M12 Mauser

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

M12 Mauser

Post by bah » 05 Feb 2019, 7:55 pm

Hi there,

Just reaching out in respect to the M12. I wanted to know what the best chambering would be for extreme long range target shooting, with occasional use for small to medium game hunting. I want to make sure the configuration is right, considering they're on back order from Germany with a 6 month wait once the order is placed. If there are any owners out there that can recommend/point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it. Any advice on how to look after the timber once it arrives would be really appreciated.

Cheers

BAH
bah
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: M12 Mauser

Post by JimTom » 06 Feb 2019, 5:48 am

Have a think about the 6.5 Creedmoor mate. I am not a target shooter but apparently they go alright at long distance.
Can load them with 90gn pills to be similar to the 243 for smaller stuff. I load 143gn for pigs etc.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 06 Feb 2019, 6:49 am

Extreme long range, 300 RUM, 338 Lapua, 375 Cheytac. 50 BMG?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Rod_outbak » 06 Feb 2019, 8:04 am

Yeah..... Dont look like they make the M12 (or the M18) in any of the newer cartridges.

I was going to suggest either 6.5 Creedmoor, or maybe the 6mm Creedmoor, but neither seem to be available..

Somewhat ironic that they chamber the M12 in 22-250, .270, 6.5x55, .243 AND .308, and yet don't chamber one in .260 Rem or 6.5 Manbun...
[Wouldnt be hard to tool up for the newer chambers if you wanted to, with this lineup]

Taking into account the OP's requirements; If it was me, (and I appreciate everyone has personal tastes), I'd be looking at the Bergara B14 in 6.5 Manbun.
Or one of the Tikka T3's.
Or even look at one of the works of art from Ignition Custom Engineering (assuming they ever get their web shop back online).

But thats just my preference...
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bill » 06 Feb 2019, 9:04 am

yeap Id be grabbing Mauser 12 in 6.5x55, makes sense for the long action and has target runs on the board.

No point in phuckhing about with the slower 6.5 Man bun or 260 rem.

A lot more 6.5 swede fans in this country so if you get bored with it a pretty easy offload.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VlasECr_P8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-fcTUmQKXo
Last edited by Bill on 06 Feb 2019, 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 06 Feb 2019, 9:14 am

Bill wrote:yeap Id be grabbing Mauser 12 in 6.5x55, makes sense for the long action and has target runs on the board.

o point in ****** about with the slower 6.5 Man bun or 260 rem.

A lot more 6.5 swede fans in this country so if you get bored with it a pretty easy offload.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VlasECr_P8

Back to the Manbun Vs Swede debate. :crazy:
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Bill » 06 Feb 2019, 9:34 am

manbun works great in a short action, why waste ya time, Swede has a 100yr of target heritage and hunting runs on the board, there is no debate :lol: :thumbsup:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 06 Feb 2019, 8:39 pm

+1 for the swede :lol: :lol: :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bah » 08 Feb 2019, 8:34 pm

Thanks for all of the replies. After doing a considerable amount of research online, talking to range staff and taking into account all of your recommendations, I placed an order for an M12 Pure chambered for 6.5 x 55 Swede. My Zeiss Conquest HD5 3-15x55 just arrived in the post. Such a shame I have to wait a couple of months before mounting it on the Mauser!
bah
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 08 Feb 2019, 8:51 pm

Over what sort of range are you intending to shoot for your long range stuff? Extreme long range seems to start at one mile and go from there.

Loading for the Swede is a challenge because the load data is so conservative. Are you loading your own?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 08 Feb 2019, 9:42 pm

good stuff BAH . the swede in a modern rifle has so much potential .your going to love this rifle i reckon
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bah » 09 Feb 2019, 10:55 am

SCJ429 wrote:Over what sort of range are you intending to shoot for your long range stuff? Extreme long range seems to start at one mile and go from there.

Loading for the Swede is a challenge because the load data is so conservative. Are you loading your own?
bigrich wrote:good stuff BAH . the swede in a modern rifle has so much potential .your going to love this rifle i reckon

^^ Thanks bigrich, looking forward to posting my success story as soon as it arrives! I managed to organise a great deal on one as well. I called around to a few stores and managed to knock $800 off of the RRP at store in Brisbane. Not even Safari Firearms or Mialls could price match, and they are a big supplier of the Mauser range. There are quite a few different grain options out there for the 6.5 x 55 cartridge, but in the interest of saving money I'll start off with the 140 grain for zeroing and go from there. A 50 pack of Sellier & Bellot retails for around $70. I'm not all too familiar with loading my own, but if you recommend it then I'll have a look into it.

^^ SCJ429, I'm hoping to start at 800 yards and extend myself from there under the direction of a long-range coach I met at the club a few weeks back.
bah
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 09 Feb 2019, 12:39 pm

Factory ammunition has been woefully underpowered because customers may use it in weak WW1 actions. A 140 grain projectile may only punch out at 2400 fps which may be over 500 fps slower than you get when hand loading.

You may find 800 is a long way when you start out with a low powered scope, even if you can produce sub 1/4 inch groups at 100. At that range you need every bit of BC and speed you can get. Don't underestimate how difficult it is to hit something consistently at that distance, let alone with a factory rifle. I would shorten up your distance and work up to 800,
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 10 Feb 2019, 7:00 am

bah wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:Over what sort of range are you intending to shoot for your long range stuff? Extreme long range seems to start at one mile and go from there.

bigrich wrote:good stuff BAH . the swede in a modern rifle has so much potential .your going to love this rifle i reckon

^^ Thanks bigrich, looking forward to posting my success story as soon as it arrives! I managed to organise a great deal on one as well. I called around to a few stores and managed to knock $800 off of the RRP at store in Brisbane. Not even Safari Firearms or Mialls could price match, and they are a big supplier of the Mauser range. There are quite a few different grain options out there for the 6.5 x 55 cartridge, but in the interest of saving money I'll start off with the 140 grain for zeroing and go from there. A 50 pack of Sellier & Bellot retails for around $70. I'm not all too familiar with loading my own, but if you recommend it then I'll have a look into it.

^^ SCJ429, I'm hoping to start at 800 yards and extend myself from there under the direction of a long-range coach I met at the club a few weeks back.

mate, reloading can make a good rifle into a one hole weapon. go back through some of my old posts on 6.5 swedes and have a look at some of the handload groups i've posted . not match winning target rifle stuff, but more than good enough for a hunting rifle . most american ammo is low velocity inaccurate crap . hornady superformance is good but not cheap . if you can afford sako or norma it will shoot much better . that fmj S&B ammo never shot well for me . PPU 139 gn sp has shot reasonable and isn't expensive but it dirties up the bore quick . to really make 6.5x55 perform i would learn how to reload . most factory ammo is soft loaded on account of all the 100+ year old millitary rifles still getting around . loaded up in a strong modern rifle this cartridge really performs .there's a lot of guys on here that can give you good advice, but take everything with a grain of salt and take the time to study up on reloading and approach it very cautiously . hope this helps, cheers

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bah » 10 Feb 2019, 10:20 pm

bigrich wrote:
bah wrote:

mate, reloading can make a good rifle into a one hole weapon. go back through some of my old posts on 6.5 swedes and have a look at some of the handload groups i've posted . not match winning target rifle stuff, but more than good enough for a hunting rifle . most american ammo is low velocity inaccurate crap . hornady superformance is good but not cheap . if you can afford sako or norma it will shoot much better . that fmj S&B ammo never shot well for me . PPU 139 gn sp has shot reasonable and isn't expensive but it dirties up the bore quick . to really make 6.5x55 perform i would learn how to reload . most factory ammo is soft loaded on account of all the 100+ year old millitary rifles still getting around . loaded up in a strong modern rifle this cartridge really performs .there's a lot of guys on here that can give you good advice, but take everything with a grain of salt and take the time to study up on reloading and approach it very cautiously . hope this helps, cheers

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:

Hi bigrich,

You certainly do have a wealth of knowledge when it comes to reloading! I also found some great GRECO Teilmantel and Norma ammunition in 156 grain. I'd rather pay extra to ensure I'm not dirtying the bore, achieving the groupings I want and setting myself up for success in general.

I'll be sure to shoot some questions your way in future. Thanks heaps!
bah
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 11 Feb 2019, 5:04 am

Hey bah, I bought quite a bit of 156 gn Norma Vulcan cause it was cheap and I wanted the brass. It’s not overly accurate, doesn’t shoot tiny groups with a projectile like that, but it shoots very consistently . In the paddock it’s probably only good for large pigs, it just pencils straight through goats. I bought some sako 139 gn target ammo that made one hole at 100. Probably the one of the best group I ever shot actually . There’s people on here that know a lot more than me about 6.5 Swede than me. Take everything you read online with a bit of caution, If you plan on shooting a lot, and have a couple of other centre fire rifles reloading is a worthwhile thing. When you cost it up it’s a fair bit of initial cost for the gear compared to buying factory ammo .I do it for the technical challenge, shrinking my group size , and it gives you the ability to load for the job at hand to suit your rifle. Cheers
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles