A new cartridge.

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: A new cartridge.

Post by deye243 » 25 Jan 2019, 9:04 pm

Stoney wrote:It's literally a rimless .357 Maximum. Wow...….. who would have thought. :roll: Not exactly re-inventing the wheel. Does anyone know what happened to the WSSM? :lol:

It was about to form a one world gov and take over the world but it couldn't handle the pressure.....
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bill » 25 Jan 2019, 10:03 pm

Stoney wrote:It's literally a rimless .357 Maximum. Wow...….. who would have thought. :roll: Not exactly re-inventing the wheel. Does anyone know what happened to the WSSM? :lol:

Yeap got a bag of 357 maximum brass too, and the WSSM made fine donor action for some wicked big bores..... but Im not sure you can compare the 2. The WSSM were poorly done, mostly by winchester. Pretty hard to f*** up a necked up 223 case with only mild velocities.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Stoney » 25 Jan 2019, 10:14 pm

deye243 wrote:

It was about to form a one world gov and take over the world but it couldn't handle the pressure.....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bill wrote:

Yeap got a bag of 357 maximum brass too, and the WSSM made fine donor action for some wicked big bores..... but Im not sure you can compare the 2. The WSSM were poorly done, mostly by winchester. Pretty hard to f*** up a necked up 223 case with only mild velocities.

Yes Bill, but still selling a joke round. The mathematics on ballistics were worked out a long time ago. yes?
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 26 Jan 2019, 6:28 am

Gamerancher wrote:So the advertised 350 Legend, 150 gr load has figures of MV = 2325 and ME = 1800, @ 200yds these are V = 1647 and E = 903

A 200gr load in the .375 Win has a MV = 2480 and ME of 2731 and down range @ 200yds retains a V = 1702 and E = 1287

Tell me again how they are similar. :unknown: I know which one I'd prefer for poking holes in game in scrub. :thumbsup:

P.S. The .35 Rem is also a rimless case and has basically the same ballistics as those advertised for this 350 Legend.

Don't get me wrong, it would be a great little round. As with all cases based on the .222 Rem .375" base diameter case, they are efficient and tend to work well. :drinks:

Yup you were right on the figures, dunno what I was looking at. Batteries in my glasses must’ve been getting low :lol: . Still, I think it’s a interesting round that I wouldn’t mind in a lever gun

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 26 Jan 2019, 6:53 am

Bill wrote:

Seen a 458wssm wildcat that very nearly matches 458wm....must admit,that tickles my fancy just a bit....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 26 Jan 2019, 8:28 am

bigpete wrote:
Bill wrote:

Seen a 458wssm wildcat that very nearly matches 458wm....must admit,that tickles my fancy just a bit....

I think at some point Pete ya just gotta indulge what tickles ya fancy regardless if whether or not it’s technically better or worse than other calibers . Variety is the fun in life, some stuff just works better in practice than it does on paper and it would be boring if we all owned the same rifle and calibers
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Bill » 26 Jan 2019, 10:02 am

Yeah just imagine if we only had access to 303 s and 310 cadets.......
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 26 Jan 2019, 10:47 am

Hell no! I think I'd give up shooting if they were the only options. :thumbsdown:
There are a bunch of great cartridges available based on the .222 head size.
I personally have .221 Fireball, .222, 5.6 x 50 magnum, and .300 Whisper.
Next project will be a .25/222 as a culling rifle. Just because I like my "1/4" bores and I have a bunch of 222 cases and .25 cal pills. :thumbsup:
I also shot a .300 Apache ( .30/222 ) last year in the U.S, nice little round, knocked down 500m silhouette rams, so better retained energy than .243Win at that distance. Can't remember what the load was, but the son of the bloke who came up with the round wanted me to have a few shots out of his rifle. :drinks:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Ramslamer » 26 Jan 2019, 6:34 pm

A rimless straight walled case will have to heads pace on the case mouth - much like the 45acp - I can see problems making it from .223 cases - stretched to 357 cal the brass will be a bit thin to offer much to head space on. Like it has been said before it is so close to a rimless 357 maxi that there would be very little, if any difference,in terminal performance. The maxi is a case crying out for a lever gun to live in and it already has a home in single shot firearms, to wit the Thompson Center "Contender" carbine and pistol. I have barrels for both and and with the right loads they are great for slamming both steel rams (metallic silhouette) and the real thing (pigs,goats, deer) Sounds to me like another "come in sucker" marketing exercise by a major player in the firearms industry but I guess time will tell.
To see how good the 357 maxi is read the info at http://357maximum.net/
Last edited by Ramslamer on 26 Jan 2019, 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ramslamer
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Ramslamer » 26 Jan 2019, 7:54 pm

Gamerancher - you should check out the "Myra'" range of cartridges - all based on the .222 - developed in the late 1950"s by Broken Hill gunsmith Arthur Langsford
There was a 243 Myra, a 250 Myra, a 270Myra and a 300 Myra
See http://www.cartridgecollector.net/250-myra
Ramslamer
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Jan 2019, 11:20 pm

GAME CHANGER!! :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigpete » 27 Jan 2019, 5:55 am

bigfellascott wrote:GAME CHANGER!! :D

:lol:
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gamerancher » 27 Jan 2019, 9:13 am

Yeah Ramslamer, I know about the Myra cartridges. Like most "new" cases that hit the market, it 'aint long before folks start necking them up and down.
Langsford was just doing what 100's of others around the world were doing with the case. He just never submitted them to SAAMI, so they go in the pile with all other blokes "wildcats".
Another very efficient case that has the same sort of history is the 250 Savage. It has been a favorite case of wildcatters since its release in 1915. The most popular of which was the necked down to .22 cal version that went on to be standardized by Remington and released as the .22-250, I couldn't count the number of devotees of that cartridge that are totally ignorant of that fact.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 27 Jan 2019, 6:23 pm

Ramslamer wrote:A rimless straight walled case will have to heads pace on the case mouth - much like the 45acp - I can see problems making it from .223 cases - stretched to 357 cal the brass will be a bit thin to offer much to head space on.

Especially for higher performance loads, what are the know issues with cartridges headspacing off the mouth? This is a question for any of you knowledgeable peeps actually..
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 01 Feb 2019, 1:36 pm

Might make for some fun in a revolver :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stevo67 » 02 Apr 2021, 5:45 pm

Having a bit of a quandary moment..

Have a Wedgetail WT 15 and am looking to make it more flexible by adding another upper.

Mainly used in timbered country in NT. Probably 300 meters max.

Looking at 350 legend over the usual offenders, being 300blk and 6.5 Grendel

Any thoughts?
Stevo67
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by lister50 » 05 Apr 2021, 6:37 pm

Ask me in a week when I pick up mine :D

Was looking at another .308 as my son is joining me hunting deer in high country, and I just purchased a .350 Ruger American ranch carbine today.

I love the flexibility of the .308, but I wanted something in the smaller footprint, and I stalk on foot. I'm not into the long range gig or shooting hilltop to hilltop, so I think it's A great middle ground.

But the proof of the pudding as they say... ;)
lister50
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Apr 2021, 10:07 pm

The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by boingk » 05 Apr 2021, 11:18 pm

Stevo67 wrote:Have a Wedgetail WT 15 and am looking to make it more flexible by adding another upper.

Looking at 350 legend

See if you can get an upper for 450 Bushmaster.

Good solid round, same OAL as the 223, takes readily available 45 cal projctiles, fair bit more punch than the re-invented 35 Remington.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Previous

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics