictive, the science and variables are interesting and I want to learn and improve my groups purely for the fun of it.[/quote]

Ohhhh Kelsey mate...maaaattteeeee!!!!
Welcome to the dark side. I’m sorry. Lol.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by SCJ429 » 22 Jan 2019, 6:20 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
So if you think it's going to make for a better outcome in a hunting situation you are kidding yourself big time.

One thing that cannot be argued is that an accurate rifle and ammo is detrimental to a hunting outcome.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 22 Jan 2019, 6:39 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:The lapua brass is annealed, Remington is not.

Although possible this is unlikely. You;ll find that Remington simply polish out the annealing colouring - the brass is annealed.

Really ? The way the rem brass came out of the packet, it was pretty ratty...certainly not polished...I would have thought they'd like to advertise the annealing if it was there...?

All brass is anealed :crazy: or you would not be able to seat a pill as the case mouth would be as hard as the head ... :lol:
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Stix » 22 Jan 2019, 7:38 pm

I find when it comes to hunting its about confidence...confidence in knowing where your shot is going to land...

If case prepping is your thing, followed by shooting tighter groups & slowly extending your ranges for humane killing in the field gives you confidence...go forth & prep...

It also depends on what you call hunting...
Smashing mobs of goats under 50 yds, or long range varminting...
Personally i want to pop heads of bunnies (at what i call) long range--240-300 yds & possibly further...

I follow as many steps as i have the equipment to do so as to (try) eliminate as manyl errors & inconsistancies as possible...(within reason)
I know its placebo to a point, especially with factory non-bedded rifles, but i figure if all the guys that can comfortably & consistantly lob groups into half MOA at 600 yds all swear by the prep & brass quality, then im in...

I figure its all good learning & practise for the time i get the ideal varmint cartridge custom chambered...

Having said that, an 3/4 inch grouping factory rifle operated by an experienced rabbit shooter/roo culler should hit a bunny's head at 200 in a 5mph wind, & a fox's chest at 250, & therefor anything closer so a little brass dag hanging off the flash hole probably doesnt make the difference if just after a knockdown in that scenario...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 22 Jan 2019, 7:56 pm

deye243 wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:The lapua brass is annealed, Remington is not.

Although possible this is unlikely. You;ll find that Remington simply polish out the annealing colouring - the brass is annealed.

Really ? The way the rem brass came out of the packet, it was pretty ratty...certainly not polished...I would have thought they'd like to advertise the annealing if it was there...?

All brass is anealed :crazy: or you would not be able to seat a pill as the case mouth would be as hard as the head ... :lol:

I stand corrected...it certainly appear to my eye / feel that the lapua cases are more pliable but I can tell you what - I got some strange looks at my work when I was handing around an empty 260 lapua case followed by - “just take a look at this farken art here...”
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by SCJ429 » 22 Jan 2019, 8:38 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
I stand corrected...it certainly appear to my eye / feel that the lapua cases are more pliable but I can tell you what - I got some strange looks at my work when I was handing around an empty 260 lapua case followed by - “just take a look at this farken art here...”

I am with you Tassie, I love working with new or freshly annealed Lapua or Norma brass. Soft and easy to size, so much nicer than American stuff..
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bruiser64 » 22 Jan 2019, 11:20 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I would say quality brass is more important from a precision target shooting standpoint, but for general hunting it's a waste of time and money, same goes for all that case prep work where it's really not going to make any real difference in real hunting situations where distances aren't measured, time to take a shot can be just a second or two, often there's no real quality rest options at hand, not time to get your breathing right, stuff around worrying about wind etc, it's more spot something, check to make sure there's nothing behind the target that may be an issue and if all ok get the aim right and send it on it's way!

I agree totally Bigfella. It is horses for courses. I reload and I take care to be precise. I only do field shooting and try to keep my distances under about 200 metres. Under those circumstances pursuing the level of precision that a long range bench rest competitor pursues is pointless for what l do. My 204 handloads have enough accuracy to headshoot Roos and bowl over foxes. For me, I have hit the point of diminishing returns. I use different brands of brass (including Norma brass) and for the shooting I do there is no discernible difference in accuracy. I am very pragmatic, and time poor, so only want to spend the time necessary to meet my needs. To illustrate this point I give the example of a recent trip where I headshot six Roos from 6 shots and four foxes with five shots (I pulled the first shot with one of the foxes). More time spent at the reloading bench would not, in my view made any appreciable difference.

Having said that, it makes no difference to me how others choose to spend their free time. So whether matching brass will be worthwhile depends upon your shooting goals. Making sure your reloads are as close as possible in muzzle velocity is very important if shooting at long ranges as the difference in velocity will cause vertical stringing. For bench rest shooting you are shooting at known distances. This seldom happens when hunting. A flat shooting round is more of an aid to accuracy as you want to optimise your maximum point blank range.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Jan 2019, 7:39 am

SCJ429 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

One thing that cannot be argued is that an accurate rifle and ammo is detrimental to a hunting outcome.

True but it's only half of the equation, the other half depends on the driver and if the diver ain't up to the job it don't matter how accurate the rifle is hey. :drinks: I've seen rifles that shoot poorly on paper (groups) that are just fine in the paddock rolling pigs and deer etc, as I say its the first shot that counts and so long as that's close to the money the majority of the time it will get the money done even if it doesn't put em all in the one hole on paper.

Again I'm talking average hunting type situations not some 600m shot on a bunnies head where of course you will need something that's up to the job accuracy wise but for general hunting situations fancy brass and all the associated stuffing around isn't so important to get a good outcome.

I've proved that a ****** of times using crappy factory ammo let alone basic handloads using cheap brass and well used brass too (probably past their use by date but I keep using em until the primer pockets get too lose or necks split. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Jan 2019, 7:53 am

The other part to using good brass and going to all the trouble of turning necks, doing pockets etc etc if when you lose the bastards in the long grass and can't find em, that's a real piss off :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Jan 2019, 7:58 am

Bruiser64 wrote:

I agree totally Bigfella. It is horses for courses. I reload and I take care to be precise. I only do field shooting and try to keep my distances under about 200 metres. Under those circumstances pursuing the level of precision that a long range bench rest competitor pursues is pointless for what l do. My 204 handloads have enough accuracy to headshoot Roos and bowl over foxes. For me, I have hit the point of diminishing returns. I use different brands of brass (including Norma brass) and for the shooting I do there is no discernible difference in accuracy. I am very pragmatic, and time poor, so only want to spend the time necessary to meet my needs. To illustrate this point I give the example of a recent trip where I headshot six Roos from 6 shots and four foxes with five shots (I pulled the first shot with one of the foxes). More time spent at the reloading bench would not, in my view made any appreciable difference.

Having said that, it makes no difference to me how others choose to spend their free time. So whether matching brass will be worthwhile depends upon your shooting goals. Making sure your reloads are as close as possible in muzzle velocity is very important if shooting at long ranges as the difference in velocity will cause vertical stringing. For bench rest shooting you are shooting at known distances. This seldom happens when hunting. A flat shooting round is more of an aid to accuracy as you want to optimise your maximum point blank range.

Spot on Bruiser, I reckon a flat shooting cal is way more effective in a hunting situation than fluffing around with fancy brass and all that goes with it, trust me if I needed the fancy brass and associated fluffing around I would have it but so far so good with the cheaper stuff and no stuffing around which suits me down to the ground as I've got better things to do with my time and money. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Jan 2019, 8:10 am

Stix wrote:I find when it comes to hunting its about confidence...confidence in knowing where your shot is going to land...

If case prepping is your thing, followed by shooting tighter groups & slowly extending your ranges for humane killing in the field gives you confidence...go forth & prep...

It also depends on what you call hunting...
Smashing mobs of goats under 50 yds, or long range varminting...
Personally i want to pop heads of bunnies (at what i call) long range--240-300 yds & possibly further...

I follow as many steps as i have the equipment to do so as to (try) eliminate as manyl errors & inconsistancies as possible...(within reason)
I know its placebo to a point, especially with factory non-bedded rifles, but i figure if all the guys that can comfortably & consistantly lob groups into half MOA at 600 yds all swear by the prep & brass quality, then im in...

I figure its all good learning & practise for the time i get the ideal varmint cartridge custom chambered...

Having said that, an 3/4 inch grouping factory rifle operated by an experienced rabbit shooter/roo culler should hit a bunny's head at 200 in a 5mph wind, & a fox's chest at 250, & therefor anything closer so a little brass dag hanging off the flash hole probably doesnt make the difference if just after a knockdown in that scenario...

That's one of the reasons I love the 204 it will allow you to poke bunnies in the head at 250-300m+ with factory ammo (rem and fed used) in fact my reloads haven't been able to match the factory ammo on paper but in the paddock they have been able to get the same job done at the same sort of ranges.

And you are right Stix, if you enjoy doing it and it gives you more confidence in getting the job done why not do it. And I do think there may be some sort of Placebo effect to some degree in some people, but confidence in your gear is very important at the end of the day and if that requires all the stuffing around then go for it (I used to be the same back in the day) these days I realise for my needs it's really not necessary to get the job done, it may be necessary for others and that's fine, do what makes you happy hey :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by in2anity » 23 Jan 2019, 8:28 am

bigfellascott wrote:That's one of the reasons I love the 204 it will allow you to poke bunnies in the head at 250-300m+ with factory ammo (rem and fed used) in fact my reloads haven't been able to match the factory ammo on paper but in the paddock they have been able to get the same job done at the same sort of ranges.

And you are right Stix, if you enjoy doing it and it gives you more confidence in getting the job done why not do it. And I do think there may be some sort of Placebo effect to some degree in some people, but confidence in your gear is very important at the end of the day and if that requires all the stuffing around then go for it (I used to be the same back in the day) these days I realise for my needs it's really not necessary to get the job done, it may be necessary for others and that's fine, do what makes you happy hey :drinks:

I know an exceptionally experienced hunter who says the 204 is the perfect calibre.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Jan 2019, 9:43 am

in2anity wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:That's one of the reasons I love the 204 it will allow you to poke bunnies in the head at 250-300m+ with factory ammo (rem and fed used) in fact my reloads haven't been able to match the factory ammo on paper but in the paddock they have been able to get the same job done at the same sort of ranges.

I know an exceptionally experienced hunter who says the 204 is the perfect calibre.

It's definitely a very capable little cal no doubt about it. I've seen it used on deer to great effect along with all the usual smaller game, as with any small cal shot placement is key to getting the correct outcome and this little cal certainly makes it easy to be accurate no doubt about it. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Dunxy » 23 Jan 2019, 10:50 am

Ive only been loading about 12 months and for supreme (longe range) accuracy only 1 cartidge at the moment which is 6.5cm.I do load other stuff, but not chasing level of consistancy I desire from the 6.5cm, got my no4mk1 down to 1.8moa and was well happy with that.
Whole process is important because many things can affect case volume aside from the brand of brass, obviously if you start out with brass that has the most consistant volume you have a good head start.
I started with hornady and it performed well untill about 3 reloads when es opened up well out of single digits, still able to shoot 0.6moa at 100m but vertical stringing really affecting groups 400-1000m. I have full sized and trimmed 100pieces of this and its of with a mate of a mate getting annealed so we see what happens after that. Tried starline and wasnt impressed, ive gotten some Lap stuff but havent fireformed yet so to early too call but as far as consistancy goes, it is bloody amazing! Honestly sat on my reloading bench for a few weeks before i loaded it, almost too good to use!
Ive heard reports of Hornady out performing lap if you anneal it right from the get go, not something i knew at the time myself.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 23 Jan 2019, 11:24 am

the way this whole discussion has gone with the answers given it shows that the answer to the question "Does brass brand affect accuracy?" the answer is even by the people who don't see it necessary unless you are a benchrest shooter, is a non controversial YES :shock: brass brand affects accuracy
whether you invest in your brass cases or think its not essential it is proven by posts that it is true that brass brand does affect accuracy :drinks:

for the more accuracy minded here is a case prep guide from the Bankstown Chatswood rifle club for F class, not benchrest :thumbsup:
http://bankstown-chatswood.org.au/case_prep.html
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition