Who here uses firewood to heat their homes in winter?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: Who here uses firewood to heat their homes in winter?

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Jan 2019, 10:06 am

Daddybang wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
Daddybang wrote:F@#kin oath BigFella that'd keep ya warm on a cold night!!!!! :D :drinks:

Yeah she was welcomed alright, you can see in the pic with the bobcat the snow had just started coming in so a good fire was sure welcome! :D

I've heard about that snow stuff but never seen it in real life except from a distance(Ayers rock back in about 98 but I didn't get out of the truck :lol: ) ...at least ya wouldn't be wasting dollars on ice for the beer. Just sit the carton on stump in the paddock!! :lol: :thumbsup: :drinks:

Mate I've wasted more beer forget about it until the next day and it was a frozen block of beer then :silent: I've learn't to not leave it in the carport and put it in the fridge now :D I near cried when I realised what I'd done :(
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Jan 2019, 10:13 am

here's a bit of snow for ya mate

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Jan 2019, 10:15 am

This was a good lump of wood to cut up - it blew over in a storm and ended up on the fence line so it had to go.

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Jan 2019, 10:17 am

A small load - the 621 Jonsereds is a torquey ol beast of a thing, old sckool and way cool is that tank of a chainsaw!

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Stix » 23 Jan 2019, 10:20 am

Fmd bigfella... :shock:
A good few table tops there...!!!

I couldnt bring myself to burn all of that if i had it...

Id have to salvage some decent slabs & biscuits from it...you know...to keep in the shed & further clog up my life eith stuff ill never get around to doing... :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Jan 2019, 10:21 am

A bit of fun in the snow a few years back - the simple pleasures in life are the ones I remember and cherish the most. :drinks:

A bit of towboganing :D

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Jan 2019, 10:26 am

The deer were pretty active too going by the prints everywhere.

It must of been cold that day as the creek was frozen!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Daddybang » 23 Jan 2019, 1:43 pm

Yep that looks like a great time mate :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 23 Jan 2019, 2:49 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
bigpete wrote:I wish I had a wood fire....

What's stopping ya Pete?

Money,and no real place place to put it
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Jan 2019, 9:06 pm

100_1739.JPG
100_1739.JPG (1.15 MiB) Viewed 5118 times
100_1731.JPG
100_1731.JPG (1.06 MiB) Viewed 5118 times
IMG10103.jpg
IMG10103.jpg (703.56 KiB) Viewed 5118 times
Yep, I love a wood fire when it gets cold.
But I made sure I don't raise a sweat when I'm splitting it up. :lol: :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Jan 2019, 9:17 pm

bigpete wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
bigpete wrote:I wish I had a wood fire....

What's stopping ya Pete?

Money,and no real place place to put it

That sucks Pete, you can get 2nd hand ones pretty cheap, a mate bought his for around $400 and it's a bloody rippa wood heater, sure punches out good heat! :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Jan 2019, 9:20 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
100_1739.JPG
100_1731.JPG
IMG10103.jpg
Yep, I love a wood fire when it gets cold.
But I made sure I don't raise a sweat when I'm splitting it up. :lol: :thumbsup:

Nice setup Ed, what's the story? Yep splittings a bitch and so is loading it into the ute (it really knocks the piss out of me now I can tell ya) this year is really going to be hard on me I think, hopefully, I can get enough in before it gets too cold. :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bladeracer » 24 Jan 2019, 6:35 am

bigfellascott wrote:Nice setup Ed, what's the story? Yep splittings a bitch and so is loading it into the ute (it really knocks the piss out of me now I can tell ya) this year is really going to be hard on me I think, hopefully, I can get enough in before it gets too cold. :unknown:

We have a log splitter that comes out every week to split wood for us, been coming for over 40 years I believe.
But at 77-years-old now his shoulders are feeling it.
So we bought a log splitter last year for him - he loves it!
I'm really impressed with it. He splits logs for a couple hours every week and it's never missed a beat.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Baumr-AG-20-Ton-Electric-Log-Splitter-20T-Hydraulic-Fire-Wood-Block-Cutter-Axe/131778641213
I didn't get it off Ebay but this is the same model we have.
He's finally been able to split the rock-hard stuff that he's had to put aside the last few years, this beast just rips through it.

I wanted to get a petrol one so we could take it out to the fallen trees and cut and split them on-site. But most of its work will be right near the house and I can use a generator if I want to take it out. This thing is virtually silent compared to a petrol engine.
Attachments
20190123_155344b.jpg
20190123_155344b.jpg (358.47 KiB) Viewed 5107 times
20190123_155337b.jpg
20190123_155337b.jpg (285.57 KiB) Viewed 5107 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Jan 2019, 7:22 am

That looks like a good little setup you have there BR, what type of wood do you burn where you are?

When I come across a piece I can't split I just get the chainsaw onto it as a rule (usually forky stuff) most of the other stuff if it's tuff I just knock the sides off it as it were instead of the usual splitting in half, then half again type thing like most do, I find knocking the sides off makes it easy to do and doable as it were.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Jan 2019, 7:35 am

This video demonstrates what I mean by knocking the sides off the wood that is harder to split, you will also see him try and split it the more traditional way by splitting in half then half again and you can see the difference in how knocking the sides off is to going more traditional.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTroXIXQHIY
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Die Judicii » 24 Jan 2019, 5:50 pm

bigfellascott wrote:This video demonstrates what I mean by knocking the sides off the wood that is harder to split, you will also see him try and split it the more traditional way by splitting in half then half again and you can see the difference in how knocking the sides off is to going more traditional.

Demonstrates yes,, but it is the straightest of straight grain firewood that isn't a challenge to split, especially by hand.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 24 Jan 2019, 6:50 pm

12mm Drilled holes in some reels, with some compressed adi powder, with a sparkler fuse, allegedly splits wood quite nicely. So I’ve heard...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 24 Jan 2019, 7:21 pm

Wrong thread...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 24 Jan 2019, 7:41 pm

bigfellascott wrote:This video demonstrates what I mean by knocking the sides off the wood that is harder to split, you will also see him try and split it the more traditional way by splitting in half then half again and you can see the difference in how knocking the sides off is to going more traditional.

Yea bigfella...thats the go, its how i split it too... !! :thumbsup:
He explains it well.:thumbsup:
Its ultimately the best & most efficient way ive found to attak a log...
That vid is a good find for a newbee to splitting firewood

Beats the hell out of what some other heros do--see them with a heap of wedges driven into a log or round & trying to go through a knot that will outlast the earth, & they keep battling & drive the wedges in & end up using a chainsaw... :lol:

Its also good as using that method you often get smaller bits &/or its easier to split smaller bits needed from all the sap wood/outside of log... :thumbsup:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 24 Jan 2019, 8:57 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Nice setup Ed, what's the story? :

I could see the day would come when I run outta breath, and struggle with fire wood,,,,,,,
So I gathered up bits and pieces and built my own machine.
The crane is also hydraulically slewed 360 degrees, and is mounted on a semi trailer turntable to allow for rotation.
The chassis that everything is sitting on top of is part of a WW 2 Mack Truck.

The splitter itself develops 94.5 tons per square inch at the cutting end of business. :thumbsup:
I have actually cut hardwood logs up to around 6" diameter straight across the grain with it.
The splitting blade is one I developed over time with successive shapes and profiles, and is near tool steel hardness

When I first finished building it a friend of mine looked it over and declared that it was grossly over engineered. :wtf:
I proved him wrong a month later when I actually bent the I beam that runs underneath.
I was cutting up River Red gum stumps with it at the time.

Now, it has double I beams, and has never bent again.

When I used to have to get firewood by permit from state forests etc, I used to follow where other people had already taken the easy stuff, and left the twisty forked sections behind, these are easy for this machine to handle and the tougher wood usually makes for better burning.

The biggest problem I have in my current location is that I can't get timber as big as what I used to be able to access.
The largest I've ever cut up with it was rings of redgum just on 6 foot diameter.
I had bought these, and they were unloaded off the truck one at a time.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jan 2019, 6:13 am

bigfellascott wrote:That looks like a good little setup you have there BR, what type of wood do you burn where you are?

I had to check with Rose :-)
She says most of what we burn is difficult to identify with certainty after laying in a paddock for a decade or two.
Mostly eucalypts, some blackwood, occasionally some pine and oak, and probably some others as well. Anything that falls goes through the stove eventually.

We saw it into ute-lengths, cart it up to the shed, stack any green stuff to dry, then cut the dry stuff into stove-lengths with the swing saw. Then split them and stack them in the wood shed with the snakes and spiders. Every week a heap gets barrowed down to the stack at the back door.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jan 2019, 6:36 am

TassieTiger wrote:12mm Drilled holes in some reels, with some compressed adi powder, with a sparkler fuse, allegedly splits wood quite nicely. So I’ve heard...

Bob told me he has one of those powder wedges that you fill with blackpowder somewhere but I haven't found it yet. You have to drill a hole with the auger first then fill this thing up and hammer it into the log, spike it to the log with a chain so it doesn't disappear over the horizon, light some slow match cord and run away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_iH1ESyYuc
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Jan 2019, 7:18 am

bladeracer wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:That looks like a good little setup you have there BR, what type of wood do you burn where you are?

She says most of what we burn is difficult to identify with certainty after laying in a paddock for a decade or two.
Mostly eucalypts, some blackwood, occasionally some pine and oak, and probably some others as well. Anything that falls goes through the stove eventually.

We saw it into ute-lengths, cart it up to the shed, stack any green stuff to dry, then cut the dry stuff into stove-lengths with the swing saw. Then split them and stack them in the wood shed with the snakes and spiders. Every week a heap gets barrowed down to the stack at the back door.

Yep I'm the same mate, I wouldn't have a clue about a lot of the wood I burn either, to me it's wood and it will put out some sort of heat so burn the bloody stuff :lol:

I get pine offcuts from the local mill, they come in handy when you want to get a fire going quickly and they put out good heat (they don't burn real long but it's great for getting the fire cranked up quickly) and it's free so we just get the backhoe to drop a load in the ute and off we go. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Jan 2019, 6:35 am

Die Judicii wrote:

Demonstrates yes,, but it is the straightest of straight grain firewood that isn't a challenge to split, especially by hand.

True Ed but the principles the same, knock the sides off if she's hard splitting. I have some box here that was hard to split the conventional way so gave the "knocking the sides off" method a go and it was much easier to deal with. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Daddybang » 26 Jan 2019, 7:48 am

bigfellascott wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Yep I'm the same mate, I wouldn't have a clue about a lot of the wood I burn either, to me it's wood and it will put out some sort of heat so burn the bloody stuff :lol:

I get pine offcuts from the local mill, they come in handy when you want to get a fire going quickly and they put out good heat (they don't burn real long but it's great for getting the fire cranked up quickly) and it's free so we just get the backhoe to drop a load in the ute and off we go. :drinks:

We have to be very careful with the wood we burn(or at least know exactly what it is) as some trees can have nasty effects if ya breathe the smoke including hallucinations or in extreme cases death. :D :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Jan 2019, 8:19 am

Wow - I don’t think we have worry about anything like that here thank god.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Feb 2019, 11:03 am

Went out yesterday with a couple of mates to start cutting firewood for the upcoming winter, 3 loads of Stringy and Peppermint were cut, some for me and the rest for a customer of my mates.

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bladeracer » 02 Feb 2019, 11:14 am

Daddybang wrote:We have to be very careful with the wood we burn(or at least know exactly what it is) as some trees can have nasty effects if ya breathe the smoke including hallucinations or in extreme cases death. :D :thumbsup: :drinks:

What about CCA Treated Pine - is burning this stuff actually dangerous?
Bob here never worried about it, if it looked like wood it went in the stove.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 02 Feb 2019, 4:36 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Daddybang wrote:We have to be very careful with the wood we burn(or at least know exactly what it is) as some trees can have nasty effects if ya breathe the smoke including hallucinations or in extreme cases death. :D :thumbsup: :drinks:

Don't know about treated pine I've burnt pallets and coppers logs and ended up with a very sore throat but I've felt the same after burning untreated black cypress logs(very handy for keeping mozzies down in camp
:D )
There's a few rainforest trees that the murris use for some of their corrobees and they get some very interesting result from burning them and inhaling the smoke. :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 02 Feb 2019, 6:14 pm

Daddybang wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Don't know about treated pine I've burnt pallets and coppers logs and ended up with a very sore throat but I've felt the same after burning untreated black cypress logs(very handy for keeping mozzies down in camp
:D )
There's a few rainforest trees that the murris use for some of their corrobees and they get some very interesting result from burning them and inhaling the smoke. :thumbsup: :drinks:

Its not dangerous to burn CCA treated timber...but given its treated with Copper, Chrome & Arsenic you probably dont want to be breathing in the fumes/smoke.. :thumbsdown:

I love the smell of Cypress...its so nice to cut & nice sweet smell when burning... :thumbsup: :clap:
:drinks:

Termites dont like the taste either... (well the termites down here anyway--dunno about the the supercharged hulk versions you breed up there.. :lol: . :crazy: ) :D
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation