Bedding Compounds

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Bedding Compounds

Post by Stix » 06 Feb 2019, 9:30 am

Bedding compounds...

Is there any reasons why other epoxy products arent used over/or instead of the JB Weld & Devcon... products such as the Selleys or other equivelants..?

Is it strength, thermal expansion, grip strength etc? Or Just because...

Just curious...?
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Bedding Compounds

Post by trekin » 06 Feb 2019, 10:41 am

Just because. Because that is what the old fellas down the range use, and they'll be the first to tell you how JB Weld & Devcon and only JB Weld & Devcon allow them to shoot the arsehole out of a gnat at 25 meters with their 30 ought 6.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bill » 06 Feb 2019, 10:58 am

I find Devon finicky to get to bond to synthectic stocks, love glass easy to work with and easy to trim overflow.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 06 Feb 2019, 12:55 pm

Thanks guys... :thumbsup:

Bill wrote:I find Devon finicky to get to bond to synthectic stocks, love glass easy to work with and easy to trim overflow.

Bloody hell Bill--you throwing a spanner in the works of this mind... :)
It'llbe a timber stock--im getting (trying) organised to do my brno --re this thread...
enoughgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9730
(Brno Mod 2 bedding)

Blackwoods here have the devcon the same prices as ebay so i was gonna pick some up in a few hours on the way home...

Is the glass easy going to be substantially better for me to work with for this project...? :unknown:

Keeping in mind ive not done this before... :unknown:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Supaduke » 06 Feb 2019, 1:38 pm

I have used acraglass kits. Enough mix for two or three rifles . Nice thick, easy to work with consistency, long working time. Includes everything you need to do the job, including release agent.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 06 Feb 2019, 3:11 pm

Stix wrote:Bedding compounds...

Is there any reasons why other epoxy products arent used over/or instead of the JB Weld & Devcon... products such as the Selleys or other equivelants..?

Just curious...?

I've never needed to bed a rifle, but I've used Devcon to shape the exhaust bowls and ports in cylinder heads, it's astonishing stuff.
If I were going to bed a rifle I would most likely order some Acraglas Gel from Brownells.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 07 Feb 2019, 7:14 am

bladeracer wrote:
Stix wrote:Bedding compounds...

Just curious...?

I've never needed to bed a rifle, but I've used Devcon to shape the exhaust bowls and ports in cylinder heads, it's astonishing stuff.
If I were going to bed a rifle I would most likely order some Acraglas Gel from Brownells.

Why would you use this Blade...?
Particular reason(s) of just coz...?
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Feb 2019, 7:22 am

Nathan Forsters bedding compound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB_zxg2VnbY
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by marksman » 07 Feb 2019, 9:13 am

the reason for using the devcon is it is tough and it does not shrink or deteriorate like some others do :thumbsup:
jb weld is another good one but different to use as it is very runny, still good to use

I'm not sure if you can get Nathan Fosters soup across the ditch anymore :unknown:

anyway Stix devcon is the go IMHO unless you are doing up a classic rifle that you need to try and keep the colour the same and do not want to see any bedding material then use acraglass stained to the colour of your rifle but be warned it will not last like devcon does
good luck with it Stix :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 07 Feb 2019, 11:09 am

bigfellascott wrote:Nathan Forsters bedding compound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB_zxg2VnbY

I used this stuff a couple of years ago and it has held up very well in a laminate stock and in Walnut. It would be a pity if you cannot get it now. Not quite as convenient as Blakwoods supplied Devcon.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 07 Feb 2019, 12:19 pm

Stix wrote:
bladeracer wrote:I've never needed to bed a rifle, but I've used Devcon to shape the exhaust bowls and ports in cylinder heads, it's astonishing stuff.

Why would you use this Blade...?
Particular reason(s) of just coz...?

Purely on reputation, and watching Mark Novak using it to bed and repair stocks.

I really like Devcon, if it can withstand tens of thousands of kilometers in the bowl of an intake valve I doubt it'd ever come loose in a rifle stock. When I posted "exhaust" ports I meant intakes, I've never needed to build up an exhaust bowl.

If I already had Devcon on hand I would use it, if I had to order it anyway I would order Acraglas Gel.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 07 Feb 2019, 8:45 pm

Ok cool...thanks guys..all very hrlpful so far...sppreciate it. :thumbsup: :drinks:

So...im leaning toward devcon for above experience & comments on strength, & the fact its over the counter only 15 mins away...BUT...im also hoping this epoxy will do another job for me.....(im feeling confident it will given some replies above :) ) & thought id ask your opinion of this too... :)

My old heavy claever that needs a new handle...
Will Devcon be a suitable glue for this (wood handle onto thin steel tang...)
Keeping in mind it will be bashed about... :unknown:

Im going to post this question in the other thread too for maximum traction, just incase knife handle replacement experts dont see it here...
Putting new handles on old knives
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11234

And thanks again :thumbsup:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by straightshooter » 08 Feb 2019, 6:46 am

Just about all epoxy resins are chemically similar.
The big difference lies in the filler that is mixed in with the resin components.
So JB weld, devcon, araldite etc. use much the same resins but use differing filler material. That filler material generally defines the characteristics and uses for that particular brand of epoxy such as temperature resistance, impact resistance, machineability or chemical resistance.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Return to Gunsmithing