recommendations for first all-round centerfire rifle?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

recommendations for first all-round centerfire rifle?

Post by MackDaddy » 23 Jan 2019, 2:05 pm

G'day comrades!

I am looking at getting my first all-round centerfire rifle however I don't know where to begin. I prefer bolt-action.
What calibre and make would you recommend and why? I am looking to spend between $750-$1250.

Thanks
MackDaddy
MackDaddy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: recommendations for first all-round centerfire rifle?

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 23 Jan 2019, 8:38 pm

Hmm we need more info... but there is a recommend me a 223 thread if you search its quite good and....ironically funny
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by solarpak » 23 Jan 2019, 9:01 pm

Yep - what are you intending to use it for - target, hunting?
That aside, you cant go wrong with makes such as the Savage Axis, Howa M1500, Tikka t3x (lite model only) Mauser M18 , Ruger American and probably a few more i have missed.

Just depends what you need it for and that will dictate the specification if the rifle you will look at.

My favourites in this price range - Howa M1500, Tikka T3x Lite and the Mauser M18.... but any reputable make with dealer back-up and a decent warranty is what you want.

CK
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by MackDaddy » 23 Jan 2019, 10:01 pm

I want it for both target shooting and hunting.

Prepared to go to $1500 if need be
MackDaddy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Bruiser64 » 24 Jan 2019, 12:07 am

What are you hunting and where? If hunting on private properties, what is the size range? The more information you can provide, the better the advice that can be offered.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Diamond Jim » 24 Jan 2019, 1:56 am

My first centrefire rifle was a SMLE in .303 - I wouldn't recommend that if you're not into open sights and all that nostalgia stuff.
My next, and most often used rifle is a CZ in .223 - it shoots like a laser, cheap for factory ammo and easy to reload. Before that we had/have a Slazenger (SMLE conversion) .22 Hornet in the family for ever and it still works but the CZ was a revelation. Brother has a Howa in .223 and it is fantastic value for money. It/he consistently outshoots me/mine.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by JimTom » 24 Jan 2019, 5:09 am

If you want something for target and hunting then I would recommend a Lithgow LA102. They’re a crossover. As for calibre, .243 is a good “all rounder”, otherwise a .223 if you’re just chasing smaller game.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 24 Jan 2019, 5:10 am

If you don’t like the idea of the Lithgow then I would say it’s hard to go past a Tikka T3x.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 24 Jan 2019, 5:16 am

Since its your 1st rifle I'd say howa 223. Well within your price range so you've got plenty to spend on a good scope. The howas shoot the ADI/OSA factory rounds great.

Howa 223 was my 1st rifle, now I have 308 and 300wm to go with it. The little howa is always my preferred choice
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 24 Jan 2019, 5:40 am

.223Rem Ruger American Predator is my pick. 8"-twist barrel so you get to play with bullets up to 80gn.
Or if you're wanting something you can use for everything from Varmints to deer, try 7mm-08.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 24 Jan 2019, 6:48 am

The Ruger #1 is a beautiful rifle and a single shot helps slow new shooters down. You may find one secondhand within your budget.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Kumaabear » 24 Jan 2019, 7:37 am

It really heavily depends what you see yourself hunting, and where you will do said hunting.

- Personally I would avoid .223 for hunting if its your only rifle and you don't see yourself getting another one anytime soon, its a great cartridge but it is a bit limiting and you might find yourself looking for something a bit more potent pretty quickly once you start wanting to go after larger pigs and deer.

- .243 is a great intermediate cartridge that will work well on everything up to probably Fallow deer if you chose quality hunting projectiles and hunt at a sensible range within about 200yd. It will be "overkill" on small stuff if you are just going after varmints but nobody will say that its ineffective haha.

- If you are after deer in VIC then there is a minimum caliber requirement of .270 or higher. In this case your best bet would probably be .308 , 7mm-08 (ammo supply can be a touch hard but its around and is a sweet cartridge) , .270 or 30-06

- Of the above for VIC .308 is the obvious choice imo if you are hunting within 300-400 yd, any rifle you want will come in it, ammo choice is plentiful and everywhere, ample power.

Personally the 7mm-08 might be my favorite but factory ammo selection can be a little small but it really is a great cartridge.

As for rifle choice - Tikka T3x Varment stainless or a Lithgow LA102 would probably be my pick for something for both range work and hunting.

Both are sort of heavy for hunting once you stick a scope on them, but wont heat up super fast at the range.
Kumaabear
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Rod_outbak » 24 Jan 2019, 8:35 am

Given we are talking your first centrefire rifle, I'd suggest going with a .223 with a 1:8-1:9"" twist barrel or therabouts(I'd suggest 1:8" if you can do it).

.243, 7mm-08 and .308 are all great calibers(and I have them all!), but even a .243 can be intimidating for a first-time shooter.
.223 with a faster twist is plenty good enough to shoot distance on a range, and you can shoot one all day.
At this stage in the game, you need to get comfortable with shooting; first & foremost.
[Paves the way for filling the gun-safe with bigger bitier stuff in the future...]

If my first centrefire had been my Tikka 7mm-08, I'd have likely taken up chess as a hobby instead....
I love that rifle dearly , but it has taken some getting used to (and some tweaking as well)

A 75gn pill in a .223 is pretty good with wind, and hits pretty darned hard as well; out in the field.
Also; .223 ammo is really easy to source, and some of the factory stuff is pretty freaking awesome. I had a mate here the other day; sighting in his Tikka T3x .223. He was using 55gn Hornady V-Max factory ammo, and it was shooting as good as anything I've seen custom loaded for a particular rifle.
13mm groups from factory ammo is plenty good enough for hunting ammo!
We bought a .223 Howa 1500 Hunter Stainless with the synthetic stock; back in September. Damn thing shoots ~18mm groups out of the box, and has been an absolute champ.
Not the flashest rifle, and not the most high-tech, but a great, solid, reliable firearm.
The rifle cost me $880 incl though my LGS (Outback QLD - you'll likely source is cheaper than that in Victoria), and even with a rail, rings and scope, I could have the rifle set up for under your $1500 limit.

There are things on the Howa that I'll tweak over time, but the rifle shoots really well and reliably out of the box. Cant ask for more.

One point to think about; you mention wanting the rifle for both target and hunting?
Bear in mind that the ideal setup for hunting might heat up quickly on the range(which then starts to affect your grouping.).
A heavier/longer barrel might be better for target work, but will reduce how prepared you are to walk any distance with it.
If you are only likely to be hunting from a vehicle(or varminting), with the occasional short walk, but spend most of your shooting time on the range, I'd tend towards a heavier (and maybe slightly longer) barrel.

My thoughts; doubtless others will have their own point of view.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 24 Jan 2019, 8:46 am

Gday MD
what type of experience do ya have with firearms?
If ya not a novice and it's more for hunting varmiting then id go .243 (lots of bullet choice)
If ya not very experienced or its more for targets then I'd agree with rod and others and look at the.22 cal cf ( .222 .223 22hornet etc).
As for model/rifle choice get to an lgs and shoulder a selection in different styles and setup etc to see what fits YOU best! :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Dossa456 » 24 Jan 2019, 5:21 pm

+1 for the Howa - cheap , shoots great straight out of the box. Few good second hand ones kicking around on the net railed and scoped and usually just run in
Dossa456
Private
Private

-

Post by Gaznazdiak » 24 Jan 2019, 5:34 pm

1:8 twist .223
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Jan 2019, 5:43 pm

Where is the OP?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 24 Jan 2019, 6:53 pm

Steyr in Lapua 338 for first centrefire rifle for sure. Great for all occasions!
Will knock a lot of sense in to you and then you can sell it cheapvto me.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 24 Jan 2019, 7:01 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Where is the OP?

Went looking for a rifle & got lost...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 24 Jan 2019, 8:43 pm

A bolt gun. With a nice heavy barrel. But not too long. And as much on optics as yu payed for the rifle. Then, when you get small groups outa yu system, and realize how much it sucks lugging around a heavy gun, get a whippy (but quality) sporter that’ll put meat in the freezer.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 25 Jan 2019, 7:03 am

TassieTiger wrote:Steyr in Lapua 338 for first centrefire rifle for sure. Great for all occasions!

Until toy earlier how much ammo costs and then look at reloading, ring up your local and fall off your chair to find how much dies cost.... and then I buy the gun from you, and get my mate to make me some ammo on his dies. I think the Redding dies are nearly 1k locally for 338 lapua
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 25 Jan 2019, 7:25 am

[quote="Ziad"
Until toy earlier how much ammo costs and then look at reloading, ring up your local and fall off your chair to find how much dies cost.... and then I buy the gun from you, and get my mate to make me some ammo on his dies. I think the Redding dies are nearly 1k locally for 338 lapua[/quote]

That is strange, I bought 338 Lapua Redding dies for $190. The Lapua is cheaper to load for than a 378 Weatherby Magnum. Check out the price of Weatherby loaded ammunition.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Jan 2019, 7:28 am

SCJ429 wrote:[quote="Ziad"
Until toy earlier how much ammo costs and then look at reloading, ring up your local and fall off your chair to find how much dies cost.... and then I buy the gun from you, and get my mate to make me some ammo on his dies. I think the Redding dies are nearly 1k locally for 338 lapua

That is strange, I bought 338 Lapua Redding dies for $190. The Lapua is cheaper to load for than a 378 Weatherby Magnum. Check out the price of Weatherby loaded ammunition.[/quote]

Everything with Weatherby stamped on it is way overpriced IMO. :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 25 Jan 2019, 7:36 am

Maybe they are the match type s dies or competition dies he was talking about from a local shop...or maybe he was taking outta his arse.... I was just happy to shoot a few rounds outta a sako trg in 338, I wasn't gonna grill him too much.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 25 Jan 2019, 7:40 am

I am just now recovering from buying forster 6br dies ($340).... but it shoots like a laser and kicks like a 22mag.... so I don't really care
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Jan 2019, 8:02 am

Ziad wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:Steyr in Lapua 338 for first centrefire rifle for sure. Great for all occasions!

Most of Rcbs and hornady and similar dies for 338 on eBay are $150...
Brass is not overly cheap but not too bad compared to similar size. I’d take an absolute guess that it would cost about 1.50 - 2.00 a reload ?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 25 Jan 2019, 8:31 am

Hey you are talking to someone who has a sako trg in 338 lapua the bipod on it is like 1k (not sure if its worth that)....I don't think he would consider lee or hornady dies.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jan 2019, 8:40 am

TassieTiger wrote:
Ziad wrote:

Most of Rcbs and hornady and similar dies for 338 on eBay are $150...
Brass is not overly cheap but not too bad compared to similar size. I’d take an absolute guess that it would cost about 1.50 - 2.00 a reload ?

I doubt too many people are shooting .338Lapua for $2 a shot, probably $3 is more realistic for budget shooting.
Will depend largely on the bullet you choose. 250gn Nosler Partition is about $2.50 apiece, Barnes are $2 apiece. Speer Hot-Cors are probably the cheapest at about a buck apiece.
Lapua brass are about $6 apiece, so you'd want to get a dozen loads per case minimum.
And each load runs about 80-100gn of powder, or about 150rds per kg.

But with something like this I don't suppose most owners are going to shoot it more than a few hundred times a year in competition, and a whole lot less in hunting.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 25 Jan 2019, 9:01 am

Plus probably their shoulders hurt after every range session.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Jan 2019, 9:35 am

some gun shop needs to set up in an large acreage...so you can try before you buy.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles