Wet Season on steroids near Townsville...

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: Wet Season on steroids near Townsville...

Post by Daddybang » 06 Feb 2019, 9:08 am

Unfortunately ya probably right Trekkin!! :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Patriot » 06 Feb 2019, 4:52 pm

I lived in Townsville from 1993-2001 never saw anything like this when I was their except Jan 1998 but not as bad as this.It seems from what I’ve seen in the media there is a lot of flooding in the suburb of Idalia, when I was their this area was pretty much undeveloped and a well know flood plain. Seems strange to build in a flood plain
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bill » 06 Feb 2019, 5:36 pm

unfortunately building on flood plains seem to be a popular thing in QLD, a shocking amount of rain but theyve been aware for over 150 years that big rain events occur on the Burdekin Delta.

Hopefully everyone bounces back quickly.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 06 Feb 2019, 6:15 pm

Patriot wrote:I lived in Townsville from 1993-2001 never saw anything like this when I was their except Jan 1998 but not as bad as this.It seems from what I’ve seen in the media there is a lot of flooding in the suburb of Idalia, when I was their this area was pretty much undeveloped and a well know flood plain. Seems strange to build in a flood plain

Exactly mate. I remember that also. Annandale and Idalia actually had cattle on it. When the flood happened then it was about 2m under water then.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 07 Feb 2019, 6:24 am

They started building a lot of these places up a few years back when Townsville had been dryer than a nuns c@#t for several years and a lot of people had forgotten what a wet season is genuinely capable of delivering. Also successive govts have been trying to deliver nthe "Flood Proof" Bruce highway so they've done mitigation works in areas that have then pushed flood waters into areas that didn't previously flood. One day the polliscum will realize that flood proofing the Bruce is a pipe dream and will put the money into purchasing a barge and aircraft to use when the highway cuts. :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 08 Feb 2019, 7:14 am

Ah...gotta love the sentences some reorters say...

Watching ABC news for 5 mins this morning...
The studio host was talking to the reporter out in flooded areas...

The studio host says something like...'while you were talking we've been watching the pictures, & the floods just look like a ... (wait for it... ;) )...a sea of water'... :P

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Now thats got to be one of the cleverest analogies ive ever heard...!!
A flood looks like a sea of water... :lol:...ffs :roll:

That there is something id expect to hear on channel 9... :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 08 Feb 2019, 7:32 am

:lol: That's probably the same genius that wrote a story a few days back that describes the low moving in a "West South Easterly" direction!!! :clap: :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 08 Feb 2019, 7:53 am

:lol:

Thank god the stars i follow when i find myself misplaced in a paddock while spotlighting dont move like that low pressure celll...
Id have knocked over a few fences & long run out of deisel by now... :lol:

Thats fantastic...
The low pressure cell moving in a west/sou-east direction has caused a flood of rain that looks like a sea of water... :lol:

Moments indeed worthy of youtube...!!

It must be Trump i tell ya...!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 09 Feb 2019, 6:56 am

Hey Rod are you and yours alright out there??
:drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 09 Feb 2019, 11:46 am

Yeah, We only caught around 35-50mm across the place.

Not enough to fend off a drought, but plenty enough to get some green grass happening. No running water to speak of, but the livestock are picking up as we watch.

Sister lives 100kms North, and they got just under 100mm. If you go another 150kms North of there, you start getting into seriously scarey rain.

Talking to a bloke this morning; his brother works in the Cattle industry in Cloncurry. Brother reckons the estimates the death-toll in livestock will firm up somewhere between 500,000 and 1,000,000 dead, with his suggestion it's likely to be closer to the Million. He was saying that properties up there have lost EVERYTHING; cattle, horses, roos, THE LOT.
I saw a figure yesterday, that there are 11,000,000 cattle in QLD.
If even 80% of the deaths are cattle, then they could be talking nearly 5-7% of the QLD cattle herd dead in one week.
Farrrrrkkkk!!!

Bloody glad/relieved that we were on the edge.

Not sure what that thing up over Cairns is doing; looks like it could spin up into a cyclone??
[PLEASE tell me I'm freaking wrong!]

All good here...

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 09 Feb 2019, 11:58 am

So you are worried that it might turn into a north western south easterly cell. Or would it be a easterly southern western northerly cell

.....and sorry it's really bad way to define a cyclone
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 10 Feb 2019, 3:22 pm

Good to hear ua came through it alright Rod :drinks:
It's a tragedy that all the mob out around the isa and Winton etc had been (like uou guys I suppose) have been desperate for rain and when they get it after hanging on for so bloody long it wipes the herds out :cry:
I reckon we should be right for cyclones for a couple of weeks yet :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Previous

Return to Off topic - General conversation