Pull through's / Bore snakes

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Pull through's / Bore snakes

Post by Stix » 10 Feb 2019, 11:21 am

With regard to bore snakes/pull through's...

Anyone compared the likes of the cheapies available on ebay etc to the pricey ones like the Hoppes etc in terms of...

*quality of manufacture & material,
*ease of washing,
*the qualty & amount of the metal in them used for the brush section,
*are/do they appear to be made to the same 'diameter'...?,
*any mishaps with them in terms of the pull string ripping off while material is wedged in the bore...?,
*Any general observations, warnings, comments & experience with them...? :unknown:

I need a couple more so thought id ask you guys before i get them... :)

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Pull through's / Bore snakes

Post by No1_49er » 10 Feb 2019, 11:51 am

Stix wrote:With regard to bore snakes/pull through's...
*Any general observations, warnings, comments & experience with them...? :unknown:

Pull-throughs - a gunsmiths best friend. Mine has many examples.
May be OK for the very occasional use in the field, but many a rifle has been damaged, either at the crown or chamber, with their repeated use.
Why not use a one piece rod and a chamber, or muzzle, guide? Even a Martini, or a Browning BLR, can be cleaned successfully from the muzzle using a good guide.
Do your rifle a favour.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 10 Feb 2019, 12:23 pm

No1_49er wrote:

May be OK for the very occasional use in the field, but many a rifle has been damaged, either at the crown or chamber, with their repeated use.
Why not use a one piece rod and a chamber, or muzzle, guide? Even a Martini, or a Browning BLR, can be cleaned successfully from the muzzle using a good guide.
Do your rifle a favour.

Thanks.

Yes i do 99.9 % of my "proper" cleaning with rods & guides.... :thumbsup:

However, I like to carry pull-thru's in the field (well at least to the farm/have them in the car/ammo box) just in case i need them...i also like to give one a whip through every now & then if shooting targets with the 22lr & want to change ammo...or if away on a hunt for a few days, just whip one through the walkabout at the end of every day if its hammered a good few goats....then there's the quick lazy clean for the shotguns... :)

I need to replace the good Hoppes ones i once had & payed good money for, so thought id ask the questions above before shelling out another $120 for more of them....call me a stooge, but money is seriously tight at the moment--otherwise id be burning fuel & powder up the farm in stead of sitting here.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by No1_49er » 10 Feb 2019, 1:54 pm

120 bucks !! I might buy ONE for the rare possibility that it could clear a grubby barrel while in the field.
But a good Dewey rod will maybe set you back $65, and a Possum Hollow bore guide another $30 (for each action type) or go the Lyman route with their multi-fit version. You'll still be ahead on the $$
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 10 Feb 2019, 2:23 pm

No they dont cost that much...thats how much id have to spend if i bought every one i wanted at retail prices.

$22-$25ish each from memory.
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Feb 2019, 3:46 pm

Stix wrote:Thanks.

However, I like to carry pull-thru's in the field (well at least to the farm/have them in the car/ammo box) just in case i need them...i also like to give one a whip through every now & then if shooting targets with the 22lr & want to change ammo...or if away on a hunt for a few days, just whip one through the walkabout at the end of every day if its hammered a good few goats....then there's the quick lazy clean for the shotguns... :)

I need to replace the good Hoppes ones i once had & payed good money for, so thought id ask the questions above before shelling out another $120 for more of them....call me a stooge, but money is seriously tight at the moment--otherwise id be burning fuel & powder up the farm in stead of sitting here.

Save ya money and take ya cleaning rod Stix - you must shoot a lot of goats to require the bore to be cleaned after each day :D

I've left my rifles with a good 80-100rds down em before giving em a clean and they performed fine the whole time, I take a cleaning rod with me but not to clean with more so just in case I get a case stuck as such, that way I can poke the rod down the bore and tap the case out if it's needed.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by deye243 » 10 Feb 2019, 3:55 pm

No1_49er wrote:

Do your rifle a favour.

bigfellascott wrote:
Stix wrote:
No1_49er wrote:

Do your rifle a favour.

Thanks.

Save ya money and take ya cleaning rod Stix - you must shoot a lot of goats to require the bore to be cleaned after each day :D

I've left my rifles with a good 80-100rds down em before giving em a clean and they performed fine the whole time, I take a cleaning rod with me but not to clean with more so just in case I get a case stuck as such, that way I can poke the rod down the bore and tap the case out if it's needed.

X2
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 10 Feb 2019, 8:12 pm

Anyone compared the likes of the cheapies available on ebay etc to the pricey ones like the Hoppes etc in terms of...

*quality of manufacture & material,
*ease of washing,
*the qualty & amount of the metal in them used for the brush section,
*are/do they appear to be made to the same 'diameter'...?,
*any mishaps with them in terms of the pull string ripping off while material is wedged in the bore...?,

I have some for "just in case" but have never needed them.
I bought an M16-style cleaning kit with a sectioned rod for a few bucks and I'm much more comfortable carrying that than I would be dragging a bore snake through a rifle.
Like this one: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Universal-Gun-Cleaning-Kit-Set-Rifle-Pistol-Shotgun-Handgun-Firearm-Cleaner-Tool/132900704289
M16 Cleaning Kit.JPG
M16 Cleaning Kit.JPG (88.53 KiB) Viewed 7322 times

I buy jags and nylon brushes in bulk and add my own to the kit (.204, .224, .243, .284, .308 and .45 calibers as well as some bore mops for cleaning the chambers), along with some 2x4 patch and a piece of rag, and replace the oil bottle with some plastic vials for grease, oil and solvent.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-30pcs-10ml-Plastic-Centrifuge-Lab-Test-Tube-Vial-Sample-Container-with-Cap-IW/312430107313
10ml vials.JPG
10ml vials.JPG (94.05 KiB) Viewed 7322 times

I use these vials for 70gn charges of blackpowder, but you can get smaller vials if you wanted to save space. I also carry separately a small spray pack of WD40. Add some allen keys and a couple of dental picks and you should be good to go with most problems.
I don't think I've ever used it still, in fact, I'm not even sure if the rod is small enough to go down the .204 bore.

To push squibs out I use a length of aluminium rod, but I only have those here at home during load development.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 10 Feb 2019, 8:33 pm

i bought a lyman bore snake with a wire brush in the middle . i just use it to give my lever gun a quick clean . you'd have to use one a lot to damage the crown wouldn't you No1-49er ? i do pull down this marlin for a proper clean at home . i do have a brass guide for a cleaning rod from the muzzle end, but i don't like the idea of pushing everything back into the chamber. any thoughts fellas ? oh, this tricky bore snake cost me about $35 from my local GS stix

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 10 Feb 2019, 9:13 pm

Blade...those vials--is that price for each...or for 30 of them...?

It ssys 1/30 peices...so im not sure... :unknown:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 10 Feb 2019, 9:25 pm

Anyone know approximately how many millilitres a 308 case holds to the base of the neck...??? ...

(i figured it out Blade--i had to hop on the PC to figure it out...cheers)
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 10 Feb 2019, 9:44 pm

Stix wrote:Blade...those vials--is that price for each...or for 30 of them...?

It ssys 1/30 peices...so im not sure... :unknown:

That specific one is 30 for $5.80 delivered, plus GST. I bought a bulk lot of hundreds of them a few years back.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 10 Feb 2019, 9:46 pm

Stix wrote:Anyone know approximately how many millilitres a 308 case holds to the base of the neck...??? ...

Will depend on the brand, best to measure it yourself with your own brass. It will also vary depending on how it's been sized or formed.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 10 Feb 2019, 10:47 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Stix wrote:Anyone know approximately how many millilitres a 308 case holds to the base of the neck...??? ...

Will depend on the brand, best to measure it yourself with your own brass. It will also vary depending on how it's been sized or formed.

Just afrer a rough guesstimate Blade...or do you know how many grains does one of those vials hold of average rifle powder...?
Im just wondering for carrying pre weighed charges in those vials... :unknown:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 10 Feb 2019, 11:36 pm

Stix wrote:Just afrer a rough guesstimate Blade...or do you know how many grains does one of those vials hold of average rifle powder...?
Im just wondering for carrying pre weighed charges in those vials... :unknown:

Okay, most of the ADI rifle powders have similar density, but not close enough to give you an average capacity. The reason for using water is that it is always the same. Powder density will vary due to vibration, humidity, drop height, compression, grain size, and so on.

Mine are 5ml and 54mm long by 13.1mm diameter. I just put 65gn of AR2206H in one, stopping at where the top clips into it (to avoid flicking powder out when opening it). So yes, very handy if you wanted to do load development at the range without having to weigh charges out there.

There is a huge variety of types, including flat-bottom ones that you can stand up.
Attachments
70gn FFFg and 65gn AR2206H.jpg
70gn FFFg and 65gn AR2206H.jpg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 7255 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wooosaah » 11 Feb 2019, 8:57 am

I don't see a difference between the Hoppe's and the Chinese Ebay bore snakes. I have 1 of each for 22 and wouldn't be able to tell them apart.
wooosaah
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Stix » 11 Feb 2019, 9:13 am

Thanks Blade...thats a solution to a problem completely unrelated to this thread... :clap:

ill be buying some today...!!! :D
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 11 Feb 2019, 9:15 am

wooosaah wrote:I don't see a difference between the Hoppe's and the Chinese Ebay bore snakes. I have 1 of each for 22 and wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

Thanks woosaah...
And no problems pulling the cheap ones through...?
(Sorry if thats what you mean, but im just clarifying) :)
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 11 Feb 2019, 3:51 pm

Stix wrote:
wooosaah wrote:I don't see a difference between the Hoppe's and the Chinese Ebay bore snakes. I have 1 of each for 22 and wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

Thanks woosaah...

i would still feel more comfortable paying the extra for a genuine one . that's just me :unknown:

bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 11 Feb 2019, 4:15 pm

I've got a few hoppes bore snakes, i bought them all from an eBay seller named Lappy1960, pretty sure they are always under $20 from him, definately less then $25.

I tried 2 cheap chinese bore snakes, the 308 snake broke the 1st time i went to use it, and the 22 snake broke after maybe 5 or 10 uses
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Feb 2019, 1:03 pm

Pull throughs, i just make them im 5 minutes.

A barrel sinker with strong string and an old bore brush or jag. Or even just a loop in the end with some lightly oiled rag. There only use is to remove dust, dirt from a bore in the bush.
Last edited by Oldbloke on 12 Feb 2019, 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 12 Feb 2019, 3:45 pm

Spot on OB :drinks:
This is my 30/30 pull thru. :thumbsup: :drinks:

20190212_152452.jpg
20190212_152452.jpg (818.68 KiB) Viewed 6812 times
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Feb 2019, 4:53 pm

Some people just love being ripped off.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 12 Feb 2019, 6:37 pm

Daddybang wrote:Spot on OB :drinks:

20190212_152452.jpg

i bet you and OB are good at catching yabbies/redclaw with those pull-throughs as well hey DB ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 12 Feb 2019, 6:40 pm

20190212_152452.jpg

Whhaaaat...!??!

Thats a pull through---bore snake... :shock:

Sheesh... :huh:

If i had to guess, id have said that was a poor mans attempt at a Barra lure... :lol: :sarcasm:

I was gonna suggest upping the poundage of the trace ...!!! :silent:

But that explains why there's no hook...!!! :lol:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 12 Feb 2019, 6:43 pm

Stix wrote:

20190212_152452.jpg

Whhaaaat...!??!

Thats a pull through---bore snake... :shock:

Sheesh... :huh:

If i had to guess, id have said that was a poor mans attempt at a Barra lure... :lol: :sarcasm:

I was gonna suggest upping the poundage of the trace ...!!! :silent:

But that explains why there's no hook...!!! :lol:

probably steps up to heavy braid line for 45-70 stix :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

just kidding guys, good budget solution to save $ for other stuff

bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 12 Feb 2019, 6:44 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Some people just love being ripped off.

Thats subjective...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 12 Feb 2019, 8:10 pm

Christ,dad used a homemade bore snake for 30 years in his 788,the damn thing still shoots under 3/4" with decent handloads 39 years after he bought it.!
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by wooosaah » 13 Feb 2019, 9:19 am

Stix wrote:

Thanks woosaah...

Yeah, look the same and work the same. 1 Pull and bore is clean.
wooosaah
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Feb 2019, 9:23 am

An old brush makes a good pull through
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment