M18 Mauser best chambering config?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

M18 Mauser best chambering config?

Post by bah » 05 Feb 2019, 8:01 pm

Hi there,

I'm looking to purchase the M18 Mauser whilst my M12 is on backorder. Can anyone advise what the best chambering config would be for some short to medium to long range target shooting? Preferably something with ammunition that is in the cheap to mid-range of affordability.

Cheers

BAH
bah
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: M18 Mauser best chambering config?

Post by SCJ429 » 06 Feb 2019, 6:44 am

6mm BR, 300WSM?

The obvious answer is 223 but I am guessing that is not what you want to hear.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 06 Feb 2019, 7:17 am

Just remember this... exotic = expensive
It may surprise you to learn that the vast majority of proper target shooting utilises the 308 cartridge.
It generally ticks all the boxes for power, range, costs etc.
Target ammo, for those 'in the know', is available quite cheaply.
As far a rifle accuracy is concerned don't expect miracles from inexpensive rifles and inexpensive ammo although they sometimes do happen but rarely on a consistent basis.
Exotic calibers sometimes do some aspects of shooting a little better than standard calibers but are subject to occasional shortages in components and sometimes outrageous prices.
After examining the Mauser brochure I quite like the concept of the M18 and in complete contradiction to what I have just said I would buy one but only if it were available in 8x68s.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 06 Feb 2019, 7:25 am

7mm rem mag :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Bill » 06 Feb 2019, 9:12 am

just grab 1 in 308, they can be had for less than $900. Nick Harvey wrote that the 308 M18 he tested was probably the most accurate factory 308 he had ever fired.

Ammo's cheap, gun wont break the bank and it comes with a 5 shot MOA guarantee, something not even McTikka offers with their base T3X. Waste more money on better Optics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FDTCgKvq9w
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by axio » 06 Feb 2019, 8:14 pm

My pick would be 308, I own one, let me know if you want to know anything about it?

Looking around adverts the only calibers I've seen this sold in Aus currently are: 243WIN. 270WIN, 308WIN, 30-06
& 300 WIN MAG

7mm Rem mag and 6.5 creedmoor versions exist in reviews on the interwebs but havn't seen them advertised here.

Shame no Euro calibers though
axio
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 06 Feb 2019, 8:33 pm

axio wrote:My pick would be 308, I own one, let me know if you want to know anything about it?

What projectiles are you using in your 308 and over what ranges are you shooting in competition?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by axio » 06 Feb 2019, 9:11 pm

SCJ429 wrote:
axio wrote:My pick would be 308, I own one, let me know if you want to know anything about it?

What projectiles are you using in your 308 and over what ranges are you shooting in competition?

It seems to like 165gr Sierra GameKings but i'm at early stages with it so havn't tested many yet. Hornady 178gr ELD-X look like a good contender to test next.

Oh and only bought it as a carry around hunting rifle, though should go well in competition if you don't need to fire too many rounds (keeping in mind sporter barrel heating up fast)

There are a few nice things I like about it so i'll just put them in point form
> Action is buttery smooth for a budget rifle
> Trigger is crisp, 2.5lbs confirmed on the trigger gauge
> 5 round Magazine sits flush and release catch is not easily bumped out (pain in the ass on my Howa)
> At 2.9KGs minus scope and rings it is very light but recoil is easily manageable off a bench
> Can top load magazine easily
> Cool little storage bit in the buttstock, looks like it'll fit a few cigarettes or boresnake
axio
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 06 Feb 2019, 9:39 pm

straightshooter wrote:Just remember this... exotic = expensive
It may surprise you to learn that the vast majority of proper target shooting utilises the 308 cartridge.

What is the proper target shooting where the vast majority use a 308? Is this in competitions where only 308 is permitted? I don't see a 308 doing very well at short range where a PPC is allowed. At longer ranges the 6mm excels.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 07 Feb 2019, 5:34 am

SCJ429 if you read what the OP wrote I reckon he isn't referring some bench rest comp but informal target shooting which we all do.

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 07 Feb 2019, 7:00 am

Thanks Bill,

I did say a 223 would be his best bet. I think it is misleading to tell him that a 308 is used for most "proper target" shooting. At most competition shoot you may not see a single 308 and certainly not see one win unless it is in a F Class TR competition reserved for 308 and 223 chambered rifles.

For informal target shooting when you are starting out, from 100 to 200 a 222 with a 1:14 twist would be hard to beat. For medium distances, 300 to 600 the 223 with a 1:14 twist is a proven performer.

Compared to the 6mm and 6.5mm chamberings the 308 is more difficult to shoot well.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 07 Feb 2019, 7:30 am

SCJ429 wrote:
straightshooter wrote:Just remember this... exotic = expensive

What is the proper target shooting where the vast majority use a 308? Is this in competitions where only 308 is permitted? I don't see a 308 doing very well at short range where a PPC is allowed. At longer ranges the 6mm excels.

It seems you are oblivious to fullbore shooting. Yes it is restricted to 308 and 223 but it is the most populous form of organised target shooting in Australia and is not to be confused with the 'glorified plinking' that is accepted as target shooting on most forums. By comparison formal benchrest, fly shoots and PRS are minuscule in numbers of participants.
If you reread the original post you will see that what I have suggested is a good general fit to the poster's specification and not the current idea I may be infatuated with.
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 07 Feb 2019, 9:05 am

Yes, Fullbore TR, F Class TR and Palmer style shooters use a 308 but if the rules allowed 6mm cases the guys who want to win would convert overnight. If you like that style of competition, good for you.

Is the 308 more widely used in competition shooting than the 22LR? Or is rimfire not considered proper target shooting?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 08 Feb 2019, 6:32 am

I had another look in the Mauser brochure and it seems the M18 is only offered in 308 and 30-06.
So that may simplify the selection process for the original poster somewhat unless somebody wants to start haranguing why a 30-06 may be a superior choice.
It is often easy to lose sight of the questions the original poster asks.
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by MJW380 » 08 Feb 2019, 7:04 am

I picked mine up in .243 just before Christmas, with work and kids I haven’t got it to the range to sight in yet, hopefully in the next couple of weeks.
MJW380
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 08 Feb 2019, 8:03 am

straightshooter wrote:I had another look in the Mauser brochure and it seems the M18 is only offered in 308 and 30-06.
So that may simplify the selection process for the original poster somewhat unless somebody wants to start haranguing why a 30-06 may be a superior choice.
It is often easy to lose sight of the questions the original poster asks.

Plenty of Cartridge its being offered in .308, .30-06, .243 Win., .270 Win., 7 mm Rem. Mag., .300 Win. Mag.

Ive got 1 on BO atm and in cartridge not on that list, it was produced previously and Ive been told it shouldnt be a problem just no eta date.

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bah » 08 Feb 2019, 8:46 pm

Thanks for the replies. I ended up ordering an M12 in 6.5 x 55 for some serious medium to long range/hunting and scored a nice deal on a Timla T1X .22LR with a whole bunch of included accessories for the small to mid range target shooting.
bah
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles