Webley & Scott Xocet 22lr

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Webley & Scott Xocet 22lr

Post by Jon79 » 03 Sep 2018, 10:33 am

Anyone had anything to do with these? looking for a cheap little 22 to replace the total dud Puma I bought her and see there is a deal on these at the moment...only looking for a knock around gun that can go behind the seats that is reasonably accurate (unlike the puma)
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Webley & Scott Xocet 22lr

Post by Jon79 » 07 Sep 2018, 4:18 pm

Well went ahead and put a deposit on one of these while I wait for my PTA...….will wait and see how it goes

Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 07 Sep 2018, 6:13 pm

Please let us know how it performs Jon, I'm looking for a cheap 22lr myself.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 07 Sep 2018, 6:18 pm

fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 07 Sep 2018, 6:57 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/reviews/rifle/webley-scott-xocet

A .22LR review using only one box of one type of ammo?

Very strange that I find only a single mention of the Xocet on RimfireCentral, and that is incidental to the discussion.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8750793&highlight=xocet#post8750793

I'm assuming he's talking about aluminium alloy rather than some other alloy though.

I would also have thought a British company would've realised that Xocet in English would be difficult to pronounce :-)
It should be X-Ocet if they want it pronounced as "ecks". Perhaps the name is Spanish?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Jon79 » 07 Sep 2018, 7:47 pm

Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 07 Sep 2018, 8:39 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Gaznazdiak wrote:https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/reviews/rifle/webley-scott-xocet

A .22LR review using only one box of one type of ammo?

Very strange that I find only a single mention of the Xocet on RimfireCentral, and that is incidental to the discussion.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8750793&highlight=xocet#post8750793

I'm assuming he's talking about aluminium alloy rather than some other alloy though.

I would also have thought a British company would've realised that Xocet in English would be difficult to pronounce :-)
It should be X-Ocet if they want it pronounced as "ecks". Perhaps the name is Spanish?

Not to mention bringing back some painful memories of their Falklands sojourn.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Jon79 » 29 Sep 2018, 1:01 pm

Well went and picked up mine the other day, took it out yesterday to sight it in and gotta say pretty happy with it...only had a brick of Federal ammo so couldn't test it with other stuff but it shot like a lazer,

The only issue I had was some rounds not going off (maybe 1 in 20) but that could have been the ammo as I remember having issues with the previous 22 and the same batch of ammo and looking at the ammo the firing pin had hit it plenty hard enough
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JSS » 18 Oct 2018, 2:08 pm

Has anyone got any more reports or info on these things?? i just got a call from my gunshop telling me a couple of them have come into stock and asking if i wanted one as we were talking about a little knock around 22 the other day. They look ok for the money but the old google search is coming up a bit light, and Jon79s report of the misfiring (if it's the rifle & not the ammos fault) doesn't sound good.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Jon79 » 19 Oct 2018, 9:29 am

JSS wrote:Has anyone got any more reports or info on these things?? i just got a call from my gunshop telling me a couple of them have come into stock and asking if i wanted one as we were talking about a little knock around 22 the other day. They look ok for the money but the old google search is coming up a bit light, and Jon79s report of the misfiring (if it's the rifle & not the ammos fault) doesn't sound good.

no miss fires since changing ammo if that helps :thumbsup: very accurate little rifle too cant fault it now I have the ammo issue sorted
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JSS » 19 Oct 2018, 4:37 pm

Thanks Jon, appreciate the feedback mate. I've got one of the two my dealer has on hold, looks like i'll go pick it up tomorrow then :drinks:
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Jon79 » 05 Nov 2018, 1:42 pm

JSS wrote:Thanks Jon, appreciate the feedback mate. I've got one of the two my dealer has on hold, looks like i'll go pick it up tomorrow then :drinks:

how'd you go? did you end up getting it?
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JSS » 22 Nov 2018, 7:36 am

Sorry for the late reply Jon, i just got back from a trip, yes mate it's in the safe, now i just have to get around to sighting it in.........
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Uber_petey » 24 Jan 2019, 12:08 pm

Any updates on how these rifles are performing?
I'm looking for a cheap 22 and morwell have them for $650 with scope.
Or, they have those rock island armory 22lr for $399 scoped
Uber_petey
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Jon79 » 24 Jan 2019, 4:14 pm

cant fault the one I have, have put plenty of rounds through it now and bloody happy with it especially the price tag, very accurate little gun...no more of the misfire issues from the first time I tried it so it must have been the ammo, took it out the other day shooting bunnies happy I grabbed it
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JSS » 31 Jan 2019, 6:14 pm

Haven't even fired mine yet, going down to the range tomorrow to sight it in and let the bro-in-law have a play with a few rifles so i'll let you know soon
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by JSS » 02 Feb 2019, 7:32 pm

Well after having a play with it at the range on friday i have to say imo it's a nice little rifle, once sighted in it was like a laser. Not as smooth as the tikka i had out for the bro-in-law to play with, but then not as pricey either. it will make a fun bit of kit to play with and i'm glad i bought it.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by CrackThump » 13 Apr 2019, 7:23 pm

Sorry to revive an old thread, but Ive had my Exocet for a month now, took it to the paddock a few times without a hitch. Now for the frustrating part of the story..

Last weekend I took it to the range for a club shoot and everything ran fine, even trying out different target ammo. After maybe 50 or 60 rounds it started to misfire maybe 1 in 10, I assumed dodgey ammo at the time but as the day wore on it got progressively worse, even changing ammo brands.by the time I gave up it was misfiring 50/50.

This morning up in the paddock, it would only fire 1 in 10. I have since learned to inspect the base of the round and identify light strikes from the firing pin and this is definitely the cause.

Ive stripped down the bolt, cleaned out the whole shebang with a couple of good douses of G96, reassembled and loaded 5 rounds... ONE fire and 4 misfires.... So strip the bolt again, another dose of G96 , cleaned the WHOLE rifle, reassemble and load another 5 rounds.. same story.. the first round fires and the next 4 misfire.

very VERY light strikes on the base of the rounds. And to do due diligence, we loaded all my misfired rounds into her old browning 22 pumpaction and every one of them fired.

So what am I looking at. ? a faulty firing pin/assembly. ? a temperamental rifle. ?

is there something else I should be considering. ?

I still love this little rifle, Im calling this teething problems before I crack the sh*ts and go get a Ruger lol.
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by ScottyD » 15 Oct 2019, 5:12 pm

CrackThump wrote:Sorry to revive an old thread, but Ive had my Exocet for a month now, took it to the paddock a few times without a hitch. Now for the frustrating part of the story..

Last weekend I took it to the range for a club shoot and everything ran fine, even trying out different target ammo. After maybe 50 or 60 rounds it started to misfire maybe 1 in 10, I assumed dodgey ammo at the time but as the day wore on it got progressively worse, even changing ammo brands.by the time I gave up it was misfiring 50/50.

This morning up in the paddock, it would only fire 1 in 10. I have since learned to inspect the base of the round and identify light strikes from the firing pin and this is definitely the cause.

Ive stripped down the bolt, cleaned out the whole shebang with a couple of good douses of G96, reassembled and loaded 5 rounds... ONE fire and 4 misfires.... So strip the bolt again, another dose of G96 , cleaned the WHOLE rifle, reassemble and load another 5 rounds.. same story.. the first round fires and the next 4 misfire.

very VERY light strikes on the base of the rounds. And to do due diligence, we loaded all my misfired rounds into her old browning 22 pumpaction and every one of them fired.

So what am I looking at. ? a faulty firing pin/assembly. ? a temperamental rifle. ?

is there something else I should be considering. ?

I still love this little rifle, Im calling this teething problems before I crack the sh*ts and go get a Ruger lol.

Hey mate, how'd you go with the issue? Did you get to the bottom of it?
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by CrackThump » 15 Oct 2019, 6:36 pm

hey scotty.. well i kind of sorted it out.. with some help fromthe the lads at the club I discovered the bolt face tends to get dirty easily, so regular and rigorous cleaning is required to avoid the misfires.. Im still happy with its accuracy out to 100m, but reckon its going to end up as a dedicated bunny-smacker. I'll invest again for a good club rifle
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 15 Oct 2019, 7:47 pm

Wouldn't you have tried warranty
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by CrackThump » 16 Oct 2019, 4:59 pm

Meh... theres a bit of a story there.. when the misfire problem first started, I took it back to the shop, and under warranty had a local gunsmith go over it.. he said something along the lines of weak firing pin spring, so that was replaced under warranty, but next visit to the range and the misfires still occurring, I took some on the spot advice from the local brains trust.

Im sure theres an engineering explanation as to why the bolt face fouls up after (x) number of rounds and needs cleaning, and maybe this could be investigated and repaired under warranty, or replaced after many months of a professional looking at it, sending it back to me "fixed", me sending it back with the same problem etc etc etc.. and I could have my bunny rifle in my hands for maybe 50% of the next year.... or I could resign myself to keeping the fekkin thing clean on a super regular basis and just carry on....

On the balance of time and motion, in my opinion, the latter is the better option.

I may think differently if it was a $4000 target rifle.. but, Meh..
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by ScottyD » 16 Oct 2019, 10:58 pm

Hmm, yeah sounds like a good way to approach it. Bit of a disappointment though.
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 17 Oct 2019, 3:18 am

CrackThump wrote:Meh... theres a bit of a story there.. when the misfire problem first started, I took it back to the shop, and under warranty had a local gunsmith go over it.. he said something along the lines of weak firing pin spring, so that was replaced under warranty, but next visit to the range and the misfires still occurring, I took some on the spot advice from the local brains trust.

Im sure theres an engineering explanation as to why the bolt face fouls up after (x) number of rounds and needs cleaning, and maybe this could be investigated and repaired under warranty, or replaced after many months of a professional looking at it, sending it back to me "fixed", me sending it back with the same problem etc etc etc.. and I could have my bunny rifle in my hands for maybe 50% of the next year.... or I could resign myself to keeping the fekkin thing clean on a super regular basis and just carry on....

On the balance of time and motion, in my opinion, the latter is the better option.

I may think differently if it was a $4000 target rifle.. but, Meh..

So there you are, walking out with your :22 and gear and you come across a few bunnies...and wabbbalies dome 50m away...the absolute first thing going through my head - s**t, I hope this thing works...no thanks.
If it’s a design flaw, I’d have a refund and move on.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Dazed and Confused » 13 Jun 2020, 7:38 pm

I picked up one of these recently. In fact it is the reason I joined this forum after reading this thread. (Hence the bumping of such an old thread)

I have only put 500 odd CCI standard rounds through it as well as a box of Federal Champion. Every round fired. I was also extremely impressed with the accuracy as I was only after a plinker and not something that would shot at comp level. I have planned to spend time tomorrow afternoon to see just how accurate it is over 25m and 50m. I might run it out at 100m if the desire for beer does not kick in. Ill post results.
Dazed and Confused
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 13 Jun 2020, 9:20 pm

Dazed and Confused wrote:I picked up one of these recently. In fact it is the reason I joined this forum after reading this thread. (Hence the bumping of such an old thread)

I have only put 500 odd CCI standard rounds through it as well as a box of Federal Champion. Every round fired. I was also extremely impressed with the accuracy as I was only after a plinker and not something that would shot at comp level. I have planned to spend time tomorrow afternoon to see just how accurate it is over 25m and 50m. I might run it out at 100m if the desire for beer does not kick in. Ill post results.

I’m a bit dazed and confused - your impressed with the accuracy but plan on seeing how accurate it really is ?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Dazed and Confused » 14 Jun 2020, 9:26 am

TassieTiger wrote:I’m a bit dazed and confused - your impressed with the accuracy but plan on seeing how accurate it really is ?

Plinking while standing, playing around shooting 5cm metal swing targets, shooting oranges and just having fun is totally different to bench shooting with a support bag onto paper targets.
Dazed and Confused
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 14 Jun 2020, 10:40 am

TassieTiger wrote:
Dazed and Confused wrote:I picked up one of these recently. In fact it is the reason I joined this forum after reading this thread. (Hence the bumping of such an old thread)

I’m a bit dazed and confused - your impressed with the accuracy but plan on seeing how accurate it really is ?

I don't see any conflict there. Much like buying a milsurp rifle, you never know how well it'll shoot until you try it, and you can be very pleased if it'll hold 2MoA. That doesn't obviate the interest in seeing whether you can get it shooting even better.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 14 Jun 2020, 10:47 am

Dazed and Confused wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:I’m a bit dazed and confused - your impressed with the accuracy but plan on seeing how accurate it really is ?

Plinking while standing, playing around shooting 5cm metal swing targets, shooting oranges and just having fun is totally different to bench shooting with a support bag onto paper targets.

But in Tassie's defence (& anyone else that read the post & had the same conclusion) you've already stated it has great accuracy...
So its fair to assume youve tested it--because youve said you have...
:)

Here...

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 14 Jun 2020, 10:58 am

Stix wrote:
Dazed and Confused wrote:

But in Tassie's defence (& anyone else that read the post & had the same conclusion) you've already stated it has great accuracy...
So its fair to assume youve tested it--because youve said you have...
:)

Here...

:drinks:

He said he put 500rds through it and was impressed with the accuracy, he did not say it was Olympic grade, or that he had done any accuracy testing at all.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles