NEW T3X NOT EJECTING BRASS

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

NEW T3X NOT EJECTING BRASS

Post by selaga » 01 Feb 2019, 1:44 pm

Hello fellow shooters,

New TIKKA T3X in 6.5 Swede not ejecting brass.

Went to the range first time with this rifle and tried it with 3 different brands, 2 bullets each and 6 out of 6 times it failed to eject the brass.

RO extracted them out for me from the chamber and told me brass wasn't tight and it was very easy to remove.

We inspected the chamber and bolt, both seem fine. Extractor has spring tension against it and so does the ejection pin.

One thing looked a bit odd (I might be wrong here), it seemed to me that the bolt face relief was about 1mm larger then the base diameter of the brass case, is this normal ?

As I am away, I thought I would ask fellow mwmbers for advise, before I make a trip down to the dealer and let them deal with it.

All suggestions welcome.

Cheers,

S
selaga
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: NEW T3X NOT EJECTING BRASS

Post by TheDude » 01 Feb 2019, 1:54 pm

Will it extract and eject unfired rounds?
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 01 Feb 2019, 2:08 pm

Hmm I wonder if the bolt face is for the magnum case take the bolt out and see if one fits when you get back .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by selaga » 01 Feb 2019, 2:08 pm

Didnt try with live ammo. Did try with dummy rounds/snap caps and same happens.
selaga
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 01 Feb 2019, 2:35 pm

look under the bolt handle and you'll find a 3 digit number, check that they are the same as the last 3 digits on the rifles S/N just in case the bolts been mixed up.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by southeast varmiter » 01 Feb 2019, 2:57 pm

Sounds like wrong bolt. Was rifle new boxed or “off the shelf” at dealers
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 01 Feb 2019, 3:52 pm

I reckon tikka should have had enough testing of action cycling during final quality control testing to ensure all was as supposed to be. Bolt mix up ... annoying warranty delay when you were looking fwd to useing a new toy
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by ponkychonk » 01 Feb 2019, 3:54 pm

Very interesting - my brand new T3X in .223 also completely fails to eject brass. Bought about 6 months ago, I have some bolt parts waiting at the smith but haven't gotten down to him to have it fixed yet. Smith reckons its a dodgy ejector.
ponkychonk
Private
Private

Other

Post by deye243 » 01 Feb 2019, 4:14 pm

Ejector or extractor
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by selaga » 01 Feb 2019, 4:34 pm

brett1868 wrote:look under the bolt handle and you'll find a 3 digit number, check that they are the same as the last 3 digits on the rifles S/N just in case the bolts been mixed up.

Thanks gents, didn't realise there was a S/N....Guess what they do not match. Looks like its for a 308 or similar as the face is just too big for the base of the brass. Checked other 2 rifles and they do match, mystery solved.....
selaga
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by selaga » 01 Feb 2019, 4:36 pm

Blr243 wrote:I reckon tikka should have had enough testing of action cycling during final quality control testing to ensure all was as supposed to be. Bolt mix up ... annoying warranty delay when you were looking fwd to useing a new toy

Yes I am on holidays so its a bit of a bummer.....

So do I ask for a replacement rifle as it is no longer a matched system ?

As its a leftie, I am hoping it got mixed up with other(s) that they may have in stock ?
selaga
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 01 Feb 2019, 5:03 pm

you are a very lucky boy :shock:
very lucky to not have had big problems with headspace :unknown: someone is looking after you
the swede case head is larger than 308, it has to be a magnum bolt if it is bigger :wtf:
ring the shop and tell them there has been a farkup :thumbsup:
I cant wait to here what they have to say :lol:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by selaga » 01 Feb 2019, 5:22 pm

Just had another look, didn't pick this up before.....T3X should have the metallic not plastic bolt shroud....

When I fired it ( 6 times) it felt OK and it chambered fine, just felt much louder than I recall (I had 6.5 Swede before)....I'll take some measurements with the micrometer just for comparison.

As for responses from the gun shop, will keep you posted, don't anticipate any issues as I spent close to $10K with them in last 12 months. Plus wife is a lawyer (as a backup), so can not hurt.
selaga
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 01 Feb 2019, 5:25 pm

brett1868 wrote:look under the bolt handle and you'll find a 3 digit number, check that they are the same as the last 3 digits on the rifles S/N just in case the bolts been mixed up.

Great trouble shooting, it would have taken me a long time to figure that out.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 01 Feb 2019, 5:53 pm

:crazy:

Sheesh...

Thats a big bit of a stuff-up from a shop...!!! :wtf:

Wrong bolt from an old model in completely different chambering...Bloody hell...!!

I wonder how the other guys gun is firing... :unknown: maybe.he's got a 30-06 shoot'n 243 ammo with sloppy groups...:lol:
I shouldnt make jokes...wrong bolt...thats appalling...!!
roll:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 01 Feb 2019, 6:49 pm

selaga wrote:

Thanks gents, didn't realise there was a S/N....Guess what they do not match. Looks like its for a 308 or similar as the face is just too big for the base of the brass. Checked other 2 rifles and they do match, mystery solved.....

Looks l might have been right as the sweed is a larger head than a 308 .... 308 is .473 sweed is .480 and mag is .532
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 01 Feb 2019, 7:17 pm

That was the first thing I thought of too, been there and done that with a couple of my Howas :lol:

fired fine but just couldn't get it to extract, had me stuffed for a while until I looke at the bolt face and realised it had the wrong bolt.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 01 Feb 2019, 7:19 pm

selaga wrote:Just had another look, didn't pick this up before.....T3X should have the metallic not plastic bolt shroud....

When I fired it ( 6 times) it felt OK and it chambered fine, just felt much louder than I recall (I had 6.5 Swede before)....I'll take some measurements with the micrometer just for comparison.

As for responses from the gun shop, will keep you posted, don't anticipate any issues as I spent close to $10K with them in last 12 months. Plus wife is a lawyer (as a backup), so can not hurt.

You won't have any issues mate, they clearly stuffed up - at least it's an easy fix hey. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 02 Feb 2019, 1:53 pm

Yay...I helped :) That's my good deed done for the year.

Report back once you talk to the shop as I'd be interested to hear how they handle this.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 02 Feb 2019, 2:24 pm

Nice work mate. Nailed it. :thumbsup:
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by selaga » 03 Feb 2019, 7:36 am

Update. Gun shop did the right thing and luckily it was sorted. Bolt was off a T3 300 winnag they they had on lay-bys at their other store. All numbers matched across both rifles and bolts combos. New bolt is T3X with metallic shroud.

If they didn’t find matching bolt they offered a new rifle and to take care of paperwork.

Owner came and saw me and was clearly pissed about what happened.

As a final gesture they gave me couple of boxes of ammo.

Happy Chappy now.
selaga
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 03 Feb 2019, 7:56 am

Pretty bloody average mate, nevertheless, mistakes do happen and at least they did the right thing and chucked in a sweetener on top.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 03 Feb 2019, 8:25 am

Is a dealer stuff up not a factory thing. Dealer should be able to run the last 3 numbers through their registry computer and find the other gun and probably your bolt.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 03 Feb 2019, 11:21 am

selaga wrote:Update. Gun shop did the right thing and luckily it was sorted. Bolt was off a T3 300 winnag they they had on lay-bys at their other store. All numbers matched across both rifles and bolts combos. New bolt is T3X with metallic shroud.

If they didn’t find matching bolt they offered a new rifle and to take care of paperwork.

Owner came and saw me and was clearly pissed about what happened.

As a final gesture they gave me couple of boxes of ammo.

Happy Chappy now.

very cheap fix for the gun shop owner :wtf:
may have been a good doctors bill and a new rifle :drinks:
the RO at the range should have picked it up :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 03 Feb 2019, 11:26 am

Good to hear it got sorted mate.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by ponkychonk » 03 Feb 2019, 3:22 pm

Just checked my bolt serial number as well due to Homer's advice; mine match so will assume it is in fact a dodgy ejector.
ponkychonk
Private
Private

Other

Post by bigfellascott » 03 Feb 2019, 4:05 pm

ponkychonk wrote:Just checked my bolt serial number as well due to Homer's advice; mine match so will assume it is in fact a dodgy ejector.

How olds the rifle mate? if might just be a bit of brass stuck behind the ejector stopping it from working right. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by ponkychonk » 04 Feb 2019, 4:53 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
ponkychonk wrote:Just checked my bolt serial number as well due to Homer's advice; mine match so will assume it is in fact a dodgy ejector.

How olds the rifle mate? if might just be a bit of brass stuck behind the ejector stopping it from working right. :thumbsup:

Absolutely brand new. Smith replaced the ejector and boom, works perfectly.
ponkychonk
Private
Private

Other

Post by marksman » 04 Feb 2019, 6:04 pm

good to see you have it sorted :thumbsup:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 04 Feb 2019, 6:16 pm

Glad to hear mate
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Next