204ruger brass? What are you using?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

204ruger brass? What are you using?

Post by Cooper » 02 Feb 2019, 9:57 am

Hi all

I went to buy a bag of Norma 204 ruger brass (100) and they wanted $208. I had to check what I last paid. But it was $115 per a bit over a year ago. Big price jump. I don’t really rate the Hornady stuff that highly. I’ve ordered a bag of Winchester $46 per 100 and a bag of Remington $69 per 100. I’ll post what I think when I get it. Interested to see other people’s experience with different brass in the 204.

I also have some once fired Sellior and Bellot brass. So I might reload some of that and see how it goes also.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: 204ruger brass? What are you using?

Post by SCJ429 » 02 Feb 2019, 10:20 am

I use Hornady and with a bit of prep it is OK. Norma would be better but you have to weigh up the cost.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 02 Feb 2019, 10:21 am

Cooper wrote:Hi all

I went to buy a bag of Norma 204 ruger brass (100) and they wanted $208. I had to check what I last paid. But it was $115 per a bit over a year ago. Big price jump. I don’t really rate the Hornady stuff that highly. I’ve ordered a bag of Winchester $46 per 100 and a bag of Remington $69 per 100. I’ll post what I think when I get it. Interested to see other people’s experience with different brass in the 204.

I also have some once fired Sellior and Bellot brass. So I might reload some of that and see how it goes also.

Norma and Hornady, I don't think I have any other .204 brass.
I have no complaints about the Hornady brass.
I've bought two lots of Winchester brass in different cartridges (.243 and .30-06) and I consider it the lowest quality of anything I've used.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 02 Feb 2019, 10:27 am

What sort of accuracy are you expecting from your 204? If 1/2 inch is all you are after then the Hornady brass will get you there.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Feb 2019, 10:50 am

Remington or Winchester for me, I don't get fussy about brass, it's just got to hold powder and projectile. I get 1/4 groups if I can be bothered shooting em (only interested in 1 hole groups myself and that's on fur!) :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bruiser64 » 02 Feb 2019, 11:43 am

I am using Norma brass that I bought at my local gun store for about a $120 a few months ago. I have some Hornady brass I got with the rifle. It seems ok, but I can’t attest to it’s provenance. I don’t mind prepping brass so would look at Hornady or Winchester brass. I am with Bigfella, it is purely for hunting and if it gets the job done, it will be fine by me.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Cooper » 02 Feb 2019, 12:08 pm

I wasn’t expecting much with Winchester brass. That’s why I thought I’d try the Remington as well.

I started with Hornady brass. I had a couple of split necks straight out of the box. I think I paid $59 for 50 of the Hornady brass. So the Norma was about the same. But much better IMO.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Stix » 02 Feb 2019, 1:23 pm

I use Norma.
One lot of 100 bout 2 yrs ago, & another a year-ish ago...
Both the 120ish mark from memory.

I priced some 22-250 norma a few months ago & they wanted more than i payed for Lapua... :wtf:

Its a worry if that price increase is across the board...sheesh...!!

Just edited that...lots of 100 for $120ish
Last edited by Stix on 02 Feb 2019, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by southwest shooter » 02 Feb 2019, 7:27 pm

Sellier Bellot , bye the ammo , fire once then reload ,simples.
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 02 Feb 2019, 9:07 pm

southwest shooter wrote:Sellier Bellot , bye the ammo , fire once then reload ,simples.

That S&B stuff makes my targets look like i patterened a shotgun when put thru mine...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Cooper » 07 Feb 2019, 8:00 am

Got the Winchester brass. As I was expecting. The quality doesn't look that great. I've load few up and will probably test on the weekend. The one bad thing I've noticed is the Winchester brass is pretty much at the maximum case lenght before even being fired. Pretty sure I'll be trimming after the first firing.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by marksman » 07 Feb 2019, 8:52 am

Cooper wrote:Got the Winchester brass. As I was expecting. The quality doesn't look that great. I've load few up and will probably test on the weekend. The one bad thing I've noticed is the Winchester brass is pretty much at the maximum case lenght before even being fired. Pretty sure I'll be trimming after the first firing.

I cant talk about the 204 as I dont shoot one but in regards to winchester brass I have personally found it once match prepped to be very good
you will have to cull to be consistent but when you have a good batch it will last for a long time,
in new cases I usually have to put aside probably 2-3 in every 100 or so, its not that these cases are no good just not the same as the others
I'm sure you will be happy with your winchester cases :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by southwest shooter » 08 Feb 2019, 10:24 am

Stix wrote:
southwest shooter wrote:Sellier Bellot , bye the ammo , fire once then reload ,simples.

That S&B stuff makes my targets look like i patterened a shotgun when put thru mine...

What ! You must be doing something wrong ,
My howa is shooting 1/2 inch with a 32 gn zmax .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by wannabustbunnies » 23 Feb 2019, 7:52 am

I got Norma brass from the Australian Eurooptic store for a good price, better than most places I had found it anyway.

https://www.eurooptic.com.au/norma-unpr ... x-136.html
wannabustbunnies
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 23 Feb 2019, 8:07 am

southwest shooter wrote:
Stix wrote:

Yea same here SouWst... :thumbsup:
I just meant the S&B factory ammo is no good...pretty sure i still got a box stuffed in the back of the safe somewhere :unknown:
(I used to let people new to shooting let it off at the range so not sure how much is left)

if you're ever over here & i can find it, its yours... :thumbsup:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 23 Feb 2019, 8:10 am

wannabustbunnies wrote:I got Norma brass from the Australian Eurooptic store for a good price, better than most places I had found it anyway.

https://www.eurooptic.com.au/norma-unpr ... x-136.html

Good to know wbb...
Thanks for posting... :thumbsup:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by southwest shooter » 23 Feb 2019, 8:33 am

Stix wrote:
southwest shooter wrote:
Stix wrote:

I just meant the S&B factory ammo is no good...pretty sure i still got a box stuffed in the back of the safe somewhere :unknown:
(I used to let people new to shooting let it off at the range so not sure how much is left)

Oh I see , I misunderstood !
Surprisingly my howa loves the stuff also , which part of the country are you in , I'll come grab the box of S/B.
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 23 Feb 2019, 9:02 am

southwest shooter wrote:
Stix wrote:
southwest shooter wrote:
Stix wrote:

Oh I see , I misunderstood !
Surprisingly my howa loves the stuff also , which part of the country are you in , I'll come grab the box of S/B.

Metro Adel...
Dont start the car yet mate...best i find it first... :lol:
As i eluded to earlier, im not sure how much is left...id hate for you to get here & me greet you with a box of ammo that has 18 empty, & 2 live rounds in it... :lol:

Where are you...south west vic...?
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by southwest shooter » 23 Feb 2019, 11:55 am

Spot on , she's a fair drive to Adelaide Town. .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 23 Feb 2019, 2:40 pm

southwest shooter wrote:Spot on , she's a fair drive to Adelaide Town. .

Well if there's any left ill send you a pm when im heading down that way...
Should be down SE once or twice before end of June chasing little fluffy tail doggie looking critters...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Cooper » 23 Feb 2019, 3:27 pm

But of an update. Got the Remington brass I ordered. It was $69 per 100. Haven't done anything with it yet. Also got a bag of Norma brass at my local. It was on the shelf. I did buy a heap of other stuff. But got the Norma brass for $100 for the bag of 100. So pretty happy with that.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition