Buying from usedguns

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Buying from usedguns

Post by ZXRR » 23 Jan 2019, 4:04 pm

Has anyone else had a bad time putting up an ad looking for a rifle / item? I've put up two ads so far, and overall i feel very dissatisfied and it's definitely not worth the money (Depending on item i guess). All i get is emails from a bunch of daft people, who think because you want the item they will waste your time and try to over-charge you and make you believe a rifle like a M1903 is worth 5-6k even though you know better, and have collected rifles for some time now.

It's either those idiotic offers, or the usual "I've got that rifle" whats your offer, without sending details about the rifle or pictures. :thumbsdown:
ZXRR
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Buying from usedguns

Post by Ecobogan » 23 Jan 2019, 4:26 pm

I know what you mean mate! I looked at a number of radically priced 308's before finding a new Howa 1500 that was cheaper than 2nd hand.
Not sure if I should put the details of the shop here but it was outta Brissy and an awesome deal, cheap fast postage etc.
Pm me if you'd like their details or someone say if it's cool to recommend a dealer on the forum.
PS....ride a zxr do you? Had a '93 750 once
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by ZXRR » 23 Jan 2019, 4:32 pm

Ecobogan wrote:I know what you mean mate! I looked at a number of radically priced 308's before finding a new Howa 1500 that was cheaper than 2nd hand.
Not sure if I should put the details of the shop here but it was outta Brissy and an awesome deal, cheap fast postage etc.
Pm me if you'd like their details or someone say if it's cool to recommend a dealer on the forum.
PS....ride a zxr do you? Had a '93 750 once

Mind sending me a message of the shop? I've even tried buying a K98 on that web site, guess what.. some guy was trying to convince me a basic K98 rifle goes for a minimum of 4.5k - 5k, and he won't budge on the price. Got fed up at the point of people trying to swindle fellow gun owners and told him I'd report him to the cops for taking drugs.

Also that's an affirm to the ZXR, repping a ZX6R over here :D You know it's never too late to start riding again.
ZXRR
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 23 Jan 2019, 5:18 pm

Never had a problem buying from there, know your prices, ask for more pics if you have concerns and Caveat Emptor is your guiding philosophy. In more than a dozen firearms bought through that site only one shonky, and that from a high profile NSW dealer who didn't check condition of the breech before listing as "good operating condition", but a rare enough rifle that I didn't care too much, Cheers (from a Z1000 MkII owner)
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Ecobogan » 23 Jan 2019, 5:20 pm

Hahaha! People like that shouldn't abuse drugs, they've got feelings too. Very old joke, older than that ZXR I had.
Sure thing mate, they seem to wholesale from what I gathered so couldn't say for sure they'd have exactly what your after. No doubt they could prob get it in and had a 'can do' attitude.
I'd use them again.
If your down near the Dandenong ranges, read that on your other thread, the civil engineers would've had to have been all ex sportsbikers l reckon by the style of some of those corners!
We used to get into all sorts of healthy mischief through there.
I'm giving bike riding a wee break for a bit....bikes up for sale is the final call.
Got a supercharged SV1000 cafe racer that cost me so many arms n legs I'm pretty much just a body with a head. Nasty quick it is too...170hp 165kg ;)
Anyway all this talk ain't getting you a rifle so pm sent.
Take it easy n good luck
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by ZXRR » 23 Jan 2019, 5:49 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:Never had a problem buying from there, know your prices, ask for more pics if you have concerns and Caveat Emptor is your guiding philosophy. In more than a dozen firearms bought through that site only one shonky, and that from a high profile NSW dealer who didn't check condition of the breech before listing as "good operating condition", but a rare enough rifle that I didn't care too much, Cheers (from a Z1000 MkII owner)

Buying from ads already up on the site is fine, prices are generally retarded but it goes smooth. The problem arises when you post a 'Looking for" ad, that costs $25. You get nothing but complete and utter imbeciles messaging you, and doing as i mentioned up-top. It seems to attract the parasites of the firearm community.

Ecobogan wrote:Hahaha! People like that shouldn't abuse drugs, they've got feelings too. Very old joke, older than that ZXR I had.
Sure thing mate, they seem to wholesale from what I gathered so couldn't say for sure they'd have exactly what your after. No doubt they could prob get it in and had a 'can do' attitude.
I'd use them again.
If your down near the Dandenong ranges, read that on your other thread, the civil engineers would've had to have been all ex sportsbikers l reckon by the style of some of those corners!
We used to get into all sorts of healthy mischief through there.
I'm giving bike riding a wee break for a bit....bikes up for sale is the final call.
Got a supercharged SV1000 cafe racer that cost me so many arms n legs I'm pretty much just a body with a head. Nasty quick it is too...170hp 165kg ;)
Anyway all this talk ain't getting you a rifle so pm sent.
Take it easy n good luck

Sounds pretty good, I'll check it out but for some reason the Pm didn't come through :crazy: as for dandenong surprisingly i haven't been on the bike around that area (Only in a Ute so boooo), if you hop on the black spur you'll see me and my ZX6R shredding rubber around that area. Also i bet the bike absolutely pulls, especially being a V-TWIN.

The only SV I've ridden would be the 650, and it was thoroughly enjoyed.

*Edit, had to go in my email to view it, thanks again mate!
ZXRR
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Ecobogan » 23 Jan 2019, 6:41 pm

Sorry mate I should've read your post more carefully...you did state a wanted ad. I'm on my 3rd can of 101 turkey so the brain gets hasty.
Without hijacking this into a bike thread the black spur is the best thing to happen to this country I reckon... until they put cops up trees and busted everyone. Didn't prevent any accidents just made a lot of revenue.
The ZX-6R would be perfect through there too I'd think...tried Chum Creek Rd? Also good.
Yes the SV likes a good freeway power mono and will fry in 1st n 2nd.
But all the bikes I've owned combined wouldn't be worth what No1Mk3's Z1000 would fetch.
That's a very rare and tasty machine there mate, a friend had a nice one in the mid 90's and they were becoming hard to get even back then.
Have fun lads
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by ZXRR » 23 Jan 2019, 6:55 pm

Ecobogan wrote:Sorry mate I should've read your post more carefully...you did state a wanted ad. I'm on my 3rd can of 101 turkey so the brain gets hasty.
Without hijacking this into a bike thread the black spur is the best thing to happen to this country I reckon... until they put cops up trees and busted everyone. Didn't prevent any accidents just made a lot of revenue.
The ZX-6R would be perfect through there too I'd think...tried Chum Creek Rd? Also good.
Yes the SV likes a good freeway power mono and will fry in 1st n 2nd.
But all the bikes I've owned combined wouldn't be worth what No1Mk3's Z1000 would fetch.
That's a very rare and tasty machine there mate, a friend had a nice one in the mid 90's and they were becoming hard to get even back then.
Have fun lads

MMMM wild turkey, not bad at all mate. Pretty much spot on about the spur, they really ruined it with all the speed cameras. But every now and then it's a fun ride. ZX6R was bred for it, nimble, and so easy to lean it over, the acceleration and throttle response is literally spot on especially when you want to power out of a corner. But you know whats better? the sound of the inline 4 screaming around such an area and the echos bouncing off the walls.

https://youtu.be/RdhxrisKHTg?t=45

Not my video, I'm a law abiding citizen and follow the posted speed limits.
ZXRR
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 23 Jan 2019, 7:25 pm

A group of us head to Bright (vic) on bikes once every two years for two weeks of play in the area...
I’m still getting acquainted with my new KTM super duke GT and have retired the gix1000 to track duties. Some of our group can ride pretty hard, turbo busa’s, 1700cc B kings, diavels, etc - some of the ski mountains in vic have the most awesome rides up and down...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 23 Jan 2019, 8:02 pm

Blackspur and reefton spur. Plus the road to kinglake tolangi state forest... epic pieces of road. But I preferred in 4wd tin can. Lake mountain up and down is pretty good...I don't think they have any cops there.... but only one way so can get in trouble. As the caretakers report number plates and cops will then wait at the bottom. For bikes I hear Brodford tracy is pretty special... or haunted hills... but not sure I'd they do bikes on haunted hills.... haunted hills in I reckon is the best 40-60sec anyone in a car can do.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Ecobogan » 23 Jan 2019, 9:03 pm

Daymm...a Super Duke would probably have been a wiser way to spend my cash. The V4 Touno just came out as I was fully committed to the SV build. Both of those Euros would be short straight eating cornering poetry I'd imagine.
Mine is too but in a less refined or classy way, quite peaky for a V twin.
I bought the supercharger set up off a TL1000 race bike from the UK, at full boost he was getting 195rwhp...my dyno guy refused to boost it past 7psi, whimp. Told him I really don't care if it blows up just tell me what it'll do!! Nup...7 pounds.... whimp
The best mod by far though we're carbon fibre wheels....whips around like an R6.
SV1000's are sh@t bikes really, good motor, that luckily take gsxr everything else and the swingarm is the only virgin part. 20k build customs are good at only being worth 5k to sell too....um yeaap
I never made up through the snow fields mountains either and really should've....just drove my mud tyred BT50 through those roads like an idiot instead.
Wearing chicken strips off sure is a grand way to while away ones time that's for sure.
The vid threw a fit on my phone ZXRR will try later...liking this bike talk... had the Super Duke long Tassie Tiger?
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Ecobogan » 23 Jan 2019, 9:07 pm

https://youtu.be/tJX0E5S5QPw

Here's the SV nearly done and about to go on the dyno
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 24 Jan 2019, 6:45 am

ZXRR wrote:Has anyone else had a bad time putting up an ad looking for a rifle / item? I've put up two ads so far, and overall i feel very dissatisfied and it's definitely not worth the money (Depending on item i guess). All i get is emails from a bunch of daft people, who think because you want the item they will waste your time and try to over-charge you and make you believe a rifle like a M1903 is worth 5-6k even though you know better, and have collected rifles for some time now.

It's either those idiotic offers, or the usual "I've got that rifle" whats your offer, without sending details about the rifle or pictures. :thumbsdown:

It's never occurred to me to try a wanted ad, but I'm surprised it costs money. I've bought a few from Usedguns without any troubles. One bloke had an "action" listed that I thought could be useful but on enquiring it turned out to be an empty receiver, not an action.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bill » 24 Jan 2019, 7:34 am

Ive discovered after years of usedguns interaction that most collectors in this country seem to have a serious personality defect and a delusional idea of what their clunker is worth. This has put me of putting up a wanted ad many times lol
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Ecobogan » 24 Jan 2019, 1:38 pm

Ziad wrote:Blackspur and reefton spur. Plus the road to kinglake tolangi state forest... epic pieces of road. But I preferred in 4wd tin can. Lake mountain up and down is pretty good...I don't think they have any cops there.... but only one way so can get in trouble. As the caretakers report number plates and cops will then wait at the bottom. For bikes I hear Brodford tracy is pretty special... or haunted hills... but not sure I'd they do bikes on haunted hills.... haunted hills in I reckon is the best 40-60sec anyone in a car can do.

Yep, yep and yep, epic indeed. Interesting change of landscape through that Toolangi stretch too. Tall, straight impressive run of timber...looks like where the Ewoks should live.
Be a few years back now but I was following a mate on his CBR1000 at a briskish pace through there when we hit a shady damp patch under a good dose of throttle. Both did this nice little simultaneous mini slide tank slapper..... reckon we've all had a few of those
Reefton spur's pretty awesome no doubt about it, like a race track through the ferns.
Don't know of haunted hills... where's that?

Well ZXRR if finding the rifle you're after is proving difficult you should be able to rustle up a good ride with a few lads at least!

Back to the guns, gis a call if you'd like the gunsmiths help
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 24 Jan 2019, 2:15 pm

ZXRR wrote:
Ecobogan wrote:Sorry mate I should've read your post more carefully...you did state a wanted ad. I'm on my 3rd can of 101 turkey so the brain gets hasty.
Yes the SV likes a good freeway power mono and will fry ikoon 1st n 2nd.
Have fun lads

MMMM wild turkey, not bad at all mate. Pretty much spot on about the spur, they really ruined it with all the speed cameras. But every now and then it's a fun ride. ZX6R was bred for it, nimble, and so easy to lean it over, the acceleration and throttle response is literally spot on especially when you want to power out of a corner. But you know whats better? the sound of the inline 4 screaming around such an area and the echos bouncing off the walls.

https://youtu.be/RdhxrisKHTg?t=45

Not my video, I'm a law abiding citizen and follow the posted speed limits.

That's a pretty wide chicken strip on that rubber :sarcasm:
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Ecobogan » 24 Jan 2019, 2:53 pm

Hahaha...now now ;)
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 24 Jan 2019, 7:16 pm

Ecobogan wrote:Daymm...a Super Duke would probably have been a wiser way to spend my cash. The V4 Touno just came out as I was fully committed to the SV build. Both of those Euros would be short straight eating cornering poetry I'd imagine.
Mine is too but in a less refined or classy way, quite peaky for a V twin.
I bought the supercharger set up off a TL1000 race bike from the UK, at full boost he was getting 195rwhp...my dyno guy refused to boost it past 7psi, whimp. Told him I really don't care if it blows up just tell me what it'll do!! Nup...7 pounds.... whimp
The best mod by far though we're carbon fibre wheels....whips around like an R6.
SV1000's are sh@t bikes really, good motor, that luckily take gsxr everything else and the swingarm is the only virgin part. 20k build customs are good at only being worth 5k to sell too....um yeaap
I never made up through the snow fields mountains either and really should've....just drove my mud tyred BT50 through those roads like an idiot instead.
Wearing chicken strips off sure is a grand way to while away ones time that's for sure.
The vid threw a fit on my phone ZXRR will try later...liking this bike talk... had the Super Duke long Tassie Tiger?

A couple mates bought sdr’s and I rode those and I knew I had to buy a bike with that motor BUT coming off a race rep and on wrong side of 40, I opted for the GT model. It’s elec suspension, cornering ABS, cornering leds, elec everything - heated everything...and more relaxed. But for me, it gave me that perfect middle ground between race bike and road bike. I can jam out 500klms day but still drag a peg...and still loft 4th gear stands at 120kmh with panniers and luggage.

It’s not perfect - but it is a lot of fun and I can do a couple track days a year to keep my eye in on the sports bikes.

I loved the SV and the TL - best jap v twin I’ve ridden. The VTR was too soft and the 996/916 were just hand grenades with elec fuses.

Couple my mates - better riders and more dollars in their accounts - spend insane money on their bikes. Don’t feel bad - one of them bought a bking and then lost in a drag race to a diavel- so he packed his bike up and sent to USA, to get bore/stroke and 14.1 compression ratio done at $36,000....250hp of natural motor is quite a feeling but still...lol
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by TassieTiger » 24 Jan 2019, 7:21 pm

Ecobogan wrote:https://youtu.be/tJX0E5S5QPw

Here's the SV nearly done and about to go on the dyno

If your really selling that for $5k we need to talk lol
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Ecobogan » 24 Jan 2019, 9:19 pm

Ha! Perhaps we should. I was prob being a sook at 5k....6'd do it.
To be honest I'm considering parting it out and keeping the motor for a single seat buggy project.
To sidetrack a little I've been playing around with hi perf electric power for a while now. Built a 14 kW downhill bike a while ago and am/was planning on a 350hp DC li-poly driveline for the buggy.
The d/h bike properly gave my RMZ450 a real run for its money, a mate also has a 12 sec elec street car.
This sh#ts fast, quiet, can take a relentless hiding and needs near no maintenance.

How's this though.....the 350hp motor -$3k, controller-$5k.....battery- $12k!!!, weighs 100kg, 4 mins run time and will be buggered in a year.
So am thinking of transplanting the SV donk into the buggy till battery technology catches up.
Am at a kinda cross roads with exactly what to do. It's almost all aftermarket parts and might have some bits that'd be good to get. All is in near mint cond and the motor could do 200hp at 14psi ....dunno!
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 24 Jan 2019, 9:38 pm

Itv is getting off top a bit but hey...it’s bikes, so that’s all good.
If you like podcasts - have a listen to the last 40 mins or so of the below. The guy worked for Tesla and built some elec bikes - very, very funny....

Listen to Podcast 178: Getting Crazy With Dom and Luke from Motorcycles & Misfits in Podcasts. https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/mot ... 0379329131
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 25 Jan 2019, 7:45 am

I don't have apple, not a bike person and don't have 40mins.... but interested enough to ask.. can you please give a quick rundown
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Ecobogan » 25 Jan 2019, 9:39 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Itv is getting off top a bit but hey...it’s bikes, so that’s all good.
If you like podcasts - have a listen to the last 40 mins or so of the below. The guy worked for Tesla and built some elec bikes - very, very funny....

Listen to Podcast 178: Getting Crazy With Dom and Luke from Motorcycles & Misfits in Podcasts. https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/mot ... 0379329131

Hey thanks for that mate and am a big podcast fan actually, will check it out fer sure.
Have you come across 'love and radio'? Don't worry bout the name.... awesome podcast station with some hardcore relevant stories, they had a bit to do with 'S-town' l believe.
Meant to mention before too, with a bit of envy, about some of the super class riding country you have down over Bass strait there.... driven a bit of it, mostly in pissy hire cars but will 2 wheel it oneday definitely.
The SV was something I had to do, an idea that wouldn't leave me alone, got front cover of Rapid Bikes a few years ago, is massively impractical and won't sell for much but time n money can be done in sillier ways l suppose!
The Super Duke is prob the sort of ride I'll move back to when I get back into it.
Cheers for the bike chat n take it easy mate :thumbsup:
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation