Lever Action Advice

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Lever Action Advice

Post by MJW380 » 09 Feb 2019, 9:14 am

Hey all, so I’ve decided that I want a lever action for my next rifle, specifically in .357 magnum, and was after opinions/suggestions on makes and models from people that have them. Would just be for plinking, bit of fun gun.
MJW380
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Lever Action Advice

Post by SCJ429 » 09 Feb 2019, 9:44 am

In my experience the 45/70 is a fun plinking round and is available in lever actions. It can be loaded to mild velocities if you like.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by groundhog » 09 Feb 2019, 9:58 am

I have a Marlin 1894c in 357, pre-remington great rifle. Smooth slick action and trigger - after a little bit of work.
I also have a Browning B-92 in 357 which is another great rifle slick and smooth but in a much more positive mechanical way than the marlin.
I have owned a Rossi 357 stainless carbine and it was a tack driver but internally too rough and it had a way of damaging cases on ejecting them.
I also owned a S/S Marlin 1894c for a time that was one of the early remington takeover rifles and I can unequivocally state do not get a marlin from this period.

Some people like 94 marlins some 92 winchesters both will shoot, as I said rossi wasn't bad but I have seen troublesome rifles from all manufacturers. I will say however that a lot of the more troublesome rifles have been tuned by amateurs which doesn't help.
groundhog
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 09 Feb 2019, 10:18 am

MJW380 wrote:Hey all, so I’ve decided that I want a lever action for my next rifle, specifically in .357 magnum, and was after opinions/suggestions on makes and models from people that have them. Would just be for plinking, bit of fun gun.

I'm sure you would be very happy with a winchester lever .357 for plinking fun :drinks:

a 44-40 would be as good for fun :thumbsup: www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=140346
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 09 Feb 2019, 10:27 am

May be a bit exy, but here's a 2006 JM Marlin, described as excellent cond., looks like an octagon barrel. They're out there, and often a bit cheaper than this. Condition/supply/demand.
https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=143622

No, it's not mine. I have enough of them already :D
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 09 Feb 2019, 11:56 am

All leavers are " bit of fun gun" .
I have 3, .22 Uberti , 30/30 Marlin, 38 s/357 Rossi as most will tell you they all needed some slicking up hardly ever use the Uberti bit of a pain to load in forward feed tube mag the marlin was a lot more work to get to wear I needed/wanted it but not hard a project both of these I found I needed a scope on ( 63 year old eyes ) but not hard to fit.
The Rossi was a tack driver out of the box just a bit clunky I fitted a Lyman peep sight to it next will be a 45/70 or 44/40 not sure yet what brand that Winchester is tempting .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 09 Feb 2019, 1:13 pm

I have owned the Rossi in 357 and the marlin in 44 mag I could never really get into the 44 but I carried the 357 a lot unscoped for pigs. Extremely light to carry I’m chasing to buy one again My main rifle now is the browning lever in 243. But I never really feel like it’s a close range light handy rifle It’s more of a scoped long range flat shooting accurate rifle
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 09 Feb 2019, 1:15 pm

Mate what’s your budget? Also will you handload for it?
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by MJW380 » 09 Feb 2019, 2:01 pm

Hi, was hopeing to get it done for around a neat $1000, had my heart set on a Winchester but they seem a bit thin on the ground, toyed with the idea of buying a new Rossi a few years ago, maybe I should have, they seem to have gone up a bit in price. Also I’ve been looking at the new Marlin 1894’s, their around $1300 new, which I would do, but then have seen Henry and Chiappa’s about too. There’s a Chiappa new on used guns for around $1500, looks like a real nice piece of timber in it, colour case hardened, just haven’t seen one in person. Yeah I would reload for it, although I haven’t reloaded pistol rounds yet, just rifle.
MJW380
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 09 Feb 2019, 3:27 pm

Reloading pistol is a cinch - just be sure to get carbide dies and clean them regularly. Don't bother lubing and only clean your brass when you run into cycling issues (well that's what I do, but I'm lazy :P ). The link that No1_49r posted (https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=143622) is really probably the best option - the heavier barreled CBs are very accurate, and Marlins are easily scoped. Plus the older JM marlins are noticeably better quality than the new remlin ones, so chances are the fit, finish, function and trigger on that rifle will be second to none. I'd suck it up and be jumping on that ASAP if you can afford it - the CBs don't come around all that often, and that one isn't priced too badly considering its apparent condition.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 09 Feb 2019, 6:23 pm

MJW380 wrote:Hey all, so I’ve decided that I want a lever action for my next rifle, specifically in .357 magnum, and was after opinions/suggestions on makes and models from people that have them. Would just be for plinking, bit of fun gun.

I have a Marlin 1894 in .44 Magnum and an Uberti 1866 Yellowboy in .38 Special. Both are fun to shoot. I would lean toward the .44 Mag though, you can load it down to subsonic loads with light bullets for plinking fun, but also load it up to near .45-70 levels for hunting and Metallic Silhouette. I would recommend that if you want to be able to shoot cast bullets though, you don't get a Marlin with a MicroGroove barrel - get the cut-rifling model instead.

If you think you might want to mount a scope at some point, keep in mind than most top-eject actions can make scope mounting difficult.

I like the Rossi Puma 16" myself, and I want to get a pair in .357 and .44 Magnums eventually. These are top-eject but scope mounts are available to mount an offset scope, or a Scout scope on the barrel.

I was looking at a Winchester 94 last week in .30-30 that I might grab as well.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cracker » 09 Feb 2019, 7:31 pm

bladeracer wrote:

I have a Marlin 1894 in .44 Magnum and an Uberti 1866 Yellowboy in .38 Special. Both are fun to shoot. I would lean toward the .44 Mag though, you can load it down to subsonic loads with light bullets for plinking fun, but also load it up to near .45-70 levels for hunting and Metallic Silhouette. I would recommend that if you want to be able to shoot cast bullets though, you don't get a Marlin with a MicroGroove barrel - get the cut-rifling model instead.

If you think you might want to mount a scope at some point, keep in mind than most top-eject actions can make scope mounting difficult.

I like the Rossi Puma 16" myself, and I want to get a pair in .357 and .44 Magnums eventually. These are top-eject but scope mounts are available to mount an offset scope, or a Scout scope on the barrel.

I was looking at a Winchester 94 last week in .30-30 that I might grab as well.

cant ever go wrong with a winchester 94 in 30-30.
out of all the stuff iv used seem to always come back to the 94 in 30-30
the 44 mag loaded up vs the 30-30 would be good fun too
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 09 Feb 2019, 8:23 pm

cracker wrote:
bladeracer wrote:I was looking at a Winchester 94 last week in .30-30 that I might grab as well.

cant ever go wrong with a winchester 94 in 30-30.
out of all the stuff iv used seem to always come back to the 94 in 30-30
the 44 mag loaded up vs the 30-30 would be good fun too

I bought two milsurps off a guy last week. Picked them up yesterday and he tells me he's now decided to sell his No.1Mk3 and the .30-30. More PtA's I think.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 10 Feb 2019, 6:30 am

groundhog wrote:I have a Marlin 1894c in 357, pre-remington great rifle. Smooth slick action and trigger - after a little bit of work.
I also have a Browning B-92 in 357 which is another great rifle slick and smooth but in a much more positive mechanical way than the marlin.
I have owned a Rossi 357 stainless carbine and it was a tack driver but internally too rough and it had a way of damaging cases on ejecting them.
I also owned a S/S Marlin 1894c for a time that was one of the early remington takeover rifles and I can unequivocally state do not get a marlin from this period.

Some people like 94 marlins some 92 winchesters both will shoot, as I said rossi wasn't bad but I have seen troublesome rifles from all manufacturers. I will say however that a lot of the more troublesome rifles have been tuned by amateurs which doesn't help.

+1 on all this. i had a 357 rossi , which was very accurate and worked reliably, but in some respects a bit rough round the edges with a hard wood stock that cracked . traded it on a new marlin 357 which except for a ho-hum trigger , has been a great rifle . the rossi had a better trigger and was very accurate with the standard sights. i went with the marlin as it's very easy to pull apart to clean , and is well catered for in aftermarket parts. as i need scopes more as i get older ( i let some great old swede mausers go cause i couldn't accurately use iron sights anymore ), i went with the marlin on account of how easy it is to scope mount. i went with a 1-4x20 loopy , and i can get a seriously fast bead on targets with this scope. i seriously considered 44 mag , if i was pig shooting very regularly i would lean that way. the thing i noticed about 44 barrels is how thin the barrel wall is compared to the 357 . this would have to wander more in a rapid fire scenario i would think ? probably not much of a issue in hunting i would imagine . but as a plinker/gallery rifle/ hunting gun , i beleive 357 is more flexiable and a bit cheaper to reload for . that's not to say a good 158gn bullet in lead or a soft point made for rifle speeds like a hornady 158 xtpfp wont do a number on game . i shot a 2" group at 50 of my elbows on the bench yesterday using a max load of lil' gun powder that according to the marlin forum should be pushing around 1900 fps . no preasure signs and it's got some thump. this will be confirmed with a crono at a later date after i fine tune some loads for other rifles . at a later date i plan on exploring lead loads for plinking and hunting . i can honestly say my marlin is "one ton of lever gun fun ! " :lol: this is my experience, i hope someone finds this info useful. cheers

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 10 Feb 2019, 11:18 am

pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 10 Feb 2019, 6:47 pm

If you’re looking to spend up to $1500 I’d steer clear of Chiappa. I had one and it definitely wasn’t worth what I paid for it :(
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 10 Feb 2019, 8:34 pm

in2anity wrote:If you’re looking to spend up to $1500 I’d steer clear of Chiappa. I had one and it definitely wasn’t worth what I paid for it :(

i've heard some negative stuff on these as well . they look nice but :D

bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 11 Feb 2019, 7:38 am

bigrich wrote: i've heard some negative stuff on these as well . they look nice but :D

Yeah the finish on em are real nice, but in terms of function and durability they are certainly no Winchesters.... don't get me wrong, a well priced one might still be worth it, but I wouldn't say they are worth much more than a Rossi.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Mattraff » 01 Mar 2019, 11:35 am

I looked at them all and bought a Marlin 1894 in .357 and have just fitted it with a Leupold VX Freedom 1.5-4×20 pig Plex. Reasons were everyone sells Marlin and after talking to some western action guys that's predominantly what they use. I also had a Uberti 44 black powder pistol years ago and while it looked great was not very solid and started feeling old very quickly. The Italian guns really look nice but the Marlin will last.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 01 Mar 2019, 12:31 pm

Good choice you wont be sorry .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 01 Mar 2019, 12:40 pm

pomemax wrote:Good choice you wont be sorry .

+1
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by wrenchman » 01 Mar 2019, 12:50 pm

good pick i hope it last you years
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigrich » 01 Mar 2019, 2:46 pm

in2anity wrote:
pomemax wrote:Good choice you wont be sorry .

+1

+2 .the more I use mine the better it shoots . After a bit of hand loading it doesn’t shoot to bad . The scope I have has a very thick recticle that covers most of a 6” target at 50 but she’s a great shooter
Attachments
92970371-498A-4A37-9CA5-37C07CF23F48.jpeg
This a 200 yard target I set up at 50. Ignore the smaller holes, their from setting up a scope on my hornet
92970371-498A-4A37-9CA5-37C07CF23F48.jpeg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 5554 times
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 01 Mar 2019, 2:50 pm

I'm just in the process of bedding a Marlin actually:
release.jpg
release.jpg (707.9 KiB) Viewed 5554 times

and there's certainly no mention of lever brands other than Marlin and Winchester in this book:
accurizing.jpg
accurizing.jpg (665.92 KiB) Viewed 5554 times
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 01 Mar 2019, 2:53 pm

bigrich wrote:+2 .the more I use mine the better it shoots . After a bit of hand loading it doesn’t shoot to bad . The scope I have has a very thick recticle that covers most of a 6” target at 50 but she’s a great shooter

Good shootin BR - gotta be happy with that! IMO Marlins are generally the pack leader when it comes to accuracy. Just curious BR, how do your groups pattern when the barrel starts to heat up?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Diamond Jim » 03 Mar 2019, 1:24 am

I've owned a Rossi in .38/.357 for nearly 40 years. I bought it when they first came on to the Aussie market. It went back under warranty for headspace issues after the first box through it but has never missed a beat since. I use it primarily for IPSC 3 gun competition now but it was a great rifle to carry on a motorcycle chasing feral goats. I love it. Fun to shoot, accurate, one of the last I'd part with. Very light to carry but full-power factory loads can be surprisingly punishing due to low weight and narrow metal butt plate. After 40 years mine is smooth as silk but google will tell you how to polish the action to your satisfaction.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 03 Mar 2019, 9:26 am

in2anity wrote:
bigrich wrote:+2 .the more I use mine the better it shoots . After a bit of hand loading it doesn’t shoot to bad . The scope I have has a very thick recticle that covers most of a 6” target at 50 but she’s a great shooter

Good shootin BR - gotta be happy with that! IMO Marlins are generally the pack leader when it comes to accuracy. Just curious BR, how do your groups pattern when the barrel starts to heat up?

the more i shoot my 357, the more it seems to settle in as a reliable shooter .i haven't done any rapid fire tests, just consistant bench shooting. if the barrel heats up , i give it a rest . but it seems the group pattern spreads less the more everything "beds in". i swapped out my 1-4x20 heavy recticle vx-1 leupold , the crosshairs seem to be a dark silver that you can see against dark "targets" , no batteries required. but, i got a good deal on a loopy vx-r hog scope. 1.25-4x20 , 30mm tube, nice fine red dot. the finer recticle is better for paper shooting accuracy for load developement. the following pics are from range time yesterday. ignore the smaller holes, this target has been used a few times . i've settled on lil' gun for powder , as this works great in my 22 hornet also . 158 XTP hornady projectiles are my pick, whether i use the normal hollow points or the stouter 158 XTP FP that are meant for rifle velocity, will depend on a bit of feild testing and what game i'm encountering i guess. the only thing about this marlin is the heavy trigger release. i reckon i could tighten my groups with a better trigger . might try a WWG trigger.
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 03 Mar 2019, 9:30 am

Here’s yesterday’s effort
Attachments
E40FBD6E-04D6-4144-A322-7CE295523311.jpeg
158 xtp fp fired as quick as I could load at 50
E40FBD6E-04D6-4144-A322-7CE295523311.jpeg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 5514 times
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 03 Mar 2019, 9:35 am

Here’s a slow deliberate group, the flyer on the left is due to me and marlins “great “ trigger :sarcasm: 158 xtp hp’s . Notice the point of impact is lower, even though both are 18 gn loads of Lil’Gun
Attachments
CC85E51A-D1B2-4215-B8F0-05634441AC2B.jpeg
CC85E51A-D1B2-4215-B8F0-05634441AC2B.jpeg (1.31 MiB) Viewed 5514 times
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by meawls » 03 Mar 2019, 9:40 am

I run a pre Remington Marlin 1894C 357. It’s absolutely scary accurate, and has won medals at national level, despite me shooting it competition on average less than once a year!! The action seems rougher than what I’d like, and it has an annoying habit of flopping half open while being reloaded unless you consciously hold the lever shut ... but I’d never part with it purely from the accuracy perspective. Taken more than its share of porkers without any fuss too. Have recently started experimenting with subsonic loads using trail boss ... fun. Whatever you settle on I’d recommend you outlay a little on reloading stuff and experiment to hell ... as others have said, that pistol caliber is as easy as pie to reload ... and pretty cheap too!!
meawls
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles