Wet Season on steroids near Townsville...

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Wet Season on steroids near Townsville...

Post by Rod_outbak » 30 Jan 2019, 5:40 pm

Have you seen the rainfall just West of Townsville?

There's an auto-raingauge that is running faster than a cat snorting speed with his morning espresso as he runs past Roddys' house!

Just incrementing past 219mm since 9am this morning, so thats about 8 and a half hours...
And they'd clocked just over 200mm BEFORE 9am!

Freaking wet for that area...

I'd just be happy with maybe 5 or even 10% of that??
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Wet Season on steroids near Townsville...

Post by Daddybang » 30 Jan 2019, 5:52 pm

Yep she's a wet one alright. Hopefully out your way will see some in the next day or two? :unknown:
We're just waiting for it to turn around and head back this way with all the catchments completely soaked it'll be an interesting weekend around our area and we've still got February and March to go!! :shock: :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 30 Jan 2019, 6:09 pm

Daddybang wrote:Yep she's a wet one alright. Hopefully out your way will see some in the next day or two? :unknown:
We're just waiting for it to turn around and head back this way with all the catchments completely soaked it'll be an interesting weekend around our area and we've still got February and March to go!! :shock: :lol: :drinks:

DADDYBANG , THOU SHALST BUILD A ENORMOUS TINNY BOAT FROM OLD ROOFING SHEETS AND FENCING WIRE , THEN GATHER UP ALL THE ANIMALS TWO BY TWO............ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 31 Jan 2019, 4:49 am

Ya ever worry about crocs getting around in floodwaters DB ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 31 Jan 2019, 5:13 am

There was a croc yesterday walking up the highway just up the road. They do get around in the flood waters. Just another good reason to stay out of them.
Reckon the Barra will be in the chew shortly. Season opens in a day or two.
Hoping some of this rain gets out your way Rod. Should be put to Richmond and down as far as Longreach today.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 31 Jan 2019, 6:45 am

Yeah; we've had light rain through the night. I doubt we've cracked even 10mm, but then I dont really want the bucketing over near Townsville!

Looking at the satellite (Longreach radar thoughtfully went toes-up yesterday morning, and expected repair date is maybe 6th feb??), it looks like we indeed might see rain coming down from Richmond/ Hughenden.
Not expecting huge amounts, but then huge amounts would kill what livestock are still alive...

It looks like we might be seeing stormy weather for a week or two; that looks hopeful!
A nice gloomy start to the day.
All the frogs that hang around the landing light have phukked off overnight; getting ready for the big frorgy in the creeks tonight?
There were 4 of them there when I went to bed around 10pm.
Even 'Espresso frog' (lives in the kitchen wall behind the espresso machine, and keeps yodelling for a 'Triple shot with extra froth PRONTO!' when I steam the milk) has gone silent; getting ready for the big hop (~250 metres).

I hope they are proven right...
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 31 Jan 2019, 7:30 am

bigrich wrote:Ya ever worry about crocs getting around in floodwaters DB ?

Not so much where I am mate. Salties are not a naturally occurring animal on around here. Occasionally see freshies down the barron but they're fairly harmless unless ya try to handle or agitate them. Any Salties found have either been transported and released by f@#kwits or escaped from the farm. :thumbsup: :drinks:

Hey Jim Tom that the one in Tully ya talking about?
Had to laugh at the news calling it a 3 1/2 meter monster. ..looked like it'd be lucky to get 3m!!!! :lol: :lol:
Yep the fresh water will be flushing out the rivers and bazza will be boofin!!!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 31 Jan 2019, 7:35 am

Rod_outbak wrote:Yeah; we've had light rain through the night. I doubt we've cracked even 10mm, but then I dont really want the bucketing over near Townsville!

Looking at the satellite (Longreach radar thoughtfully went toes-up yesterday morning, and expected repair date is maybe 6th feb??), it looks like we indeed might see rain coming down from Richmond/ Hughenden.
Not expecting huge amounts, but then huge amounts would kill what livestock are still alive...

It looks like we might be seeing stormy weather for a week or two; that looks hopeful!
A nice gloomy start to the day.
All the frogs that hang around the landing light have phukked off overnight; getting ready for the big frorgy in the creeks tonight?
There were 4 of them there when I went to bed around 10pm.
Even 'Espresso frog' (lives in the kitchen wall behind the espresso machine, and keeps yodelling for a 'Triple shot with extra froth PRONTO!' when I steam the milk) has gone silent; getting ready for the big hop (~250 metres).

I hope they are proven right...

Heres hopin some nice light constant water comes ya way Rod. :thumbsup: :drinks:

And to think Tassies a bloody inferno from what I've seen on tv!!!!
Best of luck with it to all the members down that way!!! :thumbsup: :friends: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 31 Jan 2019, 7:38 am

bigrich wrote:
Daddybang wrote:Yep she's a wet one alright. Hopefully out your way will see some in the next day or two? :unknown:

DADDYBANG , THOU SHALST BUILD A ENORMOUS TINNY BOAT FROM OLD ROOFING SHEETS AND FENCING WIRE , THEN GATHER UP ALL THE ANIMALS TWO BY TWO............ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :friends: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 31 Jan 2019, 4:49 pm

Daddybang wrote:
bigrich wrote:Ya ever worry about crocs getting around in floodwaters DB ?

Not so much where I am mate. Salties are not a naturally occurring animal on around here. Occasionally see freshies down the barron but they're fairly harmless unless ya try to handle or agitate them. Any Salties found have either been transported and released by f@#kwits or escaped from the farm. :thumbsup: :drinks:

Hey Jim Tom that the one in Tully ya talking about?
Had to laugh at the news calling it a 3 1/2 meter monster. ..looked like it'd be lucky to get 3m!!!! :lol: :lol:
Yep the fresh water will be flushing out the rivers and bazza will be boofin!!!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :drinks:

Yeah that would be the one mate, I thought it was Ingham but yep may well have been Tully. Yeah didn’t look like a monster either. Not like the media to sensationalise an article. ;-) still he was a bit to big to be in the water with.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 01 Feb 2019, 6:28 am

Ya not wrong JT I reckon salties are to big to swim with when they hatch....they come out bloody snappin!! :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 01 Feb 2019, 8:29 am

You fellas up north better stock up on beer, it could be forty days and nights . Ya started on that ginormous tinny/ ark yet DB ? lol
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 01 Feb 2019, 8:32 am

When ya gather up all the critters two by two, make sure ya leave the politicians behind, don’t want them b@stards breeding up again. Unfortunately, they’ll probably survive, cause cr@p floats. LOL
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 01 Feb 2019, 8:44 am

bigrich wrote:You fellas up north better stock up on beer, it could be forty days and nights . Ya started on that ginormous tinny/ ark yet DB ? lol

bigrich wrote:When ya gather up all the critters two by two, make sure ya leave the politicians behind, don’t want them b@stards breeding up again. Unfortunately, they’ll probably survive, cause cr@p floats. LOL

Got an emergency beer drop organized for this morning mate!!! :D (we've been cut off again for the last two days and I'm down to my last six pack:lol: )
:thumbsup: :drinks:
Poliscum will come in handy to feed the pigs on board. .they'll eat sh@t!!! :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 01 Feb 2019, 10:01 am

Has anyone told Tim Flannery?
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 01 Feb 2019, 10:06 am

Noisydad wrote:Has anyone told Tim Flannery?

Who's he Noisy?? :unknown: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 02 Feb 2019, 9:12 am

You getting any of this rain yet Rod?
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 02 Feb 2019, 5:01 pm

The Diamantina is flooding. ..it never rains on the dusty Diamantina!!!. :D :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 02 Feb 2019, 5:20 pm

We wouldnt have cracked anywhere near an inch (25mm) so far, and I doubt we'll get much beyond an inch at the very most.
[Unless it all changes around some more, which is possible.]
Light misty showers most of this afternoon, but you could still drive to town if need be at this stage..

That thing North of Mount Isa looks like it's sending stuff our way, but not really sure it will get here.

Besides; I expect we will start losing livestock if we get much more than 75mm.. Too big a shock for them, until they get some grass to eat.
One good thing; it will likely nail a heap more roos.
The roos havent been coping well with the last few rain events, and they were a lot shorter than this one.

I'm not too unhappy with where we are at as far as rain right now; we couldnt deal with the deluge around Townsville. It would likely be more destructive than another 6 months of drought, for us right now..
Softly Softly.

Niece works as a governess on a property up on the Daimantina near Kynuna; the family were supposed to be heading back this weekend. Yesterday, she was advised it would be Tuesday, as the family were stuck in Charters Towers. NOW; it's looking like this week might be a write-off, and even next week might be in question...
I dont think anyone is overly upset, but I'm glad we arent getting as much rain as they are up there. Not until the sheep are bit stronger...
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 03 Feb 2019, 7:39 am

I've seen a lot of wet seasons from Hedland to the Cape and I can't remember ever seeing a monsoon trough sit in one spot(more or less) for as long as this one has. :unknown: :drinks:
Good to hear ya getting some of it rod hopefully it will stay light the way ya need it. :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 03 Feb 2019, 7:44 am

Yeah mate the system is more or less stationary over Townsville. I have looked at the modelling and as it eventually moves away over the sea it starts to spin up. Cyclone??? Let’s bloody well hope not. I shudder to think what that would do to the place considering everything already saturated. Wouldn’t be a tree left standing.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 03 Feb 2019, 8:14 am

You all good down there JT?..Cyclone is very likely if the low moves over water. ..With the ground being so wet even a cat 1 will do a lot of damage. :thumbsdown:
Townsville is definitely taking one for the team this year we've actually got blue sky this morning :D although we haven't seen a qtr of the rain you guys have. :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 03 Feb 2019, 8:58 am

Trying to get home from work today mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 03 Feb 2019, 10:12 am

You know it's sad, we have big bushfires in tassie, a decent bushfire in gippsland and big qty in qld.. if you check melbourne newspapers no mention of them except the gippsland one.

Dunno if the tv news is any different, as I don't really get to watch it
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 03 Feb 2019, 1:07 pm

I’d say regional issues in other states would barely rate a mention in the big city mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 03 Feb 2019, 5:11 pm

Dam at 238% capacity. Gotta wonder how much more it can take before it fails.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 03 Feb 2019, 5:43 pm

I just saw they're gonna open the spill fully at 8:30 pm. That's gonna put a LOT of water in the streets from the city out through the suburbs. Did you end up getting home JT??
stay safe . :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 03 Feb 2019, 6:00 pm

Thanks mate I made it back this arvo. I think we might be in a little bit of strife when they open the gates fully. They don’t have a choice though, got to get some water out of dam.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 03 Feb 2019, 7:18 pm

Hopefully you will be alright tonight mate :drinks:
I reckon the view from castle hill would be worth seeing(if the rds to it aren't flooded)
:drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 03 Feb 2019, 7:56 pm

Would be a sight to behold I’d reckon but impossible to get there. Have the boat ready incase we need it.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation