Hair

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Hair

Post by Gaznazdiak » 02 Feb 2019, 3:10 pm

Veiwers are advised that the following contains content whose irrelevance they may find offensive.

Been polishing a particularly nice batch today and you have to make sure everything is going ok, this requires diligent taste testing.

While testing hell out of this batch I rubbed my head and realized it was past time for a shave, my brain cell got to thinking about hair and wondering why so many blokes seem to have the ideal of a full head of hair psychologically entangled with manhood, as though anything less and they were somehow diminished.

I've got a full head of very thick hair that I've been shaving for decades and I've seen guys with the most amazing things on their head.
My first memory of the US was a catastrophically bad plug job on the taxi driver that tòok us from LAX to Hollywood. It looked like a dolls head.
Last time I was in town I saw a guy with obvious male pattern baldness that he was trying to cover with the worst toupee I've ever seen, it looked like he'd slapped a badly fitted merkin on there, with baldy bits visible under and through it.

Do we have any other head shavers? :unknown:

Do we have anyone willing to explain the need to hide their scalp? :unknown:

I think this calls for more testing :drinks:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Re: Hair

Post by Rod_outbak » 02 Feb 2019, 3:51 pm

Funny you should mention this...

First shaved my head about 17 years back..
I figured that if I was going bald, I may as well embrace it...

I was explaining to a niece the other day, that I firmly believe that every person should shave their head at least once in their lives.
There is a mind-set that you have to break through about how you look, and until you've shaved your head, you cant see how fixated you get about your hair, and how frivolous that fixation is.

[Niece was FIRMLY reluctant about the idea]

Once you've shaved your noggin, it's no biggy to repeat.
But that first time is like you'll DIE for people to see you nekkid on top...
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Feb 2019, 4:09 pm

All I can say is I have looked like my avata for about 5 years now. Beats the friar tuck look. Lol
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 02 Feb 2019, 4:22 pm

full head of hair,,sorry guy's :D but i do trim it down to 'one' at least once a year to show sympathy to all you folically ,foliicaly, falicly,,bald buggers out there,,if its any consolation my manly mane is that white that i look bald :drinks: :lol:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Gaznazdiak » 02 Feb 2019, 4:26 pm

I try to explain it as the breeze on a freshly shaved scalp being akin to the feeling of skinny dipping.

I would love to see what's going on under the Donald's mighty combover/around/across.

Mention of the big D's bouffant coiffure reminds me of an ancient Maltese my Mum used to have.
Poor old guy had a small stroke and became a little incontinent and his normally white hair got badly piss stained from errant drainage.
It was exactly the same colour as the Don's :lol:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 02 Feb 2019, 4:41 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:Veiwers are advised that the following contains content whose irrelevance they may find offensive.

Been polishing a particularly nice batch today and you have to make sure everything is going ok, this requires diligent taste testing.

While testing hell out of this batch I rubbed my head and realized it was past time for a shave, my brain cell got to thinking about hair and wondering why so many blokes seem to have the ideal of a full head of hair psychologically entangled with manhood, as though anything less and they were somehow diminished.

I've got a full head of very thick hair that I've been shaving for decades and I've seen guys with the most amazing things on their head.
My first memory of the US was a catastrophically bad plug job on the taxi driver that tòok us from LAX to Hollywood. It looked like a dolls head.
Last time I was in town I saw a guy with obvious male pattern baldness that he was trying to cover with the worst toupee I've ever seen, it looked like he'd slapped a badly fitted merkin on there, with baldy bits visible under and through it.

Do we have any other head shavers? :unknown:

Do we have anyone willing to explain the need to hide their scalp? :unknown:

I think this calls for more testing :drinks:

I don't recall the last time I had an actual shave but probably around 2003-ish. I just use a beard trimmer to cut it back every month or so, but there's no rule. When it annoys me too much I'll trim it. I've had a moustache since I was about twenty I think, but again, that gets removed when it annoys me as well.

As for up top, I'm probably in the male-pattern baldness region now. I generally wear a hat or cap, but not for appearance. I tend to bang my bonce on anything and everything, so without a cover I'm always bleeding, even back when I had hair. A cap just gives me the minimal protection I need. I also don't wear sunglasses, so the brim of a cap or hat is how I shade my eyes, just like the old days. As my hair has receded I've also noticed how much sting the sun can have on the pink solar panel :-)

I doubt I would ever consider shaving my nut for the same reason I don't bother shaving my face, too much effort, and I can't see it anyway :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 02 Feb 2019, 4:58 pm

tom604 wrote:full head of hair,,sorry guy's :D but i do trim it down to 'one' at least once a year to show sympathy to all you folically ,foliicaly, falicly,,bald buggers out there,,if its any consolation my manly mane is that white that i look bald :drinks: :lol:

:lol: yep every couple of months a number one over the head cause I'm too bloody tight to pay a barber or hair dresser and a clipper over the face every fortnight or so is plenty.
Although there's a sh@tload of white in tue beard now so it might become once a week.
:lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 02 Feb 2019, 5:09 pm

It's the feeling though, Blade, just like that free feeling when you're skinny dipping and the boys are floating about doing their own, unconfined thing :lol:
The only time it was a drama was during Opera Aust 1999 season of Tosca in Sydney.
I had to wear a wig, so the lack of hair was handy, but the wig fitter had a disturbing(and short lived) propensity for rubbing my scone with his hand and telling me how good it felt.
I explained that the fore part of my head would not feel so good to him if he did the rubbing thing again.
Very quiet in the wig room from then on, but there was no more rubbing.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 02 Feb 2019, 5:20 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:It's the feeling though, Blade, just like that free feeling when you're skinny dipping and the boys are floating about doing their own, unconfined thing :lol:

I've never worn underwear so my boys are always doing their own thing :-)
I spent most of my adult life wearing boots and Stubbies shorts, and nothing else :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 02 Feb 2019, 6:18 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Gaznazdiak wrote:It's the feeling though, Blade, just like that free feeling when you're skinny dipping and the boys are floating about doing their own, unconfined thing :lol:

I've never worn underwear so my boys are always doing their own thing :-)
I spent most of my adult life wearing boots and Stubbies shorts, and nothing else :-)

:lol: :lol:

You'd have done the hairy egg peep a few times then.

I was on the vertical railway in Katoomba with a mate, hot and humid weather, had the big baggy legged type shorts on and 3 girls a couple of rows below us kept turning and looking our way and my mate and I were getting the idea they were checking us out.
Until I noticed a certain subtle difference in the boy's parking arrangements, one of them was getting a sly bit of sunbaking done.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by hzj80 » 02 Feb 2019, 6:35 pm

I suppose I could get a haircut this year. Come to think of it, I did have one last year so maybe there's no need to rush into it.
hzj80
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by bladeracer » 02 Feb 2019, 7:05 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:You'd have done the hairy egg peep a few times then.

Yep, they get plenty of sun :-)
One guy sent me out to do a pergola and every time I got up on top the woman would come out and have a seat. Later on he'd told me that he'd told her what to expect, and she didn't seem to want miss out!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 02 Feb 2019, 7:19 pm

I was screwed from early age both side are follically challenged my hair stared to fall out when i was 18. Not much point complaining about it, keep ot short and get on with things. Docs have also said that my t levels are 40 points higher than a normal person. Its a hard life being a Alpha. :lol:
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 02 Feb 2019, 7:47 pm

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:I was screwed from early age both side are follically challenged my hair stared to fall out when i was 18. Not much point complaining about it, keep ot short and get on with things. Docs have also said that my t levels are 40 points higher than a normal person. Its a hard life being a Alpha. :lol:

Keep up the good work there Azza, someone's got to do it :thumbsup:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 03 Feb 2019, 7:22 am

bladeracer wrote:
Gaznazdiak wrote:You'd have done the hairy egg peep a few times then.

Yep, they get plenty of sun :-)
One guy sent me out to do a pergola and every time I got up on top the woman would come out and have a seat. Later on he'd told me that he'd told her what to expect, and she didn't seem to want miss out!

Living in the far north ya soon learn jocks =ball rash ...I haven't worn them since I was old enough to choose. Before that I remember dads cure all for the rash was to wash the affected area un vinegar. .. :cry:
When I was taking the tours up north I got a couple of comments on things playing peekaboo when on top of the bus unloading swags etc. :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 03 Feb 2019, 10:22 am

It amazes me that all your bodies preconceived timings are pretty much predetermined by DNA....What “trigger” told that hair to go grey? What trigger told that hair fokicle to let go? Won’t be long before those triggers are reversible or able to be told something else...

Reminds of a joke.
Old guy sitting on a bench staring incessantly at a kid with pink green and blue hair...
Kid says what’s up old timer, never done anything wild in your life.
Old guy says, yep - farket a parrot once and was just wondering if you might be my kid...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 03 Feb 2019, 11:58 am

Gees...
You boys have no shame...!!!

The way i read it, this started as a thread for guys to express their need to cover up their baldness...

And its morphed into some guys clambering over ladders & busses with their nail bag & hammer dangling in the open vision of poor onlookers... :wtf:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well i was a rock star in my younger days ( :lol: ) & had long hair...always down my back, on my shoulders & in my eyes...

I still have the hair on my back shoulders & in my eyes, but now it comes from those parts of the body & not my head...
For example the hair in my eyes is from my eye brows now... :lol:

Id love the long hsir back again...the girls & women loved it... :D
But im a little unsure that the 'Bill Bailey' look will do my keeping a firesrms licence any justice... :lol:

And the grey...WTF happened there...??
Ive always been a stubble wearer--always seen shaving as a waste of time & not a fan of a beard so ive always hacked it off with clippers...
What is fashionable now, with the few dsys growth look, i was doing 25 yrs ago & getting told i need to conform to others opinions & have a shave...yea rite...!!!...me...? :lol:
Ive been through a good few sets of clippers over the nearly 3 decades of being told im a scruff...:thumbsup:

Little did they know i was really a trend setter...!!! :lol:

I was sharing a house with a female while i did some work on mine, & one dsy i noticed a bit of white in the dustpan from sweeping up the hair...
I thought it must have been from the sheila using talc powder... :unknown:

Six months later & my face is white... :wtf: ...it wasnt talc powder after all... :lol:

I wear a hat always as i work outdoors.
Some people apparently know me better & insist i wear a cap to cover up the skin scon, but the reality is the hat has become like pants & keys...if i havnt got it on i feel naked...
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gaznazdiak » 03 Feb 2019, 2:40 pm

Good onya Stix.

OK, let's push it even further.

We are the most "evolved" primate but things have reversed for us in the hair dept.
Our primate cousins like Chimp and Bonobo are covered in hair except for their face and their bum.
We have lost almost all our body hair except for.....our face and our bum. (Yes, on the head too but apes have that so it doesn't count)

Yet we have hair around the blurter, guaranteed to catch crap. Chimps are bare all around.

I've heard scientists trying to relate their religious beliefs with centuries of scientific evidence by calling evolution "Intelligent Design".
Not too bright a spot to put hair if your designing a critter that poops

One of my neices worked in body grooming before she started in aged nursing and was totally grossed out by the number of blokes wanting a "back, crack and sack" wax.
She said that as bad as they were, it was the sweaty fat women that creeped her the most.

Damn, went and creeped myself out now.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by tom604 » 03 Feb 2019, 4:44 pm

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:I was screwed from early age both side are follically challenged my hair stared to fall out when i was 18. Not much point complaining about it, keep ot short and get on with things. Docs have also said that my t levels are 40 points higher than a normal person. Its a hard life being a Alpha. :lol:

got a mate like that,,all that testosterone and still not man enough to grow hair :unknown: :unknown: :P :thumbsup:

he does have a ship load on his body ,,call him silver back :lol: :lol:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 03 Feb 2019, 4:48 pm

TassieTiger wrote:It amazes me that all your bodies preconceived timings are pretty much predetermined by DNA....What “trigger” told that hair to go grey? What trigger told that hair fokicle to let go? Won’t be long before those triggers are reversible or able to be told something else...

Reminds of a joke.
Old guy sitting on a bench staring incessantly at a kid with pink green and blue hair...
Kid says what’s up old timer, never done anything wild in your life.
Old guy says, yep - farket a parrot once and was just wondering if you might be my kid...

:-)

I have a deformity from birth. I have a single cell on the side of my left index finger between the knuckles that insists it's a finger nail. Every few months I have to tweezer it out as it starts to feel like a splinter and gets snagged on material. We are a complex machine so it takes a few thousand generations to sort everything out. Our electrical systems are particularly trouble-prone :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 03 Feb 2019, 5:04 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:Good onya Stix.

OK, let's push it even further.

We are the most "evolved" primate but things have reversed for us in the hair dept.
Our primate cousins like Chimp and Bonobo are covered in hair except for their face and their bum.
We have lost almost all our body hair except for.....our face and our bum. (Yes, on the head too but apes have that so it doesn't count)

Yet we have hair around the blurter, guaranteed to catch crap. Chimps are bare all around.

I've heard scientists trying to relate their religious beliefs with centuries of scientific evidence by calling evolution "Intelligent Design".
Not too bright a spot to put hair if your designing a critter that poops

One of my neices worked in body grooming before she started in aged nursing and was totally grossed out by the number of blokes wanting a "back, crack and sack" wax.
She said that as bad as they were, it was the sweaty fat women that creeped her the most.

Damn, went and creeped myself out now.

So then...a business idea...

We can call it..."Mulesing For Men"... :shock:

Our slogan could be..."Dag Free For Life"...

Sales points could be...
"Why wax every month when with just one visit to Mulesing for Men, you will be hair & Flystrike free for life..."

"Save thousands on toilet paper...& stainless wire brushes..."

Join the one wipe club...millions of sheep cant be wrong...!!! :clap:

Id better leave it there... :roll:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 03 Feb 2019, 7:57 pm

tom604 wrote:

got a mate like that,,all that testosterone and still not man enough to grow hair :unknown: :unknown: :P :thumbsup:

he does have a ship load on his body ,,call him silver back :lol: :lol:

Soumds a little like my back
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Feb 2019, 6:40 am

Scientific fact.

The heigher the testosterone levels the less hair on top.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 04 Feb 2019, 8:12 am

This is definitely one of the more unusual subjects I’ve seen on this forum. Hair ? I’m of scot and Irish descent , and look like a extra out of the “brave heart “ movie if I let my beard grow and don’t have a haircut. The grass isn’t always greener on the other side, sweating in summer isn’t fun, I spend money on haircuts ( I don’t mind when some foxy young hairdresser does the cut though ;) ), and unclogging the shower drain of hair clogging is tiresome . :lol: My damn akubra won’t even fit on my big hairy melon head at times! Be careful what you wish for my less hairy brethren

:thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 05 Feb 2019, 4:45 pm

If I let my hair get to long it looks like that Redfoo clown. Big boofy hair everywhere, but I keep it well under control just as I did in the military. Old habits die hard I guess.
Am wondering why it starts growing on your back and guts as you get older though. Turning into an ape.
:violin: :lol: :lol:
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 06 Feb 2019, 10:06 pm

100_4973.JPG
100_4973.JPG (456.42 KiB) Viewed 4886 times
Speaking of stuff on shaved noggins,,,,,,,,,,,
Here's my contribution.

In need of another round with the razor at time of taking pic, but hey,,,,,,,, I've bin shaving it for nearly 8 years, and won't stop now.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 07 Feb 2019, 9:19 am

JimTom wrote:If I let my hair get to long it looks like that Redfoo clown. Big boofy hair everywhere, but I keep it well under control just as I did in the military. Old habits die hard I guess.
Am wondering why it starts growing on your back and guts as you get older though. Turning into an ape.
:violin: :lol: :lol:

Mate, I got heaps of nose hair, I’ve actually got to trim it so I can breathe properly in my sleep. What really worries is getting older and getting lots of weird hair growing in my ears :lol: Refoo? :lol: yeah what a idiot :lol:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 07 Feb 2019, 3:34 pm

As my very bald mate likes to say
"Ya cant grow hair on steel" :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 07 Feb 2019, 5:33 pm

Any of you hairy faced types use anything on the face fuzz?

I've had a bushy Chopper style mustache for most of my life, just washed it with soap and it's always been a wirey, unruly bastard of a thing.

A mate of mine is a bit of a hipster type facial hair trainer, no sh!t, he has the fully styled beard waxed mustache, the works. I asked him how he keeps all that wirey growth so well controlled.

I'm not interested in the borderline female routine he goes through with it so he suggested some beard oil.

Got some today. Holy hell, what an improvement.

Now I'm one of those dinosaurs that think men's cosmetic products are only a couple of steps short of bum-banditry, so this is a total eye opener.

It's a little wierd and oily while it's soaking in but then the hair softens up and you can comb that hairy bastard any which way you like and it stays there.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 07 Feb 2019, 7:47 pm

beard oil gaz ? i dunno about that mate . i used to get a dose of penrite HPR-30 everytime i used to change the oil on me 308 HQ holden. doesn't work as well since i got a toyota deisel . thinner bloody oil ya see.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation