QLD Weapons Reg. Section 95c

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

QLD Weapons Reg. Section 95c

Post by hzj80 » 30 Jan 2019, 11:34 am

Hi all,

So on the subject of storage in a vehicle, section 95c of the QLD weapons regulations seems to say that I can have rifles in the car as long as they're stored as described, when

a) I don't have a QLD licence (I have a VIC license);
b) I don't meet the reciprocal license categories in section 32 (eg I don't have permission to hunt); and
c) I don't have a visitor's license

Even though all those 3 may be true, my reading is that it's still kosher for me to have the rifles in the car on the grounds that I'm away from my secure storage facility (which is at home in VIC) and it's not practical for me to have to go there to store the rifles.

Any comments on that? Am I looking at it the right way?
hzj80
Recruit
Recruit

-

Re: QLD Weapons Reg. Section 95c

Post by trekin » 31 Jan 2019, 3:37 am

hzj80 wrote:Hi all,

So on the subject of storage in a vehicle, section 95c of the QLD weapons regulations seems to say that I can have rifles in the car as long as they're stored as described, when

a) I don't have a QLD licence (I have a VIC license);
b) I don't meet the reciprocal license categories in section 32 (eg I don't have permission to hunt); and
c) I don't have a visitor's license

Even though all those 3 may be true, my reading is that it's still kosher for me to have the rifles in the car on the grounds that I'm away from my secure storage facility (which is at home in VIC) and it's not practical for me to have to go there to store the rifles.

Any comments on that? Am I looking at it the right way?

If you do not meet the requirements of Section 32 (1) of the Act, or Section 19 Temporary recognition of particular interstate authorities—additional purposes for visiting Queensland of the Regulations and do not have a visitors licence, then you are in breach of the firearm laws here in QLD, irrespective of the fact that you hold a licence or other authority in your home State.
Edit to add: So no, it is not "kosher for me to have the rifles in the car on the grounds that I'm away from my secure storage facility (which is at home in VIC) and it's not practical for me to have to go there to store the rifles." However, if you wish to test this, bring at least 10 firearms with you, then, at least the courts here will be more lenient on you under Section 50 (2)
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by hzj80 » 31 Jan 2019, 6:25 am

Hey, thanks for the reply. Can you explain the purpose of 95c in this context then?
hzj80
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by TassieTiger » 31 Jan 2019, 7:05 am

A friend in tassie, recently looked into taking his fire arm in his vehicle from Tas to QLD for a 4wd trip.

He would have had to register/unregistered in Tas on spirit ship, in vic on spirit ship, out of vic, into nsw, out of nsw into qld and then reverse....needless to say - didn’t happen.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by hzj80 » 31 Jan 2019, 7:15 am

I'm not certain about the 'register in and out' parts.

For example, from NSW fact sheet, it looks like I can travel with a firearm with no requirement to register the fact with any authority.

Travelling through NSW
An interstate resident who holds the equivalent of a category A, B, or H
firearms licence issued in their State or Territory of residence, may lawfully
possess a firearm (possess only, not use) of a kind to which a corresponding
category A, B or H licence issued in this State applies, but only for the purposes
of:
* Travelling through NSW, or
* After buying the firearm from a NSW firearms dealer, or
* Taking it to a NSW firearms dealer for sale, repair or servicing.

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/as ... nition.pdf
Last edited by hzj80 on 31 Jan 2019, 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
hzj80
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Daddybang » 31 Jan 2019, 7:16 am

Yep apply for a visitor permit. Did ya have anywhere in particular in qld ya were planning to travel. ?? :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by hzj80 » 31 Jan 2019, 7:22 am

Daddybang wrote:Yep apply for a visitor permit. Did ya have anywhere in particular in qld ya were planning to travel. ?? :drinks:

Cape York and Gulf Savannah country.

That brings up part 2 of the issue, which is the matter of travelling through National Parks. Some, maybe most DES fact sheets use the words "Use of firearms prohibited" or similar. Only a couple I've seen use the words "Possession of firearms is prohibited".

How does it work in reality? Is it ok to have a safely stored, disabled rifle when travelling in a national park?
hzj80
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Daddybang » 31 Jan 2019, 7:56 am

Speaking for the Cape only. Most Rangers have a don't ask don't tell policy when it comes to firearms. If they're not being used and are out of sight they will probably not ask if you are carrying them however that's not always guaranteed as its technically illegal to have them in the parks but the laws were written without taking into account the fact that ya can't travel on the cape without going through national park.
This applies to traveling thru and camping.
Beware chainsaws come under the same prohibition.
I used to run camping safaris on the Cape and had many long discussions with the rangers and coppers about the illogical laws. :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by hzj80 » 31 Jan 2019, 8:04 am

Yeah, the fact sheet for all of Cape York Parks only mentions firearms once, in this context:

"Don’t use chainsaws, firearms or quad bikes"
hzj80
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Daddybang » 31 Jan 2019, 8:06 am

Pm sent :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 31 Jan 2019, 8:29 am

hzj80 wrote:I'm not certain about the 'register in and out' parts.

For example, from NSW fact sheet, it looks like I can travel with a firearm with no requirement to register the fact with any authority.

Travelling through NSW
An interstate resident who holds the equivalent of a category A, B, or H
firearms licence issued in their State or Territory of residence, may lawfully
possess a firearm (possess only, not use) of a kind to which a corresponding
category A, B or H licence issued in this State applies, but only for the purposes
of:
* Travelling through NSW, or
* After buying the firearm from a NSW firearms dealer, or
* Taking it to a NSW firearms dealer for sale, repair or servicing.

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/as ... nition.pdf

My friend and colleagues wanted to take on some of the simpson and surrounding 4 wheel drive tracks - they were intending on trying to shoot a goat one night for the experience. I think this fact - muddied the waters.
Travelling without intending to shoot is probably easier...

I'm not privy to the entire detail - but I know he ended up giving up on that dream because of complexity...or SO HE TOLD ME lol....
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by hzj80 » 31 Jan 2019, 8:41 am

PM replied. Thanks DB for cutting through the knot I was struggling to untangle!
hzj80
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Daddybang » 31 Jan 2019, 11:20 am

Happy to help out Hz!
:thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Archie » 31 Jan 2019, 12:23 pm

So at least with respect to moving firearms between Vic and NSW... you definitely don't have to re-register them. People do this for hunting trips in the highlands all the time. You do have to conform to the local laws of course. But licences are recognised. As for Tas and Qld, I have no idea what the rules are beyond the borders of civilisation ;)

Other thing on National Parks. You can (again, in NSW) as I understand it, transport a firearm through a national park, on a registered road. Where you come unstuck is when you come off the road to camp etc.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Queensland gun laws